Roman Kostomarov

On My Own

Some users here want to know what is happening and don't understand Russian.
You are free to use the ignore function on me or just stop reading this thread.
I'll ignore the thread, but you gotta admit, this is just kind of disrespectful from their media. TBH, whenever I see a new "update", I open it expecting to read news about his passing, but instead it's yet another real time update about what else has gone wrong.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I'll ignore the thread, but you gotta admit, this is just kind of disrespectful from their media. TBH, whenever I see a new "update", I open it expecting to read news about his passing, but instead it's yet another real time update about what else has gone wrong.
As I've said before: Roman Kostomarov is a very well-known celebrity in Russia.
If, let's say, Tiger Woods were in the same situation, we'd also get a lot of media coverage on everything that happens from the US media.

On My Own

If, let's say, Tiger Woods were in the same situation, we'd also get a lot of media coverage on everything that happens from the US media.
Well, if the US media also sucks that bad, then shame on them too.

Anyway, I'll come here a week later. I don't expect anything good for him anymore. Wish his family the best, and I hope he passes in peace.

Rina RUS

I know, I don't get why they're giving real time updates?

Why? It is because they want people to click on their articles.
Roman’s family doesn’t give “journalists” those “updates”, but the “journalists” get the “updates” by any means whatsoever. From some unnamed “sources”.
Some headlines are so disgusting, that it is even worse than just “real-time reporting”.

I think those who don’t want to participate in the bulling of Roman’s family, are better not to repost those “news”.
This is a sad situation. It is understandable that people wait for some news...
I think well-wishing people are able to think about feelings of Roman’s family, not only about getting something to repost.
I think well-wishing people are able to control the content of their own posts. This is what we can do.
(I’m sorry that I say it once again)

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Tiger Woods WAS badly injured a while back, and while there were a number of articles and posts about it, I don't remember updates going out every half hour on which body part was currently the most seriously affected.

Rina RUS

I don't remember updates going out every half hour on which body part was currently the most seriously affected.

Excuse me, if my words would be wrong, but as far as I remember the Princess Diana died because some wild journalists had been following her. It happened in so called “civilized” country.
I think those “journalists” were not better than these.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think it’s pretty simple that if you don’t want updates, don’t read the thread. You could always search out Google or other news outlets for the biggest news, surely that will have been translated to some English source.

Damar Hamlin was in cardiac arrest on the football field last month and people were glued to each and every small update given in that situation.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think it’s pretty simple that if you don’t want updates, don’t read the thread. You could always search out Google or other news outlets for the biggest news, surely that will have been translated to some English source.

Damar Hamlin was in cardiac arrest on the football field last month and people were glued to each and every small update given in that situation.
Well, yes, in the first few days, people were glued to each and every update,

tony

Well, yes, in the first few days, people were glued to each and every update,
And what if things started to eventually get worse for him? People would ignore most updates since some time had passed? Kostomarov’s situation seems to be getting worse by the day- those are the updates. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Still, it’s not all that difficult to avoid the thread and just search out other sources, especially if one is to come here and say they are expecting the absolute worst news every time they have to read through this.

On My Own

Still, it’s not all that difficult to avoid the thread and just search out other sources, especially if one is to come here and say they are expecting the absolute worst news every time they have to read through this.
Did something prevent you from directly quoting my post?

And is there some - good - reason you chose to drag the conversation after I already said I wouldn't be following updates from the thread anymore?

End it here. Thanks.

lisa_w

'have not been on this forum anymore for +10 years I think, but these terrible news brought me back for a moment.

Nothing to add to what has been already posted, it's an absolute nightmare and I feel very sorry for him, his family and everyone else close to him. Despite of not agreeing at all with the pro-Putin opinions visible on his social media, I do not wish a situation like that to anyone (of course including all the persons suffering from terrible injuries through war).

It's a crazy world where you from one moment to another worry for the life of a (relatively) young person who just before seemed (and probably was) completely fit and healthy. Just about one year ago we had the same (although the news surrounding the situation were less tragic) with former Hungarian gymnast Silvester Csollany, who was hospitalised in serious condition with covid. For a few weeks it was just hoping that things get better. Unfortunately for him they didn't. (Also here, I did not agree with some of his anti-Covid-vaccination social media posts, but you did not wish a situation like that to him and everyone close.)

