The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

ioana

Nathan Chen, maybe, assuming he's healthy.

You'd think I would have managed to remember him from the past EWC's, but no. He also has good enough PCS potential to do it, I agree. Jin is a throwback to early days Chinese skaters scratchy-ness and I don't mean that as a compliment (just in case there was any doubt). Hopefully Chen stays injury-free, if not for this season's JW then in the future. Both him and Shoma have potential to turn into great skaters & performers.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think Shoma is a little farther progressed on consistency with his 3A (at least he has been the last 2 comps :lol: ), but Chen has had several injuries. That's why he only did one JGP event this season. We'll see how he is during US Nationals in a month and then there will be a better comparison for discussion for junior worlds. I think both of them could easily win against most seniors if they stay healthy and could be contenders in Korea. But, three years is a long time in skating.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Shoma Uno is too good to be true. Such style and precision at such a young age. He raps off 3-axel and quad toe like nothing, and with a panache and artistic focus beyond his years. The maturity of his skating to me rivals Hanyu (who is improving artistically, yet I don't get fully pulled into Hanyu's skating for his artistry -- I just admire his tech brilliance, flow and his fast rotations when he's on).

And surely Shoma is only going to get better with more maturity. Amazing. I always like to see inspired, clean, authentic performances that combine athleticism with artistry in a way that interprets the music and makes a program whole and special, not just a bunch of tech elements thrown together for point-gathering. Takahiko's fp is another example of complete skating but on an even greater level due to his maturity, bravura determination and comeback implications.

Definitely Nathan Chen is another athletic/ artistic up-and-coming young skater who when healthy and solid in landing quads, can rival Uno.

Last edited:

tamms

I was just looking at the PCS scores in Nagoya TV Cup and Shoma led Jin by 6.4 points in the free. His PCS keeps getting higher and higher at each event, only by one point, but I think he'll be able to keep it up.

On the other hand, I do agree Nathan can rival Shoma in artistry. If he and Shoma meet at Junior Worlds, it should make for an interesting competition.

rayhaneh

While US and Canadian skaters battle it out in their respective Nats (best of luck to all involved!!!!!), Shoma Uno will be participating to the Japan National High School Skating Championship this week

The Men's SP is scheduled to start Friday at 15.45 JST, FP will be on Saturday from 16.30 JST

Link to the official site of the competition here (in Japanese)

Also some high quality pictures from Japan Nats were posted here yesterday

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
He skated last season's program(including 4T, spread eagle into 3A(2ft)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f0640_2015名古屋-2_sport
0:20
Shoma: I was actually feeling that I progressed more than I expected and even the most ever during last season.
1:23
(about hitting the first 4T in a competition at 2014 Asian Trophy)
Shoma: Hitting one 4T doesn't mean so much. I wish I'll nail more and more 4Ts and I'll feel it's natural to do 4T in every competition. I'll work hard from now on.
1:50
Shoma: At first I didn't expect I can nail 3A in this season. Then my 4T went well and I gradually became consistent with 3A as well. I became pressure free with 3A, since 4T was in my arsenal. I think the mental condition made me more consistent with 3A.
2:28
Shoma: I want to go on to senior field (in the next season). I'll do my best so that I can finish this season with satisfactory skates. Hopefully I'll feel my last season in the junior field was a good one.

The male announcer says that the biggest motivation for Shoma in this season was the warming-up in the last season's Japan Nats. He skated in the last group. And during the last group's warming-up everyone except him did big tricks such as quads and 3A. However he did not have either of them. So he was very much ashamed of himself for not having the big tricks. And he worked so hard on 3A and 4T during the off-season so that he can do at least one of them in this season.

During his skating Machiko Yamada said at first she wondered if this season would be the terrible one for Shoma since junior skaters had to do Lz in this season and Lz was his weak jump. (But it turned out that it was not.) She says it's the time for Shoma to improve the most (in his career).

Akiko Suzuki is commentating too. She sees Shoma improved in artistry too and he skated much more expressive than last season. (Shoma skated his last season's SP in this show.)

