Objectively speaking, who deserved to win the 2018 OGM?

Who deserved to win the 2018 Olympics?

• Evgenia Medvedeva (Евгения Медведева)

• Alina Zagitova (Алина Загитова)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sasha is DIVINE

I'm currently not a paid member, so I'm unable to search or view if this has been done before. My apologies 😇

I'm also working on a video about this topic... so research 🙌

If you need media aids:

Medvedeva SP
Medvedeva FP

Zagitova SP
Zagitova LP

Sasha is DIVINE

Without a Kaetlyn Osmond option,this survey is flimsy and baseless. I will not participate.

BB
giphy.gif

Sasha is DIVINE

It's not possible to judge skating objectively. I would argue that that is true for all sports, but I realize it's a much harder argument to make with bobsled or high jump.

Sorry, meant to say as objectively as possible, but thought I had limited space for the thread title.

screech

As much as I wanted Evgenia to win, Alina completely worked the system to her advantage, so I have no issue with her win. I do think Evgenia should have had a bit higher PCS compared to Alina, though I also think Kaetlyn should have been closer in scores in both programs, and if she hadn't had the stumble in the FS, I think her overall skating is better than the others and a case could have been made for her (though she didn't milk the system).

Sylvia

TBD
Paging @kwanatic...
Interestingly enough, I didn't agree with Alina's win--until yesterday. Literally, yesterday. I was working (or rather not working) from home and was browsing YouTube and Alina's Olympic FS popped up as a suggested video. For some reason I got the urge to finally go back and see what would have happened had I scored the event. Originally when I watched the Olympics I felt like the judges boosted Alina to a win and that Evgenia should have won. So I did my usual thing: grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, queued up the videos and scored the top 3 skaters. I debated whether I should do a blog post about what I came up with but decided I didn't quite feel like it...but I'll quickly summarize:

SP: Kaetlyn - Alina - Evgenia
FS: Evgenia - Alina - Kaetlyn
Final: Alina - Kaetlyn - Evgenia

As I figured it should have been, it was a much closer race between the top 3 than what played out in Pyeongchang, but Alina came out on top. She place 2nd in both segments but her superior BV/TES gave her the edge. Total score was 229 something. The real question was who would place second...and it ended up being Kaetlyn by the tiniest margin. Her score was very close to Alina's though (228). Overall Kaetlyn's PCS and great GOE on her elements made up for what she lost in BV and closed that gap. Evgenia, who I originally thought should have won, placed a close 3rd (227). Evgenia won the FS but Kaetlyn's SP lead helped her edge out Evgenia for silver.

So, for me at least, I'm officially in agreement that Alina won fair and square; however, having scored it, I think there's a good possibility that had the scoring been a little less bias, Kaetlyn could have had a case for silver. If I get bored I might go back and re-score it using+/- 5 GOE. Judging Evgenia's jumps, I really wanted to use that scale. I felt like most of her jumps were between a 2-3, while Kaetlyn and Alina's were in the 3-5 range; and Evgenia and Kaetlyn's spins would be in the 2-3 range, with Alina's in the 4-5. When used properly, the bigger range makes more sense. Maybe I'll do a blog post some day with my scores and a more in-depth analysis of my scoring.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't think the scoring system is as precise as it would need to be to separate two skaters over 19(?) elements by a mere 1.31. Such a close margin, the sport would have been better served by the two of them tying.

VGThuy

I voted for Zagitova. I think she gamed the system. I don't find her particularly artistic (like at all) in those programs, but I always found Med's PCS to be overrated anyway so in the end I think Zagitova's TES BV should have put her ahead. I also think Med's GOEs were kinda crazy as well. I mean both their GOEs were crazy, but I think I preferred Zag's execution of most elements. I always found Med to be so rag doll-like and gangly.

gk_891

Between the two, Zagitova. Zagitova's entry into her lutz is closer to a back outside edge than Medvedeva's. And I feel personally that Zagitova's prerotation issues on her jumps are not as pronounced as Medvedeva's are.

I personally don't care for either skater artistically.

bardtoob

Between the two, Zagitova. Zagitova's entry into her lutz is closer to a back outside edge than Medvedeva's. And I feel personally that Zagitova's prerotation issues on her jumps are not as pronounced as Medvedeva's are.

I personally don't care for either skater artistically.

Yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of watching Zagitova's 2018 Olympic SP combination at 0.25 speed with my eyes fixed on the tracing as she took off from the ice ... There was no evidence of a lutz.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I voted for Zagitova. I think she gamed the system. I don't find her particularly artistic (like at all) in those programs, but I always found Med's PCS to be overrated anyway so in the end I think Zagitova's TES BV should have put her ahead. I also think Med's GOEs were kinda crazy as well. I mean both their GOEs were crazy, but I think I preferred Zag's execution of most elements. I always found Med to be so rag doll-like and gangly.

This. It's just different preferences. I'd like to think that I have a discerning eye, but I really couldn't see Med as being any better than Zag. And with Zag's TES her win made perfect sense to me. Med's skating reminds me of Olive Oyl on Ice.

muffinplus

Yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of watching Zagitova's 2018 Olympic SP combination at 0.25 speed with my eyes fixed on the tracing as she took off from the ice ... There was no evidence of a lutz.

Um... she had an outside edge at the Olympics..not sure what you are seeing

muffinplus

This ... https://ibb.co/LQQC9t1

Keep in mind that I am not disappointed she won. I would have been fine with it going either way.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to represent or what you can see from this as she is already in the air

Her edge is a slight outside one

bardtoob

I'm not sure what this is supposed to represent or what you can see from this as she is already in the air

Her edge is a slight outside one

Tracings remain etched in the ice after the skater is in the air. If the skater is on the left leg and the tracing looks like this " ( " then it is an inside edge. If the skater is on the left leg and the tracing looks like this " ) " then it is an outside edge.

The spot circled in red has a tracing that looks like " ( ".

Last edited:

bardtoob

Do you have a picture of it without the red marking so we can compare the two pictures?

Marked:

Unmarked:

Marked:

Unmarked:

I also encourage you to watch both angles of her jump at 0.25 speed on Youtube, which is a setting available to anybody.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information