The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstflight

The 193 score for K/S at the Bosphorous Istanbul Cup is very high but not eyebrow raising considering how high the scoring was in general. It’s N/N’s 189 that’s :eek: relative to K/S’s score.

Dobre

The 193 score for K/S at the Bosphorous Istanbul Cup is very high but not eyebrow raising considering how high the scoring was in general. It’s N/N’s 189 that’s :eek: relative to K/S’s score.

Might I ask why? Nazarova & Nikitin defeated Kaliszek & Spodyriev at Worlds in 2018 and the two teams finished back to back at Europeans that season and back to back at the 2017 World Championships. (Last year N&N were not close, but it was pretty clear that--along with switching coaches--they really were not ready or at their normal level for the post-Olympic season).

firstflight

Might I ask why? Nazarova & Nikitin defeated Kaliszek & Spodyriev at Worlds in 2018 and the two teams finished back to back at Europeans that season and back to back at the 2017 World Championships. (Last year N&N were not close, but it was pretty clear that--along with switching coaches--they really were not ready or at their normal level for the post-Olympic season).

Because it’s 10+ points higher than their previous all-time highest score from this same season at a relatively high-scoring event [Minsk] as well (both teams were there as H/K was going 117 in the FD). Based on K/S’ other scores in other competitions this season, to score a 114-115 in the FD at this type of competition is not noteworthy.

N/N being lofted well into the 110’s, however, is brand new territory. So I’m curious to see if they are now judged as a 108ish FD team when they hit in the bigger competitions.

Last edited:

Dobre

Because it’s 10+ points higher than their previous all-time highest score from this same season at a relatively high-scoring event [Minsk] as well (both teams were there as H/K was going 117 in the FD).

N/N being lofted well into the 110’s, however, is brand new territory. So I’m curious to see if they are now judged as a 108ish FD team when they hit in the bigger competitions.

OK.

Since all the scores skyrocketed for most of the teams last season, I suppose it's not that surprising to me that N&N are having the same experience on a rather delayed schedule this season. (It was more shocking to me what a mess they were last season. I am so glad to see them back on track!)

Scores in the FD seem to be all over the place for teams between last season & this season. I also am curious how N&N will score at Europeans. They defeated Lajoie & Lagha and Green & Parsons at Lombardia so 108+ is very plausible. (Though scores could also be a lot tighter at Euros with a bunch of teams in the running for the same berths, as scores were at Lombardia with that scenario).

I agree that the scores at Minsk were super high. If you are assuming, though, that the Bosphorous Istanbul Cup is a mutually high scoring event (which it sounds like you are based on your post?), then N&N would score quite a bit higher than Minsk if they did not splat in the FD, which they did in Minsk. They had a 3.00 deduction plus the dropped levels and negative 5 GOE there. (Probably lost at least 8 points in that FD?). I've not seen anything from the Bosphorous Istanbul Cup so I wouldn't know how well it was skated, but--despite the scores--the teams in Minsk were really not at their best).

Last edited:

mollymgr

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what is the maximum possible total score in ice dance? We must be getting pretty close to it and we aren't even done with Season 2 yet.

firstflight

I agree that the scores at Minsk were super high. If you are assuming, though, that the Bosphorous Istanbul Cup is a mutually high scoring event (which it sounds like you are based on your post?), then N&N would score quite a bit higher than Minsk if they did not splat in the FD, which they did in Minsk. They had a 3.00 deduction plus the dropped levels and negative 5 GOE there. (Probably lost at least 8 points in that FD?). I've not seen anything from the Bosphorous Istanbul Cup so I wouldn't know how well it was skated, but--despite the scores--the teams in Minsk were really not at their best).

I saw the RD’s but maybe the FD’s loaded today. I went down from 1st to 6th place and all of them scored significantly higher than their all-time ISU highest total score with Lagouge/Caffa outpacing their Nepela previous highest total by 18 points. I just made a conclusion based on that fact.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what is the maximum possible total score in ice dance? We must be getting pretty close to it and we aren't even done with Season 2 yet.
According to David Molina's calculations, the maximum senior scores for this season are 96.02 in the rhythm dance and 141.58 in the free dance. In juniors, it is 87.62 in the rhythm dance and 128.74 in the free dance.

Sylvia

TBD
According to David Molina's calculations, the maximum senior scores for this season are 96.02 in the rhythm dance and 141.58 in the free dance. In juniors, it is 87.62 in the rhythm dance and 128.74 in the free dance.
Source link (Aug. 4, 2019):

Dobre

I saw the RD’s but maybe the FD’s loaded today. I went down from 1st to 6th place and all of them scored significantly higher than their all-time ISU highest total score with Lagouge/Caffa outpacing their Nepela previous highest total by 18 points. I just made a conclusion based on that fact.

Yes, it's a logical conclusion. That is usually what I look at too: how many of the teams as a whole scored above their other SB scores.

(Only I don't really worry about it unless it's an event that is used to rank teams' SBs).

I would hypothesize that Nazarova & Nikitin are back to the level they were at before last season. A number of teams that finished above them last year at Worlds are having a tough season this year. (Yanovskaya & Lukacs appear to have disappeared. Koch & Nuchtern are in a fight at home. Turkkila & Versluis have been dealing with an injury). The exception being Reed & Ambrulevicius. N&N defeated them at Lombardia and split dances with them during the event so that could be an interesting head-to-head at Europeans. Lauriault & Le Gac have been very up & down too.

Bigbird

Gadbois group came and did their thing while the judging compliment went nuts, but hey I am so cool with the palcements. LOL.

Last edited:

firstflight

Even after that stumble, P/C still had the highest base value, lol. All six teams received a level 2 on the midline/diagonal step sequence. Their score was certainly beatable but the two teams who’ve already scored higher than 84 couldn’t deliver it today.

Ka3sha

They might be politically done, but they were the best skaters of the night yesterday. Honestly, given P/C’s mistake on the steps I’d have H/D first (by a small margin, but still first).

chantilly

I don’t think the politics is done for H and D. They had some mistake laden skates

C and B are better then they’ve ever been.

S and K when they’re on have speed, power and good elements.

Both teams above have infinitely better material then H and D.

But IMO with better material H and D should be ahead. I think the judges think that too. They’re just waiting for H and D to bring the material. But they’re not going to wait much longer.

Bigbird

I don’t think the politics is done for H and D. They had some mistake laden skates

But IMO with better material H and D should be ahead. I think the judges think that too. They’re just waiting for H and D to bring the material. But they’re not going to wait much longer.
H D have been experimenting, growing and dealing with injury. The skated differently yesterday. As for S and K, the former cannot dance and that was painfully obvious yesterday and they were very nervous, why, because the IAM team came to dominate. Let the hunger games begin. Sonner or later I want to see that group sweep this thing. For all their pretty packaging Stepanova cannot skate and Sinitsina cannot really dance at the Ilinylh level or a level that will elevate or force Katsalapov to be any better. Maybe their junior teams will be more compatible. But meh....

starrynight

I couldn't bring myself to say there's a hunger games in ice dance. You can't have that when the winner is pre-determined permanently. Seeing who gets silver and bronze isn't really as interesting.

I do feel like ice dance would get some life kicked back into it if gold medals were actually on the line.

bcash

They did a side by side diagonal run across the rink in the warm-up and the speed looked awesome on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information