Russia’s 3rd lady for worlds

Who should get 3rd Russian ladies spot at worlds?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marco

Telling someone to be "ready for Worlds" is quite different to telling someone "I will definitely send you if/when you are ready".

Tinami Amori

Telling someone to be "ready for Worlds" is quite different to telling someone "I will definitely send you if/when you are ready".
The comment was "get ready for the worlds", which is somewhat different than "be ready". First one is more of a "command" and the other one is more of "suggestion".

The exact phrase was repeated by Mishin in an official interview, where he repeated the "command" he received from the Russian Federation.

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1069980793.html

«Федерация поручила мне готовить Лизу к чемпионату мира. Как орудие большого калибра. Мы должны противопоставить японским потугам на тройной аксель Лизин совершенный тройной аксель. Мы должны отстреливаться от японского цунами своим тройным акселем»

"The Federation ordered/instructed/assigned me to be preparing Liza for the World Championship. As a heavy caliber weapon. We need to withstand/resist the Japanese efforts/attempts at the 3A with Liza's perfect 3A. We must resist the Japanese wave/tsunami with our own 3A".

... Liza has her 3A now.

Marco

Thanks. From your translation of Mishin's quote, I still don't see where the Rus Fed represented that they will definitely send Tuk to Worlds once she regained the 3axel / regained form. To me, the message was really "don't stop training just because we are not sending your skater to Euros. The World team is not set and there is still a chance we will send her to Worlds".

For what it's worth, the officials might have also told the same to Orser / Medvedeva.

Tinami Amori

Thanks. From your translation of Mishin's quote, I still don't see where the Rus Fed represented that they will definitely send Tuk to Worlds once she regained the 3axel / regained form. To me, the message was really "don't stop training just because we are not sending your skater to Euros. The World team is not set and there is still a chance we will send her to Worlds".

For what it's worth, the officials might have also told the same to Orser / Medvedeva.

Look, i know lots of english words, but i can't always find an exact english word that reflects the "exact nature" of the russian word. I tried to give several options to the "Федерация поручила мне"... the word "поручила" in this setting, is almost a "military term"... The Federation assigned me, The Federation appointed me.. It is a command.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think the Russian Fed probably wanted a completely clean Tuktamysheva in her most recent international- she was very good, but not 100%. So then Medvedeva snuck in, and while both were obviously overscored at the Russian Cup Final, I think Evgenia got the much bigger boost.

In any event, I don't get any impression really out of Evgenia's programs, they are skated very cautiously and meticulously so she can focus on her technique and I'm still really surprised she came up with the tango idea. I'd much rather her end the season now than go to Worlds and have a less than stellar event and/or a meltdown in either program as we've seen several times this year. Orser has a plan in place, he knows it's worked with other skaters, and he knows this isn't enough time yet. Tuktamysheva, with a clean or nearly clean short program, is going to position herself very well with the other top skaters and she's been reliable all season.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am a big fan of Zhenya, but this is so unfair. Liza deserved to go to worlds. Dirty politics. I will have a tough time supporting Med at These worlds. I suspect she will give respectable performances and will be held up by politicking, just like she was to get a spot on the world team.

My heart is broken for Liza. Is she at least the first alternate?

kalle

Unfair decision towards Liza!
For me, she and Sofia have both shown fantastic consistency this season and I somehow thought the fight for the 3rd spot was more between Zagitova and Medvedeva :shuffle:
I am happy for Medvedeva as it seems she is starting to find her way back to the top but honestly, Liza should have been chosen if it was a decision between these two skaters.

Lis

I just hated Russian cup the ladies event. It was so obvious they did everything to make sure Med would win.
Sp should have gone to Gubanova in the first place and then the FP results ugh......

Its really unfair Tuk doesn't get the 3rd worlds spot!

skatfan

Sad for Tuk - getting pneumonia and not skating at Russian nationals really cost her. Evgenia better skate really well!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am a big fan of Zhenya, but this is so unfair. Liza deserved to go to worlds. Dirty politics. I will have a tough time supporting Med at These worlds. I suspect she will give respectable performances and will be held up by politicking, just like she was to get a spot on the world team.

I suspect it was close enough that the decision could go either way (See last Olympics) It is figure skating!

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I hope Russia doesn't regret this decision later with 2 spots for 2020 worlds...

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I hope Russia doesn't regret this decision later with 2 spots for 2020 worlds...

