The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

kittyjake5

Congrats to Shoma! Love his SP as for his FS trouble with his jumps but did enough for the win. Not crazy about his FS yet but it is a work in progress and I am sure it will improve.

tamms

Congrats, Shoma!

That free skate was probably not the one he wanted to start the season with, but I’ll be frank and say I’m glad he didn’t peak here. There’s room for improvement and I know he’ll work on the program as the season progresses.

tamms

Shoma on a cover of a fashion magazine for women.
https://mainichikirei.jp/article/20180925dog00m100016000c.html
one more photo
https://mainichikirei.jp/photo/20180925dog00m100016000c.html?page=002

Shoma just looks like J-pop idols whose management office is Johnny's Entertainment. :D

My twitter and instagram exploded yesterday because of this release. He does look like a Johnny's idol. :ROFLMAO: It's actually quite nice to see him dressed up from time to time but I am ready to see his bed head again.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wait an f'ing minute! I don't care how good Shoma is. Stop with the gift-giving judges! No way. Second place after he cleans up the ice??? They gonna give him 43.24 on PCS too? Shoma didn't have nuthin' on Keegan Messing, and for that matter all the guys were bringing it, bringing it at SC.

They took no GOEs off for Shoma on those two blatant errors. Shoma is overscored and it's time to stop. He shouldn't be higher than 83, and go behind guys who landed quads and skated clean with good presentation skills. Yes, Shoma is a smooth, mesmerizing skater. But stop being hypnotized judges. When he makes mistakes, make Shoma pay like everyone else. So many other guys landed their jumps clean (many with quads) and skated beautifully. Under the new system, how can they justify this score? Shoma is not the best artist out there either, contrary to what the judges think. If everybody else has to go clean to get peanuts, Shoma better NOT make any mistakes. Look at how they took down other guys with errors, and I'm not talking about Jason either. I'm talking about guys they kept down on PCS, and Nguyen and Sadovsky who lost a huge amount under the new system. Nguyen didn't make any mistakes, unless they took off for imagined URs or something. Sadovsky had errors and of course got dumped on as a newbie. Aymoz skated brilliantly in terms of artistry but apparently had a UR call on his quad, but no blatant mistakes. It was a gorgeous program by Aymoz, but he obviously has no rep with the judges. Shoma don't have a thing on Aymoz artistically, except for soft knees and gorgeous edges. The judges must think smooth skatng equals some kind of genius artist. Shoma IS NOT a good interpretive artist. He's one note, no nuances.

This sport is a mess. I bet if Nathan had done something like that he would have been put behind a bunch of guys who skated clean. But nope, Shoma gets the gifts. He shouldn't have won silver at the Olympics either. Held to a different standard, and it stinks.

Plus Samarin is overscored on PCS, but that's a given too. Pissant way this sport is run. The other guys who skated so well and put their hearts and souls into their skating and are placed behind Shoma who messes up like that and gets gift points, must be wondering what they have to do. Shoma gets handicapped 8 to 10 points I guess, as soon as his name is called. :blah:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Shoma doesn't need anyone to root for him, with the judges solidly in his corner. Unsurprising how I had to search for this thread. No one apparently was looking to celebrate his sp score. He and his coach know he didn't deserve it too. Not the way most guys were bringing it in that SC field.

Shoma is a wonderful skater, and I enjoy watching him when he's on. But the uber love from the judges is biased and unfair, when Shoma doesn't perform well and is held up.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Now Shoma is such a big star who can make someone go mad even when he skated with a broken boot and lost to someone he's never lost to. :rofl:

Mihoko's Nagoya-style fashion in the K'nC brightened up my day after watching Shoma's big fall (and it was around 5 am in my time zone). Major respect. :respec::lol:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Excuses, excuses. Nathan skated with broken-down taped-up boots at Worlds last year, and he wasn't held up when he made mistakes. It's so not surprising to see Shoma ubers thinking Shoma is never supposed to lose to anyone he's never lost to before. FYI: Shoma belongs behind Jun Hwa, Majorov, and Samohin too. Even Tomono (Shoma's countryman) skated better but doesn't get gift points like Shoma does.

Well I reported your post to be removed @aftershocks it does not belong in this thread.

If they are going to start removing posts that fans of skaters don't like, they've got a lot of enforcing to do in many fan threads. There's no excuse for that high score for Shoma, especially under the new scoring system. If his fans think he deserved that score over guys who skated clean, where are your cheers?

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
If they are going to start removing posts that fans of skaters don't like, they've got a lot of enforcing to do in many fan threads. There's no excuse for that high score for Shoma, especially under the new scoring system. If his fans think he deserved that score over guys who skated clean, where are your cheers?

I don't care what you think of Uno or where you post your opinions (although it is really tacky to enter a cheer thread so you can complain), but competition discussion belongs in the competition forums. This is the second time I have had to say this to you in the past couple of weeks.

Sylvia

TBD
Fan/cheer threads here, as I understand it, are where fans of skaters enjoy celebrating the wonderful performances of their favorite skaters and also where they commiserate together after subpar skates.

After tonight's SP, Shoma's quote was translated into English as follows:
"I was landing triple axels in practice, but I was careless here," Uno said. "Frustration and a feeling of regret led to a tough performance."

