NBC Network Olympics Coverage

Seerek

As I mentioned in the US women's thread, the NBC Main network will likely be all over the place Thursday evening/late night with its coverage covering Team USA. In addition to the women's free skate, there's finals of women's snowboard Big Air (Julia Marino and Hailey Langland), and the downhill portion of women's alpine skiing combined (Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Vonn) in the same timeslot. Very likely only final flight + any Americans in top 12 will be shown on the main network.

Carolla5501

No, NBC did not show all skaters in final two groups during prime time; just whoever Scott and Sandra liked, beside the obvious names. Speaking of: let's all cheer! No Scott and Sandra calling the Olympic figure skating on prime time, for the first time in decades. Not that I don't reserve a sentimental spot for Scott.

Last time apparently it must have been who Tara and Johnny like.

And sadly I would much rather have Scott and Sandra then "the side show act" we are getting again this year.

I am hoping that NBC offers a live stream so I can avoid the horrid commentators they have hired. (No Johnny we don't care what you are wearing, it's suppose to be about the ATHLETES not you. No Terry we don't care that Tara was the youngest OGM ever, we are OVER it, move on!)

maureenfarone

Yes. "Every second of competition will once again be streamed by NBC Olympics online, even if certain events are not being televised at the same time."
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ream-1800-hours-of-2018-pyeongchang-olympics/
It seems to be that to access any of this streaming a person would have to have a cable tv subscription. I hope I am wrong because all I have is over the air and internet through Spectrum. I noticed that the GP in France will only be recapped on NBCSN...so my only coverage will be through IN.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I pray the livestream is commentary free. Because our options will probably be Schlanger and Bradley. :scream:

With the Sochi Olympics I remembered there was a commentary free feed and a feed with commentary with the guys of Eurosport UK

Russia traditionally has covered all the skating so for the Games it will be the same again most likely since they have enough channels to do it

chattila

http://results.nbcolympics.com/figure-skating/team-event/ladies-short-program/1793575

OK, I meticulously went through the NBCOlympics website's schedule for what will be shown on US television. Oddly, they seem to be planning on SPLITTING most figure skating events to two prime-time nights each! For example, the above link tells us that the Ladies SPs will begin at 8pmEST on Tuesday, Feb 20, then continue at 8pm on Wednesday, Feb 21! I hope that this is just early incompetency by the NBC Sports webmasters and that NBC doesn't truly plan on dragging each portion of the skating competition across two prime-time evenings, to milk audiences. Grrrr.

Complete NBC (which assumes the NBC Family of channels) Olympic FS schedule, by day:
-all times Eastern US-
Feb 8 - 8pm - Team Men & Pairs SPs
[Feb 9 - Opening Ceremonies]
Feb 10 - 8pm - Team Dance SDs, Ladies SPs and Pairs LPs
Feb 11 - 8pm - Team Men, Ladies and Dance LPs/FPs; medals
Feb 13 - 8pm - Pairs SP
Feb 14 - 8:30pm - Pairs LPs start
Feb 15 - 8:30pm - Pairs LPs end (maybe just a recap of previous day?); also that night: 8pm - Men SPs start (huh?)
Feb 16 - 8pm - Men SPs end; also that night: 8pm - Men LPs start
Feb 17 - 8pm - Men LPs end
Feb 18 - 8pm - Dance SDs
Feb 19 - 8pm - Dance FDs
Feb 20 - 8pm - Ladies SPs start
Feb 21 - 8pm - Ladies SPs end
Feb 22 - 8pm - Ladies LPs start
Feb 23 - 8pm - Ladies LPs end (again...is this sort of thing just a recap of the previous day...or are they going to split the finals into two groups, e.g., the bottom-12 from the SPs skating the first day, then the top 12 from the SPs skating the next day???)
Feb 24 - 7:30pm - Figure Skating Gala
[Feb 25 - Closing Ceremonies]

Braulio

There is some confusion by your part when reading the schedule

Some portions of the skating like the short programs for ladies/men take some like 4:30 hours to finish, this means for example Ladies SP begins at 8:00 PM EASTERN february 20 and ends 4:30 hours later at 12:30 AM EASTERN of the early hours of february 21

Same case with Men's Short Program, begins at 8:00 PM friday february 16 and goes on past midnight of saturday february 17

Barbara Manatee

NBC is expanding their figure skating coverage a bit!
NBC Olympics will debut Olympic Ice Presented by Toyota, a new live, daily figure skating show airing nightly at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN beginning Feb. 10 and continuing through Feb. 24. Live Olympic figure skating competition will follow the show in primetime.

NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app will present a digital-exclusive version of Olympic Ice Presented by Toyota immediately following primetime coverage beginning Thursday, Feb. 8.
The broadcast Olympic Ice is Tanith and Scott in Pyeongchang, the online version is Charlie White, Ben Agosto, and Kristi Yamaguchi from the U.S. I love this cast!

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It sounds as if seeing complete figure skating events will be nearly friggin’ impossible, with this convoluted schedule. Gee whiz. Remember how nice it was in 2014 when US viewers could choose to see entire events live, from top to bottom, on NBCSN (where the Tara-Johnny duo has its start)? Every single performance in the sequence as it happened, live. BOO in 2018, NBC!

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It sounds as if seeing complete figure skating events will be nearly friggin’ impossible, with this convoluted schedule. Gee whiz. Remember how nice it was in 2014 when US viewers could choose to see entire events live, from top to bottom, on NBCSN (where the Tara-Johnny duo has its start)? Every single performance in the sequence as it happened, live. BOO in 2018, NBC!
I'm trusting that NBC's lawyers would not allow them to say that they would be providing full, live and on demand coverage of every single event if they could not do so. The only thing convoluted about the schedule is that it starts so late for the Eastern time zone. We have a little over 2 weeks to adjust to staying up later, so it's not that big of an issue.

I trust my TiVo to pick up whatever is broadcast and will be living on nbcolympics.com and on the NBC Sports app for the live stuff.

Braulio

For the team competition everything will be live on NBC, the men's free & ladies free will clash with some sports, but the rest of the competition wont

For the Short/Free
NBCSN will show the early groups starting at 8:00 PM
NBC will show the last 2 groups starting around 10:00 PM (or 11:00 PM in some events)

I made this breakdown of events following the tv listings and olympic schedule

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/viewing-options-tv-streaming.103042/#post-5260841

mollymgr

Reading through the fine print, it looks like NBCSN might show the early groups of skaters that NBC will be chacking live. This is listed under the NBCSN coverage for each skating event:

"Figure Skating coverage features early groups in the pairs' short program."
There is a Subject to Change disclaimer at the top.:rolleyes:

TanithandBenFan

4K COVERAGE: Chris Vosters handles the play-by-play for NBC Olympics’ 4K coverage of figure skating alongside 2014 Olympic ice dance gold medalist and analyst Charlie White, as both make their NBC Olympics debuts.

There's going to be 4K coverage of figure skating?!? PLEASE LET MY WIFI BE ABLE TO HANDLE THIS!

Barbara Manatee

Not together. But Tanith is calling ice dance from PyeongChang and cohosting the main Olympic Ice daily show. Ben, along with Charlie White and Kristi Yamaguchi, is cohosting the online only version of Olympic Ice.

sap5

Thanks, but now I'm confused. If I just tune into network tv to see ice dance (hopefully live during primetime), who will be the commentators?

Barbara Manatee

4K is extra high def video that will be shown the next day for selected events.
NBC Olympics will distribute the 4K HDR coverage, provided by Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) and Japan’s NHK, to U.S. distribution partners who will individually choose how they will make the content available to their customers.

NBC’s 4K HDR coverage of the PyeongChang Games will be made available on delay, and will include 4K footage from the Opening Ceremony, hockey, figure skating, short track speed skating, ski jumping, and snowboard big air competitions. Up to four events from the previous day’s competition will be provided daily from February 10, the day after the Opening Ceremony, through February 26, the day after the Games conclude.
Looks like we'll have to wait and see who will show it and when.

TanithandBenFan

4K is extra high def video that will be shown the next day for selected events.Looks like we'll have to wait and see who will show it and when.

I was hoping the 4K would be streaming on the NBC Sports app and I could get it through my Roku. Since my cable provider has never offered any 4K content, I'm not holding my breath they will pick this up either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information