Royalty Thread #9. Welcome Archie, the red headed heir, don’t care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Terribly sorry to have wasted your time with another article about a previously reported topic, and yet, you felt the need to not only quote me, but go on and on for two more paragraphs.

Terribly sorry you see fit to take offense. None intended. I offered additional information along with the @sussexroyal post. Here's more from Omid Scobie, etc:

As one of the commenters on the latter tweet notes:
"Wow she truly is an amazing woman. Getting blasted by some ... with their continuous negative narrative and she is carrying on shining a positive light."

Surely critical conversations about the Sussexes and the institution of the British royal family can be instructive or insightful if they are based upon actual substantive and informed points of view that aren't bound up in petty negativity, and/or biased attitudes, resentment and jealousy.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
No. It is really rather famous. Lime Ascot opening day or the Derby. It is called appropriate attire..

No, it's not famous. I think most people know that "appropriate attire" at Ascot or the Derby means e.g. tailcoats and top hats for the men and smart dresses with hats for the ladies. I doubt most people could describe Wimbledon's dress code, at least the dress code for the private boxes.

RoseRed

No, it's not famous. I think most people know that "appropriate attire" at Ascot or the Derby means e.g. tailcoats and top hats for the men and smart dresses with hats for the ladies. I doubt most people could describe Wimbledon's dress code, at least the dress code for the private boxes.
But anyone who follows tennis much would probably know that there is a dress code at Wimbledon for members. Which one could then check. It's not exactly a secret that Wimbledon is all fancy.

ballettmaus

I don't really know why there needs to be a dress code to begin with (I mean, it's a tennis match and not a fashion show. I would assume one goes to a tennis match to watch what happens on the court and not what anyone in the stands is wearing) but Meghan isn't "most people". Whether she likes it or not, she chose to accept Harry's proposal and become royalty and there are certain rules to go by. Now, I don't think anyone would (or should) expect her to know all the rules and protocols this soon after her marriage and certainly not when she's just had a baby but that's what her assistants are for. If she chooses not to ask and/or have someone like a stylist (who would most definitely know what to wear when) then she has to live with the criticism.

Reactions: mag

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Terribly sorry you see fit to take offense. None intended.
This is one of the most illogical post I've seen. Of course you meant to offend. That's why you attack posters. And post in word count that rivals War and Peace in length. You seem to believe the more words you post, the more it makes you right. Not true.

Look I'm a fan of Meghan, but you take fandom to a whole new uber level.

She made a big fashion error. It's not jealousy to point it out. I say this as a fan of Meghan. There is criticism by people that I think is silly and wrong, and all though I liked her in jeans, this was a big mistake.

aftershocks

Banned Member
This is one of the most illogical post I've seen. Of course you meant to offend. That's why you attack posters. And post in word count that rivals War and Peace in length. You seem to believe the more words you post, the more it makes you right. Not true.

Look I'm a fan of Meghan, but you take fandom to a whole new uber level.

She made a big fashion error. It's not jealousy to point it out. I say this as a fan of Meghan. There is criticism by people that I think is silly and wrong, and all though I liked her in jeans, this was a big mistake.

Uh okay, you can read minds, and Meghan "made a big fashion error," and though you "liked her in jeans, this was a big mistake." :drama: It's certainly the narrative that some quarters of the media want the public to believe.

But the world is a big place, and most people who are interested in what truly matters in life don't get bogged down in the kind of petty nonsense that tabloids and royal reporters with axes to grind enjoy spewing for clickbait consumption, or for purposeful distraction from more troubling stories they prefer not to examine too deeply.

MsZem

I see the sea
Uh okay, you can read minds, and Meghan "made a big fashion error," and though you "liked her in jeans, this was a big mistake." :drama: It's certainly the narrative that some quarters of the media want the public to believe.
Venues and hosts can set a dress code, and it is the responsibility of those who visit to adhere to this code. This applies to Meghan attending Wimbledon, just as it does to me if I go to the opera, or a church, or a wedding.

But the world is a big place, and most people who are interested in what truly matters in life don't get bogged down in the kind of petty nonsense that tabloids and royal reporters with axes to grind enjoy spewing for clickbait consumption, or for purposeful distraction from more troubling stories they prefer not to examine too deeply.
What a textbook example.

attyfan

IMO, the British royal family has more important things to worry about than a fashion faux pas:

Jenny

From the Bloc
I wonder when some people will finally realize that Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex is a laid-back, savvy, smart, classy lady with genuine heart. This doesn't mean she's perfect, but she does know how to focus on what's important and get the job done, while taking time to give thanks for her blessings and help uplift others. She does not sweat the small stuff nor the noise from detractors. I learned this about her as soon as I went to the source:

Speeches are often written by speechwriters, or at the least, vetted by them, then rehearsed to ensure that the speaker is projecting the image desired. Venues for giving speeches are also carefully vetted to ensure that it's an appropriate context and a friendly audience. Media interviews are negotiated by publicists, rules are set, the interviewee is often professionally trained, and again, at the least, prepped for that particular interview with messages, supporting stories, how to deal with unwanted questions, and how to present oneself.

