Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir #48: Long Time Running

Judy

I don’t remember any criticism like this when Tessa was doing her jewelry line and promoting it on TV, or her dove campaign.

This is ridiculous, bizarre and incredibly off putting,

Both of you are dangerously close to bashing, bringing up Tessa’s weight is one example,

I have been so irritated in the past with the irrationality of Ubers in this thread, but this is beginning to making me very angry. So much so that I’m starting to think about leaving this thread behind.

The ignore feature will probably not be enough for me.

Oh don’t. Most of us are rational lol.

ximianKernel

Right now, V/M are in a flux. The life that they known for almost 20 years are behind them. Just think about it, ever since they moved to Kitchener-Waterloo, they were doing the same thing year after year. They had a goal which was to be competitive ice skaters and their whole life revolved around that. Yes, they have other goals but either they placed them on hold or put in less priority over their desire to be competitive ice skaters.
But now, they are faced with the idea that familiar routine that they been doing since they were kids will not be there anymore. That can be downright scary and daunting.

If you actually listened to Tessa on what you regard as a "housewife show", she actually expressed that. For years, their life was pretty regimented, competitive ice skating is cyclical, so she knows what needs to be done or has to happen at a certain point of the year. So there is that comfort in knowing. It almost similar to graduating in High school, for years life revolves in waking up, going to school, homework, classmates etc. Then suddenly you graduate high school and that familiar cyclical activity is not there anymore. You are faced with figuring out what to do next. The only difference Scott and Tess equivalent to them "graduating in high school" came when they are in their late 20s/early 30s

Tessa mentioned that in the show Your Morning, changing careers can be scary at the same time fun. So she is more than willing to say yes to every potential opportunities that comes her way. She is figuring what life/career beyond ice skating. And she is aware ( and by extension Scott also) that their post competitive ice skating career will not necessarily involve the other person. Yes, they probably will do ice shows and TED talks together but those are career moves that eventually have an expiry date.

On that facebook live video, when she was asked "do you think you will get the bug after spending time here in the studio?", her answer in the very typical measured Tessa's answer, you can see she just trying it out if this was something she will be interested in doing. Daresay, her answer is not even as enthusiastic I would have expected if she really was solid in pursuing this career route.

I like to think Tessa is getting a lot of flack because her "career moves" tend to be more public and in the spotlight. Added that she is more active in social media, so people knows more about what she is doing over Scott. And people perceive that Tessa is now "dumping" Scott. Which is a ridiculous notion. Who knows if Scott career moves where more behind the scene, like exploring to be a coach or paving that path to follow his brothers and be a fireman

Last edited:

KatieC

Tessa and Scott skated wonderfully at the Olympics. They are (and always have been) entitled to do whatever they want with their lives and we have been quite fortunate that for a long time they wanted to skate and we got to see it. I wish them both well in whatever they choose to do, and recognize it's none of my business what their choices are.

Golden1

I found this
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1nAJERROYVYxL

However, scrubbing through that video, you are not missing much since the three clips available on youtube (the opening segment, the cooking segment and the fashion segment) were the only ones Tessa was on camera. The only one that is missing is the closing segment where the host pretty much thanked her for spending time with them and Tessa mentioning that Scott texted her words of encouragement

plus this Facebook live chat (not shown on TV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdFXxURLr-8

and the Panel discussion about snacking in the movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM-oLQfhfoI
Thank you very much for the links and information about Tessa's segments.

D

Deleted member 74551

Someone pointed out, that one of Tessa's earring was precariously loose at the end of their FD program. I can't help thinking they been performing midway with that earring just hanging on. That would have been a 1 point deduction if it fell off the ice

https://i.imgur.com/0XwuxoS.jpg

The horror! I didn’t notice this at the time but that earring is holding on by a thread. Thank goodness it didn’t fall and cost them the title :eek: The skating gods were looking out for them that day for sure.

Judy

The horror! I didn’t notice this at the time but that earring is holding on by a thread. Thank goodness it didn’t fall and cost them the title :eek: The skating gods were looking out for them that day for sure.

Well the chances of it being noticed would be next to none. Considering the difficulty in lifts it is amazing anything stays on.

Judy

Tessa and Scott skated wonderfully at the Olympics. They are (and always have been) entitled to do whatever they want with their lives and we have been quite fortunate that for a long time they wanted to skate and we got to see it. I wish them both well in whatever they choose to do, and recognize it's none of my business what their choices are.

Yes - like us! We have the freedom to do what WE want with our lives too lol. Why should it be different for them? Um no it isn’t.

Sonata

I think some comments here just go to show why Tessa is part of the empowerment campaign with Dove.

There are very, very few people criticizing her. Let’s not make this the theme of the thread.

Personally, they’ve always made me feel inspired after watching their Olympic programs. I’m not a skater, but after watching their 2010 and 2018 wins, I felt this feeling of, “I can do anything!”
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhwIRUDFud0/?hl=en&taken-by=tessavirtue17

Judy

I think some comments here just go to show why Tessa is part of the empowerment campaign with Dove.

