The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

chantilly

It’s actualy fantastic.
I really hope this challenges for a medal this season.

It’s probably the best they skated since the Maria season.

But sigh those damn twizzles.

I mean no disaster but the GOE will kill their chances if they don’t get a handle on them.

Hopefully this is the season on getting the monkey off their backs.

I’ve always liked them but admit I’ve been pretty disappointed with them since the Maria season.

This feels like they recentered or something.

V and M being gone as well as the Shibs helps.

chantilly

What were Kaitlyn’s and also this was a Canadian event.
I don’t read into the bias judging as some, but I do think there’s bumps in home country’s.

barbarafan

What were Kaitlyn’s and also this was a Canadian event.
I don’t read into the bias judging as some, but I do think there’s bumps in home country’s.
not from cdn international judges...When in doubt they lowball cdns rather than look like they are showing favourtism. If you look at the protocols you will see most over judges marking cdns higher than the cdn judge.

except what is with GRB judge PC's for Shane Firus/Carolane ....almost 3 marks lower than other judges...Christopher Buchanan

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
My two favorite tangos so far are W/P and to my great surprise Diaz/Smart which I found had the most innovative and interesting moves (love the end) whereas W/P's was extremely elegant and intimate at least for the first slow part. It's a great look for W/P, they haven't appeared so at ease and in control (except for the twizzles) for a long time. Tango is definitely their dance.
I also enjoy S/K for the energy and the non touching step sequence which has great and difficult choreography.

Dobre

not from cdn international judges...When in doubt they lowball cdns rather than look like they are showing favourtism.

Sure they do. That's how the Canadian judge marked W&P and G&P in 2nd and third at Worlds last year and also why the Canadian dance judge was one of the judges that received a warning at the Olympics. (The international dance judges for basically all countries show favoritism. Not every judge. Not every competition. But I've seen no evidence that it doesn't exist in every country).

I thought Weaver & Poje did a beautiful job with their performance today. Very much looking forward to their FD.

binbinwinwin

Weaver/Poje were the class of the field yesterday, ice coverage and speed were great. I liked their pattern best but I feel that they can still be more snappy.

Also I met Alexander Sinicyn at ACI, he watched everyone and cheered extra loud for Eliska Brezinova. He said that he retired when he did not make the Olympics and is just studying now, I think he is doing some coaching here too. I don't know what Nicole is doing though, she may have retired too.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Honestly, I liked S/F's last FD better. I'm a hokey old-fashioned ballroom girl, I admit it. :D But they have to try different things, and kudos to them for going for it. I do love the way Carolane uses her hands and arms.

And they're going to medal! Their first CS medal, I believe! :cheer2:

Viscaro

I'm impressed by a lot of tangos, and it's true that W/P have some very exciting moves there. But I thought the second part of their dance less finished.

And after your comment @Wyliefan I went to see S/F RD and I'm really into their modern tango. And Smart/Diaz really nailed it ! So sensual.

So I feel like a child loving every new shiny tango that gets thrown my way. I can't wait too make up my mind as the season progresses.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Ok W&P's FD would be fine, if they had a ****ing idea of what that song is all about.
They are destroying one of the most beautifull song there is by not even understanding what it's all about. And that song was written by a canadian (the lyrics), so really, it should be easy no? They are not living up to my expectations of bringing that particular song from Starmania at all.

The skating is fine, but please, skate it to another piece of music.

Emilia12

Ok W&P's FD would be fine, if they had a ****ing idea of what that song is all about.
They are destroying one of the most beautifull song there is by not even understanding what it's all about. And that song was written by a canadian (the lyrics), so really, it should be easy no? They are not living up to my expectations of bringing that particular song from Starmania at all.

This in not a piece about the music or the lyrics, this is about what it means to them, and that is a memory of a friend. They can do whatever they want to do with it, and it will be fine

GreenGan

I wish W/P had more intensity at the beginning of their RD, but it was nonetheless a very good program, and it will keep getting better. I agree with MarieM, they do not follow the song in their FD, but it's so nice to see them so free (except the twizzles) that it didn't bother me at all. Maybe they look so good because they don't have the extra pressure of the GP, already having 2 title, but it's a pity for their fan that they sat out of it.

I liked the choreo of Smart/Diaz' RD, even though the edges are still not there. I prefered S/K.

The RD of Soucisse/Firus is clever. The choreo is good enough to make it entertaining, even though it's not very engaging me. Still some works to do, it's early in the season..
But what I want to talk about is their FD. When I heard the music at the beginning I thought that they will be compared to James/Cipres in term of intensity/sexiness and I first thought they were not up to it yet, but then the music evolved and the contrast were very nicely used to play to their strength.The intention is lacking at some places and they need to work on the transition when they finish their lift though, we can see that it's not perfect yet. (Especially the stationnary and the rotationnal). But this is a FD I'll watch the entire season to see how it evolve.