Let us see. Either Zag or Med will be 5th. So the other lady will have to be at least 8th. I think Samudarova can get it done. So even if the third lady places 15th, it won’t matter. Russia is likely to get 3 spots next year but no medal this year.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Let's say for the sake of argument that all three Japanese ladies, Tursy, and Bradie finish 1-5. In that scenario, the Russians could still easily go 6-7. I don't think either Eunsoo or Loena poses much of a threat.

zigzig

The only real competition these girls have is Japan and possssibly the Americans and/or a foot perfect Eunsoo Lim. They’ll definitely secure three spots either by virtue of their skating or by manipulation of the judges/tech panel which is a given ever since this sport was sold to Russia :rolleyes:

Back on topic though, the decision seems unfair but honestly I prefer Med over Tuk by a long shot so hope to see her skate her heart out at worlds.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The only real competition these girls have is Japan and possssibly the Americans and/or a foot perfect Eunsoo Lim. They’ll definitely secure three spots either by virtue of their skating or by manipulation of the judges/tech panel which is a given ever since this sport was sold to Russia :rolleyes:

Back on topic though, the decision seems unfair but honestly I prefer Med over Tuk by a long shot so hope to see her skate her heart out at worlds.

It is not a matter of who You prefer. It is a matter of fairness- who placed better internationally during the season. I am a big fan of Zhenya but I am on Liza's side on this issue (worlds team).

Last edited:

tripleflutz

Banned Member
I am pretty sure they will send Medvedeva. She is a much more dominant skater with her 2 world titles, Olympic silver, and 2.5 seasons of total dominance, she is also a fed. favorite, and if it is a close call which it seems to be now she will get the benefit of doubt. Will be very surprised if they wind up picking Tuk over her, if they were going to pick Tuk they would have named her by now.

tripleflutz

Banned Member
I think the Russian Fed probably wanted a completely clean Tuktamysheva in her most recent international- she was very good, but not 100%. So then Medvedeva snuck in, and while both were obviously overscored at the Russian Cup Final, I think Evgenia got the much bigger boost.

In any event, I don't get any impression really out of Evgenia's programs, they are skated very cautiously and meticulously so she can focus on her technique and I'm still really surprised she came up with the tango idea. I'd much rather her end the season now than go to Worlds and have a less than stellar event and/or a meltdown in either program as we've seen several times this year. Orser has a plan in place, he knows it's worked with other skaters, and he knows this isn't enough time yet. Tuktamysheva, with a clean or nearly clean short program, is going to position herself very well with the other top skaters and she's been reliable all season.

This is the last year Medvedeva (or Tuktamysheva) have a chance. With all the young Russians doing quads and triple axels Medvedeva will not be competitive in the coming years. Zagitova will not be either, even if she recovers from her current problems. This is the last chance for most of these girls to win a world medal or another world title. There is no real long term plan, since that implies Medvedeva has a real hope moving forward which she doesnt.

blue_idealist

I am pretty sure they will send Medvedeva. She is a much more dominant skater with her 2 world titles, Olympic silver, and 2.5 seasons of total dominance, she is also a fed. favorite, and if it is a close call which it seems to be now she will get the benefit of doubt. Will be very surprised if they wind up picking Tuk over her, if they were going to pick Tuk they would have named her by now.

They've already named Medvedeva.

starrynight

I think that Liza deserves it. She's been the one who has kept a clear head this season. When everyone else was splatting, skating the wrong direction, breaking down, crying ..... Tuktamysheva was skating consistent and level headed programs. No big meltdowns.

ugh. Curse that pneumonia.

At least Liza has expressed no intention of retiring. I hope that she enjoys Stars on Ice Japan and expands more into doing show skating so we can see her more often. I know everyone thinks this is the last opportunity for any of the current seniors to go to Worlds due to the juniors coming up, but honestly, who knows. They have their own battles to fight and we don't know what will happen there.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is the last year Medvedeva (or Tuktamysheva) have a chance. With all the young Russians doing quads and triple axels Medvedeva will not be competitive in the coming years. Zagitova will not be either, even if she recovers from her current problems. This is the last chance for most of these girls to win a world medal or another world title. There is no real long term plan, since that implies Medvedeva has a real hope moving forward which she doesnt.

She is also the one who has struggled the most in the GP.

tripleflutz

Banned Member
She is also the one who has struggled the most in the GP.

Very true. Hence even more clear she is done after this year as any kind of real threat once the quad lutzing kids all turn senior. So any talk of a serious long term plan for success for Mededeva is null and void. It just isnt happening, this year is her last real chance of doing anything, and as such I am sure she is very relieved to be assigned to worlds and have one last chance at another world title/medal.

I will be surprised if either Medvedeva or Zagitova make another worlds team after this year, although between those two I give Medvedeva the better shot, like 30% vs Zagitova's 5%. If she ever does again it will be as the 3rd Russian probably though. And sorry for Tuktamysheva, this must be especialy devastating for her, as I would give her odds of ever making a Russian world team after this year closer to 1% sadly. Unless all the quad kids suffer injury or burnout or something

starrynight

The quad girls still have to go through the main part of the experiment which is whether they can sustain those jumps through puberty. I think it would be unwise to make assumptions that they will block out all the other skaters indefinitely.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The quad girls still have to go through the main part of the experiment which is whether they can sustain those jumps through puberty. I think it would be unwise to make assumptions that they will block out all the other skaters indefinitely.
:lol: they don't have to do it indefinitely. There are more behind the Power of Three. One of whom will just skate juniors next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information