The Skating Lesson 2018/2019

B.Cooper

I don't think we know that it's Rika's practice video - we can't see the videographer. I'm not sure where Rika is training, but assuming that it is a public space, then anyone could take video and post it online.

The video was taken at the Broadmoor World Arena Ice Hall, on the NHL rink, in Colorado Springs....the OLY training center sign is easily visible in the video. Hasn't Rika trained there in the past on occasion? ..

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I tried to watch but ended up fastforwarding through all of it. Every time I stopped it, Sandra was talking, and that is just bad for me. I actually think Jonathan should have his own show or make a new show with someone else. I find him to be good natured and easy to listen to and he has a lot of salient points but I do think he is stunted by Dave and then gets shut down or squirrelly about his points.

I really try not to be but I think I'm just over Dave and it has nothing or very little to do with the John saga.

FYI Youtube user "Fran" has a 25 minute recap of Europeans that is entirely on track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg8Wi5Xvjw

She does spend some time ranting about Alina/Eteri but that is warranted.

Rock2

I tried to watch but ended up fastforwarding through all of it. Every time I stopped it, Sandra was talking, and that is just bad for me. I actually think Jonathan should have his own show or make a new show with someone else.

I was in the same camp as you, fast forwarding. This one was a bit tiresome but the reality would be that Sandra wouldn't have time to watch all the videos so she could only comment on a handful. Since they'd have her for an hour plus, you fill it with other topics. I'm so over the whining about IJS not allowing for artistry and creativity. It's totally fine to be about artistry but that's what show skating is for. Do what you want with no rules for those who like that. For those who love rules and athletic challenge a bit more, then watch the sporting version. Shame this is so hard for some people to get through their heads.

If you dislike Sandra, then you wouldn't want to even click on this video, so I'm surprised you did. I tend to not look at one disinteresting video as my reason to stop watching the whole series. I'm just selective based on topic and guest.

Oddly, though, my overall reaction was opposite to yours. I FFWD through Jonathan. He's moderately interesting but his voice/regional accent is like nails on a chalkboard to me (e.g. yes /yeah = YAW!). I actually find Dave the interesting one. Agree or disagree he researches his subject throughly and is well-prepared for each video.

Rock2

FYI Youtube user "Fran" has a 25 minute recap of Europeans that is entirely on track.

Tried about 4 mins of it. Aside from the occasional valley girl vocal inflections my primary criticism is that she brings no value to the table herself in terms of perspective on some of the nuances of skating or backstories that are not well known to help explain what happened on the ice.

If you saw the score sheets and watched the videos this is thoroughly redundant. Good recap for those who didn't have even an hour of their own time to invest in following the event.

aftershocks

Banned Member
even if it’s a lot shorter.

I root for shorter please :drama: and more to the point fgs!!!** OMG Sandra, if she had anything scintillating, entertaining, productive or enlightening to say, I missed it (aside from Tracy Wilson and Sandra loving to "go out together every couple of months and celebrate each other" :yawn: :drama:). Oh yeah, and Sandra's nose-in-the-air assessment that "super-talented" Javi "owned Europeans, and he was friends with the ice." :lol:

I guess whenever Dave is in the doghouse, he's got Sandra Bezic (backing him up and) coming to the rescue. :p Jonathan was superfluous on this episode.

Of course Sandra is skilled and passionate about the sport, and she has a perspective that often is valid. But unfortunately, this TSL episode reminds me of all the reasons why I too often disliked Sandra Bezic's broadcast commentary. :COP:

** And I say that knowing I have a lot of trouble editing my posts on FSU! ;) Sure there's a lot to say about figure skating, but to keep it entertaining and informative on a public podcast, at least try not to be overly ego-centric and more on point to what the topic is supposed to be about. :duh:

I didn’t think it was boring at all - I thought it was really interesting. What it wasn’t was snarky or gossipy.

Hi Sandra. :D

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

ITA, if you don't mind some of Fran fan's mannerisms, she truly provides some on-point commentary. She wrapped up the men's event in about 6 1/2 minutes, while Sandra & the boys were still getting started rambling about the Spanish show Sandra choreographed with David Wilson.

I enjoyed Fran fan's take on Javi and the men's competition. She points out that the UR called on Javi's quad sal in the sp was perhaps borderline but the judges decided to call it anyway, which made Javi have to fight a little harder for the win. My takes on the men: Too bad about Kovtun being nervous and unable to repeat his Russian Natls comeback performances at Euros. Kolyada was brilliant in the sp and as usual faltered and could not hold things together for a win or at least a chance at the podium. Samarin is a fighter but he's definitely not the most well-rounded skater. Good for Matteo Rizzo getting a quad. He's a nice skater, with some Italian politiking in his favor too.

Fran fan's take on what Deniss Vasiljevs needs to do to improve is interesting and not something I would have thought of...

I'm still listening to Fran fan's summary, but from what I viewed of the Euros competition, ladies were meh, while pairs and ice dance, as usual, rocked. The latter two are the best disciplines to watch these days.

