San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

skatfan

Stopped by Solar4America this morning and got my credentials and jacket. it was not busy and the volunteers were well-trained. First shift tomorrow. There are still plenty of volunteer slots open - especially for transportation and info desks at the hotels.

Anita18

It depends!
My first shift is tonight!

Safe and happy travels to everyone. Is there an FSU meetup scheduled?
Have fun @myhoneyhoney ! Yeah I want to know about an FSU meetup too - I figure maybe Saturday, were people talking about that?

Stopped by Solar4America this morning and got my credentials and jacket. it was not busy and the volunteers were well-trained. First shift tomorrow. There are still plenty of volunteer slots open - especially for transportation and info desks at the hotels.
Same here! And well, I have 5 of those info desk shifts, and I literally can't take any more. :lol:

Debbie S

FYI, a friend of mine posted a pic of what I assume is the comp rink at Solar (she was there last night) - it's the rink with the bleachers, looks like the one used for practice in 2012. The hockey glass has been taken down, so we should have pretty good views of the action.

myhoneyhoney

I'm at my shift (transportation) right now and I'm alone! No one at info desk. I'm a bit scared.

BTW, the parking area is sketchy. I hope my car doesn't get towed since we received NO pass or code.

myhoneyhoney

I picked mine up yesterday and it was awesome because some skaters were already practicing in the North Rink. Since it wasn't an official practice I was allowed to sit and watch! That's where I watched Natalia M's daughter practice, along with at least 10 other skaters.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Hi all. A couple questions about the SAP center itself. How does the temperature run for events like this? I will be at practices early in the week as well as the more highly attended events next weekend. I'll be sitting in the 8th row or so. Just wondering how bundled up (or not) I will need to be.

I read the SAP rules a few posts up. When they say "no large back packs" I assume that means hiker style large back packs? I'm planning to bring a back pack but it functions like a tote bag and is about the size of a typical tote. I'm thinking that should be OK but would love the opinions of those who are familiar with this venue.

Thanks!! I need to get busy and print my tickets and pack!

skatfan

So the latest email from the nationals folks says that they will not be allowing in-and-out privileges generally for the Practice passes at SAP Center. Which doesn't make sense since a lot of the practice times are interrupted by other events. We'll see how it goes when the event starts.

Debbie S

^^ I thought when they hosted in 2012, we got wristbands each day for SAP. It's like these people never hosted this event before. (And all-event tix are supposed to allow in-and-out privileges, that's one of the selling points.) :rolleyes:

@Doggygirl I have a backpack-style purse for skating events. It's within all the size rules of every arena and so far I haven't had a problem at any Nats or Worlds (*knocks on wood*).

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I'll be there from the 4th-8th. @IceAlisa and I were discussing dinner on Friday after the ladies free (as we only got to see each other briefly at Worlds in 2016 and have known each other from ye olde Sasha Fans days!).

I work volunteer shifts at the Fairmont on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 12-3pm for F and S and 6-9 on Sunday... Otherwise I am totally available.

letsskate

Hi Everyone, ticketmaster is charging a lot for the processing fee and facility fee. Is there anyway to avoid them?

Anita18

It depends!
@Doggygirl I have a backpack-style purse for skating events. It's within all the size rules of every arena and so far I haven't had a problem at any Nats or Worlds (*knocks on wood*).
That's good to know - I was planning on bringing my laptop to do some (hopefully light) website work when the info desk was slow, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to bring it into the arena if I was watching something before or after. (Alf will have the car so I wouldn't be able to store it there.) And then I had a genius idea of using the hotel's coat check to store my laptop bag. :lol: I can fit it into a bag that's about diaper-bag sized, that I usually use for knitting, which should be the best option!

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
That's good to know - I was planning on bringing my laptop to do some (hopefully light) website work when the info desk was slow, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to bring it into the arena if I was watching something before or after. (Alf will have the car so I wouldn't be able to store it there.) And then I had a genius idea of using the hotel's coat check to store my laptop bag. :lol: I can fit it into a bag that's about diaper-bag sized, that I usually use for knitting, which should be the best option!

I was totally planning on bringing my tablet down to the info desk because when it's slow I'd have nothing to do as I think I'm alone on my shifts! :(

Doggygirl

Banned Member

I didn't have any trouble with this one in Helsinki so I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks!

