Russian Ladies news & discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmena

And even if Rozanov gave her that doggo as a present...so what? Tarasova also wanted to give Yags a dog as a present back in the days. He had to land a certain amount of quads perfectly and she promised him she'd get him a dog. In the end, he bought one himself. And maybe I am confusing things, but I think Plushenko also got a dog from Mishin. I definitely know that Plush gave Mishin a dog as a present at some point, but I am unsure about Mishin giving Plush one.
It seems to be common among Russian figure skaters and their coaches.

Ha! Ha! :) A very good point! I read a post as a continuation of the gossip of Aleona and Rozanov which, unfortunately, has been brought up on this thread not only once; actually in the previous thread From Russia with love

hanca

Values her privacy
How hold is Anna? If she has a 1 in front of her age she is not an adult. Who knows if it was the best choice. For skating...sure. but she was being given a lot of meds.
What is it with the number 20 that would make a person miraculously an adult? In most European countries you are legally an adult at 18, not twenty, so your theory about number 1 in front of her age making her a child doesn’t work here.

Scott512

I just find it annoying that we're meant to treat Anna as a adult, but only for positive things.

If you try and bring up the fact that competing with the lingering effects of pneumonia - particularly after the SP - was dumb as Hell, suddenly you're bulling a teenager, you monster.

So which is it?
Bullying a teenager? Nyet to that moose. Everyone is impressed with what on your day it's just that the dilemma was should she of skated the SP or not because of a 100゚ temerature?

No one blames Anna for competing. That's how she's wired. People blame her parents for allowing her to compete with a 100 degree temperature that was fixed by tylenol or something like that. Fever reducing over the counter medicines reduce the temperatures of tens of millions of people every day in this world. She was fine the next day flying around the eyes like I've never seen her do before after satia and KV were awesome.

As for her having pneumonia wasn't that like 6 weeks ago. Do you think a basketball player football player hockey players going miss 6 weeks of action with pneumonia? Nope.

Skibean

People want Anna viewed as an adult, but she skates an exhibition with a teddy bear, and clearly resembles a child.
I understand the concerns during a Pandemic. Any other year people wouldn’t flinch. But this a pandemic. The skating season almost didn’t happen. I think people have valid points in being concerned.
I don’t have a horse in this race, so no bullying is intended.

Scott512

The fans. She is still a minor, so she isn't supposed to be able to have the maturity or emotional intelligence to make that decision. And people think the adults have failed her and by endangering her health this way. Well, in that podcast they think it was also endangering her competitors since they say she could have passed out collided with someone at any time. Obviously, her parents treat her very much like an adult.
I don't want to say Anya rules the roost and her family because she is 16. But I hope the decision like this one at nationals to skate the SP does not slide over into the rest of their lives. Figure skating is one thing to wool over your parents and make the final decision but life decisions should be made with the parents leadership in my opinion.

Scott512

How hold is Anna? If she has a 1 in front of her age she is not an adult. Who knows if it was the best choice. For skating...sure. but she was being given a lot of meds.
I'm with you Annie. Great athlete like Anna are wired differently maybe that's what makes them unique and successful. I'm sure if Annas little sister had a 100゚ temperature and was competing in a sport that Anna would want her little sister to pull out for safety reasons. But It was left up to Anna a to compete or not she did what I thought she would do and what any athlete would choose and that was to play.

Ka3sha

Evgenia Medvedeva sums up her 2020 (with pics & videos
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJa_AShMv7-/?igshid=ga6xorhiktuf
1. Became Sailor Moon. Literally. Well, almost
2. Japan. Sakura
3. Cut off 25cm of hair. Don’t regret it
4. FaceTime training. Difficult
5. Surprised [you]. Was surprised [myself]. Everything is good.
6. Hospital. Back
7. Birthday. Hospital. YKW.
8. Tofu-Chan [new dog]
9. Jingle Bells

Liza Tuktamysheva and Sofia Samodurova having fun at the last practice this year and try to skate to each other’s programs

Stanislava Konstantinova got ‘The White Swan’ part in Pluschenko’s Swan Lake show since Adelina Sotnikova won’t be able to take part in the show due to health reasons

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
My issue is anyone going anywhere with a fever. In the past, I didn't think too much of it, but now, to impose that risk of contagion on others in this climate is incredibly irresponsible and selfish.

