The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

deegee

But at Shanghi they got 86 and change. Does that count?

oh yeah i guess. just trying to get a sense of how the judges are slotting them for now even though i appreciate that ice is slippery and we're just starting the gp season.

Madison25

It is still shocking how much overscored are Stepanova and Bukin in comparison to powerful skaters with very good skating skills such as Hubbell and Donohue. It seems that judges totally ignore her bad SS, and inability to generate power and speed. Carrereira, unfortunetly, is in the same situation.
A nice surprise are Green/Parsons. I really like their couple, they are powerful skaters, I love their speed and edges. For me they are already better than Carreira/Panomarenko as the basic skills are just much better.

Bigbird

I've got to say S/B have really improved, I can even find it within myself to almost forgive the blatant peepshow that is Stepanova's FD dress. Yes they need a bit more smoothing out but there should be nothing between them and S/K this year. S/B's programes are also much superior especially their FD. Russian Nationals will be a treat.

EDIT: As per the scoring, who knows with ice dance I thought H/D were underscored for what they put out there tonight but hey.....

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I was expecting some bizarre transitions from Einaudi to Timberlake but it was actually done smoothly and I kinda like the program.

The score, on the other hand, is another matter. Since last season Alexandra has been getting 9s for her SS, while Michael Parsons just got 7s here, which is :lol:

happycamper2554

I've got to say S/B have really improved, I can even find it within myself to almost forgive the blatant peepshow that is Stepanova's FD dress. Yes they need a bit more smoothing out but there should be nothing between them and S/K this year. S/B's programes are also much superior especially their FD. Russian Nationals will be a treat.

S/K RD is 100 times better

Madison25

I was expecting some bizarre transitions from Einaudi to Timberlake but it was actually done smoothly and I kinda like the program.

The scores, on the other hand, is another matter. Since last season Alexandra has been getting 9s for her SS, while Michael Parsons just got 7s here, which is :lol:
Yes, Step/Bukin have good programs, I like them too. In fact, there were many interesting programs in this competition. I also liked the programs of H/D, G/P, S/E, Z/G.
Along the fact that S/B received huge scores for SS, they also received huge GOE for the elements, for the twizzle for example, which were really common, or for the lifts - the rotational lift seemed hesitant. So i dont get the scores:(:scream:

mjb52

One thing I will say about S/K is that a lot of teams went weird this year, so it may have been a mistake to go so normcore... or it may have been exactly the right choice who the hell knows with ice dance! I am just curious about what they would have done if they had decided to weird out this year too.

Madison25

One thing I will say about S/K is that a lot of teams went weird this year, so it may have been a mistake to go so normcore... or it may have been exactly the right choice who the hell knows with ice dance! I am just curious about what they would have done if they had decided to weird out this year too.
Maybe it is for their best, cause if we look for programs on classical music this year we wont find much (which is weird).
So they are now the ones that are different.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Well losing the FD, at home, to Russia n°2 isn't good news to Hubbel&Donahue.
IMO they should have lost with a higher margin going for Steapnova&Bukin, who have their best FD ever. Still rough considering Alexandra is still recovering, yet their FD is so much better.
H&D still think they are good storytellers. Well they're not. That's not how they really shine, too bad they keep on going there.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I feel as though they're trying to tell a story.They just don't have the chemistry like V/M to do that.

I didn't want to be the first to say it but since you brought it up I have had the same thoughts. I get the feeling they think they have a similar strength to fill that role in ice dance (probably in large part due to people saying they have great chemistry) but I don't feel they do. To me it comes across as insincere in their interpretation.

I don't know what the answer is for them. Sometimes it's obvious what direction a team might excel in but I can't see it with these two. Their 2018 FD fit them really well but they can't do that style repeatedly. Maybe next season randomly try something comedic or really abstract. I just think there are other teams they are competing against with much better chemistry and storytelling abilities.