And let's also remember that before any of this, Meghan was an actress.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
overedge said: Apparently only one person posting on this thread has done "extensive research and reading over many years" on the topics they are discussing. Who knew that everybody else's opinions were so ill-informed :rolleyes:

That my extensive research and reading makes you claim everyone else's opinions aren't up to par is laughable. But if you feel that way, hmmm...

You knew overedge's post was sarcasm as your post below was too.

Pot
kettle
black!

I hope your 'nap' led to some sweet dreams for you Jenny. :saint: Perhaps you dreamt of royal toddlers and tiaras. :lol: An excellent new thread title suggest by Zemgirl.

Ania

Meghan guest-edits a star-studded, female-led British Vogue
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/duchess-meghan-british-vogue-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

I haven’t bought Vogue in years, but I am looking forward to this one.

Give me a break.

Why? I'm not @mag but I struggle to understand your response. Care to elaborate?
I have never bought Vogue in my life, but I'm also looking forward to this issue. Is there something you find problematic in this?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Kate looks great in red. I don't follow tennis and I'm not British so the only thing I remembered about Wimbledon is that people ate strawberries (because I love strawberries)

So I read (skimmed really) the very very very long article on wikipedia titled entitled "The Championships, Wimbledon". The competition is impressive. The sport is impressive.
I tend to find the analysis of Ellis Cashmore (whom I have never heard of before) somewhat convincing.
If I were ever at Ascot, I'm afraid I might get too excited and behave like Eliza Doolittle.

Eliza actually behaved very well at Ascot Opening Day.

Wimbledon is the oldest and most prestigious tennis tournaments in the world. Rules, Tradition and Decorum are strictly adhered to. Proper comportment is a nod to and expression of what the event is, the exceptional careers of the players who play there, and to all the people who make it all happen from ball boys to groundsmen.

Megan's jeans were a poke in the eye to a rather fabulous annual event.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't normally read Vogue but this issue sounds amazing. There are so many women featured who I would want to read more about.

Lorac

I won't be buying Vogue - but not because Meghan edited it but because I find Vogue, Cosmopolitan and magazines of that ilk are approx. 60% adverts for stuff I would never ever buy. I am also not much of a fashionista so the approx. 50% of the remaining 40% would be of no relevance to me either. I'm sure the articles and/or interviews done of the women on the cover will be informative but I am only interested in 4 or 5 of them - not enough for me to cough up the price of the magazine.

JJH

@AxelAnnie rewatch My Fair Lady from "Ascot Gavotte" through Eliza's very human shouting reaction to a later race: "Come on, Dover! Move your bloomin' arse!"

Ascott Gavotte gives an excellent send-up of decorum and proper comportment.

skatesindreams

canbelto

And to take this royal thread in a very different direction, here's a troubling article about how the Saudi royal family handles critics and dissidents:

aftershocks

Banned Member
aftershocks said:

What a textbook example.

Hmmm, and I suppose you think yourself and other negative nancy commenters in this thread are exempt from your linked 'example'. :drama:

In any case, my words that you quoted don't have a great deal to do with the 'example' you linked. I was chiefly referencing how the tabloid media and some royal reporters focus on negative narratives and made-up punching bag stories about the Duchess of Sussex for the clicks, and sometimes to distract from more troubling stories that are more problematic to cover (in some cases stories involving other royals). I was also referring to the fact that the Sussexes seem to be confident and self-assured in who they are individually and as a couple. Their self-assurance empowers them to continue focusing their energies on giving back and trying to make a difference in the world through encouraging and lifting up others. Meghan and Harry are the perfect example of love-in-action, and of placing positive intention on the things that truly matter. This doesn't make them perfect, but it does make them admirable role models.

Of course on here as on many Internet venues, it's commonplace to see a bunch of egos battling. I mentioned that a few times on FSU so many years ago, that it's fairly old hat by now. And also ironic to see you citing something similar. I'm human, yes, so of course my ego gets involved in these back-and-forth brouhahas. If I was more evolved and smarter perhaps I would find a way to ignore most of the crap comments about Meghan in this thread and rise above. There is a reason why some posters avoid frequenting threads where petty arguments proliferate. As I posted in this thread awhile back, I need to reflect more on Mark Twain's cautionary wit regarding arguing. :p I have to check and see what Twain may have said about egos. I only see a reference he made to his alter ego as a writer. And about writiing in general, this Twain quote really resonates with me:
"I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead." :lol: A reference to how editing can be a time-consuming process. In my case, the short method and the long method are both endless!

