The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

Roux

rabidline posted a great interview with Shoma on the other forum. It sounds like he is learning a lot about himself as a person, which I love. I wonder if he would work with a (sports) psychologist besides relying on a coaching relationship... I think I heard of Yuzuru having one, at least at one point, but I don't know what the Japanese culture around mental health looks like generally

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
TSL's feature on Shoma's possible gaming alter ego is par for the course in snide, gossipy scoops. Real breaking news, which perhaps some fans like to know about. :drama:

Hopefully, Shoma will end up remaining under Lambiel's tutelage. It seems to me to be a good fit. Shoma looked in practices as if he was coming out of his funk, but no, he's still got some work to do. And the judges are still perfectly willing to help him out with those huge GOE for average jumps that really aren't as good as they can be from Shoma Uno. The thing is: Shoma looks so smooth and gorgeous as a skater. But frankly, he's also fairly detached emotionally from his skating. He just seems to be going through the motions and not really into his skating. Shoma should not be higher than Deniss Vasiljevs on CO and IN simply because the judges swoon over Shoma's smooth, mesmerizing movement quality:

Shoma still has technical issues with some of his jumps, and there's something going on in his head that has yet to be figured out. I hope someone can reach him. Maybe he needs to simply take a break from the sport. He's young and impressionable, and he doesn't seem to be fully okay emotionally and developmentally as a person, purely based on how disjointed his skating has been, and the fact his coaches dropped him. I'm not going to speculate about what TSL is going on about. It's troubling if true, but none of our business. I'm commenting based on what I've been seeing from Shoma on the ice.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
TSL's feature on Shoma's possible gaming alter ego is par for the course in snide, gossipy scoops. Real breaking news, which perhaps some fans like to know about. :drama:

Hopefully, Shoma will end up remaining under Lambiel's tutelage. It seems to me to be a good fit. Shoma looked in practices as if he was coming out of his funk, but no, he's still got some work to do. And the judges are still perfectly willing to help him out with those huge GOE for average jumps that really aren't as good as they can be from Shoma Uno. The thing is: Shoma looks so smooth and gorgeous as a skater. But frankly, he's also fairly detached emotionally from his skating. He just seems to be going through the motions and not really into his skating. Shoma should not be higher than Deniss Vasiljevs on CO and IN simply because the judges swoon over Shoma's smooth, mesmerizing movement quality:

Shoma still has technical issues with some of his jumps, and there's something going on in his head that has yet to be figured out. I hope someone can reach him. Maybe he needs to simply take a break from the sport. He's young and impressionable, and he doesn't seem to be fully okay emotionally and developmentally as a person, purely based on how disjointed his skating has been, and the fact his coaches dropped him. I'm not going to speculate about what TSL is going on about. It's troubling if true, but none of our business. I'm commenting based on what I've been seeing from Shoma on the ice.
I just :rolleyes: at fan battle & TSL. Period.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Nice reports about someone in the real scene. ;)
:)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
It was nice to see him actually recovering from the disaster at IdF.
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh4ARKbmdEw
fancam of K'nC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOyKHJVkQGo

I actually didn't expect his 3A to recover by working with Lambiel. :D The point I wish to be solved by next competition is his spins to be fixed with Lambiel. Shoma has been losing levels in spins this season although spins were one of his strong points until last season when he was working with his former coaches. I wish Lambiel will check his every spin after this competition. 🙏

Go Shoma! Show must go on! :cheer2:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Shoma really has to be motivated and know that he's doing what he wants to be doing, and understand why and what his goals are. He needs to rediscover his joy and passion. It doesn't seem to be there. It's possible to lose yourself when you are young and have gained a lot of success and adulation very quickly. If his passion for the sport isn't motivating him anymore, he can't express it in his skating. Hopefully, it's just a matter of emotional growing pains that can be worked out.

