Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

Hedwig

Antique member
Refresh my memory- wasnt there the issue with the last paralympics as well and then they changed it after protests from the athlets? Or am I dreaming?

skatingguy

decently
Refresh my memory- wasnt there the issue with the last paralympics as well and then they changed it after protests from the athlets? Or am I dreaming?
No, not dreaming. The event was set to start with Russian & Belarussian athletes set to compete, and other paralympic committees announced that they would pull out if the Russian & Belarussian athletes were allowed to compete, and the IPC changed their decision. Now that was just days after the invasion of Ukraine started so I'm not sure if the sentiment will be as strong next year as it was 2 years ago.

airgelaal

It's time to become a pessimist.

Bach also said he hoped athletes from "all over the world" could compete at Paris 2024, citing that athletes’ from countries involved in wars took part in both Pyeongchang 2018 and Tokyo 2020
:sick:

our representative said that the IOC did not want to listen to the Ukrainian side

skatingguy

decently
Bach is going to be looked back upon in Olympic history as one of the worst, if not the worst, IOC Presidents. Such a smarmy, little wuss of a bureaucrat.
He's got a lot of competition - I for one don't think he's anywhere close to the level of Avery Brundage.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
He's got a lot of competition - I for one don't think he's anywhere close to the level of Avery Brundage.
The big difference is that Avery Brundage didn't give us Agenda 2020 - and he never would have overlooked the Sochi doping scandal the way Bach has bent over backwards to do.

airgelaal

Hallelujah
“We do not agree with any of the admission criteria that FIG has developed,” Rodionenko said. “Until the international federation makes changes to its document, we will not send athletes to the starts. This is the decision of the national team’s coaching staff.”

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Guess I won't be watching the Summer Olympics.
I mean I guess get prepared to not watch the Winter Olympics either, then? Surely looks like that would at the very least stick for 2026.

It's none of the other athletes' faults that this happened, and they should all be rooted on all the same anyways. The Games will more than likely be heavily broadcast on Peacock again and it's not as if you're directly supporting the IOC or any Olympics entity by paying the minimal yearly fee sales that come up for Peacock.

leilaofpaper

Also looks like they managed to piss of everyone. The Ukrainian NOC is rightly furious, and the Russians are complaining the conditions are unacceptable.

There’s no way this is about protecting athletes. We all know that Thomas Bach is a bit too friendly with Russia and so had to find any loophole to ensure they can compete.

How stupid is this that it’s the 3rd iteration of some special allowance for Russians to compete. Three strikes and they’re still in, what the hell is this.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I mean I guess get prepared to not watch the Winter Olympics either, then? Surely looks like that would at the very least stick for 2026.
I'll take things one Olympics at a time.

The Olympic Movement is corrupt and IMO it's not going to change if people keep watching it no matter what corrupt shit the IOC and other NGBs do because all TPTB understand is money. 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information