San Jose, California will host 2018 U.S. Nationals (Dec. 29, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think most airlines are still operating in It's Summer so Let's Gouge People mode. I'd check the fares in late Sept and see if they've come down quite a bit.

We've flown to the East Coast and back for about $400-600 each at Christmas time and in the Spring. Southwest is showing about double that now. (Which is insane IMO.)

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Now would be a great time to set up a fare alert on Airfarewatchdog. RT from Philadelphia to SFO isn't that terrible—usually ~$300 or less for a direct flight.

A.H.Black

I feel like I went to a different event than A.H. Black
Not complaining about the skating. It was great in both 1996 and 2012.

I just don't like that arena - never have, never will. As for prices - 1995 in Providence was $135 for an all-event ticket. The following year, in San Jose, the price jumped to $400 for the same seats. I anticipate similar sticker shock for 2018.

peibeck

Simply looking
The ticket prices are set by USFSA (not the venue), who in 1996 were surely taking advantage of the surprising new popularity of skating post "the whack" and raised ticket prices accordingly. :shuffle:

A.H.Black

The ticket prices are set by USFSA (not the venue), who in 1996 were surely taking advantage of the surprising new popularity of skating post "the whack" and raised ticket prices accordingly. :shuffle:
I know the prices are not set by the venue (although the venue charges for its use and I cannot say if there is a huge difference in California as opposed to other states). I do not think the USFSA sets the prices either. I think the organizing committee sets the prices - with the approval of the USFSA. It has been my experience that any figure skating event I have attended in California (there have been several) has had significantly higher prices than in other states. The prices may reflect the cost of living in California over other parts of the country, but dollars are still dollars.

Debbie S

Yes, I believe the LOC sets the ticket prices - they sell the tickets and are the ones who profit (or not). I suspect the arena rental and costs of setting/maintaining the ice, plus other operating expenses, are figured into the ticket prices. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the cheaper Nats tickets (of those I have been to) have been in secondary markets - Greensboro, Kansas City, Cleveland. I don't remember the arena being particularly cold in 2012 (St. Louis and Boston win that prize) and our seats were in the 12th row (I think) so we weren't that many stairs from the entry, but I don't recall any problems with them.

Jayar

This is essentially my 'home' arena. It's actually very comfortable, intimate, and I have never been overly cold there. There are a lot of places to eat within walking distance of the arena-- Chipotle, Pasta Pomodoro, 5 Guys, etc. And Santana Row is about a 10 minute drive (AMAZING shopping). Anyway, I am happy that it's local for me, and I know that the LOC will do a great job!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My only complaint with the seats in 2012 was I bought seats in a row that was supposed to be the first row in its section, but when I arrived there were people in folding chairs in front of me. People with comp tickets who moved around a lot and yapped through the skating.

acraven

One ticket-price factor is whether the LOC arranges (as it did last time) to sell all-event tickets directly with a minor per-order service charge as opposed to using a ticketing agency with a service charge of about $100 per ticket. I was very happy with the way San Jose handled ticket sales the last time we were there.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I have to wonder if one of the reasons for choosing SF/SJ is that it's media market is the 6th largest in the US (Detroit is 13). In an Olympic year, it would make much sense to go with the location where there are more people, a stronger broadcast infrastructure for the network, and a bigger pool of talent for research/production.

Last edited:

maureenfarone

I wonder where the secondary venue will be. In 2012 I remember that there was a rink in the vicinity, but I never made it to watch practices. Maybe it was Sharks Ice?? Anyone remember whether it was Sharks Ice and if that would be suitable for the Novice and below competitions?

Aaron W

I wonder where the secondary venue will be. In 2012 I remember that there was a rink in the vicinity, but I never made it to watch practices. Maybe it was Sharks Ice?? Anyone remember whether it was Sharks Ice and if that would be suitable for the Novice and below competitions?

The announcement from US Figure Skating said the venues are SAP Center and Sharks Ice.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

The seating at Sharks Ice is bleachers. You can take a virtual tour of the rink here: (There are two rinks. The one in the back is where the practices were held in 2012)

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.319...UHeEPSpzypIAAAQfCOFBPw!2e0!3e2!7i13312!8i6656

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Would you rather trek through muddy snow and cold somewhere? :cold:
heh heh

I don't agree that the arena amenities are not fan friendly either. There are plenty of bathrooms, a wide variety of food items including some restaurants that are a step up from the regular arena fast food fare and I think there are even water fountains. There is also club level access to people in at least parts of the lower bowl where you can get away from the crowd and have some peace while watching on the close circuit TVs.

We do charge a lot for tickets though. The CoL here is sky high!

nicecardshark

There were many facets of the 2012 Nationals I really liked. One in particular was the great customer service the arena showed in allowing us to choose our own seats, and in confirming seat selection over the phone. We can only hope the service will be so user-friendly in 2018. Do you hear me Mike? :)

A.H.Black

Would you rather trek through muddy snow and cold somewhere? :cold:
Quite honestly, I would. After 26 Nationals I have come to know that warm weather cities have the coldest rinks. I have never been colder than in Phoenix in 1993.

In 2012, I froze in that arena. I wore my heavy coat all week and had a blanket over my lap. The Sharks arena was also very cold. It was lovely outside and we went outside to get warm - but I don't come to Nationals to walk around outside. I come to Nationals to watch skating and I want the arena to be as comfortable as possible - keeping the skaters needs as the highest priority, of course.

Last edited:

Debbie S

The Sharks arena was also very cold.
Sharks Ice is a regular rink (where Polina Edmunds, among others, trains). So yes, it is going to be cold. In 2012, I dressed as I would to attend a local rink show or a club comp. Yes, it would be ideal for spectators, as well as the skaters (for both temp and logistics), to have the secondary rink located at a convention center, similar to Boston in 2014 (and esp since the convention center in San Jose is next to the hotels and within walking distance or a short bus ride from the main arena). But temporary ice can be very expensive. Convention centers are designed to host meetings and trade shows, not sporting events, particularly figure skating. The components needed to install and maintain the ice, plus the bleacher seating and other equipment, need to be brought in (i.e. rented) at the LOC's expense, along with the labor required. Financially, it is much more feasible to use an existing skating facility.

Greensboro was likely an exception, since the facility is designed for multi-sport and entertainment use in addition to conventions, and with the main arena in the same building, most of the required components (and expertise) were likely on-site.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Sharks Ice has some very cold ice surfaces and at least one that is okay temperature-wise. Maybe we'll luck out with which one(s) hold practice session(s). But I'm not counting on it. :D

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Sharks Ice was very cold in 2012. But that's a small price to pay IMO.

Iluvid

I skate at Sharks Ice and it's not within walking distance to the arena. Yes, in the winter months it is cold. July 1st ice time for the month went from $380 to $450 for the month! Ridiculously expensive

Iluvid

Yes that's the only rink we have in San Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information