Royalty Thread #8.....A Pregnant Pause

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The Duchess of Cambridge is always on point. She's a lovely person and a wonderful mother. She's come a long way in improving her public speaking, which can be difficult for someone thrust into it without having had a lot of training and experience beforehand. She's always been poised, classy and articulate, but she's had to work on projecting her speaking voice and developing the confidence she now shows. I think she was a bit shy speaking in public when she first married, which doesn't take anything away from her cool personality and her wonderful strengths. Public speaking isn't easy. Diana PoW got better at it as she became more experienced too. It's nice to see Kate pushing forward with her charities. The initial idea for the young royals' mental health initiative and the Heads Together campaign was Kate's.

That's a gorgeous gown on Kate at the Gucci Women Finance Gala. It's very different with it's sheer layers and soft color blocking.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The Sussex baby is huge and still growing. Meghan's bump is bigger than it was only a few days ago at her last public appearance. She looks glowing and happy, despite all the noise in the media:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzO3LpgXQAIDRTF.jpg:large
http://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/

I would not be surprised if she's carrying twins. She got awfully big very fast for just one baby.

I'm glad to see the Sussexes' friends, as well as many prominent people speaking up on behalf of Meghan and against the awful media attacks and online trolling directed toward HRH Duchess of Sussex:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2019021267820/george-clooney-defends-meghan-markle/
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2019021167805/princess-tessy-supports-meghan-markle/

I was glad to see that too but this morning Samatha called George "looney Clooney". She's an ugly piece of work. She's probably been jealous of Meghan for years but now that she's a high-profile celebrity Samantha saw a way to use her for her own gain. I wish the tabloids would stop paying her & giving her a platform.

mag

I was glad to see that too but this morning Samatha called George "looney Clooney". She's an ugly piece of work. She's probably been jealous of Meghan for years but now that she's a high-profile celebrity Samantha saw a way to use her for her own gain. I wish the tabloids would stop paying her & giving her a platform.

I am not sure Meghan’s friends have done her any favours. Clearly it would be best if people and media could just not be jerks, but we seem to be a long way from that so how famous people and people of great privilege deal with the crazies is important. Meghan is famous and in a position of great privilege. That doesn’t mean she should be target, but it does mean she is going to need to figure out a way to live her life and ignore the peanut gallery. She is not the first, nor the last, to go through this. What is being said about her is not nice, but friends getting dramatic and making asinine comments like the stress could hurt her baby is only adding gasoline to the fire. By real world standards, Meghan’s stress does not even register on a stress scale and it is insulting to the many, many women out there who are pregnant, give birth, and raise families under much more stressful circumstances.

As for the comparisons to Diana, that too is crazy. Other than marrying into the British Royal family, there really are no similarities at all. To be blunt, Diana was not even alive at Meghan’s age. She had no post secondary education, she was engaged at 19 to the heir to the throne, she had no real career prior to having children, she was, by her own admission not terribly intellegent, she was raised in closed proximity to the royal family, and came from a long line of aristocrats. Add to that she suffered from two documented mental illnesses (eating disorder and post partum depression) and could quite possibly had more than that. Further, she was quite unsophisticated when she started dating Charles and was dressed by the ladies at Vogue for a number of years. She was also very much a darling of the press and courted the press a great deal especially when her marriage was breaking down and after the divorce. Only a week or so before her death she was teasing the press telling them something to the effect that they won’t believe what she is going to do next.

None of that sound at all like Meghan.

All of that said, I agree completely about Meghan’s sister. She is a nut job that Meghan and her friends would be best to just completely ignore.

Lorac

I would not be surprised if she's carrying twins. She got awfully big very fast for just one baby.

The speculation is certainly growing that Meghan is carrying twins due to the rapid growth of the bump. If she is both Meghan and Harry have done well to keep it quiet as all the time they refer to one baby not two and it would be easy to slip up in that regard. If it is one baby then I suspect the April 29th date that Meghan told a member of public is a decoy date to try to put the press off so when she goes into labour she can get to whichever hospital she is going to without alerting the press. I suspect the baby - if it is one - will be born sometime in March - mid to late.

I am not sure Meghan’s friends have done her any favours. Clearly it would be best if people and media could just not be jerks, but we seem to be a long way from that so how famous people and people of great privilege deal with the crazies is important. Meghan is famous and in a position of great privilege. That doesn’t mean she should be target, but it does mean she is going to need to figure out a way to live her life and ignore the peanut gallery. She is not the first, nor the last, to go through this. What is being said about her is not nice, but friends getting dramatic and making asinine comments like the stress could hurt her baby is only adding gasoline to the fire. By real world standards, Meghan’s stress does not even register on a stress scale and it is insulting to the many, many women out there who are pregnant, give birth, and raise families under much more stressful circumstances.

