Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

14 year olds in general can be a little self absorbed or self-focussed so not the best of quotes but she's a kid. But a 14 year old saying this after an injury that caused her whole leg to swell up:

"I did MRI and was told that something like a stone had formed in the ankle. And this is either a shadow from the bone, or a piece of it, and this would already be considered a fracture. The doctors said to come for a second examination in a week, and if they find this piece again, they will put a plaster cast.

Of course we were terrified. On the other hand, I could walk. There was no wild pain so that I could not step on my foot. For three days I sat at home, did not go on the ice, because it was unreal. I ran on a treadmill to maintain my respiratory system and physical shape, because otherwise you can gain weight. In the sneakers it were more or less ok."

Someone tell me again how I'm making up how widespread and encouraged eating disorders are in figure skating and how blasé everyone, especially the Russian coaches, are about it. But yeah these kids are all just naturally built this way.
Encourage is a strong word.

This girl is actually a strong-looking athate not a super slender figure skater.

Yes 14 year olds can be super self-absorbed. The injury story with SS is a concern but it shows how worried they get just from sitting on the sidelines for 3 or 4 days with an injury worried that she's going to lose her conditioning level and that somebody will pass her by in her own country and probably her own rink. It's just the way it is and I don't see it changing. I would like to see better measures taken for the safety of these kids. Sadly it's easier said than done.

bladesofgorey

This girl is actually a strong-looking athate not a super slender figure skater.
Would people just STOP with this. here is a 14 year old child so terrified of gaining weight over a three day rest that she runs on a treadmill with a leg injury that might have been a broken bone but because "she looks strong" this is just "the way it is"?
Fans of this sport are beginning to completely disgust me.

Scott512

Would people just STOP with this. here is a 14 year old child so terrified of gaining weight over a three day rest that she runs on a treadmill with a leg injury that might have been a broken bone but because "she looks strong" this is just "the way it is"?
Then Sofia needs people around her including her parents to say you're doing great and you look great! And it is sad to read that these skaters are afraid to put on a few ounces let alone pounds. It's the same in gymnastics and the ballet or Broadway. It doesn't make it right but that's the pressure these super talented people are under.

It's the same with actresses and models. The pressure is unbelievable to look just right.

I wish there were professional people in place to help counsel these young athletes and ballerinas. But I don't think that's the case. :(

Nobody wants to hear the coaches are there to coach and win. But I don't know how they ever get away from that mantra. As far as figure skating goes I wish there was more counseling and support for these young athletes. Just saying that they go to sleep at night worried if they put on a 1/2 a pound they won't be able to get on the podium is heartbreaking.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Looks like Samodurova, Nugumanova, and Gulyakova all skated along with Lipnitskaya in Plushy's Cinderella show!

Julia and Sofia have some video clips in their stories:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Perhaps you should find another sport? A different forum?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Not to mention administrators, judges and officials who apparently are also willing to overlook these kinds of situations.

The discussion here is beginning to remind me of the situation around Richard Callaghan in the US. When there were reports of him abusing skaters, many of the responses were "But he produces winners", "If they're complaining they're lazy", "It's a tough sport, they need to learn to suck it up", etc. etc. But when he was finally investigated formally, the allegations were just the tip of the iceberg of what was going on under his "leadership". Where there's smoke, there's generally fire.

Scott512

The culture is a part of many sports (maybe even all of them), and running away to a different forum won't fix anything.
What will fix it if parents are willing to take their children and hand them over to kickass coaches in any sport in any country? The Lure of winning changes a lot of people's sensibilities.

Why doesn't the international skating Union approach different countries federation's demanding that they get more involved with counseling and education for these kids? That's the only way progress can be made. Eteri has a line down the street of kids with their parents waiting to meet her. I'm sure she's not the only coach and only sport where this happens.

Scott512

Maybe you should find some ethics and humanity? How long have you been in this sport? I grew up in it and my parent is a skating director at a rink still. I think I'm qualified to comment on the culture and conditions of the sport.
How is it going to change for the better?

Personally I want figure skating federation's or gymnastics or hockey or ballet or whatever it is with kids involved to have counselors that they can talk to besides just the coach. better protection for these kids needs to happen because there's been a lot of issues with USA Gymnastics and USA figure skating that involved reprehensible actions that go way beyond a tough coach.

But as I've said many times parents get stars in their eyes when they're taking their children to coach's in various sports. I don't know how we change that.

Scott512

Maybe you should find some ethics and humanity? How long have you been in this sport? I grew up in it and my parent is a skating director at a rink still. I think I'm qualified to comment on the culture and conditions of the sport.
Why make a comment like that to Annie?

The issue. What is your rink doing that can be used at other rinks or other federations to offer better emotional conditions for kids who are skating? We know now coaches are going to coach and want to win everywhere in the world and in any sport. It will be hard to change these coaches because for many of them at the highest level winning matters most. I would like to see parents get more involved and not automatically send their kids to a coach not knowing what they're really sending their child to.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Samodelkina is athletic built like Trusova, I think she can stick longer if she wanted but I think her goal like every athlete is to go to teh Olympics, the pinnacle of their career.

Samodelkina is doing it all for herself, she looks up to Trusova but I dont think she will move with Eteri
she is the star of CSKA and she doesnt need Eteris extra comission money.

Scott512

Samodelkina is athletic built like Trusova, I think she can stick longer if she wanted but I think her goal like every athlete is to go to teh Olympics, the pinnacle of their career.

Samodelkina is doing it all for herself, she looks up to Trusova but I dont think she will move with Eteri
she is the star of CSKA and she doesnt need Eteris extra comission money.
That rumored 40% commission must be pretty sweet for Eteri especially since Alina has probably made many millions of dollars since the Olympics.

