Senior Ladies' Most Difficult Jumps across Nationals

Tak

At the end of December, delayed and abridged coverage of RUS Nationals were broadcast in JPN. What an impressive Ladies Nationals it was! Congratulations to Scherbakova, Trusova and Kostornaia!
Since we are in middle of Nationals season, I would like to list when and if possible keep record of how many most difficult jumps were executed or tried at each Nationals. Please understand that since TV coverage of non-home country nationals (other than JPN) is only a recent development, I simply lack knowledge of past achievements at RUS, USA, CAN or other Nationals and appreciate it if information could be added. The age ineligible skaters' execution are noted with an asterisk(*).

The triple Axel
At the Worlds level the first one was landed at 1989 Worlds. After three decades only about ten Senior Ladies skaters are credited with this jump internationally.
JPN Nationals: 1st 89 Nationals (1/1 attempted and landed by Midori Ito) Midori repeated this feat 90-92 Nats and 96 Nats. This tradition was maintained by Yukari Nakano and Mao Asada at the JPN Nationals, 03-14. In 19 Nationals, Kihira and Hosoda revived this tradition.
Most attempts Six: 03 Nationals (3/1 Nakano, 1/0 Onda, 1/0* Mai, 1/1ur* Mao); 19 Nats (3/3 Hosoda, 3/2 Kihira)
USA Nationals: 1st 91 Nationals (1/1 Harding), Kimmie (at Nationals only) and Nagasu (credited internationally) has landed this jump. Any information will be welcomed
RUS Nationals: Nelidina (02 Skate Am) and Tukt are credited with this jump. Any information will be welcomed.

Quads
There has not been any quads landed at Senior Ladies Worlds or Olympics. However at the Junior level. Miki Ando has been credited with 4Sal (02 JGPF?). Recently RUS Junior skaters are landing quad toe loops and Lutzes.
JPN Nationals: 1st 04 Nationals (1/1 4Sal Miki Ando. first year of senior eligibility) No other attempts are recorded.
RUS Nationals: 1st? Most attempts? Three (1/1* 4Lz Scherbakova, 2/1* 4Lz, 4tlp(fall) Trusova)

3Lz/3loop Combination jump
Irina Slutskaya was the first and most proficient in this combination jump. Her majestic one at 05 Worlds is still one of my favorite skating memories.
RUS Nationals: Irina must have done this many times. Any information is welcome. 19 Nats (1/1 SP) Zagitova and (2/2*) Trusova It is noted that many others did 3flip/3lp or 3Sal/3lp (Med).
JPN Nationals: 1st 02 JPN Nationals (1/1ur* Miki Ando)
I was astounded to see this. In 19 Nats, (2/1*) Yuna Aoki nailed one in the SP but failed in LP.

Thank you in advance for kind help.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Surya Bonaly should be somewhere in the mix for attempted quads.

Slutskaya performed two 3/3 combos at the “Super Final” round of the 1999/2000 GP Finals, to solidly defeat Kwan. Both combos ended with 3 loop.

muffinplus

Surya Bonaly should be somewhere in the mix for attempted quads.

Slutskaya performed two 3/3 combos at the “Super Final” round of the 1999/2000 GP Finals, to solidly defeat Kwan. Both combos ended with 3 loop.

They ( or at least one) would have been underrotated if not downgraded by today's rules...

For all the talk about her triple triple combos they were rarely fully rotated or landed with good flow ( compared to today's 3 lutz -loop combos) with some exceptions

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Miki Ando used to do 3Lz3R - I dont remember the years or competitions but later she dropped it because the judges rarely gave her credit for the 3R.

Tara Lipinski landed 3R3R at the 1997 nationals & worlds, 1998 US nationals and the Olympics.

She landed 3S3R in 1996 I think.

Tak

Thank you for your replies.
I incorporated some of the responses by editing the original post.

Please note the emphasis on Nationals achievements. I started this list to try to answer the following question, What makes the Nationals so compelling, a must see for figure skating fans?

Extreme competitiveness such as recent RUS Nationals are exciting to watch. Also World Championship level head to head, such as Kwan/Cohen, Miki/Mao, Med/Zag, is also compelling viewing. This is why International competitions GPS/Euro/4CC/Worlds and Olympics are so popular.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult for any Nationals to always feature top level competitiveness. Since Nationals determine the funding allocation in most countries, it is critically important for nationally ranked skaters, but they are not very well known.

In 89-92, there was no contest in JPN, Midori was going to Worlds/Olympics anyways. But for figure skating fans, just seeing Midori triple Axel, heck, Midori triple anything was worth the price of Nationals admission and made it a must see TV content.
I wondered if this type of experience was commonly shared.

EDIT:
Please remove asterisk from (3Lz/3loop) by Yuna Aoki. She is age eligible at 16 years old.

Last edited:

Finsta

Did Cohen ever do a successful 3/3 at nationals or worlds? Maybe in the QR one time not remembering any in competition. Irina for all talk of her 3/3 won worlds 02 but did not land a 3/3 at event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information