Of course, from an athletic perspective, it's a stunning achievement.

Natanielle825

As for her having pneumonia wasn't that like 6 weeks ago.
She said before the competition that she wasn't fully recovered, and wasn't able to train long programs. I think she said after the competition that she still had never done one till she actually competed it. So it was pretty reasonable to assume that if she couldn't do one during the practice immediately before the free skate, she wouldn't be able to do one during. Obviously she did, with determination and adrenaline, but if she surprised herself and her whole team it's fair that she surprised us too.
Why are people singling out Shcherbakova? Trusova had an injury, in her hip, with tapes, and skated on pain-killers.
I hear you but if Trusova had been limping around as obviously as Scherbakova was gasping, people might have felt differently. Additionally, I think people were scared of Anna fainting on the ice and hitting her head, a much scarier thought than an injured leg.
Then they reported that she refused a temperature check - I'm not sure if that means an official competition one or just one from her coaches, but if it was an official one for corona safety that's obviously going to upset people. As with masks, if people just get to opt out it kind of defeats the purpose. I think people have also been pretty upset by how many Russian skaters have gotten corona, so they're feeling extra protective.
There's also the element of this competition not being that important, since there might not be a worlds and even if there is, there are several more competitions she could have qualified at when she was feeling better.
If you want to take age out of it, when Ashley Cain fell, hit her head, then kept skating, people were pissed at the referee for not stopping her. Skaters are always going to want to skate, but more objectivity is expected from the people around them. Basically, the "adults in the room" has more to do with not being the actual skater than age.
I totally get why people were upset before and why they're still upset, feeling like the situation speaks to the greater disregard for athlete safety in the sport.

hanca

Values her privacy
Why are people singling out Shcherbakova? Trusova had an injury, in her hip, with tapes, and skated on pain-killers. Plushenko even bragged about it "she is a hero, she was in pain, had to take shots, skated on pain killer".
@Tinami Amori , you are slipping. To deflect the attention from Scherbakova, you only provided one example of another injured skater. I would expect better from you. I would expect you the provide a whole list of skaters who were competing injured at this nationals, including photos of their tapes or video evidence how they are grasping for air. :D

Tinami Amori

@Tinami Amori , you are slipping. To deflect the attention from Scherbakova, you only provided one example of another injured skater. I would expect better from you. I would expect you the provide a whole list of skaters who were competing injured at this nationals, including photos of their tapes or video evidence how they are grasping for air. :D
I am not going to talk "figure skating" with someone who is obviously looking for a fight to spice up one's boring evening.... :)

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I hear you but if Trusova had been limping around as obviously as Scherbakova was gasping, people might have felt differently. Additionally, I think people were scared of Anna fainting on the ice and hitting her head, a much scarier thought than an injured leg.
And if Shcherbakova had tapes on her hips claiming "injury", and Trusova was breathing heavily instead, people would be complaining "how did Anna's coaches let her skate and jump quads - child abuse!"..... :)

There is a blunt bias against Eteri's girls, which disappears within days of them switching coaches. I am only pointing out lack of objectivity.

P.S. Trusova could not have been limping - she was on pain pills, they kill the feeling that makes one limp...... ;)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I'm with you Annie. Great athlete like Anna are wired differently maybe that's what makes them unique and successful. I'm sure if Annas little sister had a 100゚ temperature and was competing in a sport that Anna would want her little sister to pull out for safety reasons. But It was left up to Anna a to compete or not she did what I thought she would do and what any athlete would choose and that was to play.
Genius! They are wired differently.. that is how come they are elite!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Me: people don't want Anna to it her head
You: that's because they HATE her
Look at that, someone doesn't agree and you're repeatedly sharing counter-points. Remember when I did that on page one and you responded that people are just trying to care for the skater and that I need to give it a rest if I don't agree?

