The Dance Hall 8: Join the Maskerade 2020-2021

mjb52

There is some good French hip hop out there; I googled awhile ago and found a few articles with a sampling of YouTube videos that I enjoyed a lot. I don't know if it matches with the idea of So You Think You Can Dance audience friendly type stuff, but I've only seen that show a few times.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Wagret/Souquet were with Alper Ucar and John Kerr this past season in Florida (iceberg_skating_academy on Instagram - their program recently moved to the Coral Springs, FL rink).
I hadn’t followed that close, but they were definitely with Marina before that.

I feel like we’re seeing a lot of teams choosing to train closer to home now.

Sylvia

TBD
I hadn’t followed that close, but they were definitely with Marina before that.
Yes they were - I assume they moved to the Kerrs with Alper Ucar.

From January 2021:
Turkey's Alper Ucar and Berk Akalin (with new partner Yuliia Zlata representing TUR), as well as France's Julia Wagret/Pierre Souquet, used to be in Zoueva's group and they are now based at the Iceberg Skating Academy in Pembroke Pines, Florida, that was founded by Ucar, John & Nadine Kerr: https://www.instagram.com/iceberg_skating_academy/

sap5

Last time around, Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, Hubbell/Donohue, Weaver/Poje, Chock/Bates, Stepanova/Bukin, and Hawayek/Baker were all among the seniors using hip hop. If teams of that prominence were willing to tackle it the first time around, I don't see why it should be all that daunting now (tbh I'd find more strict blues and swing programs far more refreshing given my feelings about the caliber of most on-ice hip hop).
Last time around the gap between what ice dance judges thought was good quality hip hop, and what I thought was good quality hip hop, was huge. Far bigger than the gap that typically existed between SYTYCD judges and myself -- and I had plenty of disagreements there as well. :lol:

Dobre

I really don't understand why, France will be more opened up once P/C retire and Canada already has top teams AND great juniors on the rise?
I don't see a particularly strong reason for why they shouldn't though. P&C have only benefited Lauriault & LeGac opportunity-wise. Without P&C to earn the second berth, it will be down to the younger teams to do it & L&LG aren't in a particularly good position there at the moment. Maybe less travel & the support of the Canadian fed would be a plus. If Gilles & Poirier do retire after the Olympics, then there's an opening on the Canadian team. And the Danadians + Lajoie & Lagha are in a decent position to earn a third berth post international retirements. Canada has some good juniors right now, but none as far along as L&LG. Plus, if L&LG were to get themselves on track, they could potentially make things a little more interesting for Lajoie & Lagha. Soucisse & Firus are there to go after the same opening, of course; but they probably aren't any more competition than the current young teams in France. Six of one; half dozen of another. Easier to get a host berth at the French GP; but shoot, L&LG would have an in getting invited there anyway.

(All of this assuming Carreira & Ponomarenko are continuing to compete for the US).

It seems like earlier I had read speculation that L&LG were considering getting out all together? So I guess, switching countries is better news regarding their current outlook.

Sylvia

TBD
(All of this assuming Carreira & Ponomarenko are continuing to compete for the US).
Re-posting this IFS article link (originally published in the IFS June 2021 issue):
... in August 2020, she finally received a green card. “It was a very long, complicated story,” said Carreira. “I actually petitioned three times and the third time I was approved. There were still problems getting the card and getting it expedited, but now I have it.”

litenkyckling

skylark

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Won't it be a problem for Christina eventually getting US citizenship if they're living in Canada?
She's not going to be living in Canada for most of the year. She's going to commute over the border.

sap5

She's not going to be living in Canada for most of the year. She's going to commute over the border.
Yes. She will basically have an hour commute to the rink, while Anthony gets to live in London and will have a very short commute.

ostile17

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information