Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man's Best Friend (The Book Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy

I would read high brow but if I ever had the vocabulary to discuss it, its long gone. I'm good with legalese and consumer sales talk - stuff I need for work. Everything else has vanished.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Oh, but it's so delicious when Lizzy Eustace gets hoist by her own petard.
True. And it did get off to a good start, especially the opening paragraphs about the "old vulturess" Lady Linlithgow, whose "chief aim was to get rid of Lizzie by a marriage" IIRC. Lizzie was a bitch, but she wasn't a particularly interesting bitch; she struck me as being an empty vessel, really, so it was kind of a slog getting through that novel.

gkelly

The only MZB I have read is Mists of Avalon, which I loved.

I did too.

I just mentioned it the other day as probably inspiring the popularity of Morgan as a girl's name beginning in the 1970s.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Confessions of a Pagan Nun by Kate Horsely now on deck. So far, fascinating. When I finish it, I plan to send it to my former skating buddy, who recently returned to the Catholic church. I think she will like it, especially because one of her sisters is a nun. A very cool nun, I might add. The three of us got completely smashed as we watched the ladies LP at Lillehamar and sang along with Baiul's "fluffy pink trainwreck" medley of show tunes.

emason

I'm interested in hearing from those who loved Mists of Avalon. I started it many years ago and simply could not get into it. I do, however, still have my copy of it winking at me from the bookshelf by my bed. I may put it into the 'give it another try' pile depending on what some of you have to say. Critiques, please. Thanks.

I'm interested in hearing from those who loved Mists of Avalon. I started it many years ago and simply could not get into it. I do, however, still have my copy of it winking at me from the bookshelf by my bed. I may put it into the 'give it another try' pile depending on what some of you have to say. Critiques, please. Thanks.

I don't remember much about it, I read it as a teenager, but the first try I couldn't get into it either. I tried again though and got sucked right in and really enjoyed it.

gkelly

It's been 30-some years since I read it, so I can't offer a critical evaluation or remember whether it took me a while to get caught up in it.

What I do remember was that I was already interested in Arthurian legends, women's stories, and female-centered spirituality, so this book hit all those notes for me.

clairecloutier

Mists of Avalon--A bit pulpy, but great characters and involving storyline. I first read it as a teen, loved it, and still occasionally re-read it now. I just liked the whole concept of re-telling the Arthurian legends from the women's point of view. There is an interesting tension in the book between early Catholic Christianity and pagan mysticism, too. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Japanfan

Mists of Avalon--A bit pulpy, but great characters and involving storyline. I first read it as a teen, loved it, and still occasionally re-read it now. I just liked the whole concept of re-telling the Arthurian legends from the women's point of view. There is an interesting tension in the book between early Catholic Christianity and pagan mysticism, too. I'd definitely give it a shot.

This.

Also, the book did have a good story IIRC. If I'm going to read a book, a good story-line is a requirement.

But as I've said, Darkover is the better series. And there are a lot of books in the series. The quality of the world MZB builds is original and fascinating, and the story is excellent.

I'm actually going to reread the series again as soon as I'm done with the book I'm reading, The Girl with All the Gifts - it's just okay, and I might not even finish it, but I've only got about 100 pages to go. The author tries hard to make readers like and care for the 'conscious and aware' zombie girl protagonist, but I still find her a bit creepy and off-putting.

I also just took Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff out from the library, but it's written as a series of communications, emails and reports and meeting summaries. I read that it works nonetheless, but even so, find myself resistant. I'll give it a few page try, in any case. I tend to make my decisions about book quickly and intuitively - very often it is just the first few sentences that determine whether I read a book or not.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I really enjoyed Illuminae. The way it's written actually enhances the story, imho.

Also, The chemist was okay, and I liked the ending, which is more than I can say for most books, but I think a lot of the way to the end was overly convenient for the characters.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Attempting to thread the needle between offending those who consider this thread too highbrow and those who consider this thread too lowbrow and thus offend everyone at once, I have been reading mystery-suspense with literary pretensions.

