RPDR Season 13

Sylvia

TBD
As one of the first major television series to re-enter production during the coronavirus p*ndemic, Drag Race season 13 — premiering Friday, Jan. 1 on VH1 — captures the anxiety of an uncertain moment for queer artists while offering a hopeful glimpse at the vibrant future ahead, with a cast of 13 diverse queens from around the country igniting what New York City competitor Kandy Muse dubs "the renaissance of Drag Race."
Denali is up first in the RuVeal video that livestreamed earlier today:

Denali previously competed in figure skating/has choreographed as Cordero Zuckerman (most recent skating video from late October: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG74GHqJv-K/ ) - today's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIlhNGLJ7-O/

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Denali is up first in the RuVeal video that livestreamed earlier today:

Denali previously competed in figure skating/has choreographed as Cordero Zuckerman (most recent skating video from late October: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG74GHqJv-K/ ) - today's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIlhNGLJ7-O/
:inavoid::cheer: Really? I am gagging. I love his choreography. And also his video clips to pattern ice dance music are hilarious. Didn't know he did drag.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
TWO season premiers in January!
  • Season 13 premiers on New Year’s Day at 8 pm Eastern on VH1. And I’m hoping for great work from Denali (Cordero Zuckerman) in representing figure skating.
  • UK Season 2 premiers 14 January on BBC One and the WOW app. With luck, it will be shown again in the US on VH1 or Logo, probably 3-4 weeks behind.
And don’t forget the RPDR marathon on Logo starting at 9 am Eastern on Christmas.

Aceon6

I’m watching the marathon, currently on season 3. This is fun, especially knowing how things turned out and how well many of the contestants have done post show.

all_empty

Here's a fun video of Denali skating, complete with a "ru-veal" at the end (and a very decent spiral and fun footwork).

I chatted with her the other day and she told me her drag name was "Tonya Hard-on" for a hot minute.

You'll see right off the bat in the first episode but I think Joey Jay is the spitting image of Jeffrey Buttle right down to mannerisms.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Love love love!! This is one of my favorite shows as it’s truly an escape. My favorite is when they start sharing stories and letting us in their worlds. You can’t help but feel a connection

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Here's a fun video of Denali skating, complete with a "ru-veal" at the end (and a very decent spiral and fun footwork).

I chatted with her the other day and she told me her drag name was "Tonya Hard-on" for a hot minute.

You'll see right off the bat in the first episode but I think Joey Jay is the spitting image of Jeffrey Buttle right down to mannerisms.
I am literally not kidding you and have tons of ex coworkers that will verify. Each year at my old bar, the employees had to do a turnabout drag show with help from the professionals (one of which was Nina West). My drag name, as of 2009, was also Tonya Hardon.

all_empty

I am literally not kidding you and have tons of ex coworkers that will verify. Each year at my old bar, the employees had to do a turnabout drag show with help from the professionals (one of which was Nina West). My drag name, as of 2009, was also Tonya Hardon.

Hardon with or without the hyphen lol?

Nina is lovely and incredibly talented; she must have been a great mentor.

I thought last season was fantastic -- the best in years.

This year's crop seem a little more "generic" (maybe that's not the right word ... they're reminiscent of past queens) but I'll wait for a few episodes to air before I share my thoughts.

FiveRinger

I saw the “Meet the Queens” video. But I’m scared to give an opinion. I don’t want to jinx anybody...lol

Aceon6

I‘m still slogging through the RPDR marathon. It’s probably my age, but I’m feeling that the episodes got less entertaining past Bob’s season. Between the escalation of Ru as mental health counselor and a lot of self absorbed younger queens, the episodes from Seasons 9 and on just don’t seem to be that much fun.

tony

I‘m still slogging through the RPDR marathon. It’s probably my age, but I’m feeling that the episodes got less entertaining past Bob’s season. Between the escalation of Ru as mental health counselor and a lot of self absorbed younger queens, the episodes from Seasons 9 and on just don’t seem to be that much fun.
I think the 'formula' was established way prior to season 9, and we really just got lucky with big personalities in seasons 4-6... especially 6 which is something I could watch on loop endlessly. I mean, how much longer is Ru going to act shocked when someone does a death drop? It's such old news and expected to be in a queen's repertoire now, but cue the shock for the camera.

But yeah, Ru was always trying to have this 'bringing families together' slant since the beginning and always had an interview with the final queens at least from season 2 forward-- maybe even in season 1. It always turned into some family drama or adversity that the queen had to overcome.

The big turning-point for me, even if it is in part a scripted show, is when Ru went after The Vixen in the season 10 reunion, for reasons that RU LITERALLY IS GUILTY OF HERSELF. Ru is the absolute queen at hearing a little bit of gossip or picking up on body language and then running right over to the other side of the workroom to start some shit-- and then, of course, she wants it to be a therapy session where she always knows best.

