Newbie and/or dumb questions

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Ratings
What exactly are skating skills and how do skaters acquire them?
When I am judging the things I look for in skating skills are:
  • Knee and ankle action - fluidity of movement
  • Knee bend - you don't want to see stiff legs
  • Speed across the ice
  • Deep curves on edges - not flats
  • Ability to skate on one foot
  • Ability to skate in both directions, not just one
  • Do they just do lots of crossovers or can they turn quickly and quietly
  • Noisy skating - do you hear obvious noise?
  • Does the skater generate a lot of snow off their blade?
The step sequences can be key because even though they might appear to have good skating skills, if they have trouble doing even a simple step sequence that shows their skating skills are not that great. One of the times when an element can support the evaluation of a component.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Ratings
How exactly are GOEs added? If a skater does a skill with a base level of 2.2 absolutely perfectly and all the judges think it's deserving of a +5, will the element be ultimately marked as a 7.2? Or are GOEs marked more on a sliding scale- a 2.2 element can never be marked as a 7.2?

Vagabond

Ratings
How exactly are GOEs added? If a skater does a skill with a base level of 2.2 absolutely perfectly and all the judges think it's deserving of a +5, will the element be ultimately marked as a 7.2? Or are GOEs marked more on a sliding scale- a 2.2 element can never be marked as a 7.2?
Each plus or minus step in the GOE results in increasing or decreasing the value by 10 % in Single and Pair Skating and by 16 % in Ice Dance.
https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...-range-of-grade-of-execution?templateParam=15

Thus, a Singles or Pairs element with a Base Value of 2.2 points will be worth 2.2 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1, which, rounded down, is 3.54 points. The comparable Ice Dance element will be worth 4.62 points.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Ratings
I feel it right away when I land, but I'm only doing singles and that's for sure not the same thing as triples and quads ;) Anyone with better knowledge/experience?
I’d say for the most part, they know. It’s true, you can feel it. However, I’m sure it’s possible to be surprised at an UR call as well. It depends on the tech panel a lot too. See Javi Fernandez comments on is SP at Euros, haha.

sharsk8s

Ratings
When did figure skating start the tradition of throwing stuffies on the ice? Did it start with flowers and escalate? Just curious when the first throwing started.
From videos I watched it seems the tradition started in the mid 70's with flowers being thrown on the ice (the first instance I saw was the '78 worlds but there may have been earlier events). I think it must have evolved from there as a way for the crowd to get involved and show appreciation to the skater. Nowadays people throw huge stuffed animals, hang banners and give out flower crowns. I think it is cool to see how much the crowd has changed at competitions

nuge

Ratings
From videos I watched it seems the tradition started in the mid 70's with flowers being thrown on the ice (the first instance I saw was the '78 worlds but there may have been earlier events). I think it must have evolved from there as a way for the crowd to get involved and show appreciation to the skater. Nowadays people throw huge stuffed animals, hang banners and give out flower crowns. I think it is cool to see how much the crowd has changed at competitions
Apparently Canadians knit :eek: How long has that been going on ? :rofl:

JasperBoy

It is Spring in Victoria
Ratings
I think it was Canadian Nationals in Victoria in 2011. One of the sponsors...the insurance company, IIRC, brought bags of stuffies. They handed them out to sections of the audience before each skater, with instructions to throw them after the skate. But the skater never saw them. The stuffies were collected, put back in the bags, and handed out for the next skater. The section I was in got to toss the stuffies a few times. That never happened again.

Doggygirl

Rooting for the underdogs!
Ratings
I think it was Canadian Nationals in Victoria in 2011. One of the sponsors...the insurance company, IIRC, brought bags of stuffies. They handed them out to sections of the audience before each skater, with instructions to throw them after the skate. But the skater never saw them. The stuffies were collected, put back in the bags, and handed out for the next skater. The section I was in got to toss the stuffies a few times. That never happened again.
My understanding is that this "recycling" of stuffies has been done at US Nationals. The sponsor Smuckers has provided stuffed strawberries to throw, and my understanding is that those got recycled and thrown over and over. Might just be urban legend - maybe someone knows for sure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)