I know he worked with Anthony Liu and Ilia Kulik during this past off-season. Yamada's team invited Liu as a temporary technical coach and Kulik worked as a temporary coach at Team Japan summer camp. (I'm not sure about this part but I heard Shoma worked on 3A and edges on Lz with Liu. His edges on Lz improved but he was still struggling with 3A.) I read an article that Mura advised him to work on 4T during summer camp. And during the summer camp Shoma improved a lot on 4T working with Kulik. And then 4T gave him a confidence and it made him pressure free with 3A, and then he gradually became consistent with 3A too.

rayhaneh

Akiko Suzuki is commentating too. She sees Shoma improved in artistry too and he skated much more expressive than last season. (Shoma skated his last season's SP in this show.)

I know he worked with Anthony Liu and Ilia Kulik during this past off-season. Yamada's team invited Liu as a temporary technical coach and Kulik worked as a temporary coach at Team Japan summer camp. (I'm not sure about this part but I heard Shoma worked on 3A and edges on Lz with Liu. His edges on Lz improved but he was still struggling with 3A.) I read an article that Mura advised him to work on 4T during summer camp. And during the summer camp Shoma improved a lot on 4T working with Kulik. And then 4T gave him a confidence and it made him pressure free with 3A, and then he gradually became consistent with 3A too.

As far as I can remember you got the chronology pretty spot on ;)

It's interesting how getting a hang of the 4T allowed him to relax and then find his 3A as well. I remember that interview last season after summer training camp (in 2013) where he himself admitted that the 3A had become the main thing on his mind skating-wise, to the point that he would be training up to 100 a day and only landing a handful, without even getting the rotation right on most of those, while the rest were falls for the most part. And that, although falling hurt, he wanted to keep jumping until he at least got a good one since he "hadn't gotten seriously injured yet from all those falls" :wall: And that he would cry out of frustration a couple of times a week in the locker room for not managing to do it properly

That was quite a worrying time and I'm happy it seems he's past that now (hopefully he won't repeat the same pattern with the 4S btw! )

Concerning Akiko's remark on his artistry and the quality of his skating, it's funny because I actually hadn't noticed such a major progression until a few days ago when I watched back to back his 2013 Junior Worlds, 2013 Japan Nats and 2014 Japan Nats performances: this is when it really hit me. I mean he's always been outstanding for his age (and to those who are not too familiar with his skating yet, I strongly advise that you look for his Japan Nats 2011 free performance on Ravel's Tzigane which I still think of as one of the most mindblowing thing I've ever seen skated by a - barely! - junior) in terms of intention, body movement and musicality, but there's really a sense of much improved clarity and mastery over movement now which this year's SP cleverly makes the most of (the choreo of his free being relatively mundane which, given all the work done on his jumps during the summer, isn't exactly surprising)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
He's going to be amazing, really really good. His energy and speed are mind-boggling. Solid technique and skating quality everywhere, he's going to be the 'cats ass'.

I always get so mad when playing UNO and you have two cards left, and then suddenly everyone with seven cards catches up and wins. Never assume when playing UNO :COP: things can get really ugly and deceitful, leaving you with nothing but remorse and shame (and your two cards).

Last edited:

rayhaneh

Shoma has just skated his SP at the Japan National High School Skating Championship.

Based on Twitter reports he had a pretty spectacular fall on the 3A to the point that some of those reports are wondering whether he didn't injure himself :wuzrobbed He did skate the rest of his program (using the junior layout so 3Lz - possibly with edge warning - and 3F3T, all spins and steps at Lv4) well though and he ended up with 73.67

To be fair his 3A has been shaky in competition A LOT but he was very solid on most of his attempts both at practice session and during the warm-up....main thing is though, hopefully that fall looked worse than it really was and he'll be fine. Given the exponential media coverage he's been subject to since JGPF/ Japan Nats, no doubt there will be reports/ images later today

He's going to be amazing, really really good. His energy and speed are mind-boggling. Solid technique and skating quality everywhere, he's going to be the 'cats ass'.

I always get so mad when playing UNO and you have two cards left, and then suddenly everyone with seven cards catches up and wins. Never assume when playing UNO :COP: things can get really ugly and deceitful, leaving you with nothing but remorse and shame (and your two cards).

OMG I haven't played Uno FOR LIKE FOREVER! But I've played a lot as a kid and I know exactly that feeling Karpenko :D Now I actually want to get a pack of cards and play

rayhaneh

Shoma Uno just won the free skate and the title at the Japan National High School Skating Championship :cheer2:

He skated his Don Juan free routine (apparently with a change of costume - sadly no pictures have emerged yet): 4T, 3Astepout, 3A2T, 2A1L3F, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3S, 3F3T for a score of 165.40, 89.40 TES, 76 PCS (7.65, 7.40, 7.70, 7.60, 7.65), total for the competition is 239.07, second Hidetsugu Kamata (total score 180.05) and third Daichi Miyata (if I translated his name correctly! total score 171.46). Actually everyone else got a lower total score than Shoma's free!!!!