Someone needs to tell Sofia the Olympics aint what they used to be.

Good comparison from Sofia to Sasha. But those ultra jumps are tough.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
We know now coaches are going to coach and want to win everywhere in the world and in any sport.

No, many coaches are also realistic about the very small chances of producing a world-class competitor, or even a local/regional winner. They focus on helping athletes improve their skills and find joy and satisfaction in participating in the sport, in whatever form that takes.

It will be hard to change these coaches because for many of them at the highest level winning matters most. I would like to see parents get more involved and not automatically send their kids to a coach not knowing what they're really sending their child to.

It would be very easy to change them, if the rewards they receive (e.g. federation funding) don't use "winning" or "getting medals" as the only criteria to measure their performance. Or as @bladesofgorey suggests, if they're banned from coaching if their coaching methods are abusive.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
That rumored 40% commission must be pretty sweet for Eteri especially since Alina has probably made many millions of dollars since the Olympics.

Someone needs to tell Sofia the Olympics aint what they used to be.

Good comparison from Sofia to Sasha. But those ultra jumps are tough.
Eteris's students get money from tours and endorsements. Like I said Sofia S dont need the money.

Scott512

No, many coaches are also realistic about the very small chances of producing a world-class competitor, or even a local/regional winner. They focus on helping athletes improve their skills and find joy and satisfaction in participating in the sport, in whatever form that takes.

It would be very easy to change them, if the rewards they receive (e.g. federation funding) don't use "winning" or "getting medals" as the only criteria to measure their performance. Or as @bladesofgorey suggests, if they're banned from coaching if their coaching methods are abusive.
You've got to change the culture the thinking the processes the winning is the only thing thing all that has to change.

AxelAnnie

The culture is a part of many sports (maybe even all of them), and running away to a different forum won't fix anything.
Probably all sports. What is your expectation in posting here?
You've got to change the culture the thinking the processes the winning is the only thing thing all that has to change.
Sorry, I don't understand your last bit there.

Scott512

Eteris's students get money from tours and endorsements. Like I said Sofia S dont need the money.
How do you know she doesn't need the money?
Try telling that to Bill Gates and the oligarchs. ;)
They are Is getting wealthier and sickeningly so while the rest of the country and world is going broke.

If Sofia's family has money that's her parents money.

Scott512

Probably all sports. What is your expectation in posting here?

Sorry, I don't understand your last bit there.
Just that the winning is the only thing that matters process has to change. But that's going to be almost impossible to change because these athletes are in it to win it. So are the coaches.

Scott512

Those coaches that take pride in their small improvements just as much as they do big improvements they are to be admired.

AxelAnnie

Just that the winning is the only thing that matters process has to change. But that's going to be almost impossible to change because these athletes are in it to win it. So are the coaches.
Yep. Pretty much. Although they are out there to see how well they can do. It is kind of the point. I don't know how you would change the process. In schools they tried not grading students (didn't want some kids to feel like they were doing better than others. It took the kids about 10 minutes to figure out the ranking. Geesh.

Although I watched an interview with Nathan Chen after his first multi-quad program. He said he just wanted to go out and compete, and test himself and what he could do (He won). Winning is important financially for these kids. Some may have their self-esteem wrapped up in winning (but that is sad and twisted ).
An example of a competitor that I think loves to win (who wouldn't) but she wants to skate. I don't see that she judges her worth by her medals.

Having raised 5 teenagers, I will testify to the fact that teens are self-absorbed and selfish. I think they are supposed to be that way. They are seeing where and how they fit into society. That is not to be confused with actions that are just plain bad, rude and stupid.

Figure Skating is a judged sport. And, not everything is judged by what the judges see on the ice. The scores are capricious. I would love to fix that. And basically, it is not "fair".....but then how much in life is "fair".

Natanielle825

Sofia S may be in trouble. From what I could see, she underrotated 3/4 jumps in her short, and a few more in the free. That tends not to be the sort of problem that improves with age.

Scott512

Yep. Pretty much. Although they are out there to see how well they can do. It is kind of the point. I don't know how you would change the process. In schools they tried not grading students (didn't want some kids to feel like they were doing better than others. It took the kids about 10 minutes to figure out the ranking. Geesh.

Although I watched an interview with Nathan Chen after his first multi-quad program. He said he just wanted to go out and compete, and test himself and what he could do (He won). Winning is important financially for these kids. Some may have their self-esteem wrapped up in winning (but that is sad and twisted ).
An example of a competitor that I think loves to win (who wouldn't) but she wants to skate. I don't see that she judges her worth by her medals.

Having raised 5 teenagers, I will testify to the fact that teens are self-absorbed and selfish. I think they are supposed to be that way. They are seeing where and how they fit into society. That is not to be confused with actions that are just plain bad, rude and stupid.

Figure Skating is a judged sport. And, not everything is judged by what the judges see on the ice. The scores are capricious. I would love to fix that. And basically, it is not "fair".....but then how much in life is "fair".
You raised 5 teenagers? That is an amazing achievement and deserving of your own gold medal of sorts.:)

It's very true about life not being fair and figure skating not necessarily being fair when judging gets back to death and that judge's score not only what they say. I don't know how we get rid of that and I don't know how we get these federations to do better jobs protecting their young is there young skaters from everything thing that harms them. But I think that's what this blades of glory was talking about yesterday.
No one has any is any ideas of how to change things other than getting counselors in there for these federations so the kids have someone to talk to besides their coaches.

I would love to fix the scoring problems too. I would love to change the judge's domestically and internationally every few years and consider changing the heads of federations every 5 or 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information