It's cool Shoma has a prior skating show relationship with Lambiel, in addition to working with him previously on programs. Lambiel appears to be a steady, calm influence and someone who can offer the necessary training guidance. For coaching, the language barrier is not a problem, but perhaps Shoma also needs to get some personal counseling from a psychologist whom he can speak with in his native language.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Attempting 4S which is the least consistent quad for him as a opening jump was sorta #trainwreck vibe. :scream: But he fought through the program. His smile beaming toward Lambiel/Kobayashi (from the fed) at the boards was so :lol: after splatting on the impromptu 4T added instead of the skipped 4T-3T combo originally planned in the first half. If he did a clean 3T instead of that 4T(fall), he could have won a bronze here. But I took that attempt as a good sign from him of being aggressive again. 😜 I thought Ignatov's PCS was too high to win a medal over Shoma by 0.63 margin (his PCS jumped up from 67 at Nebelhorn to 80 here). :shuffle: But I don't care much about a medal here.

All in all, I wish he'll stay with Lambiel at least until the end of this season. I wish Shoma can be focused on his techniques to be prepared by Nationals. Levels for spins were better here than in SP, he still lost a level for stsq. Those elements are important when a skater can't stay consistent on their jumps. I wish he'll take a second thought on his jump contents, especially 4S should be removed, I think. I also Lambiel will help him to take back the consistency on his 4T by nationals.

I'm relieved. Have a good sleep, Shoma! :cheer2:

kittyjake5

That certainly was a mishmash of his jump layout. Remember Sho sort of warned in interviews about this season for him was not going to be about results but a transition period but sheesh what a roller coaster ride it has been for us fans. Much better competition for him than France even though I think he was robbed of the Bronze here but I won’t dwell on that as it really does not matter in the long run. Hang in there Sho you are still Numero Uno in my eyes and I believe by Nationals we will see a very improved Shoma! 😊

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
That certainly was a mishmash of his jump layout. Remember Sho sort of warned in interviews about this season for him was not going to be about results but a transition period but sheesh what a roller coaster ride it has been for us fans. Much better competition for him than France even though I think he was robbed of the Bronze here but I won’t dwell on that as it really does not matter in the long run. Hang in there Sho you are still Numero Uno in my eyes and I believe by Nationals we will see a very improved Shoma! 😊
On the same roller coaster! :40beers: :D

kittyjake5

Nam Nguyen and Shoma doing some kind of hand signal during gala rehearsal from the Olympic Channel’s instagram story
https://twitter.com/fsigstories/stat...707283456?s=21

Nam helping Team Japan with Gala instructions

Team Japan preparing for the gala, from Absolute Skating’s Twitter
https://twitter.com/absoluteskating/...720703488?s=21

Absolute Skating, Shoma in his exhibition outfit
https://twitter.com/absoluteskating/...980328448?s=21

Yuhana, Shoma and Satoko looking fabulous at the Banquet
https://twitter.com/fsigstories/stat...068204032?s=21

J. Martinson's Shoma photos from the gala!
https://twitter.com/wmujod5vzuk2nas/...495519232?s=21

After three weeks in Europe, (France, Switzerland and Russia) a tired Shoma is heading home to Japan.

Last edited:

kittyjake5

Lots of negative sh** on social media about Shoma lately which I choose to ignore and I don't want to see it in here.

To answer your question muffinplus yes it is very inappropriate. I am sure your intent was not negative but I would appreciate it if you would delete it.

Polaris

Why is the recent discussion inappropriate? I was surprised to see no mention of it on FSU. Reads to me like people trying to sweep things under the rug because they don't want to confront allegations about their favored skater.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Why is the recent discussion inappropriate? I was surprised to see no mention of it on FSU. Reads to me like people trying to sweep things under the rug because they don't want to confront allegations about their favored skater.
OK you have an appropriate thread to talk about it here. :)

MsZem

I see the sea
Assuming what has been discussed elsewhere is true, Shoma has certainly committed no crime, but his behavior does not reflect well on him.

I agree that it's an appropriate subject for discussion; I don't think the place for this discussion is this fan-centric thread or the TSL thread, so I would suggest that any poster who wants to continue with this topic start a separate thread.

I'm sure it well go well :rolleyes:

Sylvia

TBD
More clips from the TV feature (this one shows him practicing in Switzerland & includes a quote from Lambiel):

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information