The 2nd annual "what music would you suggest to skaters that has not been overused or used (lately) in competition? thread

eusebius

Tchaikovsky Symphony #4. I can't believe I've never heard anyone use this for figure skating in the 30 years I've been watching!

Scrufflet

I suspect that a few will be skating to music from "A Star is Born" and that we will all hate it by the end of the season. My question is who do people think could actually do a good job of it?

RoseRed

I suspect that a few will be skating to music from "A Star is Born" and that we will all hate it by the end of the season. My question is who do people think could actually do a good job of it?
I think Alibi could be a good fit for Samarin's style.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't think The Red Violin has been used much after Kwan skated to it in 2000.

Same with Lyra Angelica and Taj Mahal.

NAOTMAA

I don't think The Red Violin has been used much after Kwan skated to it in 2000.

Same with Lyra Angelica and Taj Mahal.

I've never seen a Lyra Angelica or Taj Mahal from anybody other then Michelle. Are there any others?

As for Red Violin I remember a rather meh one from Amber Glen and a dreadful one from Yoshie Onda (what Josée was thinking I'll never know). There probably are some others but those two stick out to me.

As for musical choices that haven't been used much I don't think I've seen many Petrushka programs either besides one from Ilia Klimkin way back. That would be entertaining. I think Lu Chen might have been the only one to skate to The Last Emperor?

Last edited:

Orm Irian

As for Red Violin I remember a rather meh one from Amber Glen and a dreadful one from Yoshie Onda (what Josée was thinking I'll never know). There probably are some others but those two stick out to me.

Never mind the Red Violin, has anyone ever skated to the Red Shoes?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
As for musical choices that haven't been used much I don't think I've seen many Petrushka programs either besides one from Ilia Klimkin way back. That would be entertaining.
Oh yesss, gimme "Petrushka"! Or "Le Sacre du Printemps". Stravinsky all the way!
The "Petrushka" Klimkin used, was not the original Stravinsky one, but some other music with the same title.

eurodance2001

I've never seen a Lyra Angelica or Taj Mahal from anybody other then Michelle. Are there any others?

As for musical choices that haven't been used much I don't think I've seen many Petrushka programs either besides one from Ilia Klimkin way back. That would be entertaining. I think Lu Chen might have been the only one to skate to The Last Emperor?

Ashley Wagner skated her 2012 SP to the Red Violin. Choreographed by Phillip Mills.

NAOTMAA

Oh yesss, gimme "Petrushka"! Or "Le Sacre du Printemps". Stravinsky all the way!
The "Petrushka" Klimkin used, was not the original Stravinsky one, but some other music with the same title.

It's been a while since i've heard it in it's entirety and I wasn't sure but I knew it sounded off! I kept saying to myself this doesn't sound like the Stravinsky but I trusted the title given anyway :lol:

I think the only Stravinsky that ever gets used these days is Firebird. He's done a lot more then that! The same is true for every other composer as well.

mjb52

I mentioned elsewhere how much I love Shevchenko/Eremenko's program this year and I'd love to see more selections like Lijo (by Alina Orlova) particularly, although I like all the other selections in that program too.

Has anyone ever skated to music from Raise the Red Lantern? That is such a good movie. I also really like the Schubert selections in the original silent Phantom of the Opera, most particularly the Andante con Moto. And maybe Smetana's Moldau. Sorry if these are not actually under-used, there are so many programs it is hard to keep track! ok, I just did a search and it looks like Moldau has been suggested a few times on here in the last few years but I don't think it's been taken up on yet!

Last edited:

giselle23

Ashley Wagner also skated to Red Violin for her SP a few years ago. The Satie piece that Michelle used with Lyra has also been used--Kaori Sakamoto's short this year used it and Pooja Kahlen used it last season. I don't think anyone is going to use Lyra again. It is too associated with Michelle and is all about artistic interpretation, something that is not valued that much in the current system.

giselle23

It's been a while since i've heard it in it's entirety and I wasn't sure but I knew it sounded off! I kept saying to myself this doesn't sound like the Stravinsky but I trusted the title given anyway :lol:

I think the only Stravinsky that ever gets used these days is Firebird. He's done a lot more then that! The same is true for every other composer as well.

Nathan used The Rite of Spring for part of his program last year.

coppertop1

The ballet "Sylvia". Emily Hughes skated to it. So did the Chinese skater Geng Bingwa. Other than that, I don't think it's been overused.

Orm Irian

The ballet "Sylvia". Emily Hughes skated to it. So did the Chinese skater Geng Bingwa. Other than that, I don't think it's been overused.

The Sorcerer's Dance from Sylvia would certainly be striking! So would the Valse de la Cigarette from Namouna.

ldec

A few more additions

Classical:

A. Dvorak - Slavonic Dances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4poPlPxzO9E

G. Holst - The Planets, any planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs&t

F. Mendelssohn - The Hebrides - Overture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MiETaBSnc

Anything by the magnificent but largely unknown bulgarian composer Pancho Vladigerov; I don't think this is ever going to happen in our lifetime though. These two pieces are my favorite:

Vardar Rhapsody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGIIXyfM-s
Symphonic dances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouzmic38vOw

Others:

A. Carlos Jobim - Children's Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHmtdYcdMbQ

Shigeo Sekito - The World II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8oS_B6IaKE (this one is quite slow but I think a skater with very good basics and strong interpretation skills can make it work)

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (both this version and the piano one are marvellous). Miki Ando skated to it in 2006.

Casiopea - Tears of the Star: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rkDmOwUzR4

Firebird has got to be the most suberb ballet ever written but I am yet to see a good program to it. A good performance would require an astonishing level of emotional engagement and expressiveness from the skater in addition to great musicality.

mattiecat13

Heard Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) yesterday and immediately thought of Papadakis/Cizeron. Would be a departure from their usual lyrical style and I think they could really do a great job with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information