Two Days Gone: I tried but could not read this. I found the writing really pretentious. I have no review, but someone else might want to give it a try. Tell me if it gets better after the first couple of chapters.

Her Every Fear: I did read this one. The buildup to the ending is pretty intense, as the heroine is particularly vulnerable and the villains are really creepy, but when the climax finally arrives, it's rather meh. This one shifts perspectives frequently and has a lot of flashbacks.

A Darkness Absolute: This mystery is set in a small, off-the-grid town isolated in the Canadian Yukon where people go to hide from the world. Most of them are criminals. The main character, a former homicide detective, is quite busy. There is a lot of snow and a nasty serial killer.

A Friend of the Family: This is a cautionary tale about what happens when you become overly invested in the success of your children, but it's also about ambition, marriage, friendship, family, suburban living, being Jewish, medicine, querulous middle age, fear of getting old, and whatever else comes up in the lives of people. This one shifts through time periods quite a bit and is sometimes hard to follow and, for me, had just a few too many subplots. There is no murder (well, there is but it's a subplot and is not a mystery); the suspense is all about finding out why everyone hates the narrator (who is not a likable guy and is an unreliable narrator to boot, of the "he lies to himself" variety).

How Will I Know You: Not so much a mystery novel as a study in people. I do think the author probably thought that the identity of the killer would be a big surprise, but...no. And again, there were just a few too many subplots.

Overall, an okay group, but I was not tempted to run out and buy other books by any of the authors. Alas.

Erin

Banned Member
Second thing was June. Has anyone read this? Published last year, and yet another employing the device of what-happened-that-fateful-summer-decades-ago-and-how-it-affects-people-in-the-present. Yes, we've all read many of these, good and bad. However, this one was different IMO - mainly because of the characters being so well drawn and engaging in both time periods, some unique literary devices, and a well-structured plot. I also liked that while there was mystery as there always is, the author let us figure various things out sooner than the characters so that we could enjoy their reactions a little better. Plus, paging @Prancer it takes place in Ohio :)

Anyway, I simply loved it so if the rest of you didn't, I don't want to hear about it. :p

I just finished reading it based on your recommendation and while I don't think I loved it quite as much as you did, I did really enjoy it, so thanks for sharing about it. I did find that it started a little bit slowly and I was very confused for about the first third of the book about how all of the characters in the past were connected to one another, although both of those things may have been more due to me being on painkillers and less about the book itself. But once I got into it, it moved much more quickly. It's not quite as tightly written as the Kate Morton books, but I'm definitely interested in reading more by her. In fact, I've already got Bittersweet out of the library, since I have another week of being laid up.

I've been trying to read Winifred Holtby's South Riding for the past few weeks, but am finding it to be incredibly slow moving. I think I'm about 15% of the way in. I think I had heard about it from someone here...does it pick up at all or is this the pace I should expect through the whole book?

PrincessLeppard

I've read a couple of books here recently. The first was Moskva, which promised to be Fatherland meets Gorky Park. It was not. I kept muddling through, waiting for the big reveal, and when it happened, I was all....meh. Also, the author tried way too hard to be poetic.

Then I read the first book in the Sylo series, which is a YA dystopian series. Not bad, though I'm still not entirely sure what's happening, which is why I guess it's a trilogy. I will say this: the author has no problem killing off what you think are major characters, so, uh, don't get attached to anyone.

Then I read Poppy Wink Midnight (I think that's the right order), and it's different. Told from three separate points of view, with one of the narrators being incredibly unlikable. My only quibble is that tarot cards play a fairly significant role in the way characters react to things, BUT THE AUTHOR NEVER EXPLAINS WHAT THE TAROT CARDS MEAN. Am I supposed to know? Am I supposed to stop and google? So that was annoying. But not a bad book by any means. (Though, like Moskva, the author tried really, really hard to be poetic and mysterious and it often just read as trite.)

clairecloutier

I've been trying to read Winifred Holtby's South Riding for the past few weeks, but am finding it to be incredibly slow moving. I think I'm about 15% of the way in. I think I had heard about it from someone here...does it pick up at all or is this the pace I should expect through the whole book?

