The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Double posting from the Kiss & Cry:

Curious if any of you have an opinion about why Lajoie & Lagha lost the choreographic steps in the FD. (Curious because if it happened to them, it could undoubtedly happen to other teams).

The bullet points on p. 8 here for the choreographic step sequence are the following: https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...ications-fs/16863-isu-communication-2148/file

1. Performed anywhere in the program. (Well, it would be hard to miss that one).
2. Must be placed around the short axis and proceed from barrier to barrier. (So there's two parts to that one).
3. May be in hold or not touching. (Doesn't say it can be both so I suppose it's possible to muck that one up).

My guess would be #2: didn't proceed from barrier to barrier. Hard to see how far forward they come after the lift because the camera doesn't show the barrier. But it doesn't look like they come too far. So my guess is that they didn't come close enough to that first barrier.

Program is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dok0bLKDw1Y

It's only the 2nd element in if anyone else wants to take a look & hypothesize. (Only other thing I can think of is that maybe they get up to the barrier but don't separate until after they have left it and maybe the element doesn't start to count until after the separation). Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bigbird

Curious if any of you have an opinion about why Lajoie & Lagha lost the choreographic steps in the FD. (Curious because if it happened to them, it could undoubtedly happen to other teams).

The bullet points on p. 8 here for the choreographic step sequence are the following: https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...ications-fs/16863-isu-communication-2148/file

1. Performed anywhere in the program. (Well, it would be hard to miss that one).
2. Must be placed around the short axis and proceed from barrier to barrier. (So there's two parts to that one).
3. May be in hold or not touching. (Doesn't say it can be both so I suppose it's possible to muck that one up).

My guess would be number #2: didn't proceed from barrier to barrier. Hard to see how far forward they come after the lift because the camera doesn't show the barrier. But it doesn't look like they come too far. So my guess is that they didn't come close enough to that first barrier.

Program is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dok0bLKDw1Y

It's only the 2nd element in if anyone else wants to take a look & hypothesize. (Only other thing I can think of is that maybe they get up to the barrier but don't separate until after they have left it and maybe the element doesn't start to count until after the separation). Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Their exists a wee manual, twice as bulky as the rules, that only the judges are privy to that explains the nuances of these craptastic, bogus, mind-numbingly tedious rules. Before each grand-prix event half of the judges study that wee manual the other half have a hot toddy then retire. We might as well go back to a 6.0 or 10.0 system, period. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

Cayuse

Double posting from the Kiss & Cry:

Curious if any of you have an opinion about why Lajoie & Lagha lost the choreographic steps in the FD. (Curious because if it happened to them, it could undoubtedly happen to other teams

When the Parsons did choreographic steps at Lake Placid, they literally could have touched the barrier on both sides of the arena. He fell so they didn't get a good score. Lajoie and Lagha seem to get close to the back barrier, but they don't come all the way forward to the judges' side, instead they turn to set up for their twizzle sequence IMHO.

Last edited:

Bigbird

I think you’re 100% on the money @Dobre . They don’t start anywhere near the barrier IMO.

@Bigbird This nuance to the ChSt is necessary to distinguish it from a Step Sequence.

A pity. I get the need to differentiate between the two types of step sequences but I've found the few that I've identified (ChSt) hideous. They really highlight the difference in abilities of the skaters. Ugh.

barbarafan

I think you’re 100% on the money @Dobre . They don’t start anywhere near the barrier IMO.

@Bigbird This nuance to the ChSt is necessary to distinguish it from a Step Sequence.

Thank-you....I was really wondering about what happened. Both Canadian teams did not get very good levels at this competition on several moves but their flow speed and expression was wonderful.

Dobre

Thank-you....I was really wondering about what happened. Both Canadian teams did not get very good levels at this competition on several moves but their flow speed and expression was wonderful.

Shevchenko & Eremenko gave up 5 levels beyond the level 3 footwork sequences also. And Kuts & Mikhailov gave up 8. (I figure you hope for a level 3 footwork sequence from the top junior teams so I generally just look at the dropped levels beyond that). The tech panel called a tight event, I think. (Well, except for the Italians, who may have a tougher time with a different panel). Anyway, it's a new season with a lot of new rules & elements so both we--the fans--and the teams/coaches have a lot to learn at this stage.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Starting slowly slowly to get back into the new season and I already have a question about some new abbreviations in the protocol. What does OFStL3+OFStM3 and SyTwL2+SyTwM4 for instance ? I guess the Tw is for twizzles but what about the Sy, Synchronised maybe. I also suppose L is for Lady and M for man as the twizzles are being separately evaluated.

Dobre

The entry lists for Ondrej Nepela are posted. Interesting that Russia is going to put Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Zagorsky & Guerreiro, and Popova & Mozgov all up head-to-head right away.

Just pointing out for those people not in the Kiss & Cry that Zagorsky & Guerreiro are off the list for Ondrej Nepela.

