1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC Network Olympics Coverage

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by TanithandBenFan, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the US women's thread, the NBC Main network will likely be all over the place Thursday evening/late night with its coverage covering Team USA. In addition to the women's free skate, there's finals of women's snowboard Big Air (Julia Marino and Hailey Langland), and the downhill portion of women's alpine skiing combined (Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn) in the same timeslot. Very likely only final flight + any Americans in top 12 will be shown on the main network.

2. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I agree - that would be heavenly, instead will be surely left frustrated.

jennysk8oboe and skatesindreams like this.
  3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Last time apparently it must have been who Tara and Johnny like.

And sadly I would much rather have Scott and Sandra then "the side show act" we are getting again this year.

I am hoping that NBC offers a live stream so I can avoid the horrid commentators they have hired. (No Johnny we don't care what you are wearing, it's suppose to be about the ATHLETES not you. No Terry we don't care that Tara was the youngest OGM ever, we are OVER it, move on!)

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Counting down to U.S. Nationals!

AxelAnnie, skatesindreams and icie like this.
  5. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I pray the livestream is commentary free. Because our options will probably be Schlanger and Bradley. :scream:

jennysk8oboe likes this.
  6. missing

missing Well-Known Member

This was also part of the announcement:

Practice Streams

• NBC Olympics will offer fans streams to practice sessions for select sports, including figure skating.

AxelAnnie, Debbie S, Meredith and 2 others like this.
  7. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

It seems to be that to access any of this streaming a person would have to have a cable tv subscription. I hope I am wrong because all I have is over the air and internet through Spectrum. I noticed that the GP in France will only be recapped on NBCSN...so my only coverage will be through IN.

8. Braulio

Braulio Twizling twizzles with Poje, Soloviev and Nikita

With the Sochi Olympics I remembered there was a commentary free feed and a feed with commentary with the guys of Eurosport UK

Russia traditionally has covered all the skating so for the Games it will be the same again most likely since they have enough channels to do it

maureenfarone likes this.
  9. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Well-Known Member

Watching Tara and Johnny's commentary on NBCSN right now and enjoying their analysis very much. *shrug*

10. Sylvia

Sylvia Counting down to U.S. Nationals!

11. chattila

chattila Member

http://results.nbcolympics.com/figure-skating/team-event/ladies-short-program/1793575

OK, I meticulously went through the NBCOlympics website's schedule for what will be shown on US television. Oddly, they seem to be planning on SPLITTING most figure skating events to two prime-time nights each! For example, the above link tells us that the Ladies SPs will begin at 8pmEST on Tuesday, Feb 20, then continue at 8pm on Wednesday, Feb 21! I hope that this is just early incompetency by the NBC Sports webmasters and that NBC doesn't truly plan on dragging each portion of the skating competition across two prime-time evenings, to milk audiences. Grrrr.

Complete NBC (which assumes the NBC Family of channels) Olympic FS schedule, by day:
    -all times Eastern US-
    Feb 8 - 8pm - Team Men & Pairs SPs
    [Feb 9 - Opening Ceremonies]
    Feb 10 - 8pm - Team Dance SDs, Ladies SPs and Pairs LPs
    Feb 11 - 8pm - Team Men, Ladies and Dance LPs/FPs; medals
    Feb 13 - 8pm - Pairs SP
    Feb 14 - 8:30pm - Pairs LPs start
    Feb 15 - 8:30pm - Pairs LPs end (maybe just a recap of previous day?); also that night: 8pm - Men SPs start (huh?)
    Feb 16 - 8pm - Men SPs end; also that night: 8pm - Men LPs start
    Feb 17 - 8pm - Men LPs end
    Feb 18 - 8pm - Dance SDs
    Feb 19 - 8pm - Dance FDs
    Feb 20 - 8pm - Ladies SPs start
    Feb 21 - 8pm - Ladies SPs end
    Feb 22 - 8pm - Ladies LPs start
    Feb 23 - 8pm - Ladies LPs end (again...is this sort of thing just a recap of the previous day...or are they going to split the finals into two groups, e.g., the bottom-12 from the SPs skating the first day, then the top 12 from the SPs skating the next day???)
    Feb 24 - 7:30pm - Figure Skating Gala
    [Feb 25 - Closing Ceremonies]

debo likes this.
  12. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Shoot me! Maybe they will get viewers but not fans.

chattila likes this.
  13. Braulio

Braulio Twizling twizzles with Poje, Soloviev and Nikita

There is some confusion by your part when reading the schedule

Some portions of the skating like the short programs for ladies/men take some like 4:30 hours to finish, this means for example Ladies SP begins at 8:00 PM EASTERN february 20 and ends 4:30 hours later at 12:30 AM EASTERN of the early hours of february 21

Same case with Men's Short Program, begins at 8:00 PM friday february 16 and goes on past midnight of saturday february 17

skatesindreams, debo and Aceon6 like this.