There are very, very few people criticizing her. Let’s not make this the theme of the thread.

Personally, they’ve always made me feel inspired after watching their Olympic programs. I’m not a skater, but after watching their 2010 and 2018 wins, I felt this feeling of, “I can do anything!”
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhwIRUDFud0/?hl=en&taken-by=tessavirtue17

Well said.

Excidra

Maybe some people is more then this?
I can't imaging Gaby Papadakiz will be doing something like this. But you will tell - we didn't know, what will happened after PC will win OF and 7 WCh, so I agree, will wait and see.

You'e comparing two different people with
Different goals. Tessa will do what is best for her and others the same. I know we love them together, but it is time for us to move on. Their competitive career has ended and they no longer have to spend every waking moment together. It must be nice to experience a new normal for the both of them.

Twilight1

Omg haven’t heard her voice in soooo long. Another great point. Not easy to find your path after so many years focussing on one thing. Whatever they decide they’ll be just fine.

Exactly. The most important thing is they are happy.

dramagrrl

If people don't think V&M created fake art on ice, you are fooling yourselves. They perfected the art of taking characters to the ice. Moulin Rouge is the very epitome of it. The glitz, the glamour, the off ice photo shoots, the photo ops, the shmoozing. It is all fake made to look real.

Tessa AND Scott did that for 2 decades. If you can't recognize the fakeness of their art and actually bought into the characters... that is just silly.

I have to comment on this because even though I am totally fine with whatever Tessa decides to do with her life (unless she goes way overboard and becomes a Karadashian type, which I very strongly doubt would ever happen), I think there is a definite difference between someone being "fake" (or perceived as fake) when they are going on TV or doing other media appearance as themselves, and people playing characters as a form of art. I used to be a theatre actor and am still very involved with theatre and the idea of someone comparing, say, me playing Lady Macbeth to some person on so-called "reality" TV show pretending they are their authentic self when they are clearly putting on a set personality for the cameras is rather insulting. When V&M skated MR, they were playing the roles of Satine and Christian and putting the drama of those characters and their story into ice dance. When Tessa appears on CTV morning shows, she is putting herself on TV as Tessa Virtue, not as a character, "fake" or real. If people perceive her as fake when she does that, it is a completely different thing from not recognizing the "fakeness of their art" - which I would actually say was very authentic and wouldn't use the word "fake" at all.

As for @pani saying that she doesn't think Gabi Papadakis would ever do something like this, I wouldn't be so sure. Even after this first Olympics of theirs, she has already started appearing in photo shoots and in television appearances more made up, etc., to the point where several posters on their thread have said things like, "Wow, she should travel with a makeup artist!" or "She should be a model!" etc. Yes, her appearances have almost all been directly skating-related so far, but she hasn't been sitting in a closet (or a classroom, or coaching in a rink) since the Olys, either.

Twilight1

I was commenting on the irony of people thinking on ice was real and off ice was fake.

I am well aware of the difference between the two but commented on others NOT knowing ;)

forthewin

I think some fans are just lashing out irrationally because things are really ending. People are very invested emotionally in V/M and when a wonderful thing ends, people take it personally. Somehow I understand that. But the truth is the partnership of V/M is just getting to a new phase. And it's natural. We should look forward to how the future unfolds. It might be even better, you know?

Alexandria

You'e comparing two different people with
Different goals. Tessa will do what is best for her and others the same. I know we love them together, but it is time for us to move on. Their competitive career has ended and they no longer have to spend every waking moment together. It must be nice to experience a new normal for the both of them.

This is all true, but also, they've basically still been together since the Olympics - in Montreal working on programs, in Japan touring, in Toronto doing press and events, now in Calgary doing another event together, then back on the road for CSOI, then back to Japan, to Korea, to Europe for gold medal plates, etc. It's not even true at all to say they've gone separate ways even a little bit, even though that should be fine were it what they wanted. This is basically an insane overreaction to Tessa doing what amounts to a few days of press and photoshoots on her own and daring to instagram story them.

Even if they were married with 2 (or 3? I've lost count) secret kids in the basement, it would still be totally normal to have different careers. That is the way basically everyone lives life even with those they love the most.

Japanfan

Bourne and Kraatz totally went their separate ways after their competitive careers, with Bourne transitioning to a successful single show skater. Kraatz married and IIRC was/is coaching?

I don't remember a whole lot of :argue: about it. I am really not seeing what anyone has an issue with what V/M are doing.

They will probably skate in shows for as long as they can get paid for it, and move on with their lives. I don't see what the issue is here.

IMO, V/M are a national treasure. I wish them both all the best in their future endeavors!

dramagrrl

Bourne and Kraatz totally went their separate ways after their competitive careers, with Bourne transitioning to a successful single show skater. Kraatz married and IIRC was/is coaching?