Not surprising. I thought it was surprising to see all three teams signed up for the same event in the first place.

It's interesting to see different strategies being employed here. Russia is pitting three teams that could be competitive with each other right from the bat

It's possible that in this case Z&G have just been moved to another event, but this reminded me of your comment and how--quite often--the result of pitting closely ranked teams up against each other in an early event is that someone pulls out or doesn't do both programs. In which case the end result is negative, as the teams don't get the full experience that they could have. Because it's not necessarily that teams aren't ready to debut early--though often they aren't--but that it takes a different level of preparedness to be ready to go head-to-head with your close competition.

Starting slowly slowly to get back into the new season and I already have a question about some new abbreviations in the protocol. What does OFStL3+OFStM3

I think this is One Foot Step Sequence. Lady's score first. Then the man's.

Last edited:

Dobre

Who is he and what is his background? Is he a new coach, or has he coached other teams before?

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012565.htm

In addition to what little is mentioned in the ISU bio linked above, a post in the Kiss & Cry says he trained in the U.S. Plus a post on Golden Skate says he skated with & helped train Annabelle Morozov before she found a partner. That's all I've seen.

starrynight

Interested in finding this rocker. Did any of the teams at Salt Lake City get it?

All the teams seemed to be getting it earlier on this season, but maybe the tech panel has toughened up?

H/D got 2 x +5goe and the rest 4's on their lift.

The RD lift is quite on the basic side for H/D but I guess it does fulfil the requirements for level 4.

Although, only one team didn't get a level 4 lift, so it seems like they are pretty straight forward for teams to accomplish. Makes you wonder why teams bother to do the complicated rotational lifts with ladies up on their shoulders and balancing on one foot when a simpler curve lift would get you more points?

Last edited:

lauravvv

IMO, best tango of the season so far :love:
Sinitsina/Katsalapov (Russian Cup series)
Thank you, Ka3sha. Yes, the choreography is good, but also very difficult. I remember that the choreo for their 2016/2017 season tango FD was also quite difficult in the beginning, but then some steps were taken out as it became clear that the program was too difficult for Sinitsina to execute smoothly. Of course, she is better now than she was then, but I think MarieM is right and it could be problematic for them to execute everything on a decent level at each competition. If it will be the case, then the choreography will most likely be simplified again. Which would be a pity.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Guignard & Fabbri are my second favorite dance team. A sliver behind Gilles & Poirier.

They rocked at Lombardia... 117+?? A bit high for September? Wow... if no home inflation I can't wait to see them on GP circuit...... And of course for Babs... who doesn't love a lil Babs to cheer them up???? :40beers:

shuilee

117 for Guignard/Fabbri "La La Land" Free Dance!! Are they gonna medal at Worlds? OMG. :eek: There's always one team in post-Olympic season that makes a meteoric jump in Ice Dance standings.

I'm still not sure what the scores mean with the new rules. Do I subtract 8 points in FD and subtract 4 points in RD to get "equivalent" scores from last year?

RoseRed

117 for Guignard/Fabbri "La La Land" Free Dance!! Are they gonna medal at Worlds? OMG. :eek: There's always one team in post-Olympic season that makes a meteoric jump in Ice Dance standings.

I'm still not sure what the scores mean with the new rules. Do I subtract 8 points in FD and subtract 4 points in RD to get "equivalent" scores from last year?
Someone said it's around 105-106 in the old system (for the FD).

But in terms of medalling at worlds - umm, I doubt it. Lombardia is known for, creative scoring. And with the changes in the system, that's not a medaling score even if they are able to repeat it.

Debbie S

I think someone posted a while ago that the new max scores were something like 91 for the RD and 130 for the FD. I would expect the top teams to be scoring mid-high 80s in the RD and around 125 (or higher) in the FD.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
G/F skated very well at Lombardia so the high score, despite home inflation, is not outrageous (remembering that the ceiling is now higher). World medal could be out of reach, but they are setting themselves well to fight for a Euro medal (presumably against the 3 Russian teams, with P/C out of reach).

C

casken

G/F skated very well at Lombardia so the high score, despite home inflation, is not outrageous (remembering that the ceiling is now higher). World medal could be out of reach, but they are setting themselves well to fight for a Euro medal (presumably against the 3 Russian teams, with P/C out of reach).

IMO they've been undermarked for a while and I hope they will be allowed to move up now.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I think someone posted a while ago that the new max scores were something like 91 for the RD and 130 for the FD. I would expect the top teams to be scoring mid-high 80s in the RD and around 125 (or higher) in the FD.
Thanks so much I was coming here to ask this because I was surprised by some of the scores at those first competitions when I remembered so many changes had taken place.
BTW is there one of those videos to present the Tango pattern this year ? I need to learn to differentiate when each of the two patterns start and finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information