RPDR Season 13

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
SO. Much. This.

Let's have a pointless lip synch were literally no-one leaves the show, and you can't believe for a minute that they didn't know - if you thought you only lip synched at the end would you definitely have all the words down?

And we the audience are supposed to believe that it wasn't until they were getting ready to go on the final main stage that Eliott told them what happened?

I can't cope with two shows running simultaneously so might give this one up to watch the UK one.
Yeah, I think the fact that they all knew the words was a huge sign. We always see them listening to the songs backstage just prior to the lipsyncs, but you’re going to try to tell me that all 13 of them came prepared with their songs in the 5 minutes they had after entering the workroom?

These are all superfans that know there was no way in hell that 6 queens all got eliminated in show #1. Since all of the big revelations and ‘serious’ talk happens at the exact same point each show (doing makeup), I don’t have any doubt that they are pushed by producers to talk about certain things. That was the first time any of them asked Elliott what happened? Please. They probably asked the minute she appeared in the workroom.

Anyways, all these pointless episodes letting us ‘get to know’ them really is just building up the drama so Ru can swoop in and act like she doesn’t understand why it’s happening and can once again save the day with her preaching.

mackiecat

I’m kind of wondering if they needed to keep 2 pods for COVID reasons in the beginning due to the number of contestants.

tony

I’m kind of wondering if they needed to keep 2 pods for ********* reasons in the beginning due to the number of contestants.
I would think no simply because they were forced to quarantine prior as well. They filmed right around the same time that Big Brother started, and that had the full 16-person cast in a house.

I think because of the last-minute disqualification, they had an extra 'week' to figure out on top of trying this getting to know them or whatever it is. They are told what the challenges are ahead of time (to which detail, I don't know, but enough to plan their outfits).

all_empty

I liked how they did it in S6, when they had one group in episode 1 and episode 2. I did feel bad for the queens who got cut right away but that's how it goes.

Unfortunately (major but predictable spoiler)
I've heard there's no elimination in episode 3
so things will continue to feel drawn out.

I don't know if the two groups were separately podded in the hotel (I doubt it, because production didn't know who would win each lip sync, plus the odd number of contestants). And even if they were, all the crew is the same.

They are told roughly what outfits to bring (i.e. bring a sporty outfit, a latex outfit) but not the specific challenges.

FiveRinger

I liked how they did it in S6, when they had one group in episode 1 and episode 2. I did feel bad for the queens who got cut right away but that's how it goes.

Unfortunately (major but predictable spoiler)
I've heard there's no elimination in episode 3
so things will continue to feel drawn out.

I don't know if the two groups were separately podded in the hotel (I doubt it, because production didn't know who would win each lip sync, plus the odd number of contestants). And even if they were, all the crew is the same.

They are told roughly what outfits to bring (i.e. bring a sporty outfit, a latex outfit) but not the specific challenges.
I’m about over it.
I’m probably not watching another episode until they start eliminating.
This has gotten boring.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m finally caught up. If the producers want us to love the PCC (Pork Chop Crew), they’re doing a good job. Too many bitches in the “winners“ group.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I’m finally caught up. If the producers want us to love the PCC (Pork Chop Crew), they’re doing a good job. Too many bitches in the “winners“ group.
Yes!!! I don’t know why I’m more drawn to the PCC! Bigger personalities?

antmanb

I'm just already bored of the contradictory messages in the judging. Sometimes things that are too costume-y are bad, unless they like the queen in which case yay costumes. Or quirky is bad unless they like the queen in which case oh they're so individual and different and they're so excited to see what they will bring.

Or you have to have a strong brand and be true to yourself, unless they don't like it and they want more versatility and to water down your brand :rolleyes:

And having the pork chop queens is just another way for Rupaul to pretend he's a psychotherapist and talk about inner sabatoooooooooeeeeeeuuuuuuurs and their feelings about being second best, blah blah blah.

