Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAOTMAA

^^^^She really attacked the SP performance wise too. Part of her was surely emotionally drained and overwhelmed by it all. The first performance after illness/injury is always a difficult hurdle to get over.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Russian media even published articles about Phil Hersh's tweets. :D

For those who'd like to (re)watch the final 4 ladies' free skates (Trusova, Valieva, Shcherbakova, Usacheva) with Ted Barton's commentary, I've cued up the stream to start with Trusova's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KhxKAhRQE&t=2h19m21s
I don't know which was better, a giant bear that took 4 sweepers to carry off the ice after Sasha's skate, Yagudin crying after Kamilla's or Eteri and Danil crying after Anna's. And Ted just beside himself at this point.

Scott512

Russian Nationals 2021 final standings:

Ladies
Result
FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
1 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA MOS 264.10 1 1
2 Kamila VALIEVA MOS 254.01 2 2
3 Alexandra TRUSOVA MOS 246.37 4 3
4 Daria USACHEVA MOS 230.56 3 4
5 Maiia KHROMYKH MOS 211.91 7 5
6 Elizaveta NUGUMANOVA SPB 204.63 6 9
7 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA SPB 204.25 5 10
8 Ksenia TSIBINOVA MOS 203.56 9 6
9 Maria TALALAIKINA SPB 197.32 11 7
10 Sofia SAMODUROVA SPB 196.28 10 11
11 Anna FROLOVA MOS 187.13 16 8
12 Anastasiia GULIAKOVA SPB 185.75 8 14
13 Stanislava MOLCHANOVA KRA 184.64 12 12
14 Anastasia TARAKANOVA MOS 175.58 15 13
15 Arina ONISHCHENKO SPB 169.17 14 15
16 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA SPB 168.33 13 17
17 Valeria KOSTINA TUL 161.43 17 16

Who had your favorite performances of the competition?

ETA that @Tobbe posted yesterday in the From Russia With Love #38 thread (now locked):
For all the great skating and great scores at rusnats we have to be super disappointed in stanislava nastya T Guliakova and Samudorova.
all these ladies are being passed by by several other girls like they're standing still. but that's Sports and that's life.

muffinplus

I enjoy Konstantinova this season, but she seems to have tech issues (or at least based on what I've seen - not sure what she is like in practices?) In Kolyada's case it seemed to be mental, so the move from Chebotareva helped, but don't know that it's really mental with her?

Scott512

Starting off this new thread with Anatoly Samokhvalov's article in which Anna Shcherbakova's mother is quoted:
Google translated excerpts:
A pretty honest answer from Anna's mother. when your child is a star they get cut certain amount of slack and I don't think the parents order Anna around at all or tell her to do things.
Anna is her own boss like it or not and I guarantee you EG was scared to pull her out of Nationals when this is the biggest competition of the year since there's no Europeans and probably no world's again.. EG just lost two phenoms last summer I don't think she wants to do anything to upset Anna who is a brilliant skater really coming into her own. TT may have another Zhenya Alina situation brewing with Anya and kamila.

Getting back to the article if Anna's mother told her honey you can't skate today your temperature is too high before the short program of Russian Nationals Anna would have said no mama I'm skating.

Nadezdanadezda even posted earlier today in the now lockef Russian thread about how EG did not pull Anya because she did not want to upset her. I think there is a lot of truth to that.
It's just the way it is. That doesn't make it right of course but it does explain something has 2y annual refused any recommendation from coaches or parents to withdraw from Russian Nationals. I'm not surprised she stayed in the competition I mean she flew all the way to Siberia for this championship and she wasn't going to miss it.

muffinplus

Getting back to the article if Anna's mother told her honey you can't skate today your temperature is too high before the short program of Russian Nationals Anna would have said no mama I'm skating.

I think to a lot of people it doesn't matter that Anna would be upset or would have defied her parents (NOTE I'm not the one saying this); they still place the responsibility on the adults in her life to pull her out, because they consider her a child.. I think there is probably quite bit of nuance to this, though, as since mentioned by Anna's mom, they seem to giver her the autonomy to make her own decisions. But I mean, to a lot of people, it's pretty black and white.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

I don't know if this has been shared anywhere yet but all three of them are well-spoken and it's obvious they are all quite friendly still. A great watch.
Trusova sat with the other two during the draw. It seems the skaters aren't as caught up in the coaches drama as the media would like them to be, but being friendly off the ice doesn't invite clicks and sell ads.

Scott512

I enjoy Konstantinova this season, but she seems to have tech issues (or at least based on what I've seen - not sure what she is like in practices?) In Kolyada's case it seemed to be mental, so the move from Chebotareva helped, but don't know that it's really mental with her?
Stasya looks amazing. She's a woman and she skates like it and I always enjoy watching her skate. It has to be something mental. Of course it's something technical as well. Maybe she still getting adjusted to her new surroundings and her new team. It's been a difficult year for everyone in the world let alone athletes who have been quarantined and had their training schedules ruined or at the very least interrupted.