Complete results of the free competition here (in Japanese)

Apparently TBS will feature Shoma several times in their sports/ morning programs between this evening and Monday morning so there should be videos available pretty soon

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be rock solid everytime on the 3A at this point. But, the fact he is doing it and succeeds most of the time is encouraging. I think he will reach his peak in 5 years or so when he's fully grown. In the meantime, I hope the Japanese press gives him some space to grow and continue to develop his skills. He's got the innate qualities that make a superb skater. Now, he just needs time to hone his physical skills to perfection.

rayhaneh

As expected there were reports both on the short and free program (and exhibition!)

Report on the SP here (and although he doesn't seem to have injured himself twitter reports were right when they said the 3A fall was pretty spectacular.....)

Much longer video from today's TBS sport show showing pictures from both the free and the gala which took place this afternoon here

Also people who were at the training practice for the gala this morning tweeted that Shoma landed a 3A3A combination - clean I believe.....

I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be rock solid everytime on the 3A at this point. But, the fact he is doing it and succeeds most of the time is encouraging. I think he will reach his peak in 5 years or so when he's fully grown. In the meantime, I hope the Japanese press gives him some space to grow and continue to develop his skills. He's got the innate qualities that make a superb skater. Now, he just needs time to hone his physical skills to perfection.

Completely agreed about the 3A - it's good that he actually lands most of them considering that he had no 3A to speak of last season (he never landed one clean despite trying at all competitions in the free) and also had to correct his edge on the lutz and get a 4T. He can further fine-tune it in the next season or two anyway and I'm pretty sure this will be something he and his team will work on

rayhaneh

Well..... what a a performance it was! Japan media did their utmost best to put pressure on Shoma Uno this week but he somehow managed to keep it together today. So happy:cheer2:

Best video of his SP at 4CC so far is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDDFyHfOy7I

Also his and Higuchi-sensei's reaction at the score was the best of the entire evening :saint:

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Congrats to Junior Worlds title and the SP world record! :cheer:

I post some random updates:

A Japanese broadsheet reported Shoma had stress fracture in his right ankle in the middle of February. He took four days off and restarted training.

According to an interview at 4CC by freelance sports journalist Wei on twitter Shoma at first worked on 4F, when he got able to do 4T he became unable to do solo 3T, and when he got 3A his 2A became inconsistent, then he stopped working on 4F and started working on 4S instead.

Message from Shoma posted on his fan's facebook:
To all the supporting fans

Through this competition , I was able to finish the graduation ceremony of the junior category.
After skating for many years as a junior, I will be a senior skater from next season.

During two weeks since the four continents competition, I was struggled with my severe condition.
However, thanks to everyone who supported and assisted me, I could barely maintain my body.

Then I also learned that reckless "hard-working" is not the only way to be a good skater.

Your support alway

Reportedly he injured in his instep just after Japanese Nationals held in December. And again he injured in his foot in the middle of February (around 4CC?). It is known to his Japanese fans that he's a stoic guy and a true hard worker, but, as he said by himself it must be better for him to rethink his training pace. Overwork can affect his career. I wish he'll take enough rest in this spring. But he's already scheduled to some ice shows...

March 22, HIgashi Nihon Kassokai(East Japan Skating Show)

April 29, May 5-6, Prince Ice World

June 13-14(?), Dreams on Ice

Hopefully he'll not be worn out with numerous ice shows during this coming off season. :scream:

Last edited:

floskate

Vacant
This doesn't surprise me. He got two big time jumps within a month or so of each other and I would imagine that, once you start landing them, you want to keep doing them over and over out of fear of losing them. But as well as the shows already lined up, will he not be called on to represent Japan at the WTT in April? I can't imagine the JSF not wanting their new breakout star to be there.

rayhaneh

Rosewood, many thanks for all the links provided.

