NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

Marge_Simpson

I watched "La Bella Figura" on YouTube and realized I had seen it once before. Although I can't remember when, or which company it was. If you look for it, you'll be warned of "inappropriate content" :lol:

Jubak

Just got back from ABT Swan Lake. The ranks are thinning with the men - Cornejo was out due to kidney stones, Bolle subbed - handsome, great partner but bland actor. Hallberg is out & headed back to rehearse in Russia. Radetsky out with injury, Alex Hammoudi in - looked handsome, acting great, mostly danced well although I felt I could see the ankle injury at the end. Happy to see him anyway! Cojacaru was to do Odille/Odette, but she was injured. Hee Seo saves the day again, dancing beautifully. Best outing I have seen her do. My god, that is a gorgeously costumed production! Did not have a great seat but was given to me so I'm not going to complain.

nylynnr

Just got back from ABT Swan Lake. The ranks are thinning with the men - Cornejo was out due to kidney stones, Bolle subbed - handsome, great partner but bland actor. Hallberg is out & headed back to rehearse in Russia. Radetsky out with injury, Alex Hammoudi in - looked handsome, acting great, mostly danced well although I felt I could see the ankle injury at the end. Happy to see him anyway! Cojacaru was to do Odille/Odette, but she was injured. Hee Seo saves the day again, dancing beautifully. Best outing I have seen her do. My god, that is a gorgeously costumed production! Did not have a great seat but was given to me so I'm not going to complain.

Agree on all counts. Hee Seo was incredible, so light. The crowd went wild over her. Bolle is very handsome but I concur, he lacks excitement.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Wow, did she even need a partner? Core of steel.

Alicia Alonso produces the best men ever: technique plus juiciness.

Holley Calmes

Thanks Rob! That was lovely! I saw Irina as Nikia in "Bayadere" some years ago-Gillian Murphy was Gamzatti. (If I could be a ballerina, I'd want to be Gamzatti! Speaking of "juiciness"....that's a juicy role!) So sad to live so far from NYC and other major cities where great dance seems to happen. You guys enjoy for me.

Nancy on SINY

Hi Marge. Thanks for the ABT note card and your good wishes for my health & happiness in my new home. I don't know how much live ballet I will be able to see now but I have fond memories of all the performances I saw over the years from 1971 until two years ago in New York City at ABT, City Ballet, the Joffrey, the Joyce, and City Center including many visiting ballet companies from Russia, France, Denmark etc. Enjoy the Bolshoi and the upcoming Joyce season, especially the Trocs (my all-time favorite company).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
For anyone who can access it, arte is streaming Nicolas Le Riche's farewell performance now. A 26-minute intermission just started. (All of my electronic devices are set for different times; I think this would be about 12:15 PDT and 3:15 EDT.) Left on the program are:

Mats Ek Appartement («La Porte», Pas de deux)
Nicolas Le Riche Caligula (Incitatus et Caligula)
Maurice Béjart Boléro

http://www.operadeparis.fr/saison-2013-2014/soiree-exceptionnelle-nicolas-le-riche

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I just read elsewhere that the "Appartement" pas de deux with Sylvia Guillem wasn't broadcast. Maybe they changed the schedule around so that there wasn't a gap. The last part was a speech by a French actor, then the excerpt from Caligula, then Bolero, with its scores of shirtless men :grope:

ETA: It's online now on demand, with the first piece starting at ~ 5'30":
http://concert.arte.tv/fr/soiree-exceptionnelle-nicolas-le-riche-lopera-de-paris

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Angel Corella is now AD of Pennsylvania Ballet, replacing whichever Kaiser has been running it. (There are a bunch of Kaisers in ballet.) The Kennedy Center's Michael Kaiser (no relation), formerly the business head of ABT, lead the search.

Marlowe

I just read elsewhere that the "Appartement" pas de deux with Sylvia Guillem wasn't broadcast. Maybe they changed the schedule around so that there wasn't a gap. The last part was a speech by a French actor, then the excerpt from Caligula, then Bolero, with its scores of shirtless men :grope:

ETA: It's online now on demand, with the first piece starting at ~ 5'30":
http://concert.arte.tv/fr/soiree-exceptionnelle-nicolas-le-riche-lopera-de-paris

Wow! Thank you for this! That Bolero was riveting. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it before.

Holley Calmes

Just saw a review on Networkdance.com of the Bolshoi's Spartacus in NYC. Bombastic and corny, yeah maybe, but I love it! Never seen it live. It got a great review which kind of surprised me, being NYC and all. The photos were amazing. Anybody see it?

emason

Marge_Simpson and I saw the second cast. What left a lasting impression on me was the beautiful feet of the lead women: pointed toes, stunning arches and perfect placement on the floor every time. They made everyone I've seen at ABT lately look sloppy by comparison. Also loved the fact that the corp of men were so well-rehearsed. Another complaint of mine about ABT is that they always look so under-rehearsed. Leading men weren't shabby either. The whole thing is a very OTT piece of show business but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Holley Calmes

I'm so glad to hear that emason. I know it's very OTT but there are parts and aspects to it that I really love. Some of the music I love.... I was looking at the reviews, and they were such a mixed bag. Some adored it, some made fun of it. Oh well-to each his own. So happy for you that you got to see it live. Maybe some day... (bucket list....)

Anita18

It depends!
Thought this would be interesting to all here: Misty Copeland of ABT is featured in a new ad for Under Armour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0cdXr_1MA

I think Misty is quite muscular compared to most elite ballet dancers, but that's probably why she was chosen for this campaign. :) Puts to rest the thinking that ballet isn't a feat of athleticism. (A sport? Probably not, but very difficult physically!)

Holley Calmes

I also saw the Under Armour video and I'm not sure.....of course MC is one gorgeous dancer. But their angles and lighting emphasized her muscularity so that it looked much more, well, bulky than she normally looks. Those calf muscles looked like they could slice bread. I understand why they did it and if it creates some converts to dance, more power to them. But I must admit I didn't think it showed either dance nor Misty to their best advantage.

Marge_Simpson

I'm bummed because i couldn't get a ticket for Wendy Whalen's farewell. Grrr,

emason, you were asking about my dance dates:
9/26 NYCB (Wendy in La Somnabula, and Tess Reichlin's Firebird, wheee!)
10/3 NYCB
10/10 PNB
10/17 NYCB
10/18 Lar Lubovitch (hopefully will see my boy Carlos Lopez, and Clifton Brown is in the company now. I should take valium beforehand)
10/23 ABT
10/24 ABT
11/2 ABT
11/7 Flamenco
11/16 ABT II
12/5 Ailey
12/27 Ailey
12/28 Ailey

Jubak

I was speaking with one of the retired dancers from NYCB and SHE cannot get a ticket for Wendy's farewell, so don't feel bad. She said at least she can watch backstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information