Really, part deux

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Gerry so sorry to hear about this setback, but very glad that the source of the trouble was identified. Although this was a nasty thing to happen, it's good to know that she has such caring and knowledgeable people taking care of her. Hugs to you both and to the family.

Nan

Just me, retired
There always seems to be a "but," doesn't there, and it always seems to be a negative one. But......someday (soon, I hope), that "but" will turn positive and the negative ones will fade into history. When it seems dark, please remember the dawn will come.

mysticchic

@Gerry I haven't been on the computer much. But thinking about you and really. I bet she improves once the kidney problems clear up. Have they checked for C Diff?
I have my MRI today and hopefully they will be able to tell if I have an obstruction on draining cerebral fluid. If I do, i can get the shunt.
Praying for you both

barbarafan

Today is Day 163, Jayar. By my count, this was the tenth surgical procedure. At least one more will be needed, to remove the stone. Lee is a tough girl!
She certainly is. I was a bit concerned by the number of surgeries as I would expect she would be put completely under for them. I know there are diff. theories on how that effects people but I was put under 3 times
in a 24hr period last summer for shoulder dislocations and everything was working fine upstairs before my fall (did not hit my head) but after being put under 3 times I now am very forgetful to the point of did I or did I not do a certain thing and as I had an almost photographic memory prior now I have trouble spelling so I find it very frustrating...If Lee is getting the fuzzies that might be distressing as well..I just hope she is not effected but if she is it isn't such a large price to pay for getting your life back.

Gerry

Barbarafan said:
She certainly is. I was a bit concerned by the number of surgeries as I would expect she would be put completely under for them.
She has had lots of time between them, and many have been under light sedation rather than full anaesthesia. But you're right; it is a concern. Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about it.

barbarafan

She has had lots of time between them, and many have been under light sedation rather than full anaesthesia. But you're right; it is a concern. Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about it.
Agreed..it is the lesser of 2 evils...on the bright side..I get more exercise as I am forever going to do something or fetch & get distracted & later remember & have to go on another trip.:gallopin1:dog::gallopin1

Jayar

Thank you, Gerry. That is a lot for a family to go through. Now that it's May, I think that the nice weather may start to entice her to get out of the hospital. That's the positive message that I am going to send into the world today. :)

antmanb

I've just caught up on this thread after a week or so and I'm so sorry that Lee has had another setback. Sending loads of positive and healing vibes to the both of you.

Gerry

@Gerry I haven't been on the computer much. But thinking about you and really. I bet she improves once the kidney problems clear up. Have they checked for C Diff?
I have my MRI today and hopefully they will be able to tell if I have an obstruction on draining cerebral fluid. If I do, i can get the shunt.
Praying for you both

Hi there - Yes, they have checked for CDiff, MRSA, Pseudomonas and pretty much every other opportunistic bug out there... they continue to treat the infection, and think they have it figured out.

I hope your MRI is conclusive, and that, if you need a shunt, they get it right. Choosing a shunt is more art than science; there are several different kinds and manufacturers, ranging from static-pressure shunts to programmable shunts to adaptive shunts... since determining CSF pressure is difficult and also not an exact science (depends on health and is very positional, as well), the doc will prbably want to use what he has had the most success with.

After having this long discussion with her Vascular Neurosurgeon, I just laughed, called him a witch doctor, and let him choose what he thought was the best one.

Good luck!

Gerry

Happy Mother's Day!

At the moment, Lee is resting comfortably. The last 5-7 days have been a bit eventful; the Interventional Radiology team situated and installed a PEG tube for her on Thursday afternoon. Friday was a clear fluids day, and she started feeding through it yesterday with no issues... that meant she got her nose tube out yesterday afternoon!

From a few days of higher fluids, she got a bit edemic. (The medical people know this is an issue primarily because her fluid balance is so difficult to manage; she has lost so much muscle and adipose tissue, she tips over into dehydration or edema very easily.)

So last night, she started flirting with pulmonary issues again... so they gave her lasix to drop some fluid. Now the potassium-water balance ballet has started. Fortunately, we have been here before, but today was a bit challenging.

They also changed her antibiotic (finally!) On Friday; the ones she had been on made it very difficult to talk and swallow, and lowered her conscious response threshold (she spaced-out a lot, and slept a lot). With the new meds, she is much more alert and communicative. I'm hoping this continues to trend upwards.

She still has the kidney stone lodged in her ureter; we hope that the urology team can address that this week... it will be her 11th (and hopefully last!!) surgical procedure.

Thankfully, Lee continues to experience fabulous care. Her nurses, techs, and doctors have all been amazing; she has a legion of fans up here, and her care aides spoil her rotten. I think they are all saints for putting up with my BS and being nice to her anyway!

We wish all of you a Happy Mothers Day... for you guys, have a happy guys day.

Thanks for holding her in your thoughts and prayers... we love you right back.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I hope it was a happy Mother's Day up there. Congrats on the antibiotic change and losing the nasal feed tubes! She could go home with the peg tube! And I do hope the horrid kidney stone is taken care of this week.

It sounds like there is progress, but oh so slow and difficult. I feel for you all - even when I am not posting, you are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information