In the battle of the Russian teams I think Step/Bukin have a much better FD than SinKats. I'd say the reverse for the RD. Haven't really been on the Step/Bukin train, and still am not,but the FD is good enough.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I´d say it's on par with their Romeo/Juliet debut.
And as much as people hated on that program they were on the podium at worlds so of course you should never write anyone off in the fall.

skategal

Bunny mama
I loved S/B FD. It needs to be smoothed out a bit but by Worlds, it will be amazing.

I need to watch H/D FD again. Not sure what I was expecting from them, but that wasn’t quite it.:shuffle:

It has lots of potential though. And the opening spin with Maddie’s hand on Zach’’s thigh was all kinds of smokin HAWT.:swoon:

Dobre

No, I haven't been keeping track of the pattern levels this season. I know that everyone at Autumn Classic except Lauriault & Le Gac bombed it but a number of teams have done better elsewhere. I've a fairly good idea who, but I would need to look them up to not miss listing people. It will be easy to look up, though. (Also, I know the juniors are mostly struggling with the second half of the Tea Time Foxtrot).

I agree about Hubbell & Donohue just debuting their programs. I think they look in better shape & more prepared than last season. They lost the FD, but they won this competition in a deep field and with the team right on their tails from Worlds here. (Having said that, I think it was a mistake not to do the U.S. Classic. They have zero time to improve between SA and SC, and I think over the years they've always learned from the hard calls at the Classic. This was a home-friendly tech panel with both a U.S. caller and Higashino who is rarely tough). Anyway, the gap in the field after retirements is gone. H&D have some cleaning up of the movement in their FD to do and they have serious competition on their hands. They could have made a much better argument for themselves last season and been in a much better position right now, but that is water under the bridge at this point. They got to the top by bringing in level 4s on the steps. They're gonna have to go there.

I think winning the FD was a coup for Stepanova & Bukin, though. It's the stuff breakthrough moments are made of--winning a portion of a competition in someone else's backyard. (Their scores could easily go up a bunch of points just by flying across the ocean). This was a very tough venue & scenario to open their season on. Away from home, in H&D's backyard, and coming off an injury with no preseason. The free definitely looks further along than the RD. (The message for them in the RD was pretty clear. They need to get the pattern). Worlds in Montreal is a big ask for S&B, and showing up for it skating to Moulin Rouge in the RD is probably not something they would do if they were from North American culture. But they look hungry. They did themselves a solid in a tough situation. That's what you have to do to get to the top because everybody comes up against those tough situations sooner or later.

The scenario of one team with a more polished RD and one with a more polished FD happens a lot with debut skates. You see one program really ready from each team and they often aren't the same program.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Can we talk about why Gadbois cannot teach a pattern? (Leaving aside, of course, those who came to them already good at patterns.) You'd think it would be a fairly important thing to teach! I know it's not the only element that counts, but it does count for something. I'm thinking for instance of my uberees S/F, who are going to remain forever stuck in the low 70s in the short if they cannot fix their pattern. Their lifts score great, their twizzles score well, everything is hunky-dory except that pattern. Even if their coaches do have 12,945,237 other teams, you'd think they'd still want to help them fix what's holding them back. Especially since a significant percentage of that 12,945,237 is also being held back by it.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
??? All the teams that have a level 4 thus far train at Gadbois.

But a lot of the teams that are bombing the pattern also train at Gadbois. I know there are those on this board and elsewhere who have mentioned it before. There was quite a bit of talk about it with last year's Tango Romantica.

RoseRed

Can we talk about why Gadbois cannot teach a pattern? (Leaving aside, of course, those who came to them already good at patterns.) You'd think it would be a fairly important thing to teach! I know it's not the only element that counts, but it does count for something. I'm thinking for instance of my uberees S/F, who are going to remain forever stuck in the low 70s in the short if they cannot fix their pattern. Their lifts score great, their twizzles score well, everything is hunky-dory except that pattern. Even if their coaches do have 12,945,237 other teams, you'd think they'd still want to help them fix what's holding them back. Especially since a significant percentage of that 12,945,237 is also being held back by it.
FB/S have been with them for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information