Seeing the news from the last days I don't know what to wish to Roman and his close ones right now, just hope they will be able to cope with whatever arrives and the craziness of the, as posted before, "real time reporting" about all of this which unfortunately in nowadays world you can't seem to stop.

I know it's easier said than done, but it shows once again that you have to try living your life as you wish to do it today. Nobody promises that you can still do it tomorrow...

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
And what if things started to eventually get worse for him? People would ignore most updates since some time had passed? Kostomarov’s situation seems to be getting worse by the day- those are the updates. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sorry, I didn't realize it had hit "post reply" before I finished my thoughts. I think that the Hamlin story would have played out like many other horrific field of play incidents we've witnessed over the years where people are eager for updates in the first few days/week or so, but then interest fades and we definitely wouldn't be seeing the type of updates we're getting with Kostomarov. About the only people who get that sort of news coverage in the American media are Presidents, the Pope and the Queen/King of Great Britain. And I'm not even sure we'll get those type of constant updates when Charles III approaches the end of his life like we did with his mother, which is more because of the length of her reign than anything else.

Last edited:

tony

Did something prevent you from directly quoting my post?

And is there some - good - reason you chose to drag the conversation after I already said I wouldn't be following updates from the thread anymore?

End it here. Thanks.
You know, the conversation continued past your policing the thread comment so it didn't end there for others. It was a general observation made on my part, yet here you are still reading the thread that you said you weren't following anymore. I didn't quote you.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Tiger Woods WAS badly injured a while back, and while there were a number of articles and posts about it, I don't remember updates going out every half hour on which body part was currently the most seriously affected.
Trust me, there was a post every 5 minutes on golf twitter and on the various golf sites from the time he got pulled out of the car until he held his first presser. It got so bad that lawyers were brought in to shut a couple of “news people” down because of the wild speculation and worry that it would get back to his kids.

Bigbird

It seems like he's actually "traveling" and they don't want to let him go. IMHO the time has come for a priest or reverend to perform the last rights. It seems like his organs are all failing him. May God help his family. This feels like you're watching a lion mauling his prey and you're frozen unable to look away.

sjs5572

I truly hope he recovers and is able to live a decent quality of life. I also hope that he comes out of this with a newfound empathy.

Last edited:

Jayar

With regards to the media, this really is very similar to Nick Cordero. I followed his story because he and I knew a lot of the same people and I wanted to make sure that I was supporting my friends. The stories that were reported were ghastly, but honestly, I think it was important. So many people were ignoring what was really going on with regards to the illness that his case might have helped save some lives.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
With regards to the media, this really is very similar to Nick Cordero. I followed his story because he and I knew a lot of the same people and I wanted to make sure that I was supporting my friends. The stories that were reported were ghastly, but honestly, I think it was important. So many people were ignoring what was really going on with regards to the illness that his case might have helped save some lives.
I agree.

On My Own

You know,

No, but I'm sure you'll tell me.
the conversation continued past your policing the thread comment so it didn't end there for others.
I requested if he could stop. Didn't realize it was "policing".

It was a general observation made on my part,
Make those without referencing me, then.

yet here you are still reading the thread that you said you weren't following anymore
100% my bad. Would have prevented me from reading what you think.

. I didn't quote you.
In retrospect - thank god.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Roman’s family doesn’t give “journalists” those “updates”, but the “journalists” get the “updates” by any means whatsoever. From some unnamed “sources”.
Journalists don't create things out of thin air. They are tipped off by some people and since these people don't seem to be from Kostomarov' s close entourage, they can only be friends, friends of friends, and/or medical staff, which is a massive breach of ethics. How come your anger is never directed to these actual sources? Without them nobody would know about Kostomarov's multiple and extremely severe health troubles. Considering your screen name, I assume you are no stranger to the fact that figure skaters and ice dancers in Russia are treated like rock stars. Hence the general public calling for info. Then you have the fact that what's happening to the poor guy is medically exceptional considering his age and his original physical condition, hence the questions coming from all sides. None of us is bullying anyone. You are. Bullying us. If his family asked the general public not to ask questions, it must simply be because there are no answers. Frankly they must have more important and urgent things to do than being disturbed by what's discussed on FSU! Doctors don't always have answers but I trust the medical corps. If they are still treating him it's because they still think something can be done. Doctors don't torture their patients for the sake of it, or for experiment, especially not famous people, even in Russia. Add to it that if Roman is still alive to this day it must also be because he has exceptional physical resistance and a tremendous will to live. Most people from this board who have had to deal with Kostomarov (or who have followed his inane rants on SN) have had plenty of time to note that he is not always the nicest of men. And still, the vast majority of us feels shocked by his horrific ordeals and totally, genuinely sorry for him. Because as unpleasant as he can be, he is still a human being, (and one with a family) and strictly nobody in this world deserves to go through such unthinkable ordeals piling up day after day. We have repeated it many times and frankly, anyone who dares posting about Kostomarov being considered by you as a bloodthirsty carrion-eater who posts only out of morbid curiosity is starting to piss me off big time. So either you are a close friend of his or a member of his family and you ask the admins to close this thread until further and official notice, or you are just a fan who doesn't want to hear about the horrors he is enduring and you do not open this thread again.