So in a nutshell of about 25+ minutes Fran fan does in an on-point way what TSL can't do in an hour and 45 minutes.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
It's kind of sad that there are no recap videos of US Nationals out there whatsoever, although I imagine tsl is cooking something up as we speak...

FITTB15

I found it amusing that TSL had Sandra as a guest in their first episode post-scandal. Dave doesn’t have to worry about being attacked for saying the wrong thing because Sandra never stops to let anyone else speak.
I understand that Sandra is respected in the sport but I find it unbearable listening to her try to form and articulate a thought, which usually fails. I wish they would re-do the Olympic ice dance episode w/out Sandra, it was a good event and the recap was an hour of Sandra saying “I...I...I... I don’t know, fire and air.” 🙄

skatingguy

decently
The video was taken at the Broadmoor World Arena Ice Hall, on the NHL rink, in Colorado Springs....the OLY training center sign is easily visible in the video. Hasn't Rika trained there in the past on occasion? ..
Yes, on 2nd (or was it the 99th viewing) I noticed the USOC logo. :p

D

Deleted member 53443

Jonathan is, while abviously being a very nice guy, simply not knowledgeable enough to me. I tend to cringe when he speaks, while I am pretty interested in Dave's thoughts because like him or not, he knows his stuff.

This episode was pure PR for Sandra's favs. In a way, it was exactly what TSL is not supposed to be.

muffinplus

Lol, a loose translation of Bezic's comments on TSL about Tutberidze skaters went viral in Russian media with of course a very predictable reaction..

Last edited:

Willin

Jonathan is, while abviously being a very nice guy, simply not knowledgeable enough to me. I tend to cringe when he speaks, while I am pretty interested in Dave's thoughts because like him or not, he knows his stuff.

This episode was pure PR for Sandra's favs. In a way, it was exactly what TSL is not supposed to be.
I think the worst part about Jonathan not being knowledgeable is that he knows he isn't knowledgeable. So sometimes he forms his own opinion or has his own take and then Dave corrects him or says something that contradicts him and then Jonathan takes back whatever he said that was "wrong," making the show seem like Dave + Dave Jr. instead of Dave and another person.

shine

I haven't watched this episode but for years I've never really understood the hate on Sandra. I've watched her commentary with Scott and didn't really find her particularly off putting (perhaps because compared to Scott she comes across very sane). Can someone explain? Curious mind wants to know.

all_empty

I don't mind Sandra.

She's biased towards Canadians but most commentators are. She has this deliberate way of speaking that makes her sound erudite. Some would say snooty.

Many laypeople who watch her commentary think that she's racist against Surya Bonaly.

I like that Jonathan doesn't try to get up all the skaters' asses like Dave. He's less gossipy (and to be fair, I think Dave has tried to be as well, even before the whole SafeSport situation).

Jonathan obviously knows about performance and music and I like his opinions. But if I hear "deportment" one more time lol.

Don't care for Justin Laem. He mispronounces names all the time and the make-up is a bit distracting.

Willin

I watched for Scott Dyer's perspective. I wish there was more of him. I felt Jonathan and Dave were talking too much to get much insight from Scott. He tried to speak up a lot only to be interrupted, which was a shame given the good insight he gave into certain skaters or technique issues. Even though he didn't necessarily place well, I think Scott could be a great coach with his knowledge of technique and training methods. It was also interesting to hear about Frank Carrol from him.

skatfan

I thought having Scott as part of the show kept things more on track. Loved his explanations about crossovers and how Frank taught jump positions, and how he worked with Lori Nichol.

bardtoob

It always amuses me how many people who don’t actually watch the show come here just to trash Dave.

Why? I bet if we statistically tested the proportion of "trash David" against the proportion of "trash some other topic", the results would be statistically insignificant. I mean, half of figure skating, in general, is scoring how someone looks against a white background ... no to mention everything surrounding it.

... On the reverse side, I invite my good friend @StasiyaGalustyanLove to say anything he likes about David :EVILLE:

Tavi

Why? I bet if we statistically tested the proportion of "trash David" against the proportion of "trash some other topic", the results would be statistically insignificant. I mean, half of figure skating, in general, is scoring how someone looks against a white background ... no to mention everything surrounding it.

... On the reverse side, I invite my good friend @StasiyaGalustyanLove to say anything he likes about David :EVILLE:

Partly bc he’s barely snarked at all in the last two shows.

D

Deleted member 53443

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that part of Axel practice has always been done with landing and backspinning (for air position)? All the coaches, name or no-names, do it wherever I go.

I laughed when Jonathan was talking about how Liu is "doing the right thing" which was not trying quads LOL. Hey Jon, trying to get new jumps and more points is not always a sign of being less artistic...

Scott Dyer was great (apart from saying "like" soooo too many times for an adult person) It's interesting how much better and more serious the show becomes when they have an invite who raises the level of knowledge. It makes it harder to get away with some BS that always crept in when there was only Jonathan and Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information