Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karina1974

I'm sorry, with all due respect to Michelle Kwan, if Trusova had said " I didn't lose gold , I won silver" I honestly think I would have chucked my dinner.

While Trusova certainly could have handled it better, not everyone needs to be such a goody two shoes .
So you think it's perfectly ok for a 17 year old to throw a public tantrum at the most prestigious competitive event in their sport when they don't win?

If Eteri was doing to be getting in anyone's face that night, if she was a real coach, she would have gone after Trusova for being such a brat.

But she's Russian, and the concept of good sportsmanship when one loses seems to be lost on Russia's collective mindset when it comes to sports. That's why they are in the position they are in, and they may have just made things worse for themselves.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
So you think it's perfectly ok for a 17 year old to throw a public tantrum at the most prestigious competitive event in their sport when they don't win?

If Eteri was doing to be getting in anyone's face that night, if she was a real coach, she would have gone after Trusova for being such a brat.

But she's Russian, and the concept of good sportsmanship when one loses seems to be lost on Russia's collective mindset when it comes to sports. That's why they are in the position they are in, and they may have just made things worse for themselves.
I think Trusova needed to be taken aside and off camera until she was ready for the podium. A public tantrum definitely isn't something you ever want to see from any athlete ,but some people can lose control of their emotions.

I am not a fan of having everything backstage broadcast , nor of the competition couch. I also feel like a lot of past silver medalists and disappointed parties were at least given enough opportunity to collect themselves before presenting themselves to the public.

Eteri and Co. should have ushered all 3 of them away from the camera.

pointbleu

I think Trusova needed to be taken aside and off camera until she was ready for the podium. A public tantrum definitely isn't something you ever want to see from any athlete ,but some people can lose control of their emotions.

I am not a fan of having everything backstage broadcast , nor of the competition couch. I also feel like a lot of past silver medalists and disappointed parties were at least given enough opportunity to collect themselves before presenting themselves to the public.

Eteri and Co. should have ushered all 3 of them away from the camera.
These tantrums happen more often than we think but they happen in the locker room afterwards. The thing here is that the flowers ceremony was right after so no time to go back. She should have been taken away to let it go.

This is why I have always been pro raising the minimal age. Not to prevent injuries but to prevent their mind. Stardom, celebrity, media pressure have never been too good for youngster actors and singers. It is the same for these teen athletes. Too much pressure on a brain/mind that is not yet totally developed and you get these things happening…

becca

Peggy's mother would have put Peggy over her knee if she ever threw a tantrum.

Janet would have prayed all night about it (and did according to her autobiography).

We all know Michelle's approach. I think Trusova should write at least 500 times "I didn't lose the gold. I WON the silver."
I don’t think one has to act like Michelle and be all I love silver I am not so convinced Michelle loved silver although thrilled with the accomplishment as anyone should be.

I think it’s okay to be disappointed but I do think says a lot when handled with grace
These tantrums happen more often than we think but they happen in the locker room afterwards. The thing here is that the flowers ceremony was right after so no time to go back. She should have been taken away to let it go.

This is why I have always been pro raising the minimal age. Not to prevent injuries but to prevent their mind. Stardom, celebrity, media pressure have never been too good for youngster actors and singers. It is the same for these teen athletes. Too much pressure on a brain/mind that is not yet totally developed and you get these things happening…
I don’t think Sasha should be excused but she is young and I won’t write her off completely

Tahuu

Is that a real rule? I've never heard of it.
No such rules. There were instances of ceremonies with missing medalist/medalists in the Olympics by protest and other excuses (eg, USA basketball team protesting their silver medals. Iranian medalist used sick excuse to avoid standing with Israel medalist).

Team ROC is under doping investigation and they should be excluded from the medal ceremony. Team USA and JPN are not, therefore, they should have their silver and bronze medals in Beijing.

pointbleu

I don’t think one has to act like Michelle and be all I love silver I am not so convinced Michelle loved silver although thrilled with the accomplishment as anyone should be.

I think it’s okay to be disappointed but I do think says a lot when handled with grace

I don’t think Sasha should be excused but she is young and I won’t write her off completely
My point being you would see harsher things than what Trusova has done were you in the locker room, but I do agree that some things are better be done in private than in public. Adults can get angrier than that… off camera

becca

My point being you would see harsher things than what Trusova has done were you in the locker room, but I do agree that some things are better be done in private than in public. Adults can get angrier than that… off camera
Absolutely. For the record I thinks okay to be angry of camera.

Plushenko just gave an interview where he said Sasha isn’t Olympic champion because she doesn’t listen to her coaches lol

Sylvia

TBD

Not surprised but am glad an attempt was made on behalf of the 9 Team USA figure skaters!

"The CAS Ad hoc Division dismisses the application filed by nine individual US figure skaters seeking a ruling that the IOC be ordered to hold a medal ceremony for the figure skating team event":

OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES BEIJING 2022 (10)

THE CAS AD HOC DIVISION DISMISSES AN APPLICATION FILED BY NINE
INDIVIDUAL SKATERS FROM THE UNITED STATES SEEKING A RULING THAT
THE IOC BE ORDERED TO HOLD A MEDAL CEREMONY
FOR THE FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT

Beijing, 19 February 2022 – The Ad hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled
earlier today on an application filed by the US figure skaters Evan Bates, Karen Chen, Nathan Chen,
Madison Chock, Zachary Donohue, Brandon Frazier, Madison Hubbell, Alexa Knierim and Vincent
Zhou against the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The USOPC was not a party to the CAS
proceedings.

