The Mikhail Kolyada appreciation thread

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I just realized that Kulik won his OGM at the age of 20 and then retired. Mikhail is 20 now, so he's not really a "Baby Kulik" xD

Ka3sha

I have seen him before, but was not a fan. After some B events and CoR I can say that I am now :)
He has the best SS and spins from all Russian men, his jumps, especially lutz and axel, are gourges. He just need to work a little bit on his quad now.
Congratulations on a great debut, I even think that he deserves bronze today:)
Anyway, he may has a bright future and, I hope, he will :cheer2:
If I have an opportunity to chose a team for EC/WC now - it would be Adian, Misha and Max

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
TAT said in her commentary during his skate that his axel and lutz are so huge that he could totally add another rotation to them :lol:

BTW: His skate today inspired me to rewatch "A Nightmare before Christmas" which I had seen ages ago, but kinda forgotten. So worth it :)

Misha also seems to be a fun guy. His posts on instagram do suggest so.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
His jump technique is amazing! And good spins and charisma too! Still confused at how a no-quad Rippon with several sketchy jumps managed to match Kolyada's TES today (probably the man layback?) but in any event, Kolyada was so good at CoR! Definitely a fan. And he was 1st of all the Russians in the FS! I'm hoping he can at least get to Euros if not Worlds.

Russia has 2 mens spots to Worlds but 3 for Euros right? I think Kolyada is more interesting than Kovtun, more souplike than Pitkeev, and more well-rounded than Voronov. But he doesn't have reputation so who knows what will happen at Nationals.

That 3a would make Plushy proud though :swoon:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Not only is Kolyada more interesting than Kovtun, he's much more talented, expressive, voidy, and exciting to watch. Apparently the Brit Euro guys don't watch juniors because they are always saying how this is the first time they have seen certain young talented skaters in their debut on the senior GP.

Boy will the Brit Euro guys be excited when they get an eye-full of Deniss Vasiljevs! :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ :lol: What a cheeky kid! He's got some sass and loads of talent. Welcome to the big leagues, Mr. MK-4ever ... you've got staying power and mucho medals in your future with your talent and those initials. :cool:

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
No idea. They usually announce the Euros team before or after the gala, Worlds will be determined based on Euros results I suppose.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Evgeni Plushenko and his wife Yana Rudkovskaya had a bet going on: Who will be Russian champion?
Yana said it would be Kovtun, Plush went with Misha.
So, Plush lost the bet and had to get a bottle of champagne for her :rofl:
http://www.kp.ru/online/news/2263002/

But Plush says that he doesn't really regard his choice as the failed one because he would've placed Kolyada above Kovtun and he says that he sees a lot of potential in Mikhail ("he could do quad salchows and lutzes and even more" etc.) and would even love to consult him.

I would love for it to happen :)

C

casken

He truly is something like a cross between Kulik and Klimkin, but quite consistent.
His jumps are huge and he lands them most of the time and he is quite voidy.

I noticed the Klimkin thing during his FS. The arm/hand movements, even just the overall style feels very reminiscent.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have been hoping for Kolyada to be successful, and it's happening now. He has the potential to win Silver at the Europeans This year, ahead of Kovtun. If that happens, the RSF may invest in Kolyada instead of Kovtun. The only reason Kovtun got as far as he did was- there was no strong Russian skater, and he had TAT's support.

Li'Kitsu

^ Especially if you take into consideration that Kovtun won this national title on PCS, while Mika slightly beat him in the TES. He has more quality in pretty much... everything (sorry Kovtun!). It'll depend a lot on how the new quad works at Euros. If he hits it, he could score pretty huge I think :biggrinbo

Good luck for Euros Mika!!:cheer2:

Cherub721

YEAH!
^ Especially if you take into consideration that Kovtun won this national title on PCS, while Mika slightly beat him in the TES. He has more quality in pretty much... everything (sorry Kovtun!). It'll depend a lot on how the new quad works at Euros. If he hits it, he could score pretty huge I think :biggrinbo

Good luck for Euros Mika!!:cheer2:

Watching on my computer, it seemed like he lacked speed... but some of the comments on the live pbp thread suggested he was fast... any thoughts?

Did you guys see this funny moment in the gala finale where he jumps and almost crashes into Julia at the boards but she doesn't even notice cause she's signing autographs? :rofl:
https://youtu.be/Mq3x8KVM4qw?t=340

Li'Kitsu

Watching on my computer, it seemed like he lacked speed... but some of the comments on the live pbp thread suggested he was fast... any thoughts?

Did you guys see this funny moment in the gala finale where he jumps and almost crashes into Julia at the boards but she doesn't even notice cause she's signing autographs? :rofl:
https://youtu.be/Mq3x8KVM4qw?t=340

I thought his speed was good. Not outstanding, but easily better than most of the other russian man. He's really smooth over the ice and has good basic skating, it's quite noticeable compared to the other guys IMO. Kovtuns SS for example aren't bad, but he doesn't hold his speed as well as Mika does. I haven't seen him live though ^^"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information