I am so sorry I did not post here over the last two weeks - there will be a lot of things to catch up with LOL - but......I was lucky enough to be in Tallinn to see Shoma win the Junior World title :cheer2:

I'll try to write a little bit more about my impressions from the competition but basically it was a very emotional week (not just because of Shoma btw: the competition level was amazing, we had some truly breathtaking performances in all categories and I was lucky enough to meet some awesome people along the way!). Also I felt very priviledged to see Shoma for most of his practice sessions: I've been a fan of his skating for a few years now but seeing him perform freely among other juniors in front of a few dozen people for 40 minutes is when it hit me how truly special his skating is (and also how much progress he can still make....)

Also watching all the juniors rehearsing for the gala was A LOT of fun :D

I'll start sorting out my pictures this weekend but here's a teaser (click on the picture to see it full size) :)

PS: and I can confirm you have to forcibly seperate Shoma and Sota whenever they're together
PS2: also Shoma, Sota and Deniss were hanging together A LOT

Last edited:

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Shoma is such a rockstar. He looks like a cute little tween, but he skates like a champ! So excited to see him in seniors next season!

rayhaneh

Ok finally got around to post some of my pics from the medal ceremony in Tallinn here

I'll have some from the gala practice as well which I'll try to upload before Shanghai Worlds start

Also, as reported above by @rosewood , a charity gala took place yesterday in Fukuoka with Miki Ando and Shoma Uno headlining it (which also had some of the best skaters from the Kyushu regionals which took place this week, if I understood correctly?)

According to Twitter reports Shoma skated his SP where he jumped 4T and twice the 3A - the first two jumps being landed on two feet and he fell on the last and apparently cut his hand. That didn't stop him from doing the encore on part of the Don Juan music where he tried 3A and 4T AGAIN (3A clean and 4T popped to 2T). Could someone please remind him that trying 5 major jumps in 5 minutes will not help his body recover?:wall:

There was a report on TBS with some images of the gala as well as an interview which I (roughly) translated here

This is a must see/read if only for the way he replies to the question "What sort of person are you?"......

kittyjake5

Ok finally got around to post some of my pics from the medal ceremony in Tallinn here

I'll have some from the gala practice as well which I'll try to upload before Shanghai Worlds start

Also, as reported above by @rosewood , a charity gala took place yesterday in Fukuoka with Miki Ando and Shoma Uno headlining it (which also had some of the best skaters from the Kyushu regionals which took place this week, if I understood correctly?)

According to Twitter reports Shoma skated his SP where he jumped 4T and twice the 3A - the first two jumps being landed on two feet and he fell on the last and apparently cut his hand. That didn't stop him from doing the encore on part of the Don Juan music where he tried 3A and 4T AGAIN (3A clean and 4T popped to 2T). Could someone please remind him that trying 5 major jumps in 5 minutes will not help his body recover?:wall:

There was a report on TBS with some images of the gala as well as an interview which I (roughly) translated here

This is a must see/read if only for the way he replies to the question "What sort of person are you?"......

Shoma is so adorable loved his interview. Thanks for sharing.

Great photos but someone needs to tell the boys to smile.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Article by Tatjana Flade (April 6, 2015): http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/04/shoma-uno/
Excerpt:
The Japanese Junior Champion has already made plans for the off season. After a short break at home, he plans to take care of injuries and then get back to work.

“I think I will change both programs,” he announced. “I don’t have a specific idea yet what we are going to do, but basically I want to change the style from this season and do something different. In general, I prefer calm music.”

The skater plans to wait and see what his coaches Machiko Yamada and Mihoko Higuchi will suggest to him.

“The coaches also told me that we are going to work on skating skills and power skating,” the newly minted World Junior Champion added.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Rising stars of Asia: Uno ready to put on a show
Japanese silver medalist working to add second quad to repertoire
Posted 5/27/15 by Wei Xiong, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/05/27/126706104
Excerpts:
The experience of skating in the last free skate group at Japanese nationals, he believes, will help him deal with the stresses he will soon face.

"That experience taught me how to handle the pressure from the audience, and during the six-minute warmup, better," Uno said. "Thanks to that, I am able to focus on my own skating now, while still being surrounded by the top skaters in the world."
Looking to next season, Uno said he aims to "improve my jumps, as well as learn to keep myself in a good, healthy condition. I still have a lot to do on my jumps, especially on the quads."
Uno's goal is to add a second kind of quad by next season. ...
"Initially, I was practicing quad flip. But I was afraid if I practiced the quad too much, I would not be able to do the triple flip anymore, which happened to me when I learned quad toe -- I forgot how to jump a solo triple toe. So I gave up that idea and decided to practice quad salchow instead."
ETA from the Japanese news thread in GSD:
A message from Shoma was posted on his official fan site. https://www.facebook.com/shomauno/posts/1003705149654697
The message says, he reveals his new SP at Fantasy on Ice which starts from coming weekend, he also skates ex version of his new LP at Dreams on Ice in June. He has still long way to own the musics. In his SP he wishes to show good dancing and jumps. He is filled with awe to use the music for his LP. He loves the music so much.

