The Fifth ISU Grand Prix and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final of the 2023/24 Allotted to Espoo and Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie S

I was in Atlanta for a conference last month and don't care to visit again, but I suppose that would be better than LP or Vegas. Maybe. I've never been to Dallas so that might be fun....but they would need to have a smaller arena.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I was in Atlanta for a conference last month and don't care to visit again, but I suppose that would be better than LP or Vegas. Maybe. I've never been to Dallas so that might be fun....but they would need to have a smaller arena.
I believe there are some smaller arenas in the DFW burbs where some minor league hockey teams play. It could work.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Yeah, but an arena in the burbs would be the same situation as Boston, needing to rent a car and deal with parking.

speaking of the burbs, no one seems to mention Hoffman Estates, which was two suburbs away from where I grew up. Did you guys all like that when it was there?

Karen-W

Yeah, but an arena in the burbs would be the same situation as Boston, needing to rent a car and deal with parking.
True enough, but that's likely the case for almost any location with a right-sized arena. Either you have to drive there, like LP or Hershey, or you're in the burbs of a major metropolis.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
speaking of the burbs, no one seems to mention Hoffman Estates, which was two suburbs away from where I grew up. Did you guys all like that when it was there?
It was too far from the airport. If they go back to the Chicago area they should have it at Allstate Arena where SOI holds their show. Itā€™s a few minutes from the airport and there were hotels within walking distance.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Most of the parking in dfw suburbs is abundant and free. But yeah all the good place I can think of are a hustle from the airports.

ChillSkate

It's unusual that the Skate America location hasn't been announced yet, right? I remember buying tickets last year in early-mid May. Skate Canada tickets go on sale next week - we won't even know where Skate America is located before then?!?! Maybe I missed something?

emilieh

It's unusual that the Skate America location hasn't been announced yet, right? I remember buying tickets last year in early-mid May. Skate Canada tickets go on sale next week - we won't even know where Skate America is located before then?!?! Maybe I missed something?

Yes, it's pretty late to not know the location yet.

USFS hosted two ISU championships this winter/spring, which is not the norm. Maybe their events staff just got behind.

Rhumba dā€™Amour

USFS' announced Skate America in Norwood, Mass. last year on April 19. I've heard unofficially that info should be made public "soon" but not sure if that means before or after USFS' annual Governing Council meeting (May 3-6 in Las Vegas).
Youā€™d think they would want to announce before tickets go on sale for Skate Canada, though. You knowā€”so folks considering both/either would have the ability to make an informed decision.

Just my two cents!

Sylvia

TBD
Youā€™d think they would want to announce before tickets go on sale for Skate Canada, though. You knowā€”so folks considering both/either would have the ability to make an informed decision.
Maybe certain contracts still need to be finalized and/or signed for SkAm? In any case, some fans prefer to wait for the initial GP assignments to be published before deciding which GP(s) to attend, and who knows when those assigments will happen this year? (It was July 22 last year.)

Karen-W

Maybe certain contracts still need to be finalized and/or signed for SkAm? In any case, some fans prefer to wait for the initial GP assignments to be published before deciding which GP(s) to attend, and who knows when those assigments will happen this year? (It was July 22 last year.)
The delay last year was because the 6th host was still up in the air. I think the only potential delay this year will be if the GP Hosts think the ISU Council is likely to lift the ban on Russians. It's going to be interesting to see what they do if the ISU doesn't lift the ban in June, but does in October before the GPs begin. Will the skaters/teams who were still in the WS Top 24 move to the top of the alternates list? Or will they be ineligible because they weren't eligible for selection on 7/1?

Rhumba dā€™Amour

According to USFS Twitter, there is a Skate America announcement coming May 10th.
Itā€™s about time!

If they wait all this time and then announce it will be in Vegas again I am going to be annoyed. Iā€™m hoping that all the delay means it will be in a new, hopefully good location.

Last edited:

On My Own

It was TBA for so long, who even knows why. I'll just hope they'll have oxygen tanks this time around.

SidelineSkater

I understand why some people will wait for the lineups before making a purchase (but even those aren't guaranteed). I think I posted up thread or in a similar thread...if all the other hosts can secure a venue well in advance, why can't USFS?

You'd think they realize some of us want to know a location to make travel arrangements in advance and to plan out travel budgets for the rest of the year. You know, because it's all about being convenient for me!

Karen-W

USFS is teasing with "y'all" on Twitter.

Greensboro? Texas? Plz Greensboro I can drive.
I'd bet on Nashville. Isn't there an ISU Adult Comp scheduled for Nashville around mid-October?

ETA - Oct 18-22

SkAm dates are Oct 20-22. Seems awfully convenient.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Darn. Iā€™d go to Nashville but will be in Israel that week. Euros in Budapest still seems my best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information