Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

hoptoad

And now it looks even more disgusting

Interesting. I wonder if this sets a precedent that Arab and Israeli athletes must now shake hands or be disqualified.

airgelaal

Ah, I see...
“This decision will allow Ukrainian athletes to participate in international competitions and will enable them to qualify for the Olympic Games Paris 2024,” the IOC said. “We are glad that they will be given this opportunity, and at the same time we are aware of the difficult inner conflicts they may have, given the aggression against their country.

“Therefore, we encourage international federations to handle situations involving Ukrainian and Individual Neutral Athletes with the necessary degree of sensitivity. We continue to stand in full solidarity with the Ukrainian athletes and the Olympic community of Ukraine.”

airgelaal

A few words from Olya

“I wanted to show my respect somehow because, first of all, I came to the piste to fence against her,” the 32-year-old Kharlan said. “No Ukrainian athletes did it before [during the war], so I was the first one, and I showed my respect by fencing against her, and I won this match clearly and fair.
The FIE has not said why Kharlan was disqualified. Smirnova and her coaches declined comment.
Kharlan said she asked the FIE president, who is Greek, on Wednesday if she could acknowledge Smirnova with her sword rather than a handshake and not be disqualified. She said the FIE president told her it would “probably” be possible.

Also Wednesday, Kharlan said she had a call with her family back in Ukraine, who were in their basement at the time due to air sirens.

Irina89

At present russian athletes in any kind of normal international competition are simply more trouble than they're worth.

No participation for them until their country changes.
Maybe they could allow the Russian fencers who left for USA to compete as AIN? That would really upset the a-holes in the COR.

airgelaal

How good it is to be russian. You can tell everyone that you were under pressure and get benefits from all sides.

By the way, putin has already congratulated. When they return, they will receive awards and bonuses. What a pleasant and beneficial pressure.

caseyedwards

They were probably forced too

Russian London 2012 gold medal-winning volleyball team help raise funds to buy ammunition for Ukraine war​

I don’t remember these names! These weren’t the stars of the team. Where’s maxim mikhailov? Dmitry mesurskey?

That Russia Brazil match was amazing! One of the best Olympics things I ever watched. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

airgelaal

airgelaal

How good it is to be russian. You can tell everyone that you were under pressure and get benefits from all sides.

By the way, putin has already congratulated. When they return, they will receive awards and bonuses. What a pleasant and beneficial pressure.
I was absolutely right.

airgelaal

I really hope that no one will change the decision 🙏 And I hope even more that other federations will support the gymnasts and also refuse to go to Paris 🙏

“Why should the president of the federation convince anyone if the athlete himself does not even think about competing under a neutral flag. In our sport, we know that there are no such people. The president and head coach know very well their athletes who can compete at the Olympics - there are only a few of them. We know these people, none of them even have the idea of competing under a neutral flag,” Rodionenko said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information