San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

SkateSand

Cat Servant
And then some officials asked for dinner recommendations and we really couldn't help them. There was a "Discover Silicon Valley" book there but all but 2 of the restaurants in it needs a car to get to!

There are quite a few good restaurants in downtown San Jose near the Fairmont so no one needs to drive anywhere. There's Scott's Seafood, 185 Park Ave., Original Joe's (Italian), 301 S 1st St., and I like La Pastaia (Italian) in the Hotel De Anza, 233 W Santa Clara St. The Hotel De Anza is a little bit farther away, on the way to the SAP Center. And there are some really great little ethnic places behind and to the north of the Fairmont.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I went into work today to finish up a few things since I'm off all next week (today was supposed to be my day off) and ended up being there for seven hours. That was not in my original plan but my boss kept sending me crap to do and I didn't even end up finishing my actual work either. I was a little salty when I was finally able to leave. :mad:

I've got all of our tickets printed out, our flight information is printed out (yay for no one taking the middle seat in our row for three of the four legs of our flights for the trip... :p), and my random snacks are bought and ready to be packed. Now I need to do some laundry and then organize and pack my stuff tomorrow since we're going out of town for New Year's and I don't want to do all my packing on Monday evening. I'm SO excited that this trip is almost here! :biggrinbo

acraven

I was in the competition rink today. I was dressed to be outdoors in 30F weather (many layers) and was pretty comfortable. I think it will not be so pleasant if people show up dressed for the 50-60 outdoor temperature. I walked into the practice rink briefly and found it a bit cooler, but not miserable.

They sre selling $30 day passes at Solar4America. I know I am not the only person who expressed concern about whether there will be enough seats available for the all-event ticket holders who will be showing up over the next few days. Although there's not a huge rush by members of the public to see the lower-level events, a lot of seats are taken up by the skaters' families.

The cheese pizza at the rink snack bar was unexpectedly good, and the person seated next to me said the same thing about her grilled cheese sandwich.

A taxi to Solar4America from the Arena Hotel (about 3 blocks west of the SAP Center and farther from Solar4America) was over $17.50 on the meter, not during rush hour. I didn't time it, but it took a lot longer than I expected it to. We sat at lots of stoplights.

Programs were available today at Solar4America. There's a small merchandise booth upstairs. Note: All-event ticket holders will receive one of the enamel pins with their lanyards and ticket pouches.

Edited to add: There is free Wi-Fi at Solar4America Ice. I didn't hav much time to use it, but it semed reliable.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have driven between S4A and the Fairmount twice now around rush hour and it took about 15-20 minutes. The shuttles are set up so that they leave the Fairmont at :00 on the hour, the Marriott at :10 after the hour and leave S4A to come back at :30 which would only work if it took that amount of time to get there so I think that's what is a normal time to make the trip. Is $17.50 normal for that long a trip? I don't take taxis very often so I don't know. I do know a lot of people yesterday skipped the shuttle and took Uber. Maybe it's cheaper?

(Those are the credential shuttles, the fan shuttles go to the Marriot first, not the Fairmont.)

There are a lot of vendors at S4A, mostly skate boots. I just whipped in to check-in and whipped out to get to my shift so that's all I saw.

I'll be at S4A tomorrow from 2:30-6pm as a floater. If you guys see me, give me a wave! :)

Iluvid

I was in the competition rink today. I was dressed to be outdoors in 30F weather (many layers) and was pretty comfortable. I think it will not be so pleasant if people show up dressed for the 50-60 outdoor temperature. I walked into the practice rink briefly and found it a bit cooler, but not miserable.

They sre selling $30 day passes at Solar4America. I know I am not the only person who expressed concern about whether there will be enough seats available for the all-event ticket holders who will be showing up over the next few days. Although there's not a huge rush by members of the public to see the lower-level events, a lot of seats are taken up by the skaters' families.

The cheese pizza at the rink snack bar was unexpectedly good, and the person seated next to me said the same thing about her grilled cheese sandwich.

A taxi to Solar4America from the Arena Hotel (about 3 blocks west of the SAP Center and farther from Solar4America) was over $17.50 on the meter, not during rush hour. I didn't time it, but it took a lot longer than I expected it to. We sat at lots of stoplights.

Programs were available today at Solar4America. There's a small merchandise booth upstairs. Note: All-event ticket holders will receive one of the enamel pins with their lanyards and ticket pouches.

Edited to add: There is free Wi-Fi at Solar4America Ice. I didn't hav much time to use it, but it semed reliable.
I got the lanyard but not the pin. The wi-fi is pretty good.

Iluvid

Everyone, please keep posting about your experiences there so I can live vicariously through them. I really wanted to go, but had bunion surgery a few weeks ago. The last time I was in SJ was in 1996 to watch Michelle Kwan et al. perform-- unfortunately, I missed the huge excitement and accomplishment of Rudy Galindo winning the sr. men's event! Anyone know if Rudy will be honored somehow at nationals?
Well I live here and its changed but mostly not good. 1996 has been the best Nationals here so far. Not sure if they will honor him. They should since he was basically screwed out of being honored in 2012.

Sugar64

It’s been fun following this thread! My family and I will be flying to San Jose on the 3rd to catch all of the Sr events. This will be my first major event since 2009 Worlds! Can’t wait! I just wish we were staying at one of the official hotels...