I agree that people can be concerned. However, there were several posts here and outside of here that were picked up by FSU that threw the blame/irresponsibility to Team Tutberidze, and Team Tutberidze/the coaches alone because of the logistics of some people thinking they should make every single decision for her. I have zero doubt that you also saw/know this. I gave examples of other skaters, such as Yagudin in 1998 Olympics skating with pneumonia as a 17 year old (and there are endless examples since then where the coaches were not put into question at any point), and I was essentially told by you to STFU. So there's that.

NAOTMAA

Tuk was also sick and Mishin debated her WD before the FS. Nobody is criticizing her or her team for the decision to skate.
For all the talk of Anna's heavy breathing nobody really talked about Liza who looked like she was in lala land half the time. She was barely mentioned all week long and she looked REALLY sick.

I have nothing but admiration for both of them for going for it. I just hope they remain healthy and don't suffer any major effects or anything later. Same goes for everyone else

Tinami Amori

For all the talk of Anna's heavy breathing nobody really talked about Liza who looked like she was in lala land half the time. She was barely mentioned all week long and she looked REALLY sick.

I have nothing but admiration for both of them for going for it. I just hope they remain healthy and don't suffer any major effects or anything later. Same goes for everyone else
(not my opinion) but some people felt that Liza is legally an adult (18+) and Anna is not (she is 16), and that an adult is authorized to make such decisions, and a minor is not.

I don't buy this argument, because "biology" is not about government set "age legalities", such are so subjective. Contra-argument can be: younger body can handle such physical load better than a more mature body.

Liza posted in her IG that she'll be back in training as of January 2nd.

I am quite sure Khrystalniy rink opens for full practices on Jan. 4th, and Anna will be the first one there.

Scott512

And if Shcherbakova had tapes on her hips claiming "injury", and Trusova was breathing heavily instead, people would be complaining "how did Anna's coaches let her skate and jump quads - child abuse!"..... :)

There is a blunt bias against Eteri's girls, which disappears within days of them switching coaches. I am only pointing out lack of objectivity.

P.S. Trusova could not have been limping - she was on pain pills, they kill the feeling that makes one limp...... ;)
All true. Well sad. Especially the IG and TT
She said before the competition that she wasn't fully recovered, and wasn't able to train long programs. I think she said after the competition that she still had never done one till she actually competed it. So it was pretty reasonable to assume that if she couldn't do one during the practice immediately before the free skate, she wouldn't be able to do one during. Obviously she did, with determination and adrenaline, but if she surprised herself and her whole team it's fair that she surprised us too.

Then they reported that she refused a temperature check - I'm not sure if that means an official competition one or just one from her coaches, but if it was an official one for ********* safety that's obviously going to upset people. As with masks, if people just get to opt out it kind of defeats the purpose. I think people have also been pretty upset by how many Russian skaters have gotten *********, so they're feeling extra protective.
There's also the element of this competition not being that important, since there might not be a worlds and even if there is, there are several more competitions she could have qualified at when she was feeling better.
If you want to take age out of it, when Ashley Cain fell, hit her head, then kept skating, people were pissed at the referee for not stopping her. Skaters are always going to want to skate, but more objectivity is expected from the people around them. Basically, the "adults in the room" has more to do with not being the actual skater than age.
I totally get why people were upset before and why they're still upset, feeling like the situation speaks to the greater disregard for athlete safety in the sport.

Thank you for such an in depth thoughtful post of reasoning and rationale that is often lacking in the figure skating world.

That Ashley Cain injury is one of the worst we've ever seen. Just like the Russian pair skater Tatiana who got dropped on her head in Pittsburgh I believe it was the year they won the Olympics or so I thought. That one with Tatiana probably the worst drop I've ever seen! I believe she went on to marry Alexei Yagudin and have 2 daughters.