I think I was the one who mentioned it, @Erin. Does the pace pick up? Not a LOT. It's not a very plot-driven book, it's more about just getting to know the characters and the setting. There are some intense moments later on, but the pace overall is kind of measured I guess.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
I think I was the one who mentioned it, @Erin. Does the pace pick up? Not a LOT. It's not a very plot-driven book, it's more about just getting to know the characters and the setting. There are some intense moments later on, but the pace overall is kind of measured I guess.
Holtby's earlier books weren't particularly plot-driven, either, but they were shorter and more tightly constructed. I had no trouble getting through Anderby Wold, The Crowded Street, or The Land of Green Ginger.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I just finished reading it based on your recommendation and while I don't think I loved it quite as much as you did, I did really enjoy it, so thanks for sharing about it. I did find that it started a little bit slowly and I was very confused for about the first third of the book about how all of the characters in the past were connected to one another, although both of those things may have been more due to me being on painkillers and less about the book itself. But once I got into it, it moved much more quickly. It's not quite as tightly written as the Kate Morton books, but I'm definitely interested in reading more by her. In fact, I've already got Bittersweet out of the library, since I have another week of being laid up.

Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you are better :)

Agree that it was confusing at first - my MIL emailed me last week saying the same thing, and I confess I actually made myself a cheat sheet to keep track for the first part of the book. Could've used a family tree at least.

Bittersweet is not as good IMO - I raced through it and much of it was interesting and entertaining, but my main issue was that she didn't seem to have a good grasp on how to portray the characters. One of those books where the characters themselves keep saying things about the other characters (ie he's so selfless, she's so magnetic, she's eccentric etc) but their words and actions as described by the author don't add up.

quartz

scratching at the light
Just about finished Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" and am finding it very fascinating as well as chilling. This is the first time I have actually read Atwood, having tried to read something (not even sure what) 30-35 years ago and could not get into it at all. I am now willing to try another of her books after this. Anyone have a favorite of hers to recommend?

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Just about finished Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" and am finding it very fascinating as well as chilling...
That was my reaction. I haven't read anything else by Atwood, but I'm interested to see what people recommend.
I am not making much progress with The Portrait of a Lady. Perhaps I should just throw in the towel and go for something lighter.

Erin

Banned Member
@quartz, I think The Handmaid's Tale is easily Atwood's best work, so I'll caution that my recommendations might be a bit of a letdown after that. But with that in mind, I thought The Blind Assassin was very good...the only thing I didn't really like was the science fiction novel within the novel (but you can always just skim through that if you feel the same way, which is what I did). Alias Grace is also worth reading, although I found that it fell off in the last third or 25% or so. I'd say the same for Cat's Eye. In both cases, I might have been less frustrated with the lame late part of the book if the first part hadn't been so excellent.

So there isn't anything that I would recommend without any reservations, as I would have with The Handmaid's Tale, but lots that's worth reading.

Last edited:

oleada

@quartz My sister is not a huge reader but she LOVES the MadAddam series. I believe the first is Oryx and Crake. The only other book of hers I've read is Cat's Eye and I'd agree with Erin that it really falls off.

I finished All the Light You Cannot See and I totally loved it. I feel like it's one of those books that's meant to be savored. It's such a slow build but a good one and I couldn't put it down at the end. The writing is just so good.

I was at a Japanese bookstore today (so many Yuzuru magazines!) and was recommended Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama- anyone read it?

I also started 13 Reasons Why because I've binged watched the Netflix show. It's ok so far.

