Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

Finnice

A leader in a Finnish evening paper says that if the so called neutral athletes from Russia and Belarus can compete in Paris, Finland, other Nordic & Baltic coutries should boycott the Olys. FOC has been strickly against those athletes comind even as neutrals before the war against Ukraine is over.
In this case, I am proud of my country and FOC.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
A leader in a Finnish evening paper says that if the so called neutral athletes from Russia and Belarus can compete in Paris, Finland, other Nordic & Baltic coutries should boycott the Olys. FOC has been strickly against those athletes comind even as neutrals before the war against Ukraine is over.
In this case, I am proud of my country and FOC.
I am too. But your participation is a lot more important to the Winter Games, I think.

Meanwhile I’m waiting for ghe other show to drop with efforts to keep Israeli athletes out of the Olys. Something tells me Bach wouldn’t be upset about that.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'd be surprised if they don't have a full contingent.

Yes, I'm sure this is exactly where it is going. Right back to where we were in 2022.
Not in Paris. They aren't allowed to enter teams - basketball, rugby, volleyball, water polo, artistic/rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, etc. They certainly won't have a full team there.

Now, by Milano-Cortina, I expect them to be back in the fold entirely because Bach is so completely in Putin's back pocket.

Vagabond

There is also the question of how athletes from Russia even satisfy the standard of not having supported the war. Who has the burden of proof on this? If it's the athletes, trying to prove a negative will be very different. If it's the IOC, Federations, or the orgazining committee, what evidence can they consider?

If anyone has a link to a web page where answers to these questions can be found, please post a link

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I just came across this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Ukrsportbase/status/1736049382380704191

Base of Ukrainian sports​

@Ukrsportbase
Today Vladislav Larin won a license to the Olympic Games in Paris.Larin appeal to the Russians to donate for the Army. He said in the video: "Friends, let's unite and help mobilized guys who are defending our motherland."The SSU is going to open a case against him for this.​

What a high bar the IOC has set for "neutral."

Seerek

A handful of Belarussian athletes have been competing at the World Aquatics Championships over the past couple of weeks (a couple of them likely to make swimming finals this week).

caseyedwards

A handful of Belarussian athletes have been competing at the World Aquatics Championships over the past couple of weeks (a couple of them likely to make swimming finals this week).
One already has won a medal! Bronze! Artistic swimming!

Vasilina Khandoshka​

Seerek

Despite calls for his suspension due to his vocal support of Lukashenko, reigning Olympic champ in men's trampoline Ivan Litvinovich of Belarus returned to the Trampoline World Cup this weekend in Baku.

His results from the World Cup series will likely qualify him for Paris.

Sylvia

TBD
AP article by Graham Dunbar (March 19):

Facing a Russia-organized potential rival to the Olympics, the IOC urged sports and political leaders on Tuesday not to take part in the Friendship Games due to launch weeks after the Summer Games in Paris.

The International Olympic Committee denounced diplomatic moves to promote the inaugural event in September as “a cynical attempt by the Russian Federation” to bring politics into sports.

“The IOC strongly urges all stakeholders of the Olympic movement and all governments to reject any participation in, and support of, any initiative that intends to fully politicize international sport,” it said in a statement published during a meeting of its executive board chaired by IOC president Thomas Bach.

Russian President Vladimir Putin decreed last year to start organizing summer and winter events under the banner of the Friendship Games, paying tens of millions of dollars in prize money.

Comment on this article by AP’s Stephen Wade: https://x.com/stephenwadeap/status/1770070706300342630
“Be clear. This is financial threat to IOC’s billions. IOC is not worried about so-called politicization of sports. It’s a billion-dollar business protecting its bottom line and monopoly. IOC not a charity. Not the Sports League of Nations. It’s a business with a corrupt history.“

ETA that this topic is being discussed in GSD today (ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine... thread).

Last edited:

Seerek

While the girl was trying to earn an Olympic license, they killed her mother. But they will still have a chance to take this license for themselves. After all, sport is outside of politics, and blood on your hands does not bother anyone.
Russia's Iana Lebedeva took bronze in the women's individual final this weekend, which effectively cemented her (unofficial) qualification for Paris.

airgelaal

The Ukrainian public TV channel filmed a program about "neutral" athletes and their return to international sports. There are English subtitles

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information