News and updates à la Française, part quatre

On My Own

I loved Luc's SP... I don't understand the PCS, but that's pretty much a given in skating at this stage...

skatingguy

decently

Desperado

Brian Joubert with a conditional suspension of 12 months.

Seems lenient to me and he’s appealing it too.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Seems lenient to me and he’s appealing it too.
To me it seems utterly stupid. Either his wrongdoings are proven and certain and he is suspended for good, either they are not and the case is dismissed. A suspended sentence is useless. It's like putting a plaster on a fractured wooden leg. Either he is a dangerous individual for his trainees and he must be barred from coaching, either he is not.

Vagabond

To me it seems utterly stupid. Either his wrongdoings are proven and certain and he is suspended for good, either they are not and the case is dismissed. A suspended sentence is useless. It's like putting a plaster on a fractured wooden leg. Either he is a dangerous individual for his trainees and he must be barred from coaching, either he is not.
In English, there is a difference between a "suspended sentence," which AFAIK exists only in the realm of criminal prosecutions, and a "suspension." Joubert has received the latter, not the former.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
In English, there is a difference between a "suspended sentence," which AFAIK exists only in the realm of criminal prosecutions, and a "suspension." Joubert has received the latter, not the former.

I am reading the Google translated version, but translated it says 1 year suspension with two year reprieve and that if he commits new acts in the next two years, he would be suspended for a year. So that would be a suspended sentence.

I assume Cholla is reading in French and understand more about how things are done in France, so I’m guessing she has the right of it.

Vagabond

Perhaps one could call it a "deferred suspension," but the term "sentence" isn't applicable here. This was an administrative proceeding, not a prosecution.

Regardless, both the deferral and the duration of the suspension seem inappropriately light, given that (according to the links below the article), he apparently engaged in physical and verbal abuse and some sort of sexual relations with a minor.

MsZem

I see the sea
Yes, if the allegations are substantiated, one year doesn't seem like nearly enough.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Perhaps one could call it a "deferred suspension," but the term "sentence" isn't applicable here. This was an administrative proceeding, not a prosecution.
It is not deferred but the commutation of punishment into reprieve, and the term sentence signals a judgement. Ruling by an administrative court in France is a judgement.

Nmsis

Yes, if the allegations are substantiated, one year doesn't seem like nearly enough.
The disciplinary commission who was handling the case left aside the accusations for which it didn't have any testimony or supporting material.
It only considered verbal abuse, and "light" physical abuse which parents of a skater involved denied.
The commission considered the inquiry about the case insufficient. For example, Joubert had not been auditioned.

There still is a penal procedure/ inquiry about Joubert's relation with a minor.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Vouillamoz/Giniaux are finis -

Per Flavien Giniaux on IG, his partnership with Oxana Vouillamoz ended a few weeks ago.

On My Own

Not really a fan of Kevin's program aesthetically (apart from the chsq), but I do think it's the most challenging one in the men's field.

millyskate

This, exactly.
It's like the sentence is trying to reflect the fact these allegations might be entirely fabricated due to the political background, but still want to be conscious of the optics.

If true he needs to be banned from coaching for life, if not the people who are fabricating these allegations as vendetta / political manipulation need to be rooted out and prosecuted.

On My Own

IDEC if this is too negative for this thread. His jump technique is HIDEOUS and his artistic aspects are worse than that of an Eteri girl's with one of the corniest programs I've seen from a 'top' man in years - but since twitter fandom hates skaters like Uno and Aymoz, this is what passes for top quality skating according to some.

Good for the French fed to start promoting him just as he gained consistency. Would be nowhere without that prerotated, overscored 4Lz.

Evgeniafan

I'm so sad for Kevin. Will he still get selected for Europeans and Worlds? He would be in the final flight and he still is #5 on seasons best.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I'm so sad for Kevin. Will he still get selected for Europeans and Worlds? He would be in the final flight and he still is #5 on seasons best.
France has 3 men for Euros. I would be shocked if he isn't selected for that team.

They have 2 men for Worlds. I suppose if Kevin bombs his FS at Euros that could put his spot on the Worlds team in jeopardy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information