Really, part deux

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Thanks for the update @Gerry IBD is a beast and being on immunosuppressants doesn't help the infection situation!

Gerry

Short update, it's late... by Wednesday evening, Lee was still fairly stable, but very drowsy and having difficulty interacting with us. The concensus was to keep her in isolation and in a 1-1 monitored environment until the test results started to inform us a little more clearly. By Thursday morning, the predominant theory was that although blood cultures weren't definitive yet, her colitis was unmanaged, something confirmed by more testing. The doctors recommended surgery, with little delay. After much discussion, Lee opted to wait a day for the cultures to resolve further; if she was clear, there were more aggressive drug treatments we could pursue. The doctors agreed, ordered supportive measures to keep her safe while we waited for the testing.

Thursday night was rough; a return to her previous condition destabilized her, and by Friday morning, it was clear that we could not pursue the more aggressive treatments safely, and Lee opted for the surgical approach. Friday was spent re-stabilizing her and preparing her for surgery; by Saturday morning, she was as ready as she could be.

By Saturday afternoon, the surgeons called to tell us the surgery was successful and Lee was resting in recovery; by Saturday evening, she was brought up to post-surgical care, and I got to see her. Despite having just endured major surgery, she was tired but still bright. Her breathing was better than it has been in weeks, and the rest of her vitals were within 'normal' parameters for the first time in several weeks.

After spending time talking with us, Lee went to sleep; resting easy. Doctors are happy with what they are seeing, as are we... tomorrow is always another day, but I have a feeling that it will be a better day than we have seen in a while.

As @rfisher indicated, everything is connected to everything else; one sick part can mess up whole systems. @Mozart got it right; IBD is a beast. Inability to aggressively treat it while providing the best care for her hemorrhage allowed the colitis to become the weakest link in her recovery. Hopefully now that this is resolved (surgically), she can concentrate on fighting the battle on other fronts.

She dictated a facebook post for me, to let everyone know that she came through the surgery ok, that she was feeling better already, and that she was humbled by the support that has been extended to her. I am pretty confident that she will be making the next post all by herself.

G'night, John-boy. :)

barbarafan

Short update, it's late... by Wednesday evening, Lee was still fairly stable, but very drowsy and having difficulty interacting with us. The concensus was to keep her in isolation and in a 1-1 monitored environment until the test results started to inform us a little more clearly. By Thursday morning, the predominant theory was that although blood cultures weren't definitive yet, her colitis was unmanaged, something confirmed by more testing. The doctors recommended surgery, with little delay. After much discussion, Lee opted to wait a day for the cultures to resolve further; if she was clear, there were more aggressive drug treatments we could pursue. The doctors agreed, ordered supportive measures to keep her safe while we waited for the testing.

Thursday night was rough; a return to her previous condition destabilized her, and by Friday morning, it was clear that we could not pursue the more aggressive treatments safely, and Lee opted for the surgical approach. Friday was spent re-stabilizing her and preparing her for surgery; by Saturday morning, she was as ready as she could be.

By Saturday afternoon, the surgeons called to tell us the surgery was successful and Lee was resting in recovery; by Saturday evening, she was brought up to post-surgical care, and I got to see her. Despite having just endured major surgery, she was tired but still bright. Her breathing was better than it has been in weeks, and the rest of her vitals were within 'normal' parameters for the first time in several weeks.

After spending time talking with us, Lee went to sleep; resting easy. Doctors are happy with what they are seeing, as are we... tomorrow is always another day, but I have a feeling that it will be a better day than we have seen in a while.

As @rfisher indicated, everything is connected to everything else; one sick part can mess up whole systems. @Mozart got it right; IBD is a beast. Inability to aggressively treat it while providing the best care for her hemorrhage allowed the colitis to become the weakest link in her recovery. Hopefully now that this is resolved (surgically), she can concentrate on fighting the battle on other fronts.

She dictated a facebook post for me, to let everyone know that she came through the surgery ok, that she was feeling better already, and that she was humbled by the support that has been extended to her. I am pretty confident that she will be making the next post all by herself.

G'night, John-boy. :)

Thank-you so much for taking the time to update us all. I know you must be physically and emotionally done at this point so time to collapse so you can attack tomorrow. So of course never a good thing to have more surgery but culprit found and eliminated. Onwards and upwards. Take care

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
@Gerry I hope that Lee continues to improve and is able to go back to the hometown hospital soon!

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Thank-you so much for taking the time to update us all. I know you must be physically and emotionally done at this point so time to collapse so you can attack tomorrow. So of course never a good thing to have more surgery but culprit found and eliminated. Onwards and upwards. Take care
This. Glad that Lee has gotten through this latest challenge--please take care of yourself!!

Nan

Just me, retired
Thank you for the news, Gerry. Wishing both of you a good night's sleep and a restful, healing time ahead.

Jayar

I want so much to say 'Hurry up, Lee!', but I understand that her recovery cannot be dictated by wishes alone. I am so appreciative of all of the effort that @Gerry has put forth to keep us updated, and I love the enthusiasm that @Really will be posting for herself soon. Quite simply put-- I miss my friend! So, hurry up, Lee! You've been through enough. It's time for your body to start cooperating. There are so many of us here who are waiting for your return, and we have so much skating to talk about. I haven't even mentioned the meeting that my boss called the other day which she titled 'Bad perms'. Of course it was about permissions of materials that we want to use, but I immediately thought about your tiffin' perm and laughed. Can't wait to see your first posting back!

skatefan

Home in England
(((Really and Gerry))) Another step along the road ... what a tough time you are having, but it is good to read that Lee was well enough pre-op to discuss the problem and come to an informed decision. I wish you both all the very best.

Get Well Soon, Really !!!!!!!!!!

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I'm going to have my fingers sewed together so I'm sure they stay crossed ;) Sending millions of hugs, tons of good vibes and plenty of love to you both + the whole family.

Gerry

Well it's Saturday. Day 94. Over the past week, she seems to be healing well, but we have other complications... electrolyte balance and fluid management, edema, then respiratory issues today.

I'm starting to think she likes it here.

Nothing is ever easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information