AJ Skatefan

Hi Everyone, ticketmaster is charging a lot for the processing fee and facility fee. Is there anyway to avoid them?
Every nationals I've been to was not sold out except maybe ladies free. You could probably buy your tickets at the box office when you get there.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Anyone think the all-event parking pass is a good deal? I don't know what parking will be like for the practice sessions.

acraven

I haven't been to Solar4America Ice yet, but Dorie has. She reports that stadium seats have been installed on most of the bleachers in the north (competition) rink! That will make for much more pleasant conditions.

Practices will be held at the East rink, all the way at the back of the building. This is different from information I provided earlier. Dorie didn't mention stadium seats in that rink.

MacMadame mentioned the Whole Foods that's just west of the SAP Center. Most Whole Foods have nice prepackaged cold salads (chicken, etc.), which it now appears can be taken into the SAP Center.

There's a CVS just beyond the Whole Foods, too.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I did my first shift yesterday. I was at the Info Desk at the Fairmont. I was BORED! Well, not 100% of the time. But I was freezing 100% of the time.

The jacket we get is nice but it's basically a windbreaker. For some reason, I was thinking it would be lined/insulated and be warm. People near the ice will be freezing if this is all they have. (So wear a base layer!)

I was the only one working the info desk but @myhoneyhoney was doing transportation so I had company! The info desk is in the "lobby" which is basically just a big space between the front door and the bar. For some reason, the front doors were in the open position the entire time which caused that area to be a wind tunnel. I had to put my Meow-y Xmas cat hat on to keep from dying.

It was nice to have company which is why I wasn't 100% bored but there was very little foot traffic. The #1 question was: where are the bathrooms? :lol: We did give someone info on how to volunteer and two other people info on how to buy tickets. And then some officials asked for dinner recommendations and we really couldn't help them. There was a "Discover Silicon Valley" book there but all but 2 of the restaurants in it needs a car to get to!

I did eventually text my son who was having his D&D group over (many of whom work in the food service industry) and they gave me a list. I'm going to bring it with me for my shift tonight!

If someone wants my vouchers for free tickets, PM me. I won't be able to use them.

Willin

I know someone was mentioning Saturday evening for a meetup? I'd be up for Thursday after the Men's SP or Friday after the Ladies Free.

Anita18

It depends!
I did my first shift yesterday. I was at the Info Desk at the Fairmont. I was BORED! Well, not 100% of the time. But I was freezing 100% of the time.

The jacket we get is nice but it's basically a windbreaker. For some reason, I was thinking it would be lined/insulated and be warm. People near the ice will be freezing if this is all they have. (So wear a base layer!)

I was the only one working the info desk but @myhoneyhoney was doing transportation so I had company! The info desk is in the "lobby" which is basically just a big space between the front door and the bar. For some reason, the front doors were in the open position the entire time which caused that area to be a wind tunnel. I had to put my Meow-y Xmas cat hat on to keep from dying.

It was nice to have company which is why I wasn't 100% bored but there was very little foot traffic. The #1 question was: where are the bathrooms? :lol: We did give someone info on how to volunteer and two other people info on how to buy tickets. And then some officials asked for dinner recommendations and we really couldn't help them. There was a "Discover Silicon Valley" book there but all but 2 of the restaurants in it needs a car to get to!

I did eventually text my son who was having his D&D group over (many of whom work in the food service industry) and they gave me a list. I'm going to bring it with me for my shift tonight!

If someone wants my vouchers for free tickets, PM me. I won't be able to use them.
Oh no, hopefully the Marriott's info desk won't be as bad! Last time, it was a ways into the lobby and it wasn't too cold. Whereas my mom was doing transportation at SAP and she was really cold. :shuffle:

I feel like the jackets have gotten thinner every time I've volunteered - 2009 Worlds was pretty warm (and had a fantastic inside pocket that went all the way around the back so I could sneak entire sandwiches in), 2012 Nats was like a rain jacket and I got the 2018 Nats jacket and was like, "...really?" :rofl:

I feel like the only time I was ever "busy" at the info desk was when the info desk was right next to accreditation, so everyone would come by.

Let me know about the restaurant list! I went to middle school and HS in San Jose but rarely went downtown. I'm even meeting a HS friend to see the FD and suggested brunch, and she wasn't aware of any restaurants downtown either. And she's been in the south Bay Area for at least 20 years now! :rofl:

livetoskate

Everyone, please keep posting about your experiences there so I can live vicariously through them. I really wanted to go, but had bunion surgery a few weeks ago. The last time I was in SJ was in 1996 to watch Michelle Kwan et al. perform-- unfortunately, I missed the huge excitement and accomplishment of Rudy Galindo winning the sr. men's event! Anyone know if Rudy will be honored somehow at nationals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information