Hockey players gonna play while injured and figure skaters are going escape while injured or not 100% healthy. Just the way it is and it's never going to change. Obviously Anna getting 1st place after the SP Russian national gave her a boost of confidence that she could do it.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
As for heavy breathing, Steponova was struggling as well. What's clear is many people take a long time to recover from C19. Some don't. :lol: Aliev has stamina issues when he's perfectly healthy. Who knows how it's going to impact him, but he'll do what he has to do. The Olympics and being on the national team is extremely important to all these skaters. They've invested a great deal of time and money to make the team because they feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

And, it seems most skaters who have contacted C19 did it outside their rinks at parties and other social or family gatherings. All of them have to test negative before an event. Some have had a very mild case and it has not been a media issue.

hanca

Values her privacy
I am not going to talk "figure skating" with someone who is obviously looking for a fight to spice up one's boring evening.... :)
That wasn’t meant to be looking for a fight. I am sorry if it felt like that. I admit I struggle to understand your blind dedication to Tutberidze and sometimes can’t help myself to have a dig at you, but if I meant to initiate a serious fight, you would know about it before now.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Russian Nationals may very well be the biggest competition of the year. Some could even argue that the level of skating there was higher than potential Worlds would be anyways. Anna felt she was ready, she delivered in the midst of a string of three out of this world performances, and she's set. Of course she wants to retain her National title. No one is going to remember what happened at a Russian Cup Final unless they are Russian fans on FSU.

Tuktamysheva was a Grand Prix Final medalist when illness took her out of Nationals in 2019. A literal favorite for a medal at Worlds. And we all know what happened. Anna said she was going to get through it, and she did.

And yeah, @Tinami Amori i - if said poster wanted a real fight, they'd throw false accusations at you when you don't agree with their false realities and drag the drama into other threads.

Scott512

Russian Nationals may very well be the biggest competition of the year. Some could even argue that the level of skating there was higher than potential Worlds would be anyways. Anna felt she was ready, she delivered in the midst of a string of three out of this world performances, and she's set. Of course she wants to retain her National title. No one is going to remember what happened at a Russian Cup Final unless they are Russian fans on FSU.

Tuktamysheva was a Grand Prix Final medalist when illness took her out of Nationals in 2019. A literal favorite for a medal at Worlds. And we all know what happened. Anna said she was going to get through it, and she did.

And yeah, @Tinami Amori i - if said poster wanted a real fight, they'd throw false accusations at you when you don't agree with their false realities and drag the drama into other threads.
Not only worlds but it's 10 times better than Europeans. I hope we get up worlds I hope they do it virtually if they have to because Sweden is supposedly a mess right now right?

I feel for these unbelievable athletes if we're giving a lives to this board and some of them will never get to a world championship or Olympics because they keep getting delayed or postponed or canceled.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Russian Nationals may very well be the biggest competition of the year. Some could even argue that the level of skating there was higher than potential Worlds would be anyways. Anna felt she was ready, she delivered in the midst of a string of three out of this world performances, and she's set.
This was the most incredible aspect that Valieva and Shcherbakova didn't falter under increasing pressure, but actually skated the best they have all season. That is the mark of true determination. It's a pity some of the Russian men aren't the same competitors as the women. They may be small and they make look delicate, but those young women are killer athletes.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't think was Scherbakova or Tuktamysheva did was that unusual: athletes compete quite regularly when they are sick or injured. Sometimes we hear about it ahead of time -- there were more than a few posts here to say that both skaters might withdraw before the FS -- sometimes we hear about it afterwards, and sometimes we don't know about it. They risk long-term impacts for the short-term gain they hope will get them to their medium-term goals. They do it in juniors as well as seniors. There are times it works out, at least in the short-term, like with Scherbakova winning her third straight National title, or like Shen landing on a numb foot she couldn't feel at 2003 Worlds.

Sometimes it's because of direct or indirect pressure by the people paying the bills for the skaters -- Federations, sponsors, parents, -- , sometimes it's the coaches, sometimes it's driven by the athletes, and sometimes it's mutually reinforcing.

What was unusual, IMO, was the scrutiny because of cv.

Last edited:

Scott512

This was the most incredible aspect that Valieva and Shcherbakova didn't falter under increasing pressure, but actually skated the best they have all season. That is the mark of true determination. It's a pity some of the Russian men aren't the same competitors as the women. They may be small and they make look delicate, but those is pretty hard on the Russian men compared to the women I want your mother
This one is about the move back to Eteri
Who's moved back to the great coach
women are killer athletes.
Eteri
This one is about the move back to Eteri
Who is moving back to EG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information