PrincessLeppard

@quartz I hated Oryx and Crake with a passion and never read the rest of the series. YMMV. I think she knocked it out of the park with The Handmaid's Tale and nothing else is ever going to come close.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I finished A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline (Orphan Train). It's a historical fiction about Christina Olson who is the subject of the Andrew Wyeth painting Christina's World. It tells the family background & the story of Christina's life in Maine from a small child dealing with a lifelong disability whose formal education is cut short against her will to Wyeth muse. Christina was a longtime friend of Wyeth's wife Betsy & Wyeth spends time at the Olson house because it allows him to paint in solitude without distraction. I enjoyed the story about the relationship between Christina & her brother even more than her interaction with Wyeth.

It irritates me when critics refer to this painting as the "American Mona Lisa", & sure enough one of the writers just had to use it in a blurb on the back cover. Here's the actual painting:
https://www.moma.org/collection/works/78455

Japanfan

Just about finished Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" and am finding it very fascinating as well as chilling.

The ending was deeply troubling to me, and quite lacking in a pay-off, because it didn't end. But as someone pointed out to me, that was because "it hasn't ended yet"

This is the first time I have actually read Atwood, having tried to read something (not even sure what) 30-35 years ago and could not get into it at all. I am now willing to try another of her books after this. Anyone have a favorite of hers to recommend?

If you enjoy her writing, you'll probably most of her work. Her novels in any case. Her poetry is an acquired taste.

I particularly enjoyed "Life Before Man', which is one of her older books.

And the three part trilogy "Oryx and Crake", "The Year of the Flood", and "MaddAddamm". Atwood calls the trilogy speculative fiction, but I would classify it within the genre of post-apocalyptic literature.

I've only read the first two, but plan to reread them again before reading the third. The world and characters she created was truly unique, imaginative, and compelling, as well as highly thought provoking. And she tells a good story, as well.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

It did end, though. We know from the "Historical Notes" what happened (for the most part).

I finished the Sylo series and I enjoyed the twist and the epilogue, except of course for the very neatly tied up romance. The reason I liked Scythe so much was because that part didn't neatly wrap up. Oh, well.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I have a master's degree in English and I've never heard of "Araby." :shuffle:
It's in Dubliners, Joyce's collection of short stories. it's been at least 30 years since I read it and I don't remember a thing. Was never in love with Joyce anyhow.
I am not making much progress with The Portrait of a Lady. Perhaps I should just throw in the towel and go for something lighter.
There's some Henry James that is tolerable (Washington Square, Turn of the Screw, mainly because they're short) but I found The Portrait of a Lady just went on and on and on. And as I was willing myself to just get through it, I realized it seemed so long because nearly every sentence just went on and on and on. Dude just didn't know when to say "okay, that sentence should end."

Been reading The Emperor of All Maladies, a "biography" of cancer. Interesting but I wonder whether cancer research really is/was as US-centric as the author makes it out to be.

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
There's some Henry James that is tolerable (Washington Square, Turn of the Screw, mainly because they're short) but I found The Portrait of a Lady just went on and on and on. And as I was willing myself to just get through it, I realized it seemed so long because nearly every sentence just went on and on and on. Dude just didn't know when to say "okay, that sentence should end."...
With the exception of Confidence, I've read all the novels he'd written before Portrait, but I didn't struggle with any of them. Nor did I have a problem with The Bostonians, although I don't remember much about it (I was 18 or 19 at the time) other than I cringed a lot and didn't like the ending.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It's in Dubliners, Joyce's collection of short stories. it's been at least 30 years since I read it and I don't remember a thing. Was never in love with Joyce anyhow.

Oh, I must have come across it then. I had to buy Dubliners for a college course. But I think "The Dead" was the only story in it that we read.

There's some Henry James that is tolerable (Washington Square, Turn of the Screw, mainly because they're short) but I found The Portrait of a Lady just went on and on and on. And as I was willing myself to just get through it, I realized it seemed so long because nearly every sentence just went on and on and on. Dude just didn't know when to say "okay, that sentence should end."

That's funny, because Portrait is one of the few full-length James novels I could get through and liked. I think it was not long afterwards that he went all experimental and, for me, completely unreadable. In other words, you ain't seen nothing yet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information