As for the comparisons to Diana, that too is crazy. Other than marrying into the British Royal family, there really are no similarities at all. To be blunt, Diana was not even alive at Meghan’s age. She had no post secondary education, she was engaged at 19 to the heir to the throne, she had no real career prior to having children, she was, by her own admission not terribly intellegent, she was raised in closed proximity to the royal family, and came from a long line of aristocrats. Add to that she suffered from two documented mental illnesses (eating disorder and post partum depression) and could quite possibly had more than that. Further, she was quite unsophisticated when she started dating Charles and was dressed by the ladies at Vogue for a number of years. She was also very much a darling of the press and courted the press a great deal especially when her marriage was breaking down and after the divorce. Only a week or so before her death she was teasing the press telling them something to the effect that they won’t believe what she is going to do next.

None of that sound at all like Meghan.

All of that said, I agree completely about Meghan’s sister. She is a nut job that Meghan and her friends would be best to just completely ignore.

I totally agree with you @mag. Meghan's 'friends' have done her few favours with their interviews - and if done with her permission I do wonder if Harry knew or was in agreement as he is very aware that feeding the press frenzy can do no good. After all it killed his Mother. And even though I admire George Clooney for much of his charity work I think he is way wrong with his comparison of Meghan to Diana for all the reasons you state.

However if Thomas Markel did release a copy of a private letter from Meghan that actually contradicts all his previous comments I don't see how he felt it would help the relationship between him and Meghan. It clearly shows he is all about how much money he can make and his other daughter is complicit in that. There is clearly lots of history there that has festered for years and Meghan's sister is ensuring she gets her moments in the spotlight. If she is ignored by both the MSM as well as Meghan's 'friends' then the lack of oxygen given to her and her comments will ensure she fades away. Unfortunately that may never happen unless Meghan tells her 'friends' to stop speaking to the press.

Reactions: mag
If Meghan Markle is carrying twins she’s the most comfortable looking of anyone I’ve ever known that’s ever had twins. Her belly has grown a lot but it’s supposed to at this stage of pregnancy. My due date is only a couple of weeks after her (or the date that was publicized anyway) and I don’t think she looks that big. There’s such a large spectrum of normal with so many aspects of pregnancy.

I get that it’s natural to speculate, but as a pregnant lady that struggles to be polite when random strangers comment on my belly and how big I am, or ask if I’m having twins, I wish people would just lay off Meghan when it comes to her pregnancy.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
@Lorac, I have to take issue with the statement that the media killed Diana. Yes, they hounded her but that high-speed chase was completely ridiculous & could not have happened if Diana &/or Dody hadn't urged the driver to speed like that. And why no seat belts?

Reactions: mag

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Went to Windsor Castle yesterday (again...3rd time in 12 months on one ticket purchase as it’s lovely and well, Valentine’s Day!)

What I didn’t know was that there was an exhibit of Meghan and Harry’s wedding outfits so it was exciting to see them along with George and Charlotte’s outfits from the day too.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I read the full newstand article in People, and I see nothing in it that is out-of-line from Meghan's friends. They were completely supportive toward Meghan and surely told the truth as they know it. There were a lot of positive, innocuous references to Meghan cooking for herself and Harry, and doing her own makeup and wardrobe styling, and taking care of her dogs, and hosting her friends with quality one-on-one time at Nott Cott, while Harry is also said to be taking good care of Meghan. One friend indicated that Meghan has always been royal in the graceful and gracious way she's interacted with people her entire life. The thrust of what her friends are saying is that Meghan herself has not changed, it's just the public perception of her that has gone haywire. And they are also saying Meghan married for love, not for royal perks, since she already had a successful and fulfilling life. Of course, the royal perks are nice, just as they come with a huge price. Meghan definitely made a lot of sacrifices out of love, and out of the desire to join with Harry in making a larger difference together with humanitarian projects and advocacy for good causes.

I think it's reaching to suggest that anything Meghan's friends said is at all damaging, especially in view of all the trolling and negativity that has been abounding. Anyone who thinks that the negative slams by the media and vicious online attacks are commonplace critiques royals must suffer, probably have not seen or read everything that's churning out there in a number of quarters. Most likely, Meghan and Harry are going about their business and they have not been directly informed of the worst negativity. But surely Meghan's friends, Harry friends, and royal staffers who deal with the media are aware of the extent of the negativity being directed toward Meghan. That's why KP made an announcement regarding how they don't have enough staff to monitor all of the trolling comments on their Twitter; and that's why Meghan's friends surely became concerned for her well-being and received the approval to speak out on her behalf.