I don't remember a whole lot of :argue: about it.
B&K aren't the best example for this kind of thing. Their split was actually pretty acrimonious because Victor decided less than a year after they won their world title that he didn't want to skate professionally/in shows and Shae-Lynn told the media she was shocked with his decision. Apparently she had been under the impression that they had a (verbal, non-contractual) deal wherein if she agreed to skate competitively for an extra season after the 2002 Olympics because Victor wanted one last try at a world title (even though she was ready to retire from competition), he would then be okay with skating in shows and making money touring for at least a few years. They really didn't reconcile as friends until they were inducted into the Canadian Skating Hall of Fame several years later.

Shae really wanted to keeping skating, at least in shows, and attempted to form a partnership with Peter Tchernyshev (they were even on the cover of the now-defunct Blades on Ice magazine as a new dance team). At first, they said their goal was to compete in the 2006 Olympics and Tchernyshev would pursue Canadian citizenship, but then he changed his mind and would not even commit to show skating for more than a year, so the partnership dissolved before anyone ever saw them skate together publicly. She then decided to try doing solo ice dancing in shows.

Victor married, had kids, coached some junior and senior Canadian dance teams for awhile, and was teaching skating skills to NHL and OHL hockey players as well. Not sure if he's still coaching - if he is, he definitely hasn't had a team of any renown in the higher levels in the last several years AFAIK.

ngcskate

Wow...don't check in for a few days and look what happens!

Pretty sure Scott hates the media and only participates when he has to. Also pretty sure talk shows with a (mostly) female viewer base are not ones he wants to voluntarily appear on...all day...He knows media is a necessary evil, but this was a fun thing, not promotion for V/M or a joint project.

Did anyone ever think that some of Tessa's media might be in relation to her sponsorships (Nivea, etc)?

Also pretty sure Scott is thisclose to clueless about social media. Because he doesn't care about it.

All the comments about their new ex. are interesting. As a long time fan, I've always thought their exhibitions were among the weakest of their dances. It's only recently, they've become more interesting. I don't think they even thought about MJ being accused of anything, they liked the music and wanted to use it. That's it. Or they are trying to tell us that they rock each others world (JK!)

Japanfan

B&K aren't the best example for this kind of thing.

Okay, I was obviously unaware of everything you posted. Thanks for the information.

Victor married, had kids, coached some junior and senior Canadian dance teams for awhile, and was teaching skating skills to NHL and OHL hockey players as well. Not sure if he's still coaching - if he is, he definitely hasn't had a team of any renown in the higher levels in the last several years AFAIK.

Well, every acorn does not become an oak, like the D/L skating school. Hopefully Victor is happy with his life.

ngcskate

I'm wondering what people expect Scott to endorse? He's done the insurance commercial and the car ones (which I think are only Ontario, although I've never seen them on TV). I know Kurt did Diet Coke and now, reverse mortgages. But really, what is out there for male figure skaters to endorse? In reality, if there is anything, it would be in tandem with Tessa. Which leads to the question, what is out there for an ice dance team to endorse?

clarie

I'll jump in and say that this is "Canada" not the U.S. where the opportunities are more plentiful. I'd say to Tessa (and Scott)....take what you can, do what you like, and try new things, as well as performing as a team as those opportunities arise.

Judy

B&K aren't the best example for this kind of thing. Their split was actually pretty acrimonious because Victor decided less than a year after they won their world title that he didn't want to skate professionally/in shows and Shae-Lynn told the media she was shocked with his decision. Apparently she had been under the impression that they had a (verbal, non-contractual) deal wherein if she agreed to skate competitively for an extra season after the 2002 Olympics because Victor wanted one last try at a world title (even though she was ready to retire from competition), he would then be okay with skating in shows and making money touring for at least a few years. They really didn't reconcile as friends until they were inducted into the Canadian Skating Hall of Fame several years later.

Shae really wanted to keeping skating, at least in shows, and attempted to form a partnership with Peter Tchernyshev (they were even on the cover of the now-defunct Blades on Ice magazine as a new dance team). At first, they said their goal was to compete in the 2006 Olympics and Tchernyshev would pursue Canadian citizenship, but then he changed his mind and would not even commit to show skating for more than a year, so the partnership dissolved before anyone ever saw them skate together publicly. She then decided to try doing solo ice dancing in shows.

Victor is involved with hockey from looking at his twitter. He has 2 kids and Shae has one. They made up with each other quite a while ago.

pani

I'm wondering what people expect Scott to endorse? He's done the insurance commercial and the car ones (which I think are only Ontario, although I've never seen them on TV). I know Kurt did Diet Coke and now, reverse mortgages. But really, what is out there for male figure skaters to endorse? In reality, if there is anything, it would be in tandem with Tessa. Which leads to the question, what is out there for an ice dance team to endorse?
More opportunity for woman, who played hockey, then for man, who is ice dancer and got more golds at OG, then other figure skaters?

ximianKernel

Athletic shoes and wear like Adidas, Nike or Reebok
Fitbit or brand of watches
new car/truck models, not just car dealers.

But I think he is more into supporting local/regional communities.

Golden1

Hopefully this includes shows in central Europe!

Ok, I'll be superficial for a moment: Looking at the pictures of Scott at his niece's school and the ice show, I just wonder about his hair! Why?? He looked so good in Korea and now he is back at helmet hair.:yikes:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information