Can't wait!
May 29 in Makuhari is the first Fantasy on Ice show - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...4-cities-starting-may-29-ending-july-5.95697/

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma revealed his new SP at Fantasy on Ice on Friday. Articles along with his official fan site said his new SP is to Legends by Sacred Spirit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-j5qk3LfMI

According to people's tweets at the show, his new SP is great. People were quite excited with it. Supposedly his jump layout is 4T(he popped into 3T yesterday), 3A, 3F-3T. Aren't both the music choice and the jump layout quite aggressive? Can't wait to watch it! Prior to this show Shoma said it's not easy to do jumps in this program. Maybe he dances a lot to the music and it makes him difficult to go into jumps on a good timing. But he has lots of time before the serious season starts. Wish he'll put things together. On Saturday(today in Japan) the show is going to be aired. Can't wait to watch it!

Photos from yesterday's show:
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/photo/figureskate/all/dtl/1347/16/
http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/photo/figureskate/all/dtl/1347/15/
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1484505.html

rayhaneh

I've watched Fanatasy on Ice on BS Asahi and recorded it - including Shoma Uno's new SP

Clearly the program is still in progress especially between the 3A and (planned) combo and it is obvious he hasn't fully integrated the program yet. But it's only May and he's had an incredibly long and demanding season

And damn if what's there isn't incredibly exciting :cheer2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDWdxmrbT2g

(sorry the quality isn't HD though....)

The first minute is already very good, with the transitional movement between the 4T and spin being exquisite, as is the first part of the steps sequence. It's also a very interesting program knowing that he and his team have planned to focus on skating skills and power skating in the off-season

I am incredibly thankful to him and his coaches for this choice: going into a first senior season is never easy and they could have been forgiven for going down more familiar paths in order to make that transition somewhat easier. Instead they go for something he's never done before and which they can have no idea how the public, let alone judges, will receive since it's not as if that kind of program is familiar to us either (the judges part also depends on how much JSF wishes to push him I guess.....)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I've watched Fanatasy on Ice on BS Asahi and recorded it - including Shoma Uno's new SP

Clearly the program is still in progress especially between the 3A and (planned) combo and it is obvious he hasn't fully integrated the program yet. But it's only May and he's had an incredibly long and demanding season

And damn if what's there isn't incredibly exciting :cheer2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDWdxmrbT2g

(sorry the quality isn't HD though....)

The first minute is already very good, with the transitional movement between the 4T and spin being exquisite, as is the first part of the steps sequence. It's also a very interesting program knowing that he and his team have planned to focus on skating skills and power skating in the off-season

I am incredibly thankful to him and his coaches for this choice: going into a first senior season is never easy and they could have been forgiven for going down more familiar paths in order to make that transition somewhat easier. Instead they go for something he's never done before and which they can have no idea how the public, let alone judges, will receive since it's not as if that kind of program is familiar to us either (the judges part also depends on how much JSF wishes to push him I guess.....)
Thanks for uploading the video! As you said, it's clear he skipped some of transitions and spin positions. But it's still very early stage of the season. It's great to see he plans to do the 3A in the second half. He said he'll focus on improving artistic side during this off-season to prepare for skating in senior field for full season. This program will improve as time goes. I wish he'll pay attention to using his elbows when he dances. But that's a small thing. Can't believe we're witnessing our lovely Shoma selling the sexy pose. :D (If any, he can wear a tank top to show his underarm during the opening pose, plus add a couple more face stroking and neck stroking during the back cross cuts.) ;) I feel I'm old.

ETA:
OK I rewatched the video. His footworks are more complicated than before. Can't wait to watch this program in a competition. :cheer: GP assignments are to be announced soon. Off season is never boring.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I love that program. It's going to be a winner. What's wrong with his elbows, rosewood?

Personally, I'd just as soon he not show his underarms, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information