And this might sound heartless, but RPDR been around long enough that the meltdown/cry fest on the runway when things don't go well, full with some long story of something that happened outside the competition, is old news and too expected, too. Ongina did it in season 1 but it was warranted, and then every season there seems to be someone who just flat-out has a terrible week but they put on the waterworks regarding something that happened 15 years ago.

all_empty

Season 6 is the best, but the most recent Season 12 was also good, because the queens were really talented and interesting.

Jayar

Does anybody know who the queen is that was disqualified from this season? Another NYC queen, if rumors are correct. She is not seen in any promos or episodes.

tony

Does anybody know who the queen is that was disqualified from this season? Another NYC queen, if rumors are correct. She is not seen in any promos or episodes.
She was sent home before the first day of filming, for something that was already known and that she freely had talked about, so I hear. So, luckily for the producers, they won't have to edit around someone that potentially does extremely well.

Aceon6

I guess all the busted looking queens are getting the shantay. This is SO weird.

tony

RPDR, that has been politically correct on just about every single thing in the last few years and constantly makes contestants drop their last names if they are too controversial/problematic, is letting Tina Burner keep her name. Fascinating.

FiveRinger

She was sent home before the first day of filming, for something that was already known and that she freely had talked about, so I hear. So, luckily for the producers, they won't have to edit around someone that potentially does extremely well.
That explains why there was a head to head to head challenge as opposed to an additional duo. I'm talking in code not wanting to spoil....lol

all_empty

From a press event with Denali today.

Someone asked her about how figure skating prepared her for drag:

"Fgure skating is the gayest sport in the world," she compared the two. "It has the glitz, the glamour, the athleticism and the drama."

all_empty

RPDR, that has been politically correct on just about every single thing in the last few years and constantly makes contestants drop their last names if they are too controversial/problematic, is letting Tina Burner keep her name. Fascinating.

Let's just say they are VERY protective of the brand and the show. I have had many a phone call with their publicists.

topaz

I have my favorites. I am cheering for both Chicago Queens - Denali and Kahmora Hall. Yet, I adore Gottmik, Utica Queen and Kandy Muse. Elliott is a underdog and he may be the dark horse of the season.

I like Symone too. Symone has tons of charisma and star quality. Rose and Tina Burner are already irritating me. Olivia Lux is adorable.

Lemonade20

It’s too early for me but so far I’m really impressed with the first episode!

all_empty

I actually thought the first episode was average.

I miss the celebrity judges; I know it was filmed during the pandemic (some bigger name stars will appear later in the season) but it needed some star power.

So in full disclosure, because of my job, there are things I can and cannot discuss.

However, I've had multiple interactions with the queens now and here are my faves:

Olivia Luz: Just a dazzling personality through and through
Symone: Funny as hell
Gottmik: Smart and funny

Surprisingly:

Kandy Muse: Kinda flat every time I spoke with her (she admitted she was drinking though lol)
Denali: Also a bit more subdued but I'll always root for a skating queen
Tamisha Iman: I highly respect this queen and cancer survivor but there's this sad energy about her
Kahmora Hall: Charming and beautiful

Didn't win me over:

Utica Queen: Nervous almost spastic energy even while not taping. Love her creativity though.
Tina Burner: I love an insult queen but she can be borderline abrasive. Visually reminiscent of Sherry Pie without the polish.
The rest: generic and interchangeable

Lemonade20

I actually thought the first episode was average.

I miss the celebrity judges; I know it was filmed during the ********* (some bigger name stars will appear later in the season) but it needed some star power.

So in full disclosure, because of my job, there are things I can and cannot discuss.

However, I've had multiple interactions with the queens now and here are my faves:

Olivia Luz: Just a dazzling personality through and through
Symone: Funny as hell
Gottmik: Smart and funny

Surprisingly:

Kandy Muse: Kinda flat every time I spoke with her (she admitted she was drinking though lol)
Denali: Also a bit more subdued but I'll always root for a skating queen
Tamisha Iman: I highly respect this queen and cancer survivor but there's this sad energy about her
Kahmora Hall: Charming and beautiful

Didn't win me over:

Utica Queen: Nervous almost spastic energy even while not taping. Love her creativity though.
Tina Burner: I love an insult queen but she can be borderline abrasive. Visually reminiscent of Sherry Pie without the polish.
The rest: generic and interchangeable
You’re so lucky! Imagine being able to meet the entire cast! It doesn’t surprise me that people can be different from being on-camera.

antmanb

Whoever produced this apparent three weeks of nothing but building up the drama and forming 'sides' is super lame. This is really dragging on.
SO. Much. This.

Let's have a pointless lip synch were literally no-one leaves the show, and you can't believe for a minute that they didn't know - if you thought you only lip synched at the end would you definitely have all the words down?

And we the audience are supposed to believe that it wasn't until they were getting ready to go on the final main stage that Eliott told them what happened?

I can't cope with two shows running simultaneously so might give this one up to watch the UK one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information