The Shoma Uno fan thread - Go for número UNO!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I love that program. It's going to be a winner. What's wrong with his elbows, rosewood?

Personally, I'd just as soon he not show his underarms, LOL.
Elbows thing is just my nitpicking as an uber. :) He sometimes forgets to use his left elbow and keeps his arm straight down. I also thought paying more attention to elbows will give good effects to the choreography especially when he challenges out of his comfort zone like this program.

OK, we don't see his underarms nor deep-v-necked costume this time. :D

rayhaneh

For information Shoma skated (part of) his 2015-16 free program at the first Dream on Ice show today: there are virtually no images so far (almost all pictures from the press are of Yuzuru, who also skated his new free skate there) but we do know the music is Turandot. It included vocals but, according to some of the twitter reports, it was not the usual Nessun Dorma segment

Dream on Ice will air first on Fuji in Kanto in about 10 days and then on BS Fuji in on July 18 iirc (I let @rosewood correct me if I'm wrong!) but even then we will only see part of the program, which has been arranged for the show anyway - that means we will likely only see the actual program sometime in the autumn, assuming he won't skate at Japan Open

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Shoma will make his Senior Grand Prix debut at Skate America in Milwaukee and TEB in Bordeaux, France! :)

rayhaneh

Shoma will make his Senior Grand Prix debut at Skate America in Milwaukee and TEB in Bordeaux, France! :)

Thanks @Sylvia !

Been too busy flailing yesterday to post about this - I booked my flight and hotel last week for TEB :cheer:

Shame it's still in Bordeaux this year though as it's a lot further away than Paris for this particular fan, but FFSG wrote to me that they were "trying hard to get it back to Paris as soon as possible"

They haven't replied yet on when tickets will get on sale though......

On other Shoma news, he was invited on Kenji's Room talkshow, on JSport4, for a two-part interview (for those who may not be familiar, it's a one-on-one interview with Kenji Miyamoto, with each segment lasting 30 minutes)

I uploaded the first part aired last week and it was translated by the people over at the Shoma Uno tumblr here

The second part, which aired for the first time today, has already been uploaded here, translation not yet available

PS: I hope you have a good sound system because at some moments that's probably the quietest I have ever heard Shoma answer in interviews - and that's saying something! :p

tamms

PS: I hope you have a good sound system because at some moments that's probably the quietest I have ever heard Shoma answer in interviews - and that's saying something! :p

Thank you for the links. He is so shy and awkward that it's cute. :p

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Double posting from Japanese news thread in GSD:
Everything indicates he is now on the 'star system' in Japanese FS world. :gallopin1
It is announced Shoma Uno and Kanako Murakami signed on a contract with management company USM which is Shizuka Arakawa's office and has Daisuke Takahashi.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKJIKM8UsAAXnmS.jpg

Shoma Uno was selected as one of 'Next Symbol Athletes' by Japanese Olympic Committee.
http://www.joc.or.jp/news/detail.html?id=6668
I don't know 'JOC Next Symbol Athlete' very well. But 'JOC Symbol Athlete' is well known. I assume JOC Next Symbol Athletes must be upcoming athletes who are expected to be a JOC Symbol Athlete in near future. Mao and Daiuske used to be Symbol Athletes. Hanyu was selected as a Symbol Athlete before Sochi Olys but I assume the contract is not going to be updated this time. Some more Symbol Athletes are supposed to be added from now, though.

*JOC Symbol Athlete: JOC pay about 20 million yen per year to the symbol athletes for the image rights. JOC partner companies can use images of JOC Symbol Athletes for free. The program provides the athlete with funding from JOC partner companies.

ETA:
On July 17 Shoma Uno was awarded for leaving good results in international competitions by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/general/2015/07/17/0008219267.shtml

Turandot as an homage to Arakawa!? :saint:

ETA:
How could I forget to post the most important news?
Can't wait to see his first appearance at this season's international competition! :cheer:

Yoshiko Kobayashi of JSF revealed they send Shoma Uno, Satoko Miyahara and Kanako Murakami to US International Classic which starts from September 16.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKJG6YMUcAAcu4S.jpg

Last edited:

Spun Silver

That is one hell of a program. (I was going to say heck, but it just doesn't do the program justice.) No wonder he was tired, esp. after that painful looking bellysplat on the 3Z. He is perfection as a skater. I even forgive him for using Nessun Dorma.

kittyjake5

That is one hell of a program. (I was going to say heck, but it just doesn't do the program justice.) No wonder he was tired, esp. after that painful looking bellysplat on the 3Z. He is perfection as a skater. I even forgive him for using Nessun Dorma.

I am very impressed with the program layout. Fingers crossed that he does not
overwork himself (he is known for that) and remains injury free. He is a pretty
amazing skater and I believe he will be in the mix for medals this season.

rayhaneh

Shoma skated his SP yesterday at a local Nagoya event: there's been some tv coverage that can be seen here

All the feedback I could find from people who were there was overwhelmingly positive: he skated clean 4T, 3A and 3F3T but people also noted that he's clearly grown into the program since we last saw him perform it

MAXSwagg

Shoma skated his SP yesterday at a local Nagoya event: there's been some tv coverage that can be seen here

All the feedback I could find from people who were there was overwhelmingly positive: he skated clean 4T, 3A and 3F3T but people also noted that he's clearly grown into the program since we last saw him perform it

His skating skills are much better than Yuzu's at this age. Sorry Yuzu. :D But really, he has good use of the edge!

rayhaneh

His skating skills are much better than Yuzu's at this age. Sorry Yuzu. :D But really, he has good use of the edge!

