Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky

You know, if that's true I'm sure these ancestors would be impressed by, and proud of, Meghan and Doria.

But this wasn't the point. Meghan's ancestors are dead, she is the one who has to deal with articles like that and she was certainly not impressed. The way it was written was downright annoying with social climber written all over the text. Did they also track down Kate's genealogy?

Lorac

But this wasn't the point. Meghan's ancestors are dead, she is the one who has to deal with articles like that and she was certainly not impressed. The way it was written was downright annoying with social climber written all over the text. Did they also track down Kate's genealogy?

Yes they did. Here's one link of the numerous articles published at the time of her marriage. This one looks at the maternal line which shows she is has ancestors who were pure working class and worked as miners in some instances. This caused some pretty nasty comments to be written about Kate and was partly what lead to some of the nasty stuff said about her Mother and her family - about them being social climbers etc.

Kate Middleton's Family Tree

Reactions: mag

MsZem

I see the sea
But this wasn't the point. Meghan's ancestors are dead, she is the one who has to deal with articles like that and she was certainly not impressed.
It may not have been their point, but I am not obliged to follow the tabloid narrative of Meghan's life and I think my take on it is much better. I hope she can feel proud of what she's accomplished so far, too.

Husky

Now I don’t live in the UK so it is quite possible I am not aware of some of it.
Neither do I. Tabloids are not neccessarily fiction it's more about celebrity/pictures. I know that the british yellow press is the most aggressive but I think they crossed a line.
Yes they did. Here's one link of the numerous articles published at the time of her marriage. This one looks at the maternal line which shows she is has ancestors who were pure working class and worked as miners in some instances. This caused some pretty nasty comments to be written about Kate and was partly what lead to some of the nasty stuff said about her Mother and her family - about them being social climbers etc.

Kate Middleton's Family Tree

These articles are tame. And I was always talking about articles, not comments. Social media is sth. else.

Lorac

Neither do I. Tabloids are not neccesarily fiction it's more about celebrity/pictures. I know that the british yellow press is the most aggressive but I think they crossed a line.

These articles are tame. I was talking about articles, not comments.

You asked if people had dug up Kate's Genealogy and I answered they had. Feel free to go search for the articles if all you're looking for is dirt!!

MsZem

I see the sea
More on Kate's ancestors here:
Much has been made, in the many weeks leading to the royal wedding, and the many years since the press began speculating about the possibility of one, of the fact that, in marrying Kate Middleton, Prince William would make a "commoner" his queen. But it is only when one revisits the places that made some of her immediate family that one appreciates quite how common is common.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Keeping 30% as a fundraiser! Wow...I wouldn't donate to a charity with that much overhead, or at least I hope I haven't in the past!

Sigh...I'm pro H&M but not anti anyone here. William must find this terribly isolating, although honestly, I think this is best for the long run.

I wonder if some of the urgency for H&M isn't a desire to have a 2nd child and the need to lower daily stress levels ASAP since she's in her late 30s.

mag

These articles are tame. And I was always talking about articles, not comments. Social media is sth. else.

And the one about Meghan isn’t? It is positively glowing (as it should be) about what an amazing heritage she has. How hard her ancestors have worked to get where she is today. The article also points out the discrimination and racism they have all faced over the years and the racism embedded in the American system. The article ends with the following:

“Ms Markle — possibly the future Duchess of Sussex — need have no worries about living up to the ancient blueblood line of the Windsors.”

This is why people are getting rightly annoyed when statement such as “The press is always racist!” “They all hâte Meghan because of her race!” Get thrown around indiscriminately. There was a professor on a morning show doing that the other day. Her whole argument was basically everything is racist and you can’t possible understand and it is not our job to explain it to you. Okay then.

Yes there have been terrible things said. Every single person I have heard on a British talk show, even Piers Morgan (shocking, I know!) agree with that statement. No one that I can find has said there aren’t things that need to be work on. That continuing to call out and educate people about racism is important. None of that it minimized by the fact that there have been a ton of glowing articles and fawning press about the Sussexes and the fact that the Sussexes have made some poor judgements for which they have yet to own.

Furthermore, while other new members of the BFR have not been criticized for their race (because they have all been white) they have gone through similar hazing periods. It is not an apples to apples comparison because every situation is different. It should also not be a competition. Kate spent way more time in the public eye before marrying and getting public protection. Her actual hounding by the press was not something Meghan experienced because her courtship was quite short. That isn’t better or worse it is just different. Kate didn’t get racist stuff thrown at her because she is white. Again it is different. All of it is unacceptable and I don’t see any need to pitt one against the other.