But the queens themselves i'm liking a lot :D

FiveRinger

Night of 1000 Meryls

I don’t know how many of you have seen Prom on Netflix, but, regardless of the reviews, I loved it. I’ll watch anything with Meryl Streep. I had no idea where to post this. But since it’s RPDR adjacent I’ll leave it here.

Anyway, this is a lip sync done by many of our favorite RPDR queens, each of them playing a different Meryl Streep character from her iconic roles. It was produced by Netflix, which is where the movie can be seen in full. The song is one sung by Streep in the movie. This has got to be the ultimate homage that a drag queen can give to a legend. I hope she’s seen it.

I have got to say that there are some surprises (Kim Chi in a way we’ve never seen her). Manila is everything. Jinks played her favorite character ever. Ive watched it countless times since yesterday. And of course, I live for the comments section.

This video has made up for episodes 1-3 season 13 of RPDR all by itself.

Lemonade20

Night of 1000 Meryls

I don’t know how many of you have seen Prom on Netflix, but, regardless of the reviews, I loved it. I’ll watch anything with Meryl Streep. I had no idea where to post this. But since it’s RPDR adjacent I’ll leave it here.

Anyway, this is a lip sync done by many of our favorite RPDR queens, each of them playing a different Meryl Streep character from her iconic roles. It was produced by Netflix, which is where the movie can be seen in full. The song is one sung by Streep in the movie. This has got to be the ultimate homage that a drag queen can give to a legend. I hope she’s seen it.

I have got to say that there are some surprises (Kim Chi in a way we’ve never seen her). Manila is everything. Jinks played her favorite character ever. Ive watched it countless times since yesterday. And of course, I live for the comments section.

This video has made up for episodes 1-3 season 13 of RPDR all by itself.
What?!?!? That’s awesome!!

Aceon6

Last night’s episode was predictable with the producers fanning the flames of the Eliott situation. The video editors may not have received the memo, though, as even a casual look at what was going on in the background in the werkroom looks more like normal interactions among people who are super grateful to have a gig.

Ms. Sashay certainly didn’t do herself any favors rehearsing with Ross for the acting challenge. Methinks her hearing isn’t as sharp as others. I prefer to think it might be a hearing problem, as thinking someone was so dumb as to ignore Ross’ advice would mean she shouldn’t have been cast in the first place.

ETA, and Candy can sashay anytime for me. Something about her mumble mouth shade really rubs me the wrong way.

Lemonade20

Last night’s episode was predictable with the producers fanning the flames of the Eliott situation. The video editors may not have received the memo, though, as even a casual look at what was going on in the background in the werkroom looks more like normal interactions among people who are super grateful to have a gig.

Ms. Sashay certainly didn’t do herself any favors rehearsing with Ross for the acting challenge. Methinks her hearing isn’t as sharp as others. I prefer to think it might be a hearing problem, as thinking someone was so dumb as to ignore Ross’ advice would mean she shouldn’t have been cast in the first place.

ETA, and Candy can sashay anytime for me. Something about her mumble mouth shade really rubs me the wrong way.
I think she heard the words but didn’t hear the emphasis Ross tried to show. Candy is starting to irritate me too. Just the way she acts, you can tell she is the mean girl in the group.

tony

I like Kandy. I don't mind the big personalities typically. I don't really have any opinions yet but the first chop was obvious from miles away after the time they spent on her home situation last week. I actually think the general order of elimination is somewhat obvious already.

And Ross could've done a lot more to explain the emphasis of the words rather than repeating himself 50 times when she clearly wasn't getting it. Maybe he did in an edited bit, but I still think it was obvious she didn't understand.

I used to really like Jeffrey but after his hosting gig last year, his acting and delivery is always so OTT and ridiculous.

Lemonade20

I like Kandy. I don't mind the big personalities typically. I don't really have any opinions yet but the first chop was obvious from miles away after the time they spent on her home situation last week. I actually think the general order of elimination is somewhat obvious already.

And Ross could've done a lot more to explain the emphasis of the words rather than repeating himself 50 times when she clearly wasn't getting it. Maybe he did in an edited bit, but I still think it was obvious she didn't understand.