The athletes were seeking a ruling from the CAS Ad Hoc Division that the IOC be ordered to present
to them the silver medals earned in the Figure Skating Team Event in a public medal ceremony to be
held prior to the close of the XXIV Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022.

The Panel of arbitrators composed of Mr Lars Hilliger, President, (Denmark), Mr Alain Zahlan de
Cayetti (France) and Mr Xianyue Bai (P.R. China), held a hearing by video-conference today from
7pm to 9:30pm (Beijing time). Following the conclusion of the hearing the Panel deliberated and
decided to dismiss the Application. Consequently, the decision of the IOC Executive Board of 14
February 2022 not to hold the medal ceremony for the figure skating team event during the Olympic
Winter Games Beijing 2022 stands.

The reasoned Arbitral Award will be published in the next days.
The reference of this procedure is:
CAS OG 22/11 Evan Bates, Karen Chen, Nathan Chen, Madison Chock, Zachary Donohue, Brandon
Frazier, Madison Hubbell, Alexa Knierim and Vincent Zhou v. IOC

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm very sad for the US and Japanese skaters that missed having a medal ceremony at the Olympics. For some of them that would have undoubtedly have been the biggest thing in their careers. This whole situation is so unfair to them.

Last edited:

hlp728

That’s bites that they don’t get their medal and ceremony at the Olympics. Maybe Biden can give the U.S. team a ceremony with a congressional type medal at the White House.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Not surprised but am glad an attempt was made on behalf of the 9 Team USA figure skaters!

"The CAS Ad hoc Division dismisses the application filed by nine individual US figure skaters seeking a ruling that the IOC be ordered to hold a medal ceremony for the figure skating team event":

Beijing, 19 February 2022 – The Ad hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled
earlier today on an application filed by the US figure skaters Evan Bates, Karen Chen, Nathan Chen,
Madison Chock, Zachary Donohue, Brandon Frazier, Madison Hubbell, Alexa Knierim and Vincent
Zhou against the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The USOPC was not a party to the CAS
proceedings.

The athletes were seeking a ruling from the CAS Ad Hoc Division that the IOC be ordered to present
to them the silver medals earned in the Figure Skating Team Event in a public medal ceremony to be

The Panel of arbitrators composed of Mr Lars Hilliger, President, (Denmark), Mr Alain Zahlan de
Cayetti (France) and Mr Xianyue Bai (P.R. China), held a hearing by video-conference today from
7pm to 9:30pm (Beijing time). Following the conclusion of the hearing the Panel deliberated and
decided to dismiss the Application. Consequently, the decision of the IOC Executive Board of 14
February 2022 not to hold the medal ceremony for the figure skating team event during the Olympic

CAS OG 22/11 Evan Bates, Karen Chen, Nathan Chen, Madison Chock, Zachary Donohue, Brandon
This is so wrong. Getting medals awarded and celebrated at the actual Olympics is so special. It's something that can never be replicated.

Especially in a year where their families have not been allowed to be present for anything.

Bournekraatzfan

Absolutely. For the record I thinks okay to be angry of camera.

Plushenko just gave an interview where he said Sasha isn’t Olympic champion because she doesn’t listen to her coaches lol
I read a translated interview in which Sasha said she requested to not be filmed but her request was ignored. I turned away from the tv when this was happening because it was such a vulnerable moment for both Sasha and Kamila and you could see Sasha trying to hide behind the curtain. I really wish they had just cut away at this moment.

becca

I read a translated interview in which Sasha said she requested to not be filmed but her request was ignored. I turned away from the tv when this was happening because it was such a vulnerable moment for both Sasha and Kamila and you could see Sasha trying to hide behind the curtain. I really wish they had just cut away at this moment.
Yeah that’s not right

soogar

Tennis has plenty of adult brats throwing tantrums in public. Personally, I think it is unfair how NBC forces the skaters to sit out in the one so they can film their expressions. Everything is open because NBC requested it. I feel for the skaters who can’t go backstage to stretch or foam roll or even eat and drink something because they have to be on display. Sasha was very upset and looked kind of scary, she’s a really strong looking girl and I thought she was going to get into it with Eteri. The cameras were all in her face.

With the scrutiny and the tension involving their team mate, plus Covid and being in a Covid olympics, I can totally see how she would have been stressed out. Plus the sudden rise of Kamila this year has to contribute emotionally as well. These girls don’t even get a year to breathe. There is always a younger kid on their tail.

Cherub721

YEAH!
With the scrutiny and the tension involving their team mate, plus Covid and being in a Covid olympics, I can totally see how she would have been stressed out

Mark K said every time you walked out of the building. right at the exit there was a building where PCR tests were taken. It was always on his mind and he got paranoid thinking at any moment you could have a positive test and be taken away to a room somewhere.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This Olympics? :drama:

Also, I want to see the written decision to see the reasoning.
Yes, I'd love to know what their reasoning on this one is.

What is really going to piss me off is, if in the end, the results stand. If all this was for naught and the skaters are left hanging for months without any medals, only to receive the same ones they would have had had the IOC not delayed the medal ceremony in the first place, then what was the point of robbing any of these skaters of their moment?

giselle23

Compare the reaction of Mishina and Galliamov, who were thought to be gold medal favorites and won bronze.

Firedancer

proceedings.

This is unfair to US and Japanese skaters who competed clean and earned their medals. Getting their medals shipped to them a year from now does not compare to receiving your medals as a team at the medals plaza.

coppertop1

Sasha, Anna and Kamila are all victims of a toxic system where they have abused and completely failed by the adults. Athletes are human and shouldn't be expected to put on a brave front, especially teenagers. If those girs had a healthy environment, none of this would have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information