Judy

And the one about Meghan isn’t? It is positively glowing (as it should be) about what an amazing heritage she has. How hard her ancestors have worked to get where she is today. The article also points out the discrimination and racism they have all faced over the years and the racism embedded in the American system. The article ends with the following:

“Ms Markle — possibly the future Duchess of Sussex — need have no worries about living up to the ancient blueblood line of the Windsors.”

This is why people are getting rightly annoyed when statement such as “The press is always racist!” “They all hâte Meghan because of her race!” Get thrown around indiscriminately. There was a professor on a morning show doing that the other day. Her whole argument was basically everything is racist and you can’t possible understand and it is not our job to explain it to you. Okay then.

Yes there have been terrible things said. Every single person I have heard on a British talk show, even Piers Morgan (shocking, I know!) agree with that statement. No one that I can find has said there aren’t things that need to be work on. That continuing to call out and educate people about racism is important. None of that it minimized by the fact that there have been a ton of glowing articles and fawning press about the Sussexes and the fact that the Sussexes have made some poor judgements for which they have yet to own.

Furthermore, while other new members of the BFR have not been criticized for their race (because they have all been white) they have gone through similar hazing periods. It is not an apples to apples comparison because every situation is different. It should also not be a competition. Kate spent way more time in the public eye before marrying and getting public protection. Her actual hounding by the press was not something Meghan experienced because her courtship was quite short. That isn’t better or worse it is just different. Kate didn’t get racist stuff thrown at her because she is white. Again it is different. All of it is unacceptable and I don’t see any need to pitt one against the other.

canbelto

I feel like racist attacks are different from other attacks because of the historical baggage behind them and also because race is the one thing you cannot change about yourself.

Also I feel like the racism was popping up in weird places. A KP Instagram post about Kate at Wimbledon shouldn't get flooded with racist trolls.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
An article from today's Globe and Mail newspaper with quotes from a security expert about how much it might cost for H&M's security in Canada, and why it would cost so much.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cool! The Downtown East Side is only 20 minutes away from me. I am sure the women she met with were both tickled and touched. If Megan could partner with an organization that serves the DTES, I'm sure her contribution would be highly valued.

I rarely click on the DM, so it's nice to see Meghan's Vancouver visit covered in a local outlet. I know this is speculation, but at least grounded in fair possibility: the way Meghan is standing in that picture and what she's wearing gives the distinct impression that she may be pregnant again.

Of course I could be wrong, but if she is pregnant again, they may not wish to make an announcement right away. I have felt all along that for a second pregnancy, there was no way Meghan was ever planning to remain solely in England enduring the constant shaming, backbiting, unfair criticism, and raking over the coals she received in the British tabloids during her first pregnancy. If she's going to be dragged continually amidst a second pregnancy, she will at least be far removed in more welcoming environs that are much nearer to her mother and to close friends. She deserves some peace of mind and refueling in a truly nurturing and supportive environment.

mag

I feel like racist attacks are different from other attacks because of the historical baggage behind them and also because race is the one thing you cannot change about yourself.

Also I feel like the racism was popping up in weird places. A KP Instagram post about Kate at Wimbledon shouldn't get flooded with racist trolls.

I think it is very sad when people who purport to be fans of Kate feel the need to spew hateful racist rhetoric. I feel fairly confident that it is not what what Kate’s want either.

As for racist attacks being different, I am white so I have no experience, but I believe you when you say they are. I am a woman, and I have experience some pretty awful things simply because I am a woman and I know a lot of men can’t or won’t understand that. My feeling is that we have to be careful about rating scales for hurt if the result is pitting people who are hurting against other people who are hurting while letting the perpetrators off the hook. White people do need to acknowledge their privilege as do all men, and white men really need to be taught from a young age to be aware of it. I had a discussion at a party over the holidays. There were a few people going on and on about “those lazy people on welfare” and other nastier stuff that I won’t repeat. Anyway, the crux of the complaint was that the complainers have a tough life so why shouldn’t “welfare bums” not suffer too. My point then, and I guess now, is that other people who are suffering are not your enemy. ETA: quite often what is criticized is something the person can’t change. That is true for more than just race.

Here is an interesting perspective on the whole situation:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Apparently Meghan's dad has now sold some text messages to Daily Mail:

The article is slanted that Meghan was being hateful in not asking about his health but at that time he had already gotten paid for leaking to the press. I have never blamed her for ghosting him. He just doesn't get it that he needs to shut up if he ever wants to see her again. He needs to show her that she can trust him.

canbelto

@mag I think a couple of things stand out in the across-the-board harassment of BRF members:

1) Women get it worse than men. Even Sophie (one of the most inoffensive of all BRF members) was mocked for ... idk what actually.