Peepsquick

I wasn't overly impressed either. It looks a bit déja vu ... I think the choreography and execution of their RD is much better.

Bigbird

I really liked the programs that Victoria/Nikita have put out this season. They looked trained, together and showed really good musicality. If they continue to improve I think they may be Russian Champions this season.

https://youtu.be/reb_kFdS92s - RD

https://youtu.be/oHohdxqlkiE - FD

Agree about the RD, the FD not so much. They have not one iota of understanding about what they're skating to, way too heavy and mechanical for the first 3 minutes.

EDIT: I am seriously disappointed with the FDs so far. It's like everyone's trying unsuccessfully to be the second coming of P/C. I absolutely don't get what W/P is trying to sell, its so beneath them. I get that they wanted to honour Dennis but they could have done that with a gala programme, I mean the theme goes nowhere. NOWHERE.

P/M have so many music cuts I'm confused.

I am so missing Tessa and Scott and I hope G/P bring it.

BTW is there no video of the Smart and Diaz FD?

Last edited:

firstflight

I don't know why they would feel that way. The Parsons just defeated Hurtado & Khaliavin head-to-head.

Based on last year's results & H&K's strengths, I had/have Hurtado & Khaliavin penciled in as the likely favorites to grab the tenth spot at Worlds now that Muramoto & Reed are done. A head-to-head defeat of H&K, even with a split RD & FD, is a coup for any of these young U.S. dance teams, IMO.

Also McNamara & Carpenter are not skating to a warhorse. Neither in the RD or the FD. My current list of dance teams that can say that is a mighty short one. I feel incredibly grateful.

Note: Think Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson could make a good run at the top ten also, if they make it out of Canadian Nationals.

And of course Nepela is just more evidence that Alexei and Elena and team are certainly capable of preparing their first group of seniors to be competitive within the senior ranks. I'm sure you noticed that M/C way outdid S/K in base value across the two phases.

Dobre

And of course Nepela is just more evidence that Alexei and Elena and team are certainly capable of preparing their first group of seniors to be competitive within the senior ranks. I'm sure you noticed that M/C way outdid S/K in base value across the two phases.

I didn't! I had only just gotten brave enough to look at the RD protocols before I read your post. But holy toledo, that FD protocol. Level 4 on the one foot step sequence for both Lorraine & Quinn! All level fours in the FD except for a three on the other step sequence. You just made my day even brighter:).

I believe that's the first senior level-four step sequence in a Challenger event this season. And now that I am brave enough to look, they had a level four on it at Lake Placid as well:biggrinbo.

Last edited:

Debbie S

The Wheaton teams are all very strong technically. Where they have been lacking is the choreo and packaging. As the coaches get more experience on the elite Senior circuit (and adding Greg Zuerlein to the team should help), hopefully those weaknesses will improve.

Dobre

Quinn & Lorraine have not always had Level 4 senior step sequences. They started off with level 2's last year, improved them to level 3's by Cup of China, and now they have 3's & a 4 here. It's great progress for them.

McNamara & Carpenter's packaging is quite strong this season, IMO. (If anything, I feel like the Champs Camp feedback may have stripped away a bit of the initial storytelling & quirkiness I loved within their FD:(, though programs always change and it often takes me a while to adjust to those changes when I see a new rendition. Plus the camera is so far away at Nepela). I have always found M&C to have an entirely different style than the Parsons, who are not my kind of team. Plus, I find both those teams are quite different from Gropman & Somerville, whom I quite like. Gunter & Wein's programs both feel too segmented to me this year--half one style, half a completely different one. And, heavens, Ilin & Cain's Latin FD is fantastic:)). You always win some & lose some when you have 14 or so teams to choreograph for, and when teams are coming up, you give them a lot of different styles to challenge them and push them in different directions. Sometimes they work & sometimes they don't. Usually it makes a young team stronger in the end. And of course, one can always explore new veins of material and new choreographers.

But I have always enjoyed Quinn & Lorraine's programs because they are different. If they were the type of performers to please everyone, I think I would not like them nearly as much. They have plenty of room to grow, and this is going to be a crazy tough competition among all these talented young American dance teams. All of them with their own strengths.

I don't think people really want McNamara & Carpenter to go somewhere else. Marina doesn't seem to be taking on any senior teams at the moment, and I don't think they are her kind of team anyway. The other two main camps in North America have already given Carreira & Ponomarenko, Hubbell & Donohue, and Weaver & Poje Maria de Buenos Aires x2, Libertango, and Romeo & Juliet. And Chock & Bates are doing Elvis. Enough. I'm quite good with M&C's packaging.

Last edited:

Nmsis

This in not a piece about the music or the lyrics, this is about what it means to them, and that is a memory of a friend. They can do whatever they want to do with it, and it will be fine
Yes and no.
They skate this program as an hommage, detached from what the song means, which is sentimental and honourable but not very interesting IMHO.
Or they can dig deeper and use the song to transcend that program, the same way than when they learned what "Je suis malade" was about.

