Terrorist attack in Christchurch, New Zealand

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
This is developing right now. A horrible situation.

At least three gunmen went inside two mosques in Christchurch during prayers and opened fire. One of the terrorists was live-streaming. He is believed to be a white Australian man.

One man is in custody. Initial reports suggest at least 27 deaths, maybe more. The New Zealand Police have been unable to confirm details yet as at least one shooter is still at large and they are trying to find him. There have also been reports of shots fired at the Christchurch Hospital.

One of the shooters posted a highly racist manifesto prior to the shooting that referred to Muslims as "invaders" who were "enslaving European people". This was the same shooter who was live streaming. Be careful on social media as the video has been reposted in many different places.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nati...hots-fired-at-mosques-in-central-christchurch

skatfan

I just this in the news here in the US. Horrific - sending prayers for all!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Updates:

- Four are now in custody - three men and a woman. However, police are concerned there are more offenders.

- Police found IEDs in the vehicles used.

- All schools and hospitals in Christchurch are in lockdown.

- Emergency services are reminding people to only call 111 in an emergency.

- the third cricket Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh, which was due to start tomorrow at Christchurch's Hagley Oval, has been cancelled. Members of the Bangladesh team were among those at one of the mosques. They are all confirmed safe.

- Prime Minister Arden has convened New Zealand's highest security councils.

- Experts are now saying that they believe the terrorists may have been planning this for up to two years.

EDIT:

- It's just been announced the school lockdown has been lifted.

- New Zealand Cricket has said they are helping make immediate arrangements to get the Bangladesh team home to their families.

Lorac

So sad and heartbroken for all those impacted by this horrendous and cowardly attack. New Zealand always struck me as a peaceful place to live and I guess I assumed that this sort of hatred just didn't exist there. :(

skatesindreams

The alleged leader of this horror avowed "White Supremacy", as part of a manifesto he posted.
My prayers and support to all those affected by the tragedy.

TygerLily

I saw the initial reports about this before bed last night, and these numbers are so much worse than I’d hoped. I’m so sad that so many have died. And horrified that so many were involved. Sickening.

MsZem

I see the sea
I saw the initial reports about this before bed last night, and these numbers are so much worse than I’d hoped. I’m so sad that so many have died. And horrified that so many were involved. Sickening.
It's hard just seeing the numbers. Soon we will learn who they were, what lives they lived and who they left behind, and it will be even sadder. I'm heartbroken for the families and friends who lost their loved one in such an ugly, senseless way.

Jacinda Ardern may have been speaking only about New Zealanders when she said those affected '"are us", but I think the broader point is also true. The terrorists who turn on those they see as other have no place in any society.

Debrah

Horrific news; thoughts are with those affected by this monstrous act of violence...

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I haven't read the manifesto but friends' discussions on social media say the manifesto said he did in NZ so that there would be no safe place and to show that immigration has reached there too and that it mentioned Jews as masterminding immigration. He is anti-immigration, you see.

Horrible loss of life.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The Atlantic analyzed the manifesto and has an article with excerpts. They noted it is not really a manifesto of beliefs, as is often left behind after these incidents. It is a writing full of trolling directed at journalists and social media designed for maximum attention seeking and notoriety.

ballettmaus

He murdered 49 innocent people. I do not need to know about his f*cking “manifesto” and have it spread by a complicit media that will do anything for clicks.

If he really claims Trump as a role model then I think it's important to know because there are still so many who claim that what he and others like him say are just words and don't make a difference.

But regardless of their motivation, this is just horrible. I'll never understand why there are people who just can't leave others be. The victims weren't doing anything other than live their life in peace. Why not let them? :(

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Terrible situation. New Zealand prides itself on it's tolerance and acceptance. Does a much better job of it than Australia does. Our politicians (most notably Pauline Hanson and Fraser Anning) and a number of right wing social commentators do have a degree of responsibility in this. They make hatred acceptable to nutjobs like this guy.

floridaice

I spent two weeks in NZ in 2001 and have relatives in Auckland. Loved the people so much, horrible that this has happened. I know what Orlando has gone thru since the Pulse attack and South Florida since Parkland -- it will stay with people for the rest of their lives. I have hope that the people and politicians in NZ will respond in a much more positive way that many here have.

nimi

Our politicians (most notably Pauline Hanson and Fraser Anning) and a number of right wing social commentators do have a degree of responsibility in this. They make hatred acceptable to nutjobs like this guy.
Just saw that Anning is trending on twitter because he got egged and the teen who did it has been released without a charge. I don't follow Australian politics closely but based on the stuff I've read about Anning, he sounds like the kind of bad faith troll and opportunistic bigot you simply can't reason with... And of course similar politicians and demagogues exist in a number of European countries and in the US as well. Remember how only few months ago, there was the horrible Pittsburgh synagogue attack by a far-right gunman who said he was freaked out by the migrant caravan and "border crisis" that Trump & co kept yelling about and who apparently believed in the anti-semitic conspiracy theories about how Soros is supposedly funding those "invaders"? So no, it's not just Australia...

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Anning got into the Senate based on being on the One Nation ticket. When one member lost his seat, Anning was shuttled in. He was dumped by One Nation because he disagree with Pauline Hanson. The joined Bob Katter's party. Basically the guy only got 19 votes at the election but because of the preferential system got into the Senate. He is now without any party so more than likely he won't get re-elected at the next election.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information