It really is fascinating looking at some of the comments here, and all over the Internet by people who seem so triggered by the Duchess of Sussex. As I said, it's unfortunate that intelligent conversations and insightful debate are for the most part impossible to be had when discussing Meghan and Harry.

aftershocks

Banned Member
[You] post in word count that rivals War and Peace in length. You seem to believe the more words you post, the more it makes you right. Not true.

The bolded part is definitely, 'not true.' But since you bring it up, it is apparently your belief, not mine. As for the War & Peace analogy, great quip, albeit cliche. :D I'm simply long-winded and academic in trying to get my points across. Why that gets under your skin though, is your problem.

That I challenge the overly negative posts here, often by quoting some of the more OTT comments and calling them out, also appears to ruffle feathers. The part about me writing overlong posts is well known by now and news to no one. I often have a lot to say on subjects I'm passionate about. I admit my ego is surely involved in sharing my views, but I'm also speaking with honesty and passion. When detractors have their minds made up, it's probably useless and most likely unproductive to spend time trying to reasonably counter the negativity. It most certainly is exhausting. Whew! :shuffle: In my case, added to the situation are the usual suspects here who only have to see my user name for their hackles to rise. So be it, and to each their own. Perhaps there are a few unruffled people who are somewhat more understanding, but if not, at least I try to express my differing views vs the constant criticism targeting the Duchess of Sussex.

All the people so offended by my posts and offended by Meghan wearing jeans to Wimbledon, might want to find more important things to be offended by in the world, and maybe try to do something to effect change. Ah, myself included surely, because I was definitely offended to the point of incredulity, by the earlier way out comment by a poster in this thread claiming that, "Kate has better genes than Meghan." And btw, the commenter can't use the excuse of having been typographically confused with hating on Meghan's 'jeans'!

Anyway, trying to be a better person is definitely a challenge. I think that's part of what Meghan is attempting to convey in the September British Vogue issue that she guest-edited. I once quoted in this thread words of wisdom Meghan has previously espoused on her former Instagram: "Be the change you wish to see in the world." That's probably one of the reasons why she chose to have one box on the magazine cover appear as a mirror reflecting viewers' faces back to them. As a positive commenter on the Internet said about the upcoming magazine release:
"This project shows forethought and reflection... How profound to have a space that reflects the woman or person holding the issue. Because we all can do something to change this world for the better. Even if it’s in our community. Every little bit helps. I believe that’s how Meghan thinks. I applaud the fact that we have a woman with the global stage at her feet who does want to make a difference. Well done to Meghan. Let the haters hate Megs, they will always want to tear you down because your light casts shadows on them."

A behind-the-scenes video clip promoting the British Vogue issue, posted on @sussexroyal:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ff0ctlVYT/

In the video clip, I find this quote by New Zealand Prime Minister, Jessica Ardern, very apt and resonant: "What I've noticed over the course of my career, is just how polarized the world is now... A solution to that ultimately is coming back to the humanity that we all share."

canbelto

I like Marie's second dress the best. The first is nice too. The third is ... I never understood the appeal of mullet dresses.

mag

All the people so offended by my posts and offended by Meghan wearing jeans to Wimbledon, might want to find more important things to be offended by in the world,

If you are referring to me, I am in no way offended by Meghan wearing jeans. Meghan is a grown woman and can choose to wear whatever she likes whenever she likes and take the positive or negative consequences for her choice. I have raised two daughters and am unlikely to be offended by any form of dress. Furthermore, as you suggested, there are certainly more important things going on in the world.

What I do find interesting are some of the choices they have made. It is perfectly possible to respect, like, and/or love someone, disagree with their choices, and/or think they have done something colossally stupid.

Now I think the choice to guest edit the September issue of Vogue was a brilliant choice for Meghan. That doesn’t mean I will agree with everything in the issue and I may or may not comment on it. However, I am very unlikely to be offended by it. Again, lots of more important problems in the world.

MsZem

I see the sea
How many wedding outfits did she have? :wideeyes:
Well, different outfits for the civil and religious ceremonies isn't unusual. Likewise another outfit for the party after. Especially when you have loads of money ;)

Apparently Beatrice Borromeo had five different outfits when she married Louis's cousin Pierre Casiraghi back in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information