Meanwhile, Meghan and Harry are carrying themselves with the same graciousness and outgoing charm they always have. So hopefully, there is a bubble around them of caring friends and royal family members, as well as Doria, who are all helping them through this ridiculous and disgusting storm. Unfortunately, it's not just the backbiting Markles, it's also the media who ratcheted up their negativity to an alarming degree immediately after the Sussexes' very successful South Pacific tour in October. There may have been some palace intrigue involved with leaks (perhaps by low-level staff who may have overheard things they then embellished) which the media latched onto with glee and began to run and gun with. It's to the point now where irresponsible tabloids are creating wild scenarios and character assassinations against the pregnant Duchess of Sussex, much of it stemming from or fueled by those initial, yet obviously unsubstantiated leaks.

For anyone who desires to downplay the severity of the negative attacks being directed toward a pregnant woman, please take note of these recent published commentaries, and maybe expand your perceptions:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...le-has-become-a-national-sport-that-shames-us
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...s-about-britain-world/?utm_term=.7a4a13c18c56

clairecloutier

That Washington Post opinion piece was very good. You have to wonder if, on some subliminal racist level, the attacks on Meghan may actually be further driven by her pregnancy. If people have conscious (or unconscious) issues with a black woman marrying into the royal family, the thought of a black heir to the throne (however relatively low down he/she will be in the line of succession) may bother them even more. And again, it may be on this subliminal level that they themselves don’t even fully understand. Which then causes a certain dislike of Meghan and a predisposition to look for negative things to say about her. It is really kind of hard to explain the attacks on her otherwise. SHE HASN’T DONE ANYTHING. So why can’t people leave her alone?

I think it’s time for the royal family to fast-forward into the 21st-century. Because of the custom that royalty don’t really talk much publicly, Meghan and Kate effectively become reduced to spokesmodels for the Royal Family, with all the focus on their clothes and hairstyles instead of who they really are and what they’re actually doing in their lives. In the absence of actual statements or interviews with them, the void gets filled with gossip, either positive or negative, plus an endless stream of commentary on their clothing—which in turn only raises the pressure on them to look perfect all the time. It’s all a bit :unsure:.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
That Washington Post opinion piece was very good. You have to wonder if, on some subliminal racist level, the attacks on Meghan may actually be further driven by her pregnancy. If people have conscious (or unconscious) issues with a black woman marrying into the royal family, the thought of a black heir to the throne (however relatively low down he/she will be in the line of succession) may bother them even more. And again, it may be on this subliminal level that they themselves don’t even fully understand. Which then causes a certain dislike of Meghan and a predisposition to look for negative things to say about her. It is really kind of hard to explain the attacks on her otherwise. SHE HASN’T DONE ANYTHING. So why can’t people leave her alone?

I think it’s time for the royal family to fast-forward into the 21st-century. Because of the custom that royalty don’t really talk much publicly, Meghan and Kate effectively become reduced to spokesmodels for the Royal Family, with all the focus on their clothes and hairstyles instead of who they really are and what they’re actually doing in their lives. In the absence of actual statements or interviews with them, the void gets filled with gossip, either positive or negative, plus an endless stream of commentary on their clothing—which in turn only raises the pressure on them to look perfect all the time. It’s all a bit :unsure:.
Oh my dear. She is not a "black woman" , she is of mixed race. She says herself she is not black enough to be black and not white enough to be white.

IMO people have a problem with her attitude. When she became a member of the royal family she accepted certain "rules" of comportment. Appropriate dress for the occasion, not crossing your legs in front of the queen, that messy top knot.

The biggest objection I saw is that she is a divorcee and not Anglican. Either of those could/should have been deal breakers.....not her skin tone.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Meanwhile, even as negativity against Meghan in some quarters continues unabated, it has been confirmed that HRH The Duchess of Sussex is spending time in New York City this week with friends who will be hosting a baby shower for her tomorrow in advance of her trip to Morocco this coming weekend with her husband (Feb 23-25):

https://twitter.com/scobie/status/1097584442095349767 Omid Scobie has good sources and he is usually accurate
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a26395121/meghan-markle-new-york-city-trip/
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...-markle-makes-surprise-trip-to-new-york-city/
https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-new-york-city-baby-shower/

The fascination by the media continues, as hopefully soon the OTT negativity will lessen. Here at least is a positive story about the caring demonstrated by the Sussexes in everything they do:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...deavour-find-awards-for-heartbreaking-reason/

It's kind of early for this type of news, but here it is nonetheless:
https://www.eonline.com/news/101588...ry-may-send-their-child-to-an-american-school

A new documentary on Princess Margaret:
https://www.pbs.org/program/margaret-rebel-princess/

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
How about the media let the baby be born first before sending it to school. :rolleyes:

:lol: Exactly. That was my first thought! But you know, the royal reporters and tabloids apparently are always scrambling for the next Sussex angle, even if they have to make things up.

