Russia’s 3rd lady for worlds

Who should get 3rd Russian ladies spot at worlds?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Assuming Samodurova and Zagitova are there, who should be the third Russian lady at worlds?

hanca

Values her privacy
Definitely Medvedeva. I do feel sorry for Tuktamysheva because she has been better in the first half of the season, but Medvedeva is better now and that’s what counts. And it will be fun to see another battle between Zagitova and Medveda, Tutberidze versus Orser.

starrynight

I think Tuktamysheva should go based on her body of work. I believe that Liza should have won the silver at the Grand Prix Final but was held back due to political overscoring of Zagitova. It's just such a shame that Liza got so ill.

Given that Worlds are in Japan, Russia needs to watch out for the Japanese ladies. I believe that Liza with her 3A is the best bet to compete with them. I just think that in the environment of a Japan Worlds, with serious Japanese contenders, in front of a Japanese crowd the judges will be less inclined to prop up the Russian ladies based on past reputation. If Liza hits those two 3As the judges will go with her.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
This talk of 'Mevdvedeva' is very annoying, she is a World champ. and deserves to be called what she should really be called. Not a long same that I can not spell nor pronounce. I am O.K with her to be called Janny, Zhenya, especially Nia is good to.

I was hoping in World's to see Sotskavo and the women who is always having very bad falls with the not supportive coach, I hear she got "married" though and may not be competing again. May her marital bliss be fulfilling and Holy.

starrynight

Team Japan definitely has a shot at a medal, if not two or even three, depending on how the rest of the field do. Russia is definitely going to have to bring its A Game to Saitama.

Given the royal status of Japan in figure skating -- i.e. being the big bread winner and money generator for the sport, I just can't see the judges pushing down the Japan ladies if they skate well to prop up the Russians.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The biggest question mark will be Kihira and her triple Axel in the short program. Personally, I don't even think she needs to include it in the short, to be in the mix for a medal.

barbarafan

Definitely Medvedeva. I do feel sorry for Tuktamysheva because she has been better in the first half of the season, but Medvedeva is better now and that’s what counts. And it will be fun to see another battle between Zagitova and Medveda, Tutberidze versus Orser.
I think I am in the middle here and will just see what the Fed decides. One thing for sure...both Med's and Liza's PCS have gone up for this competition....Med is coming along nicely and Liza's jumpintg tech is special. Both made some mistakes so if they were both clean in everything they would be almost even. Both have another 3 weeks to improve. Med is my favorite but it really should be who they think will be on their game come worlds.

caseyedwards

Zagitova must withdraw! She must know her terrible problems will likely cost Russia three spots! That she has no chance whatsoever to be in the top 10 at worlds. That in free skates she can’t do any triples anymore! She is totally unable to do triples in free skates. One at Russian nationals! Two at euros! She has huge problems. She has to stop her season. She must have worlds be Tuktamisheva medvedeva and somuduova. The choice is hers. All the power belongs to Zagitova. She knows she can’t do triples in free skates anymore. If that extends to short programs she may not make the free skate at worlds.

briancoogaert

Based on the season's results, it should be Tuktamisheva.
And I don't know what Zagitova is able to do, she is an incredible competitor, but I believe it would be better for her to take a break to adjust her technique.

bardtoob

The Worlds team should really be Samodurova, Medvedeva, and Tuktamysheva.

I agree.

I love Zagitova, but since she is not World Champion or European Champion the technical callers will not give her the benefit of the doubt. The Olympics are too far removed to derive status from that.

umronnie

Zagitova must withdraw! She must know her terrible problems will likely cost Russia three spots! That she has no chance whatsoever to be in the top 10 at worlds. ...
Let's not get carried away here. I'm all for a Sofia-Liza-Janny team, mainly cause I hate seeing Zaggi's labored skating and awful programs get rewarded with ridiculous PCS, but Russia is not going to lose 3 spots unless they send BOTH Zag and Kost.
To maintain 3 spots they need, what, 5 and 8th or 6th and 7th, right?
Liza SHOULD make top 4, alond with the Japanese. The rest of the top 10 should consist of 2 Americans, 2nd Russian, Tursy and Lim. Who am I forgetting? That leaves 1 spot in the top 10 for even - gasp - Zaggi.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Zagitova has medaled at every event she entered during the fall except Russian nationals where she beat Medvedeva. :lol: Memories are really short. There is no way the RuFed isn't sending her to Worlds. The 3rd spot is between Med (only because of TAT and the fact Tuk missed Europeans) and Tuk (and Tuk wouldn't have won against the wonder Trio.)

If Tursy lands that quad and wins, I'll be doing a TursyMom dance.

kittysk8ts

No matter who wins the spot, the deep respect Meds and Tuk have for each other is super cool.

I believe 100% in Meds’ choice of team Cricket and I so want to see them succeed. And I think they will.

But I think Tuk has earned it.

It really is an exciting time in Russian ladies. Well done.

bardtoob

Zagitova has medaled at every event she entered during the fall except Russian nationals where she beat Medvedeva. :lol:

Medvedeva beat Zagitova in the LP at 2019 Russian Nationals by 12, yes 12, points :rolleyes:

... And if the wrong technical caller {cough from Japan} downgrades everything, Zagitova will have more problems going forward.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Zagitova has medaled at every event she entered during the fall except Russian nationals where she beat Medvedeva. :lol: Memories are really short.

She medaled at Euros with a two-fall long program and a total score under 200. Memories aren't THAT short. What do you think would have happened if the Japanese ladies, Liza, and Tursy had been there? I like Alina -- yes, I really do, despite her ubers' opinions that everyone who notices her struggles has it in for her. But she IS struggling. Of course they'll send her because when she's on, she's great. But she hasn't been on for a while now. Her PCS cushion has saved her bacon time and again, but that's not the same as being on.

Bonjour Sherry

While I agree that the first half of Zagitova's season was pretty strong, she has really been running into problems starting from Russian Nationals. She already lost to both Konstantinova and Samodurova. Yes, Medvedeva lost to Zagitova at Nationals. But the Russian Cup shows she's on a clear upward trend.

I think the Russian Fed's objective should be damage minimization. Anything can happen, but I don't think any of the ladies have a particularly high chance of winning the World title. The only one with a good chance (from score potential point of view) is Zagitova, but since she's been losing points to URs and is so inconsistent (recently, which is the most important keyword), she's not a safe bet. Samodurova doesn't have a high enough score ceiling. Medvedeva's getting her groove back, but her PCS at international competitions is lower than before (for instance, lower than Miyahara's) and she's been getting more scrutiny on her jumps. The judges are stingy with Tuktamysheva's PCS. I'd go with Samodurova, Tuktamysheva, Medvedeva but between Med/Zag it's almost a toss-up.

If I HAD to choose Med or Tuk, then Tuk hands down.

caseyedwards

She medaled at Euros with a two-fall long program and a total score under 200. Memories aren't THAT short. What do you think would have happened if the Japanese ladies, Liza, and Tursy had been there? I like Alina -- yes, I really do, despite her ubers' opinions that everyone who notices her struggles has it in for her. But she IS struggling. Of course they'll send her because when she's on, she's great. But she hasn't been on for a while now. Her PCS cushion has saved her bacon time and again, but that's not the same as being on.
So true! Everyone must be honest! She has two triples at the moment. Maybe!! Maybe it’s only one! Salchow? So she won a medal at euros. That’s a very weak weak romp. Like mordovian ornament for ladies

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information