2) There's a huge disconnect between the fairly judicious royal reporting from the more serious news outlet and the trash rags. For instance the judicious outlets followed the Andew/Epstein story consistently. The trash rags focused on Meghan's belly or her post-baby body.

3) Blood family members seem to get a certain respect from the trash rags. For instance Harry's alarming comments about being triggered by flashbulbs doesn't get as much attention as Meghan's one comment about people asking her whether she's okay or not.

4) Many of the comments sections just need to be turned off. Some are trolls but I am starting to think more and more fo the really vile comments are bots designed to give sites more ad-clicks.

Judy

Apparently Meghan's dad has now sold some text messages to Daily Mail:

The article is slanted that Meghan was being hateful in not asking about his health but at that time he had already gotten paid for leaking to the press. I have never blamed her for ghosting him. He just doesn't get it that he needs to shut up if he ever wants to see her again. He needs to show her that she can trust him.

he’s awful. I read this article this morning. It’s obvious he sold that letter That they are suing over to the tabloids. You don’t get to choose your family and every family has a skeleton in their closet. He’s just a piece of work and I bet if we knew the whole story it would just be the start of It.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Keeping 30% as a fundraiser! Wow...I wouldn't donate to a charity with that much overhead, or at least I hope I haven't in the past!
That whole post was very misleading. It's not how these things work at all. There are different types of charities and different rules and laws in different countries and there is no law (or even just a rule - think IRS regulation in the US) that says "it's okay to take up to X% from the donations."

Some charities only put an extremely small percentage towards the actual mission of the charity. The rest is eaten up in administrative costs including salaries for paid employees. Other charities put a lot more towards the mission. They do this by using a lot of volunteers and minimizing paid staff and otherwise being frugal. As long as both charities report their finances correctly on their country's tax forms and follow the rules for their kind of charity, both situations are perfectly legal. It's up to the donator to do their homework and decide which charities deserve their $$$.

ETA you might be surprised @Coco. A lot of the bigger, more well-known charities put 70% or even less towards the actual charity. I try to only be involved with ones that put at least 80% towards the actual charity but it can be hard to find this info out sometimes.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Sigh...I'm pro H&M but not anti anyone here. William must find this terribly isolating, although honestly, I think this is best for the long run.

I wonder if some of the urgency for H&M isn't a desire to have a 2nd child and the need to lower daily stress levels ASAP since she's in her late 30s.

30% !!!!!!! you have GOT to be kidding me. I would be challenging that non-profit status. I was involved on the boards of several not for profit entities................we would have had to close if we took that kind of money out!

starrynight

I think it’s hard to judge a whole nation and everyone in it, young and old, by tabloids. I imagine it would be like saying that Fox News represents every USA citizen.

For example a lot of people just call the Australian edition of Daily Mail the ‘Daily Fail’.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
4) Many of the comments sections just need to be turned off. Some are trolls but I am starting to think more and more fo the really vile comments are bots designed to give sites more ad-clicks.

This is a huge problem in the media industry generally. Because budgets are so tight (allegedly, although the bosses/owners don't seem to be suffering), the companies will shell out for websites but not for enough staff to monitor the websites and take down offensive comments. Or even irrelevant comments that are just phishing, like "We have Versace sunglasses cheap http://piratespam.com"

There's also the philosophy that there will be more eyeballs on the site (=more ad exposure) if there are comments, and that interactive discussion contributes to broader perspectives, better understanding of the issues, etc. Personally I don't think this has worked out. The CBC website shut down all comments on stories about Aboriginal/First Nations issues because so many of the comments were so consistently vile.

Some companies use a comment-posting service like Disqus where the poster has to create an account, and theoretically the account is cancelled if the poster is offensive or a spammer. But using a service like that also costs money, and IMO most media companies just let the comments go because it's less hassle and it still makes them look responsive to their audiences.

Last edited:

mag

To change things up a bit. Here is a video of William and Kate’s engagement today. I love how William bangs the drum but is totally okay with not really having a lot of rhythm.

Husky

I am glad you mentioned it. I wondered myself:

If you take the DailyMail and go through a pile of these comments you will notice that a couple of postings from different accounts appear half an hour later again and even in the same order. And not only that but even followed by the same answers as above! How is this possible? At first bots came into my mind. But comments with the same answers? I rather suspect, that DM multiplies a part of these comments! Maybe to impress readers (and advertisers) with ridiculously high rates of comments "2.3k comments" by active social media members. This would be a harmless stunt. But I noticed the most inflammatory comments get multiplied. Now, explain this. What is going on here? :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information