Stars on Ice U.S. 2018

VGThuy

Also D/W really know how to perform. Watching them live makes you realize that ice dance could certainly use a team like that competing right now. Don’t get me wrong, I have loved the past four years in ice dance more than any other cycle I’ve been a skating fan, but they do bring something different. AND I know Meryl gets all the attention but I really seriously believe Charlie is the star of that pairing. He’s the backbone, support, and really moves and skates all out and gives it his all.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
My goodness, I haven't heard from/about Lorrie for ages!
Back when RSSIF was still around, I once consulted her about some beginner translation problems I ran into, and she was very nice and patient in her explanations even though I was a random fellow skating poster at the time.

If she happens to be lurking/visiting here, I want to take the opportunity to tell her I appreciate her insight in skating/translation/everything else.

aznchica

Found some amazing videos of the "Shape of You" performance. It's the one I'm looking most forward to seeing live next month.

This one focuses on Nathan/Ashley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ8eMXpMpK8

This one focuses on Meryl/Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhS7ML55D9U

This one focuses on Madison/Zach
https://vimeo.com/263967488

I know sometimes arenas don't like videos to be taken because it takes away from people actually going to shows. However for me such as in this case, these videos are what got me WANTING to go to a show live! Big thank you to those who have recorded these videos!

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Also D/W really know how to perform. Watching them live makes you realize that ice dance could certainly use a team like that competing right now. Don’t get me wrong, I have loved the past four years in ice dance more than any other cycle I’ve been a skating fan, but they do bring something different. AND I know Meryl gets all the attention but I really seriously believe Charlie is the star of that pairing. He’s the backbone, support, and really moves and skates all out and gives it his all.

Can I say that I am happy to see this post from someone who follows Ice Dance more closely, and knows more, than I do? I was soooooooooo impressed by Charlie, by his skating skills, by his interaction with Meryl, and by his interaction with the audience. I thought maybe it was because I didn't know so much about ID, and I'm glad to see otherwise.

I have heard a few rumblings, oh, why Davis & White, they're old news. Not for me. As far as I'm concerned, I'll go see any show they're performing in.:)

If they're performing in a show with Jason, I may even travel more than four miles:D

Firedancer

I went to the Hartford show tonight. For anyone still considering/unsure about going, definitely go. It was a great show. My stand outs were Nathan, Adam, Jason and Meryl and Charlie. I found Nathan drew my attention in group numbers and I really loved both of his individual programs. Jason and Adam both excel in this format. The quality of Jason’s skating is always evident and he looks like he is having as much fun as anyone there. Adam’s Remedy is beautiful. I love Travis’s choreography and it is a great fit for Adam. Everything about Meryl and Charlie’s skating looks professional.

Ashley’s La La Land was beautiful. She had a random fall but she has a performance quality the other US ladies do not have.

sk9tingfan

I went to the Hartford show tonight. For anyone still considering/unsure about going, definitely go. It was a great show. My stand outs were Nathan, Adam, Jason and Meryl and Charlie. I found Nathan drew my attention in group numbers and I really loved both of his individual programs. Jason and Adam both excel in this format. The quality of Jason’s skating is always evident and he looks like he is having as much fun as anyone there. Adam’s Remedy is beautiful. I love Travis’s choreography and it is a great fit for Adam. Everything about Meryl and Charlie’s skating looks professional.

Ashley’s La La Land was beautiful. She had a random fall but she has a performance quality the other US ladies do not have.

ITA. I thought that the show was very well choreographed and organized. Also, there was far less "Olympics/Worlds fatigue among the skaters than I had anticipated with a high degree of technical content. I was really pleasantly surprised and very glad that I went. Although Adam really skated flawlessly, by the final number, he looked like he was ready to drop. I hope he gets some well deserved rest before he had to go down to NYC for The Time Magazine Most Influential People,

Nathan was really stupendous, freed from competition expectations. I think that this tour is already having beneficial effects on Bradie Tennell and that her performance is improving markedly.

VGThuy

I found Nathan to be such a natural dancer and I too kept looking at him in the group performances. I think Karen clearly has great skating skills and the making of an excellent performer. She just needs a real choreographer, teacher, and mentor (with Kristi) to bring it out in her. Alex is really a showman and he loves playing to the audience and he and Maia both move excellently in the group numbers. However, there is something seriously enchanting about Maia. It's like she's not of this world, if that makes sense. When she performed both the Shibs numbers, the group number with Adam and Alex, and that group number with Madison and Zach, I was absolutely drawn into Maia the whole time. There is something seriously regal and elegant about her that seems out-of-place today in the best way possible.

screech

It seems like Jeffrey Buttle has a death grip on these jobs. Why not try John Kerr? His programs for James/Cipres have spread beyond the skating world. Why not try a choreographer from the dance world, like Art on Ice? Travis Wall might be too busy/expensive but I bet there are many talented people who are affordable and would jump at the chance.
I don't know that I'd say Jeff has a 'death grip'. He's been the show's main choreographer for a few years, yes, but as was mentioned in another post, he has a former ice dancer (who trained at Mariposa when Jeff was there) as his assistant choreographer.

I can absolutely see why he's the choreographer (and now director) of the show, since he's one of the top choreographers in the skating world right now, but it would be interesting to see what someone like Shae Lynn would do (if they want to keep it in the SOI family).

OR they could have different choreographers for the Canadian, US, and Japan shows.

shine

Speaking of which, here's super high quality of the boys' group number: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRU22dQH2U

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain

Yes; she even fell in character.