Because if it was just a lovely melancholic song when Denis Ten was skating to it, the lyrics strangely resonates with his fate.

Lyrics :

Why do I live ? Why do I die ?
Why do I laugh ? Why do I cry ?
Here is the SOS of an earthling in distress.

I've never had my feet on the ground.
I'd rather be a bird.
I feel uncomfortable with myself.

I'd like to see the world upside down
If it happened to be more beautiful,
More beautiful from above
Above

I've always mixed up life
With comic books.
I'm craving for metamorphosis.
I feel something
Is pulling me, pulling me, pulling me
Upwards

At the great lottery of the universe,
I didn't draw the winning ticket
I feel uncomfortable with myself

I don't want to be a robot
All work and no play

Why do I live ? Why do I die ?
Why do I shout ? Why do I cry ?

I think I'm receiving waves
Coming from another world.

I've never had my feet on the ground.
I'd rather be a bird.
I feel uncomfortable with myself

I'd like to see the world upside down
I'd rather be a bird.

Sleep, my baby, sleep.

Last edited:

starrynight

Just a few tidbits of information that people might find interesting/useful in relation to W/Ps free dance. I think that a certain amount of Weaver/Poje's free dance was choreographed before Denis' death. They had been to Detroit for the choreography by Igor at an earlier time. Kaitlyn and Andrew also had a photoshoot at a time before Denis died where they took photos of themin the opening pose of their free dance.

Bigbird

Given the lyrics shouldn't the FD be more angst driven and emotional similar to their Bitter Earth?

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Starmania does resonate too with their "hommage".
That song arrives when Johnny Roquefort has lost his love (Cristal) and is brought to jail. It's when everything is lost and the bad guy (Zero Janvier) has won it all. Johnny is betrayed by his ally (Sadia).
All this could add a lot to their FD.
And as I said, Starmania's music is french, the lyrics are canadians!!! And they should use one of the good version, not that craptacular version. Bruno Pelletier has a good one, Norman Groulx another one. Both canadians.

And IMO they should ask for help with the musical section too, theirs is an horror for those who like me worship Starmania.

starrynight

But so much of ice dance and whether you like a program is very much a product of an individual's own perception. It's very common in relation to programs .. including those that have won world championships.. to have a string of people think the program is the most amazing thing and then others flatly declare it does nothing for them.

For example, I recall a while ago a member called Denis Ten's music choice for SOS an 'abomination', but the version chosen was very famous in Kazakhstan and a very popular song in that country. So, it clearly did a lot for many people and was effective for his audience. Nothing is going to please everyone all of the time. For example, I am in the minority in that I hate the song 'All of Me'.. but it doesn't make programs to it bad. On the flip side, I can watch programs to Phantom of the Opera all day long (but I know others certainly can't).

I think also when teams debut programs they are having to also deal with expectations of the audience. For example, I just went back and re-watched Hubbell/Donohue's FD. I like it 1000 times better this week. I think because the pre-conceived notions of what I expected/wanted to see are gone and I can watch the dance for what it is, without my thoughts being clouded by a heap of other things.

Last edited:

Nmsis

Starmania does resonate too with their "hommage".
It could.
But you know, as much as I do, that several songs of Starmania are hit songs which do work totally independantly of the musical they are part of. Which is why they are still airing on radios and tvs 40 years after the first staging of Starmania.
Les Uns contre les Autres, Le blues du businessman (some may not like Claude Dubois's voice so let's put Celine Dion's and Nicole Croisille's, my fave), Le monde est stone, Besoin d'amour, SOS d'un terrien en détresse stand on their own and most people can't even remember they are part of Starmania when they listen to them.

So using "SOS d'un terrien" en détresse without reference to Starmania is not a big deal.
Would I like to see a Starmania FD once ? Yes.
Do I think W/P are the dancers to do it ? Nope.

sap5

After watching ice dance for so many years, I feel like what the lyrics say, who the singer is, etc., ultimately doesn’t matter— the only thing that matters is whether the dancers can sell whatever their believing. If they can do that successfully, the audience will rationalize and make up all kinds of explanations for why the program makes total sense.

clairecloutier

So far this season, I haven’t been able to watch as much dance as I would like, hopefully that changes heading toward the GP.

From what I have seen, two things. 1. I am generally liking and enjoying the tango RDs much more than I expected (tango music isn’t my favorite). 2. I am generally liking the FDs less than I expected. Once again, we seem to have a majority of teams going for the P/C style of pensive, quasi-romantic, midtempo programs set to contemporary music (sometimes classical). I know there are some exceptions, but the general trend still holds. I mean, of the 4 main U.S. senior teams we’ve seen so far (H/D, M/C, P/P, C/P), ALL of them have programs that I would consider to be in this genre. Ugh! I feel like I’m really going to miss even the variety of the Shibs’ Coldplay and H/D’s blues last season. Ready for this trend to be over!
:soapbox::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information