From an Oct. 7th article (Team Japan press conference before the start of the GP series):
... his goal for the 2018-2019 figure skating season is about trust.
"I want to make this season all about believing in myself," Uno told a press conference in Tokyo ahead of the ISU Grand Prix Figure Skating season that opens later this month.
"I want to deliver what I have been doing during training and accept both my failure and success, and be able to make use of each experience and build on that as I move toward the next competition," he said.

kittyjake5

You think that is a high score for Sho please if you paid attention you would know that he scores in the 104 range when he is clean. Good luck Shoma in the FS tomorrow!

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't care what you think of Uno or where you post your opinions (although it is really tacky to enter a cheer thread so you can complain), but competition discussion belongs in the competition forums. This is the second time I have had to say this to you in the past couple of weeks.

So I'll stop discussing details of the event. But clearly in fan threads, there's lots of discussion of skaters' recent performances. If that's going to be a no-no, I'm certainly not the only person discussing recent performances and how judges view skaters.

aftershocks

Banned Member
You think that is a high score for Sho please if you paid attention you would know that he scores in the 104 range when he is clean. Good luck Shoma in the FS tomorrow!

That's not a good justification. But sure I expected that rationalization. It merely confirms that Shoma is handicapped 8 to 10 points when his name is called. :)

Shoma is a very sweet guy and a very talented skater. But he's not an artistic God, like the judges rate him. I too would love to see Shoma skate beautifully and cleanly, so he can at least earn his reserved and expected win. Obviously, Shoma has rep, and he's mesmerizingly smooth. But he doesn't have great depth and range artistically. He makes up for that with incredibly soft knees and smooth skating. I understand the love. He's very cute and a hard worker, and very sportsmanlike. It's just tough seeing the unfairness in the scoring to the point where everyone justifies it. Obviously, it's a given the sport is not fair and never will be. Everyone suffers from jitters and self-doubt, and it's too bad if he has boot problems. But skaters generally try not to lean on excuses. It is what it is.

I have been a fan of Shoma's. His first season I thought he was underscored. But the next year, the judges began giving him the marks to an over-extent, which has steadily increased (sometimes unwarranted IMO). But yeah I'm not a fs judge, thankfully.

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Reactions: fai

kittyjake5

I am not going to argue with you about Sho but you do post a lot of trash on this board and now you are bringing it into Sho’s cheer thread and it is not welcomed.

Reactions: fai

aftershocks

Banned Member
Fine @Prancer. You are picking on me, because Shoma's fans are upset and feel I'm being too harsh. I understand that. I'm not trying to justify anything. You can go in a bunch of other threads in Trash Can and find plenty of discussions of skaters' recent performances, with some people being critical too. Those posts may not have been reported, but they are there. Because my post is reported, go after me then.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I am not going to argue with you about Sho but you do post a lot of trash on this board and now you are bringing it into Sho’s cheer thread and it is not welcomed.

Because you don't like what I say and disagree with me, go ahead and call it trash if it makes you feel better. Yep, and Trash Can is where we are too. Funny that.

kittyjake5

Now Shoma is such a big star who can make someone go mad even when he skated with a broken boot and lost to someone he's never lost to. :rofl:

Mihoko's Nagoya-style fashion in the K'nC brightened up my day after watching Shoma's big fall (and it was around 5 am in my time zone). Major respect. :respec::lol:

I agree with you Mihoko's has great style and her nails always look lovely too. Last season she wore this light pink fluffy faux fur jacket a couple of times
in the K&C and before you knew it she was was nicknamed "Coach Fluffy".

During the practices Shoma was fiddling with his boot quite a bit I did not realize that it was broken.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I agree with you Mihoko's has great style and her nails always look lovely too. Last season she wore this light pink fluffy faux fur jacket a couple of times
in the K&C and before you knew it she was was nicknamed "Coach Fluffy".

During the practices Shoma was fiddling with his boot quite a bit I did not realize that it was broken.
On the first day of official practices I saw his two practices on livestreaming and he was popping/falling on his jumps. The second practice on the day was better than the first one but it looked his boot(or blade) was annoying him, and at the end of his runthrough he went to Mihoko by the board and she passed a black duct tape to him to wrap on his boot. So fans including me are assuming he was having something wrong with his right boot. But I can't find any article so far about what was actually wrong with the boot. Wish things went in his favor and he'll come back stronger in FS.

Last edited:

Allskate

I'm really liking this long program for Shoma. It shows off his skating skills and his lyrical side If this is how he's skating the program early in the season and with boot problems, I can't imagine how beautiful it will be later in the season when he's had more time with it, his boots are taken care of, and he has more conditioning and time to work on pacing under the new rules.

DreamSkates

I forgot who it was but an American comedian was excited about details of Shoma's costumes during Olys. She appeared with Mirai on a TV program as well as on her twitter posts. I forgot her name but she must be excited again if she watches these photos. :D

front
back
twitter post

ETA:
His costume designer's IG posts
https://www.instagram.com/stm_ito/

These costumes are so gorgeous when you watch it closely.
Turandot ver2
Turandot
Winter
Winter show ver

Thanks for sharing the links to his costume closeups. Just stunning. I do like that more toned-down FP costume this year - but there may be more to it if seen close up.

tamms

Congrats to Shoma for the first GP win of the season! :cheer2:

Poor guy did look like he was running out of steam at the end of his FS but I know it's been tough on him and others to adjust to the changes. Hope he continues to work on building up his stamina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information