I click on this thread only in the (now meager) hope that there are some good news somewhere. But even as there isn't, I'm not going to take it on other posters just because they mention things I could do without knowing. As a health worker I know that hopes are no longer very high for him. But miracles happen. As a sport journalist (I'm that too) I would never relay a 10th of what Russian media is telling even if I was paid a fortune to do so. But that's media for feck sake! As if it was new for some of them to act like vultures! Especially since the start of the Internet era. It's rich to suddenly be outraged by what they publish. I've read stuff about Kostomarov that I will never repost anywhere and I'm pretty sure Ananas Astra and many others have read them too and have not reposted it either. Noone has asked for gory details and/or if his dick fell off! You'd think we are all scavengers waiting in line to feast on his remains! I for one, still hope, against all odds, that he will live. It will take a huge miracle to save him, but again, miracles happen. So I was coming here hoping for a miracle. And if this miracle occurs, he will maybe come out of it a better man than he is. But from now on, I'll go hope somewhere else where no one lectures everybody for relaying and discussing what's free for everyone to see over the Internet. Including on some totally reliable websites hosting professional and perfectly competent journalists. The hollier than though stance that consists in saying "don't post, it's bad" is highly hypocrite to me. What are you expecting to find in this thread if it's not news and infos. Ok, it's "TMI", too much information for some people. But it's also a fact of life, human body can be resistant beyond belief. Only time will tell if it's a good or a bad thing for Kostomarov. What's certain is that so called superior virtues and morales are more often than not laughable.

I think well-wishing people are able to control the content of their own posts. This is what we can do.
And that is exactly what we do.
(I’m sorry that I say it once again.
Then don't.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Journalists don't create things out of thin air.
Pluschenko: am not sure what is going on , don't want to comment, will wait, wish him all the best
Berezhnaya: I don't know what is going on, I asked Navka whether it's true and she replied yes
Tarasova: it's awful, my legs are not holding me, I only know what is written in the press
Sotnikova: There is no one to blame, it's a normal state for the athletes to skate when will
Yagudin: I don't think the cold weather had anything to do with his state
Kostomarov's mom: I cry and pray
Fortune teller: I see the future..
A source: the state is severe
Nurse: he went hysterical learning he might have his fingers amputated
some other paper: Kostomarov screwed Averbukh with the money - he was the headliner of the shows that are now on hold!

do I need to go on?

Am sure if he dies it will be all over the news. Till he does (hoping that will happen in about 40 years from now) - since Domnina is not speaking to the press and is not giving the updates - I don't see a point of this thread except for sending the good wishes.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
No, but I'm sure you'll tell me.

I requested if he could stop. Didn't realize it was "policing".

Make those without referencing me, then.

100% my bad. Would have prevented me from reading what you think.

In retrospect - thank god.
Sigh...

You are not the only one who had asked/told people to stop posting updates.

Policing a thread is a fairly common thing to talk about in threads - in case you haven't noticed, there are quite a few threads where requests are made to stop trying to limit posting about xyz and get told that you can't control a thread.

Until you asked @tony if there was any reason he didn't quote you, I didn't put together any connection to his statements about not reading the thread to being specifically and exclusively directed to you. I can scroll back 2 pages and find at least 2, maybe more people posting requests to stop with updates.

Until you made it about you, he wasn't making it about you.

And yes. I did quote you because I'm responding specifically to you.

There is this really cool option called ignore. You can ignore a sub forum, a thread, a poster.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
As a medical professional, none of the "updates" I have heard, both from here and from other sources, sound positive. It is with that thought that I do use this thread to send good thoughts and peace to Roman, Oksana and their family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information