Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

quartz

scratching at the light
She wore jeans and was eviscerated for it. In 2019.
And now that you’ve told me that, I will almost certainly not recall it again in two years when it may come up in conversation again. Everyday royal fashion is sort of an in the moment thing and then it’s on to the next shiny ball for me. ⚽:dog:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Its not 1921 anymore. Wimbledon is so stuffy and stiff. Someone needs to push the envelope a bit, why not Kate?
Have you been you Wimbledon? The traditions are part of what makes it special. Think hats at Kentucky Derby. Or Ascot opening day.

Parsley Sage

Kate is a patron of the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club (aka Wimbledon) so she was attending in that capacity, not just as a fan. I'm sure she will wear a summer frock or two next weekend for the finals.

A quick google search turned up lots of pictures of Kate in jeans but not a jean jacket.

btw, the blazer is by Canadian label Smythe and was first worn when Will and Kate flew to Canada for their first Royal tour in 2011.

Parsley Sage

I think the dress code for Wimbledon is different if you are sitting in the Royal Box.

About 30 years ago, I was visiting relatives in England. While I was there, they were going to meet their daughter's boyfriend's parents for the first time. My hostess was a bit stressed as she had heard that the boyfriend's mother was wearing the dress she had worn to Ascot. My hostess and I wore nice summer frocks and afterwards we both thought we were better dressed than the boyfriend's mother.

puglover

Well..yeah..duh. the point of the statue is to remember her...as we knew her.
I thought they went for a slightly older and more mature Diana than the one we knew and loved. There was an attempt to acknowledge the woman she would have become had tragedy not struck. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder whether they hit it out of the park or not but the important thing is whether her loved ones are pleased with it and feel it does her justice.

Last edited:

canbelto

A big part of the Diana look was her big eyes and warm smile. The statue makes her eyes and face look rather dour.

AxelAnnie

I thought they went for a slightly older and more mature Diana than the one we knew and loved. There was an attempt to acknowledge the woman she would have become had tragedy not struck. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder whether they hit it out of the park or not but the important thing is whether her loved ones are pleased with it and feel it does her justice.
Could be. Do we know anyone who could ask them?

puglover

Could be. Do we know anyone who could ask them?
Nope! I am assuming just like everyone else. I expected the young, beautiful, laughing, animated Diana we see so often with her two boys. As that is not how she is portrayed, I could see reason in striking a balance between that and the more mature woman she would have become. Not sure "mature" is the right word, I just can't really think of a suitable word.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Nope! I am assuming just like everyone else. I expected the young, beautiful, laughing, animated Diana we see so often with her two boys. As that is not how she is portrayed, I could see reason in striking a balance between that and the more mature woman she would have become. Not sure "mature" is the right word, I just can't really think of a suitable word.
I think they're trying to remember her much closer to when she passed away. That picture looks like it was taken fairly recently before her untimely death and it probably means a lot more to the brothers.

AxelAnnie

Oh goodness. I’m working class and my wardrobe is from thrift stores. Do I look fancy and upscale to you?? They wouldn’t let me in the gate! :lol:
I have no doubt you could rise to the occasion! :cheer2::glamor::gallopin1
I think they're trying to remember her much closer to when she passed away. That picture looks like it was taken fairly recently before her untimely death and it probably means a lot more to the brothers.
Well....close to how she looked before she was killed? Um......she was gorgeous, young and vibrant at the time she died.

MsZem

I see the sea

ballettmaus

Kate in a green summer frock for the Wimbledon Ladies Final today.

I have to say, this is one time I feel sorry for the guys. Can't be fun having to go to a tennis game wearing a suit jacket and tie.

I like Kate's dress, though.

Parsley Sage

Kate always looks amazing! There's no colour she can't wear.
Just like the Queen.

Today's frock is light pink and she brought her father as her plus one as William is cheering on the local soccer team.

quartz

scratching at the light
I have to say, this is one time I feel sorry for the guys. Can't be fun having to go to a tennis game wearing a suit jacket and tie.

I like Kate's dress, though.
Suits and ties always look not fun. So stiff and confining. If I were a guy I’d be complaining constantly.
Kate looks great in green, especially with her gorgeous hair. So wish I had those luxe raven tresses,

Parsley Sage

Suits and ties might be more uncomfortable but dress codes are usually clearer for men than they are for women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information