The thing that really amazes me is his ability to use deep edges together with full body movements at a very high standard of execution for a skater: it's this combination at that level of quality which I find actually pretty rare among skaters. That's something he's been good at for a long time but he's progressed a lot, especially ahead of last season: his steps sequence in his last SP is a good illustration of that, and if his new SP is any indication, it looks like they've worked on getting him to execute the same quality of movements and edges but at greater speed, improving this aspect of his skating further

lauravvv

Thank you, rayhaneh.

So true.

Sylvia

Are there any Japanese articles ahead of Shoma Uno's international season debut in Salt Lake City this week?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177

Sylvia

Here's his quote that was published at the end of Lynn Rutherford's recap article on IceNetwork:
"I missed a lot," Uno said. "I was not physically injured, but I did not believe in myself. I was too nervous. I will forget about the result tonight and believe in myself more for the long program tomorrow."

Sylvia

Re-posting from the Japan news thread in GSD:
... shout out to Shoma for winning the FS! My goodness he did 2 ratified quads!
His FS received the highest score in tech and components.
Shoma Uno excerpt from Lynn Rutherford's FS recap article on IN (link is posted in the Japan news thread):
Japan's world junior champion Shoma Uno finished atop the free skate standings with 154.96 points, but a disappointing short program relegated him to fifth place overall with 207.41 points.

The stylish Uno hit back-to-back quad toes at the start of his "Nessun Dorma" free, and followed with a spread eagle into a triple axel. Although he took a disruptive fall on his second triple axel, it was still by far the most complete performance of the evening.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma had a media day for Japan Open. You can see a glimpse of his practice at Chukyo Uni' rink.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x380gey_0929-シニア本格参戦へ-練習を公開_sport

This is a report from his first competition in this season at US International Classics.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37wmem_0928-usインターナショナル-シーズン初戦に密着_sport
US Intl report
*I summarize narration briefly and translate Shoma's words more closely.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37wmem_0928-usインターナショナル-シーズン初戦に密着_sport
1:00-
He got 4T &3A in his arsenal last season and it led him to a break through. He won gold at both Jr Worlds and Jr GP final. He received the world record scores in Jr field.
1:15-
Shoma: If [my 4T&3A] not consistent, perhaps I would have continued competing in Jr field for more years. Glad I could finish last season as a happy one. I have nothing to regret. I'll do my best in Sr field from this season.
Narration: His Sr GP debut is to be made in the US. He's never experienced any GP event in the US. With the Skate America in his sight he participated in an international competition in the US.
1:55-
Shoma: This year I am on the bottom of the roster in Sr field. Glad I can skate free from pressures like "I must win." I'm expecting I'll enjoy skating at competitions compared to last season.
Narration: (showing a photo with Mao. My note: Mao let kid Shoma play around her when Shoma happened to visit Coach Yamada's rink. And the experience led him to start figure skating.) His skating started with joy. However, last season he had big burden that he had to lead Jr skaters [of his country.]
Shoma: Kind of responsibilities, or the feelings that I must do well.
Narration: He is free from the burden now. It's the best time for him to be back to basics and enjoy skating.
-Shoma making jokes in front of the TV camera.
Narration: At this moment it's fun for him to catch up with the skaters who are on higher ranks. For that he has to face challenges.
Shoma: I felt I had room to take back the mistakes on quads by doing well on other jumps last year. But [this year] I'm in the Sr field. So I need to nail them.
Narration: In Sr field he needs to nail multiple quads. Uno will do more quads and 3As than last season.
-Subtitle. SP (last year) 0 quad, 1 3A->(this year)1 quad, 1 3A(in the second half), LP (last year) 1 quad, 2 3As ->(this year) 2 quads, 2 3As(1 in the second half)
Narration: Actually he once challenged a difficult layout with Sr field in his sight last season. And he pilled up mistakes.
03:52-
Shoma (in last November at Jr Nationals) I really felt it's great that Sr skaters do such [difficult layouts] at every competition. So hard.
Narration: In Sr field he has to skate 30 seconds longer program than in Jr field. A day before the event (=US Intl this season) he had no stamina left after finishing his LP runthrough in the official practice.
04:33-
-SP at US International Clasic: He popped/fell on the opening quad as well as popped the axcel into a 2A in the second half of the program. At the end of the day he messed up throughout the program that he even hadn't experienced in Jr field.
Shoma (after SP): I'm quite down right now. I was nervous and skated so cautious. I should have skated determined. I wish I'll show a long program which will erase the issues I left in SP. I'll do my best to take back the mistakes in my SP.
05:39-
-LP at US Intl: He nailed the opening 4T.
Shoma: I actually felt you'll not do good skates when you are not aggressive.
06:27-
Shoma: I piled up practices so that my body memorize the program to execute it automatically.
Narration: He nailed the perfect opening 4T, and a clean 4T-2T followed it. Including the 3A which he made a mistake on in SP he nailed three of the three difficult jumps. He kept aggressive during the long program. In the second half, he saved a 3A from a fall even though he was exhausted in the last 30 seconds which he didn't have in Jr field. He won in FS.
07:40-
Shoma (after FS): I could mail two quads which I made a mistake in SP. As for axels, I nailed one of them and messed up on landing on the other, not bad in total. My long program has quite big room to improve from now. Above all the most important key must be my stamina so that I can skate well throughout the long program. More difficult jumps in my sight I need to have good enough stamina.
08:14-
Narration: Actually in the official practice a day before the competition, he landed a 4Lo.
-A glimpse of the 4Lo (looks 4Lo<-<<(2ft))
Shoma: I'm not ready to show it in competitions yet, though. I see possibilities.
Narration: His fight in Sr field [full season] has just started.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information