Sad sad super lame depressing music

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Why do so many skaters use the saddest music EVER? It often feels like a competition to find the most outrageously depressing music. Oof!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Adolescents and young adults are often depressed, the world has been pretty depressing for a while and the crud made it much more so, and there's a permanent tendency to poetic over-emoting among young singers like Eilish. Put 'em all together and you get the Season of the Dirge.

mjb52

It's sort of like the Oscars - perky happy movies don't win Oscars, sad depressing ones do. That's probably part of the motivation as well at a subconscious level - the feeling that sad, depressing stuff shows more depth and artistry.

screech

It's sort of like the Oscars - perky happy movies don't win Oscars, sad depressing ones do. That's probably part of the motivation as well at a subconscious level - the feeling that sad, depressing stuff shows more depth and artistry.
Which has always amazed me, because so many actors have said that doing comedy is much more difficult than doing drama.

orbitz

I think one major reason for using slow as molasses music is that it allows the skater to skate slower. Skating at the elite level is still very difficult, of course, but I guarantee that doing footwork is so much easier when you're going slow than when you're fast. Slow music also allow skater to conserve energy between the difficult tricks.

I feel sorry for the judges that have to sit through one sappy, sad music to another. It reminds me of the days when ice-dancers all did the same freaking CD pattern to the same freaking music.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Adolescents and young adults are often depressed, the world has been pretty depressing for a while and the crud made it much more so, and there's a permanent tendency to poetic over-emoting among young singers like Eilish. Put 'em all together and you get the Season of the Dirge.
Which is why everybody needs to see Pavliuchenko/Khodykin's SP to Be Italian It will make you happy again.

Seerek

I wonder if we can trace this back to a couple standout programs which started this trend, even pre-vocals (2014)?

Is this where we #blamemuse?

jenny12

Even Lana Del Rey

I honestly would be totally in favor of a program to Lana Del Rey’s “Video Games”or “Summertime Sadness.” It couldn’t be any worse than hearing the millionth variation of “In This Shit” or whatever it’s called.

Also, I’d rather a skater pick anything from One Direction over Harry Styles’ solo work. 😜

screech

I said in the Unpopular Opinions thread that I'm so fed up with crappy/emo covers of already good songs. If a song is good, it doesn't need to be made depressing in order for someone to skate to it! And I also want more people to skate to classic rock or oldies, a la Javier Fernandez with his Black Betty program, or even Daniel Samhoin's Delilah. Those came as a breath of fresh air amongst all the other programs.

When you just get more and more sad, slow, etc programs in a row, over and over again, it makes watching a competition so boring. And even exhibition performances are often slower songs. I miss the 90s where we'd have galas with Viktor Petrenko doing the Twist, Kurt Browning as Charlie Brown, Brasseur/Eisler crossdressing...

antmanb

I think one major reason for using slow as molasses music is that it allows the skater to skate slower. Skating at the elite level is still very difficult, of course, but I guarantee that doing footwork is so much easier when you're going slow than when you're fast. Slow music also allow skater to conserve energy between the difficult tricks.
I've actually heard coaches say the exact opposite - that when you skate to slow music you have to skate faster. If the music has a slow beat it looks really weird if your feet are doing double time to the natural rhythm in the music so you need more knee bend, stronger stroking, each push has to get you further otherwise you're just crawling round the rink.

I've heard the young kid skaters at my rink say they much prefer to do the clusters of turns for footwork at a faster pace than a slower pace - the edge and blade control required to do the clusters at a slower pace is hard and exposes them to greater scrutiny from the judging panel if they don't quite hit an edge whereas if its faster and slightly fudged they think they get the benefit of the doubt from the judging panel.

briancoogaert

A lot of skaters use slow and sad music because it's easier to breathe compared to a joyfull music !
In the 80's, 90's, they used classical music, and now, it's sad music.
Well, I'm really fed up with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information