We do not know what H&M's decisions will be until confirmed. It's even possible that the media is being thrown off the scent on purpose regarding the Sussex baby's due date so that whichever hospital is chosen, the Sussexes may be able to be whisked there before the media and the public have a chance to camp out.

When the location of the Sussexes' Cotswold's rental was discovered some weeks ago, photos were splashed all over the pages of the British tabloids and gossiped about on Page Six of the New York Post. The Sussexes have subsequently decided to terminate their lease on the property sooner than planned.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
So apparently Kind Mohammed of Morocco and Princess Lalla Salma have split. What makes this even more newsworthy is that Lalla Salma seems to have disappeared and has not been seen in any public capacity in over a year. She was not on hand for the Spanish royal visit and don't expect her to hang out with the Duchess of Sussex when she arrives in the kingdom, either.

So weird.

Speaking of Spanish royals, Queen Letizia is the best dressed royal yet again.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Queen Letizia is the best! She's so elegant and stylish:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/image...pain/0-342-41/queen-letizia-houndstooth-z.jpg Gorgeous :encore:
Same outfit with a short red overcoat:
https://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:145751197:1800x650:w?v=5c5c2c71&m=beibdhbo

That houndstooth pattern (in red & white) was also sported by the Duchess of Cambridge when she was still pregnant with Prince Louis:
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...7267.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

BTW, here's an interesting documentary on the Huit Denim Company in Wales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-C8V8NNlo
It chronicles how the company and the community were down on their luck economically, and how things turned around for them when the Duchess of Sussex visited Wales with Prince Harry ahead of their May wedding, wearing Huit Denim jeans:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content....jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=750&h=500&crop=1
https://people.com/royals/how-meghan-markles-jeans-are-helping-to-save-a-welsh-town/
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fa...45356/hiut-denim-meghan-markle-jeans-cardiff/

Last edited:

mag

I am shocked that there will be a baby shower. I assume it is more of a party to celebrate the soon to be born baby, rather than an actual shower of gifts. Royals do not generally have showers for obvious reasons.

@aftershocks I think you misunderstood when I said that I didn’t think Meghan’s friends did her any favours speaking to the press. I completely agree that much of the coverage of both Meghan and Kate is off the wall crazy as was some of the coverage of Diana (although I think social media has definitely amplified the effect for Kate and Meghan.) My point was/is that Meghan and Harry need to decide what their goal is. Do they want to spend their lives fighting against unsubstantiated BS claims and stories in the daily trash tabloids, or do they want to focus on living their lives, raising there child(ren), and making the world a better place through their charity work? If their goal is the latter, they, and their friends, are going to need to stop giving oxygen to the crazies. They could look to the Cambridges for a model. Kate was subjected to some terrible press when she first got together with William. Yes, they have had to fight the odd fight (nude photos taken in France) but for the most part they have got on with their lives. Kate is doing a lot more speaking at engagements, she has chosen patronages that have deep personal meaning for her and where she can make a big impact. There will always be haters, but I think the general sentiment is that she is making a difference in the lives of children. That she really cares and is working hard at her job.

Meghan is also speaking at engagements. Using her voice rather than just being a pretty face. That is a huge positive step. She too will find her stride with patronages that match her interests and area where she can make a positive difference. M&H have been married less than a year and are already on their way, but they are going to need time and space to develop their interests as a couple and to find patronages to match those interests. While they are doing that I truly believe they are going to need to let the noise go. Meghan is not a hot house flower who needs protecting. She appears to be a tough, intellegent, strong willed person. She made it in Hollywood, she can weather any storm whipped up by the press and her crazy family. I think it is insulting and patronizing for anyone, including Harry, to think that she needs protecting. Even if those thoughts come from a good place, they are both not helpful and deny Meghan agency. She is not a child. She is full grown human being who is more than capable of looking after herself.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
A Shower? Really? That is nuts! That is simply bad taste, and bad optics. Who is advising them? (I ask again).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information