Carolla5501

I went into work today to finish up a few things since I'm off all next week (today was supposed to be my day off) and ended up being there for seven hours. That was not in my original plan but my boss kept sending me crap to do and I didn't even end up finishing my actual work either. I was a little salty when I was finally able to leave. :mad:

I've got all of our tickets printed out, our flight information is printed out (yay for no one taking the middle seat in our row for three of the four legs of our flights for the trip... :p), and my random snacks are bought and ready to be packed. Now I need to do some laundry and then organize and pack my stuff tomorrow since we're going out of town for New Year's and I don't want to do all my packing on Monday evening. I'm SO excited that this trip is almost here! :biggrinbo

I hate to be the voice of doom, but don’t count on the seats remaining empty. In this day of basic economy a lot of people wind up getting their seats at the airport and get the leftovers, a.k.a. the middle seats.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Well I live here and its changed but mostly not good. 1996 has been the best Nationals here so far. Not sure if they will honor him. They should since he was basically screwed out of being honored in 2012.
Didn't he skate in the opening ceremony and featured in the arena videos throughout the competition in 2012? He was inducted into the hall of fame in 2013. I mean a lot of U.S. champions/World Champions/medalist aren't even in the U.S. Hall of Fame. I am sure they will play his great long program at some point during the competition again this year. While I think 2012 would have been a perfect year for him to be inducted it seems it like a choice for Michelle Kwan to be the only person inducted that year, the first year she was eligible.

Anita18

It depends!
I am at the Marriott info desk! Plus: it is warm. Minus: hip pop/tech music but PLUS at least it isn’t elevator muzak. Minus: no outlet to plug my computer in. And I really need pens and post-it’s so I can add info and add proper wayfinding. Making do with scrap paper and my ballpoint I just so happened to bring. :p My day job as a user experience designer is coming in handy.

skateboy

Wishing everyone attending Nationals a great time! I am so sorry I cannot attend (as I live in the Bay Area), but I am involved in a music event at exactly the same time, that I absolutely cannot miss. :(

skatfan

I am at the Marriott info desk! Plus: it is warm. Minus: hip pop/tech music but PLUS at least it isn’t elevator muzak. Minus: no outlet to plug my computer in. And I really need pens and post-it’s so I can add info and add proper wayfinding. Making do with scrap paper and my ballpoint I just so happened to bring. :p My day job as a user experience designer is coming in handy.

I’m upstairs at Accrreditation - maybe pop up to get paper?

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
Helllooo! Working shifts this weekend, so I hope to meet you all. I have some questions:

- Does anyone have NYE plans tomorrow night? My shift gets out late, so not enough time to get back up to SF or even home, considering traffic. Anything interesting going on in SJ that wouldn't just be a bar or cost an arm and a leg?

- I'm also game for meeting up whenever! Is everyone checking here just by visiting the site on your phones/laptops, or do you have a suggested phone app to download? (Android here - I tried an app a few years ago and it never worked.)

- Is this the official voids thread, or are we starting a new one?

Yay!

Last edited:

Anita18

It depends!
- Is the parking at Solar4America not in a lot? For some reason I thought they said even there we'd have a parking pass, and would be in a lot. On Google maps, I do see huge lots, but are they super sketchy?
S4A should have general parking right there. No need for a pass since there's no gate. It isn't very big (basically two rows of parking on 3 sides of the facility), but at orientation they were pretty confident it wouldn't fill up.

EDIT: Google Maps does indeed show that there is a large lot next to it too. (We didn't drive out that far since there were spaces next to the facility.) It should be fine, since it's attached to the rink, basically. Nothing in between.

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
While making coffee before driving down, I had some thoughts to share about things to do in San Jose for those who would like to get out of the rink for a bit:

• Obviously Valley Faire and Santana Row for luxury-ish shopping.
  • My favorite place to laugh my ass off: The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum; not for the museum - but the planetarium show! It is HILARIOUS, if you like ridiculous, unaware seriousness. It's about the religion of Mithraism, which is a worship of astronomy based on a single painting with a god riding a bull and two little gnomes in Phyrgian caps. They make up a chant to the gods, and the poor teenager who needs to work the light switches really goes at it! Oh, and the gardens are nice too. http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/
  • San Jose Museum of Art. Small enough to see everything in about an hour, and it's right between the Fairmont and SAP. It's the cheapest membership you can buy that gives you reciprocal privileges to 800+ museums in the US! I have this reciprocal membership and have used the heck out of it! https://sjmusart.org/

Doggygirl

Banned Member
I just Uber'd to the Hilton. It was exactly $15.00 and took 9 minutes.

Hope to run into you at the event! I will be flying in Monday and plan to be there Tuesday for practices and events. I might try to get to some practices late Monday afternoon if the travel day goes smoothly. I will be in Section 106, Row 2, Seat 1. Would love to say hi to you and any other FSUers! Thanks for the Uber info!

D

Deleted member 53443

A question: I am selling my tickets and basically giving the practice passes as an extra freebie, the seats at SAP Center for a practice pass are GA4, Row G2. What does this mean, I assume they have a designated section for practice passes, any idea where it will be?

Cleo1782

A question: I am selling my tickets and basically giving the practice passes as an extra freebie, the seats at SAP Center for a practice pass are GA4, Row G2. What does this mean, I assume they have a designated section for practice passes, any idea where it will be?

They might have certain sections blocked off, but I think you can sit anywhere at practice. I know I always have, but I had a credential. I haven't seen any problems with people with tickets. It's not very full at the arena during practice.

D

Deleted member 53443

They might have certain sections blocked off, but I think you can sit anywhere at practice. I know I always have, but I had a credential. I haven't seen any problems with people with tickets. It's not very full at the arena during practice.

Thanks a lot for answering!

Cleo1782

And for people worried about tickets you will almost 100% be able to get good seats at the box office up to the day of the event. I once forgot my pass for the ladies sp one year (can't remember.. Boston maybe?) and instead of taxing it back to the hotel bought a ticket for like 25 bucks and got a decent seat and was actually able to move to a great seat due to lack of people at the event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information