Seriously, guys; if you can go see this show, go. I don't tend to like these types of shows, and so I haven't seen one live in decades. This one truly doesn't suck. It does have a few too many "I am emoting now" numbers, but otherwise, it's really quite good. Even some of the group numbers. And that's saying a lot for me. Group numbers are often ghastly.

That said, Jason Brown is impressive in person. He jumps HIGH. His split leaps are amazing.

Sylvia

TBD
27 black-and-white photos by Taylor Ballantyne (4/21 Long Island show, I assume) published by Sports Illustrated: https://www.si.com/olympic-figure-skating/photo/2018/04/23/stars-ice

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize when I posted that most of the photos are of Adam but there are photos of other SOI skaters on practice ice and/or backstage, too (Ashley, Nathan, Mirai, Bradie, Karen, Madison, Meryl, Charlie, Maia & Alex).

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
27 black-and-white photos by Taylor Ballantyne (4/21 Long Island show, I assume) published by Sports Illustrated: https://www.si.com/olympic-figure-skating/photo/2018/04/23/stars-ice

Thank you for the link, @Sylvia .... In case anyone else clicks, I assume that, given that 3/4 of the photos are of Adam, that Taylor Ballantyne is doing a story on Adam Rippon. And maybe Jason or Zach weren't at that show or practice, :Dbecause if there are any shots including them (other than distance group numbers), I missed them

Taylor of course has the right to take photos of whom he or she wants, just in case anyone else was looking for Jason or Zach pics;)

nimi

Laura4

Three pics and a video clip of Davis and White (Elastic Heart):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7h8aPlGH8/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip of Nathan Chen (Nemesis):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7iQ9UFHW8/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip and two pics of Shibs (Paradise):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7iv6IF7Hq/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip and pics of Nathan Chen (Nemesis):

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7qux-lNhy/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip and pics of Men's Group Number:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7rXsileuk/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip - Shape Of You Ensemble:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7rnxHFtKx/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip and pics - Shape Of You Ensemble:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7sPCllXQz/?taken-by=minsookay

Video Clip - You Will Be Found:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh7st_3FkEw/?taken-by=minsookay

Doubletoe

A little late to the party here, but does anyone know why the Knierims aren't in the show? Seeing as it's all U.S. Olympic skaters and they were our only pair team this year. . . Did they need a break due to injury?

Debbie S

A little late to the party here, but does anyone know why the Knierims aren't in the show? Seeing as it's all U.S. Olympic skaters and they were our only pair team this year. . . Did they need a break due to injury?
SOI hasn't had a pair team in years. It's too bad, I think a pairs team would be a good addition to.the show, but since the Knierims haven't medaled at Worlds or Olys (other than team), they are likely not high on the list to be invited. SOI seems to have a more stringent limit on the number of teams than they do for singles skaters. And being represented by IMG is a factor...if the Knierims aren't, that automatically lowers their chances of being on the tour.

Doubletoe

SOI hasn't had a pair team in years. It's too bad, I think a pairs team would be a good addition to.the show, but since the Knierims haven't medaled at Worlds or Olys (other than team), they are likely not high on the list to be invited. SOI seems to have a more stringent limit on the number of teams than they do for singles skaters. And being represented by IMG is a factor...if the Knierims aren't, that automatically lowers their chances of being on the tour.
Karen also only medaled in the team event, though, and only 2 of the 3 U.S. ladies on this year's Olympic team medaled in the team event, but all 3 are in SOI. Bradie may be the reigning U.S. champion, but so are the Knierims. So who is and isn't represented by IMG, and does anyone know for sure that the Knierims weren't offered a spot?

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Karen also only medaled in the team event, though, and only 2 of the 3 U.S. ladies on this year's Olympic team medaled in the team event, but all 3 are in SOI. Bradie may be the reigning U.S. champion, but so are the Knierims. So who is and isn't represented by IMG, and does anyone know for sure that the Knierims weren't offered a spot?

I dont know if the Knierims were offered a spot, although at one point Chris was “liking” tweet (s) that SOI should have pairs. I would have loved to have seen a pair.

As for representation, Jason is represented by Jerry Solomon, not IMG. I had heard that Ashley is not represented by IMG. I don't think, but JMO, it’s a representation issue.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Karen also only medaled in the team event, though
No, she didn't participate in the team event (it was Bradie SP & Mirai FS).

Castelli/Shnapir, the 2014 Olympic USA team event bronze medalists, got a couple(?) of SOI dates four years ago (without agent representation, IIRC) and I was hoping the Knierims would get a couple of guest spots too, but nope. They are represented by Achilles PR in Washington, DC.

ETA:
As for representation, Jason is represented by Jerry Solomon, not IMG. I had heard that Ashley is not represented by IMG.
Yes, Jason is represented by Jerry Solomon of StarGames, and Ashley is repped by CAA in Los Angeles. Everyone else on the U.S. tour has IMG representation, though Adam is now with WME, of which IMG is a subsidiary.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

Props to Alexa for a gracious response to fans who have been calling for a boycott because there are no pair skaters -
alexa_knierim
Thank you guys for loving Chris and I! But missing the show, because of us, would mean you’d miss out on seeing some of my awesome friends perform! And they’ve got the goods! I’d hate for you to miss out on being inspired because we aren’t there!
I think if they'd been asked but declined, she'd have said so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information