I used to really like Jeffrey but after his hosting gig last year, his acting and delivery is always so OTT and ridiculous.
Jeffrey tries so hard but it’s impossible for anyone to take him seriously. I know it’s about being campy but his delivery is just painful

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I don't like Kandy attitude overall, why blaming Elliott??? why the shade to her? girl! and her look on the runway was pathetic she was again lucky she delivered in the acting challenge otherwise bottom 2 again

Denali OMG!!! I LOVE IT!!! She gave me life!!!!

mackiecat

How was Kandy in the top 3. Her look was dead last. Yes she was funny in acting challenge but was not the best. Gottmik was one of the best in acting and had a great runway. I know it is just a Ru picking but really !

Aceon6

How was Kandy in the top 3. Her look was dead last. Yes she was funny in acting challenge but was not the best. Gottmik was one of the best in acting and had a great runway. I know it is just a Ru picking but really !
I expect Kandy and/or Tina to be in the top 3 a lot, just to spread the drama.

mackiecat

I enjoyed last night show. Lots of creativity in the 1st and 3rd ball runways but I found the 2nd one a bit pedestrian. Still don’t like Kandy Muse!

Lemonade20

I enjoyed last night show. Lots of creativity in the 1st and 3rd ball runways but I found the 2nd one a bit pedestrian. Still don’t like Kandy Muse!
Gottmick, oh my!!!!! The fashion!!!! She's becoming my favourite now!

Aceon6

I don’t understand the 2nd one either. The brief was rich executive and most gave perfectly acceptable Anna Wintour-ish interpretations. They should have just skipped it or briefed in a way that might take it to left field. The ‘net is gagging on this week’s Untucked. I guess I should watch it.

tony

I don’t understand the 2nd one either. The brief was rich executive and most gave perfectly acceptable Anna Wintour-ish interpretations. They should have just skipped it or briefed in a way that might take it to left field. The ‘net is gagging on this week’s Untucked. I guess I should watch it.
I’ll summarize it: Kandy gives unwanted nasty criticism to one of the other safe queens, only to have it done to her when the top/bottom queens come backstage. Of course she flies off the handle for a good 5 minutes, goes outside, a bee or some insect distracts her from her anger, and she comes back to half-apologize, only to blow up again early next week when they get back to the workroom.

I'd put money on Kandy and Tamisha having to lip sync at one point-- they are sure building that up.

Aceon6

I’ll summarize it: Kandy gives unwanted nasty criticism to one of the other safe queens, only to have it done to her when the top/bottom queens come backstage. Of course she flies off the handle for a good 5 minutes, goes outside, a bee or some insect distracts her from her anger, and she comes back to half-apologize, only to blow up again early next week when they get back to the workroom.
Thanks for saving me the time. Since I really don’t care about her, that’s 30 minutes to devote to something worthwhile.

Lemonade20

Apparently Kandy Muse is getting a lot of hate on Reddit. They're starting to harass her mom too.

tony

To be honest, I've been over the show for a while and especially since The Vixen reunion incident a few years ago. The production team and Rupaul herself set the queens up to instantly hate each other, and this year it was built up over the course of four episodes by not only having a losing team vote someone out based on nothing, but keeping them separated and throwing that person to the other team. Of course there are sides now, and of course there was drama from the beginning.

She knows part of her fandom is toxic all over social media (not her fault), yet still builds this shit up and airs all the most dramatic moments so that those losers can go verbally harass family members and the queens themselves. Then sometime later this season, Ru will have some maxi challenge or the deep talk with the queens about everyone saying love and getting along and representing drag. No, sorry Ru.

Aceon6

@tony I tend to agree. I still enjoy parts of the show and will fast forward as needed. Sometimes, I just watch the brief and the runway. It’s better for my mental health.

Lemonade20

@tony I tend to agree. I still enjoy parts of the show and will fast forward as needed. Sometimes, I just watch the brief and the runway. It’s better for my mental health.
Agreed, Ru Paul has a successful formula but it has gotten more toxic in every new season

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information