Shooting in Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas

once_upon

Better off than 2020
How about our politicians actually fund mental health facilities and provide adequate healthcare insurance coverage? Read a plan lately? 50% copay after deductible and limited inpatient care and or outpatient care facility. If drugs or alcohol rehab is needed, bye bye.

As for locking up dangerous mentally ill for heinous crimes? My dad (in the late 50's) sat on a murder trial. They jury was split on murder by reason of insanity vs murder and the various sentences. They decided on reason of insanity being assured he would be locked up for life. Yep you got it, he was released when the government closed facilities. At the time of conviction he threatened every single juror and their families that he would kill them. He succeeded in one case.

Unless you and your politicians want to fund care/treatment centers, they will be released. Gun control is essential.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Ok...sorry I was not clear. I would not have let the dangerous mentally ill out of psychiatric facilities. I would have budgeted for and built adequate and secure facilities back then and continuing forward.

One of the government's primary jobs is the safety of its citizens. Here they failed multiple times.

That man should never have been allowed to roam the street.

D

Deleted member 1204

Where we differ is that I don't think the laws are going to keep a maniac who is bent on destruction from finding the tools he needs to do what he wants.
I think you're a smarter and stronger person than to use the "it probably won't matter so why bother trying" argument.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I think you're a smarter and stronger person than to use the "it probably won't matter so why bother trying" argument.

Thanks. It is not that gun laws won't matter, it is that in this case, the laws did not help.
I just think that in the case of a violent maniac, gun laws are not the answer. After all he got those guns legally.

A violent mentally ill person who wants to destroy is going to...with a gun, a truck, a bomb.
That problem needs to get fixed. This guy went on a rampage. There were signals all over the place, and yet no one acted. And thank goodness we have actual heroes who went and shot the bad guy, disabling him, and eventually stopping further death and his escape.

Mental Health professionals should be able to contact the authorities about violent mentally ill people. So should parents. These people should then be put in a mental health locked down facility, evaluated, treated, and helped.............but not released. Not when they have murdered, maimed or severely injured.

As to gun control..........I see no reason for ANYONE to have a semi or fully automatic weapon (except law enforcement). Period. Gun shows should be required to do background checks. There should be ONE data base.

skatingguy

decently
As to gun control..........I see no reason for ANYONE to have a semi or fully automatic weapon (except law enforcement). Period. Gun shows should be required to do background checks. There should be ONE data base.
overhead_clap.gif

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just think that in the case of a violent maniac, gun laws are not the answer. After all he got those guns legally.
Yes but part of the problem is will to enforce the laws we have. This reminds me quite a bit of how DUI was once handled before it became socially unacceptable to drive while drunk. We had laws then. Not enough. And not uniform enough. But we also had an enforcement problem because people in charge didn't always take the laws that we did have seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information