NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

Marge_Simpson

I once had a very embarrassing moment with a retired NYCB dancer, we have the same dentist. I didn't recognize him, but we were yacking it up in the waiting room, talking about whether we liked our jobs. He said he mostly liked his, but he felt like screaming at everyone a lot. I asked him what he did, and he said he was a former ballet dancer, now a teacher.
He's not a native New Yorker and had a bit of an accent from another part of the country I couldn't place, and I didn't hear him say "ballet dancer". I thought he said "belly dancer"
And so I stupidly said I'd never realized there were male belly dancers. He, of course, thought I'd said I'd never heard of male ballet dancers, and got quite huffy with me.
After he got called inside by the dentist, I asked the receptionist who I'd been talking to, and was chagrined to find out he was a dancer I'd seen on stage many times.

Marge_Simpson

Did anyone manage to snag any FFD tickets? I couldn't log in at first, then when I finally managed it, I was something like # 5000 in line, so I gave up.

Marge_Simpson

I just wasn't meant to see any FFD this year, I guess.
But that's ok, I'm still smiling to myself after seeing "Alice" last week.
You know, I saw it twice already (I first saw it in DC last year) but I'm so in love with the whole production (the Cheshire cat! the rose adagio spoof!) that I'm tempted to go to Toronto next year and see it again.

emason

The Rose Adagio spoof was hilarious, one of the highlights of the evening. Also, desperately wanted one of my own little hedgehogs to take home.

Also, if you have Sunday, October 19th, off, I have a second ticket for that afternoon. You have first dibs on it if you want it.
IIRC, that's program #5 with Les Patineurs on it.

Marge_Simpson

Yes, I'm off that weekend, and I will gladly take you up on that offer. Thank you!

The dance costume exhibit at FIT is amazing, but a bit overwhelming to me, I felt as if I had sensory overload.
It's mainly ballet costumes, but some flamenco and modern dance as well. There's a short film of Valentino's collaboration with NYCB playing in the lobby. The exhibit is downstairs, and there are more videos there - one with POB, and another with clips from various companies - I watched a bit of "Creole Giselle", I've got to hunt that DVD down now.
The highlights of the costumes, for me, were original Karinska dresses made for NYCB in the 1930's, and costumes worn by Fanny Ellsler in the 1840's. Not a typo - the 1840's, still looking ready to be worn.
I must go back again, because I was pressed for time and couldn't look at all the videos properly.

The lingerie exhibit is still on, so pop in and have a look at that, too.
The FIT museum is free, BTW!

mackiecat

I've seen a few NBOC performances the past few years and I love Alice. It would be a great show for a new be ballet goer

Marge_Simpson

This is (supposedly) the last year that ABT will do Ratmansky's "Nutcracker" here, so I decided I needed to see it again - I'm going on Dec. 19.

Marge_Simpson

Just found out today that Alessandra Ferri will be dancing with the Lar Lubovitch company at the Joyce.
Wheeeee!

MorganaLefay

Is anyone going to see Mikhailovsky? If they still have tix, I'd like to go to Giselle with Osipova and the mixed dance program.

Marge_Simpson

No, I'm booked up with other stuff that weekend, and Osipova is not my cup of tea, ditto for Vasiliev.
I wouldn't count on seeing her, anyway, she tends to cancel performances at the drop of a hat.

I get to see Wendy Whalen tonight for the last time, and Alessandra Ferri tomorrow. And "Les Patineurs" on Sunday, whoo-hoo! I'm having a total ballet weekend.

Rob

Beach Bum
ABT 2015 schedule is out. Obraztsova is dancing R&J. Marianela Nunez is dancing Cinderella.

Marge_Simpson

I think it's both hilarious and sad that ABT is making a huge deal about celebrating their 75th anniversary year, yet they are bringing in foreign imports rather than giving opportunities to their own dancers.

Rob

Beach Bum
Well, they are doing both but I always thought International Ballet Theatre was a better name for the Company.

ioana

Just got back from Fall for Dance & Patineurs was great. Great set, whimsical costumes, couple of cute falls in time with the music, started to "snow" at the end of the performance. And some really good pirouettes. Loved it -and so did my non-skating fan friend. Got me thinking that this paired up with a similar length ballet could be a good alternative to the Nutcracker warhorse that's always performed in December by ballet companies. Or at least something they could consider adding during winter months.

Marge_Simpson

kwanfan1818, I felt exhausted just watching that video.

ioana, emason and I were at the same performance. I wish I'd know so we could have met up. "Les Patineurs" was such a treat!

When I met emason on Sunday, I described the Lar Lubovitch programs I'd seen on Saturday. She claimed to believe what I told her, but I suspect she thought I was exaggerating. Like when I said Alessandra Ferri was divine, but the piece was set at a summer camp and everyone was decked out in a scout uniform. I'm SURE she thought I was getting carried away when I told her "The Black Rose" was now on top of my list for "Most Demented Ballet". Especially when I described how the woman gave birth on stage and the bad guy/devil/head Satanist held up the baby and cackled, then two of his minions ran onstage with a 3-foot-long knife and fork. (At this point I was howling with laughter and nearly fell out of my seat)
Proof that I do not make things up:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/a...ri-performs-a-work-by-lar-lubovitch.html?_r=0

For some reason, half of the Alvin Ailey dance company was in the audience, including Robert Battle. Possibly they were thinking of commissioning a Lubovitch piece for their company? After what they saw at the Joyce, I sincerely hope they don't.