Scott512

I think to a lot of people it doesn't matter that Anna would be upset or would have defied her parents (NOTE I'm not the one saying this); they still place the responsibility on the adults in her life to pull her out, because they consider her a child.. I think there is probably quite bit of nuance to this, though, as since mentioned by Anna's mom, they seem to giver her the autonomy to make her own decisions. But I mean, to a lot of people, it's pretty black and white.
Who considers Anna a child? Her coaches or parents or the fans upset she skated the short program with a fever? I don't think her coaches and parents look at her as a child anymore. That may very well be a mistake but I think that's how they look at this young lady. Anna is so mature she is sixteen going on 22. I think that's how her parents and coaches see her.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I just rewatched the entire Nationals ladies final on the Peacock-Ted Barton feed. What a magical event. Probably the finest, most satisfying finals in my watching the sport since 1964 when my daddy took our flickering TV set to our house’s porch, to get better reception of the “canned” CBS feed of the Innsbruck Olympics. (Yup, in those days in Puerto Rico, film of US network shows was flown in CANS daily from Miami. We’d see US network shows a couple of days after they aired on the continent.)

So 55+ years of loving and watching skating truly culminated in this Russian Nationals ladies event, especially the final group. Hubby & I were certain that Sasha had won, after her magnificent skate...so he Skyped his parents in Ryazan’, Russia, to celebrate (as Sasha is from Ryazan’ - hometown hero). We all whooped & hollered. But-wait! Amazingly, the next competitors were even more magnificent. Nobody was sad; we all understood that the final placements were justified. (Better scoring than for the SP.)

I’m still in 7th Heaven, so emotional about what these incredible Russian ladies offered us. May they continue to excel and thrive (along with the heavenly Japanese, Koreans, Americans et al)!

p.s. Speaking of Ted’s coverage of this event...I almost fell out of my seat laughing when he said, “What a great group of Russian ladies! I look forward to more intrigue in the years ahead...” This was while Team Eteri sat with one of their skaters in Kiss n Cry. LOL, Ted Barton!

Last edited:

puglover

na
I don't know if this has been shared anywhere yet but all three of them are well-spoken and it's obvious they are all quite friendly still. A great watch.
What an endearing group of young ladies. As for Anna and her decision to compete at all and then skate her long program, she seems to indicate that she was well aware of all that could happen, had considered the less than happy possibilities and still chose to go for it. Nothing about what she said sounds like she was naive or that her trusted parents/coaches failed in any way to prepare her for any eventuality so I think they made the right choice in then supporting her decision.

Tinami Amori

Just FYI: Here is a chart (a russian poster from other chat has created) with all three top Russian ladies' components/elements and jumps and the judges' scores for each. In order of Shcher, Val,Trus.

Tinami Amori

Is it really necessary to bring here GOSSIP about Rozanov and Aleona ?? and, oh, even with BOLD letters, Rozanov... There have to be some gossip tread where to gossip about this or anything else... It truly is...more than disrespectful.
I always post "pet news" and "bold letters" for names in ALL my posts. It is not a gossip, it is information. Aleona was given a dog, and an explanation "by whom".

muffinplus

Who considers Anna a child? Her coaches or parents or the fans upset she skated the short program with a fever? I don't think her coaches and parents look at her as a child anymore. That may very well be a mistake but I think that's how they look at this young lady. Anna is so mature she is sixteen going on 22. I think that's how her parents and coaches see her.

The fans. She is still a minor, so she isn't supposed to be able to have the maturity or emotional intelligence to make that decision. And people think the adults have failed her and by endangering her health this way. Well, in that podcast they think it was also endangering her competitors since they say she could have passed out collided with someone at any time. Obviously, her parents treat her very much like an adult.

anonymoose_au

I just find it annoying that we're meant to treat Anna as a adult, but only for positive things.

If you try and bring up the fact that competing with the lingering effects of pneumonia - particularly after the SP - was dumb as Hell, suddenly you're bulling a teenager, you monster.

So which is it?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
And even if Rozanov gave her that doggo as a present...so what? Tarasova also wanted to give Yags a dog as a present back in the days. He had to land a certain amount of quads perfectly and she promised him she'd get him a dog. In the end, he bought one himself. And maybe I am confusing things, but I think Plushenko also got a dog from Mishin. I definitely know that Plush gave Mishin a dog as a present at some point, but I am unsure about Mishin giving Plush one.
It seems to be common among Russian figure skaters and their coaches.

Tinami Amori

And even if Rozanov gave her that doggo as a present...so what? Tarasova also wanted to give Yags a dog as a present back in the days. He had to land a certain amount of quads perfectly and she promised him she'd get him a dog. In the end, he bought one himself. And maybe I am confusing things, but I think Plushenko also got a dog from Mishin. I definitely know that Plush gave Mishin a dog as a present at some point, but I am unsure about Mishin giving Plush one.
It seems to be common among Russian figure skaters and their coaches.
Alina Zagitova gave a kitten to Gleikh's mother (when she was still alive, RIP)....... :)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
How hold is Anna? If she has a 1 in front of her age she is not an adult. Who knows if it was the best choice. For skating...sure. but she was being given a lot of meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information