That aside, Ferri looked fabulous and danced divinely. So why doesn't KM entice her back to do a few performances at ABT's 75th anniversary season? If Lubovitch could get her to put on a girl scout uniform and dance with a guy in a deer suit, surely he could tempt her with a Giselle or a Juliet.

ballettmaus

I think it's both hilarious and sad that ABT is making a huge deal about celebrating their 75th anniversary year, yet they are bringing in foreign imports rather than giving opportunities to their own dancers.

Is there any dance company in the world that has not an array of foreign dancers dancing for them?
I don't really mind; I'd rather have the best dancers in a company rather than someone who's inferior, just because they're from the country the company's from.

Marge_Simpson

Let me rephrase that: they are bringing in guest artists rather than giving opportunities to their own dancers.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Is there any dance company in the world that has not an array of foreign dancers dancing for them?
I don't really mind; I'd rather have the best dancers in a company rather than someone who's inferior, just because they're from the country the company's from.
The Bolshoi, the Mariinsky, and Paris Opera Ballets have few foreign dancers. I think Hallberg is the only non-Russian-trained foreigner dancing for the Bolshoi and Parish and Kim the only non-Russian-trained foreigners dancing for the Mariinsky. (The Matvienkos were trained in Kiev with Russian schooling.) For POB, a "foreign" dancer is someone who was trained in southern France.

The Royal Ballet and the Royal Danish used to be like them. The difference between ABT and the Royal Ballet is that RB has most of the foreign dancers on its roster, while ABT hires them as guests much of the time.

Marge_Simpson

Aran bell is now in ABT II, just in case anyone was thinking of going to see them at the Y.
I saw him last year, performing with Craig Salstein's company, intermezzo. At the time I thought he needed to get a little more muscle on him, but I was impressed with his partnering. I was sitting in front of his parents, and heard them telling someone that he's been getting private coaching from Marcelo Gomes.
He's really improved from "First Position"

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Bell was a zygote in "First Position," but he was a beautiful dancer then. He had been studying with Denis Ganio, who was a beautiful dancer who taught him well.

I wish I could see this.

Marge_Simpson

You can - come to NYC for the weekend!

I should have freaked you out and said Jules Fogarty is in the company now

Marge_Simpson

I own "First Position" and I've seen Miko live on several occassions - I almost always attend the YAGP gala.
IMHO, Miko is a fabulous technician, but her dancing leaves me cold - she always seems to be checking steps off, rather than dancing with real feeling for the music or the character.

MorganaLefay

Despite Marge's advice, I saw Mikhailovsky's ballet last night with Vasiliev. The experience was quite enjoyable (we also got discounted tix via TDF and it was an amazing value). First, it's a very traditional production, with the color palette reminiscent of childhood color photos that are now turning yellow, it's very tasteful and rather understated (no heart wrenching mad scene, what we saw was sort of subdued). I was very impressed with Vorontsova's Giselle in the 2nd Act: she is not a typical St. Petersburg ballerina (i.e. no emaciated arms, chain-smoking nervousness etc), and the fact that she has some 'meat' on her arms makes her form ideal for how I imagine 19th Cent ballet must have looked. She has a great classical form, with softness and antique-looking refinement (she is by no means weak technically, her arabesques show such control but it's clearly not rhythmic gymnastics). Her jumps were so soft and again in perfect form (you know when she moves ahead jumping backwards, I just loved those), she was a very convincing ghost! Vasiliev also jumped well, as may be expected, but he was sort of heavy on some of the landings (reminds of Yagudin and late Plush's landings). I had a pair of binoculars, but did not like the expressions that much--especially Vasiliev, he looked like a stunned zombie most of the time I looked and could have used more subtlety in the acting department. But overall, it was very good. After the show, I realized that they brought the whole orchestra with them (not to mention a couple of very stunning dogs)! The orchestra was great, added so much nuance to the score. I will probably go and see them in the modern program next week if I have time.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Thank you so much for your description of Vorontsova -- I've been wondering what she's like live as a dancer.

ETA: The critic Marina Harss recommends trying to see Anatastia Soboleva in the upcoming programs:
Anastasia Soboleva, a dark-haired beauty with liquid eyes and impossibly long limbs (and neck), fit beautifully into this poetic frame. In the first act, she was soft and over-trusting, in the vein of Carla Fracci, but here she took on an unearthly quality, as if her body were being moved by a frigid wind. Her arms had a life of their own, like tendrils bathed in moonbeams. She is a young dancer in the company, a first soloist lured over from the Bolshoi. Clearly, she’s blossoming in Messerer’s care. Next week, she’ll be performing in Le Halte de Cavalerie (Nov. 19) and Class Concert (Nov. 18 and 19). Try to see her.

I wish I could be there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information