Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

To me America is strictly the US. Not even the US of A as I know no other US anywhere.

:confused: US of A refers to individual units called states that comprise a country, and hence 'of' that country - comprising it and belonging to it.

But France happens to be in Europe and still it's France, not France of Europe (or metropolitan France if I'm talking to French islanders in other parts of the globe) as there is no other France.

Wouldn't France of the EU be correct? The difference is that the EU is not a country and/or does not have overarching significance with regard to its members' identities.

Both countries happen to be geographically in America.

North America. I have never heard Canada, the U.S. and Mexico referred to as 'America'. If non-North Americans perceive Canadians and Mexico as 'in America', they are wrong to do so.

Unlike @million$momma, I have heard Canadians refer to the US as America. But not very often.

It is very important to Canadians to be recognized as not American. Much of the general Canadian identity aims to be distinctive in comparison to the general American identity. When I went backpacking in the late 70s it was seen as valuable to stitch a Canadian flag onto a traveling backpack, the perception being that Canadians were more liked and welcomed in Europe and the world at large than Americans. Of course, Americans could also have stitched a Canadian flag on their pack, some likely did.

Last edited:

Winnipeg

Well, I am glad to read that the event is still on. Are Chinese, Korean and Japanese skaters coming?

npavel

Well, I am glad to read that the event is still on. Are Chinese, Korean and Japanese skaters coming?
a lot of Asian skaters are already in Canada or USA, so I hope all of them will be there. A few comes from Estonia as they are at juniors. Fingers crossed

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I didn't know so many other Canadians accepted what I thought was a mainly US usage. I don't really have a problem with people from other continents using the term more inclusively.
Whereas, in my experience of living in both the US and Canada with longish stints in parts of Europe, when people from Europe and many Canadians say "America", they meant the United States. I always assumed because "American" means someone from the US, or America in shorthand.

Liz V

Has anyone been to the Bell Centre? Are the seats comfortable? It looks like they are padded but that doesn’t necessarily mean a seat cushion wouldn’t help.

muffinplus

Not sure if anyone is still looking for accommodation... but Le Meridien Versailles can be booked for very cheap ( paying 120 CAD with tax per night) ...granted it's about a 20 min walk from the Bell Center but if you don't mind that that's really cheap

livetoskate

I wonder how the Italian skaters are doing? Are they still able to train & will they be able to get into Canada?

J

Jeschke

I wonder how the Italian skaters are doing? Are they still able to train & will they be able to get into Canada?
Grassl/Tornaghi will come straight from junior worlds.
Rizzo, Guignard/Fabbri are already in CAN.
Roy/Pietrantonio train in CAN.

DellaMonica/Guarise? 🤷🏼‍♂️
As they’re from the same rink as Rizzo, I would assume they are overseas already too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Update in global sporting cancellations: the women's world hockey championship originally scheduled for late March in Halifax/Truro, Nova Scotia has been cancelled.

Good thing worlds are too close to cancel. :p But I did wonder after reading this news.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Not sure if anyone is still looking for accommodation... but Le Meridien Versailles can be booked for very cheap ( paying 120 CAD with tax per night) ...granted it's about a 20 min walk from the Bell Center but if you don't mind that that's really cheap
😱 what website did you use?!? I’m getting > $250/night

muffinplus

😱 what website did you use?!? I’m getting > $250/night

Used Marriott's best rate guarantee. ( they price match and give 25% off lower rate you find) Travelrepublic.ie as comparison website... it probably still works haven't checked

You book direct with Marriott (cancellable rate) and submit a claim. Make sure to indicate in claim that the travelrepublic rate includes all taxes

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Big arts organizations in the San Francisco and Seattle area are following government directives* and are continuing to perform until/unless the government shuts down their own, government-owned facilities. (Smaller organizations have been cancelling performances and are taking a huge beating.) After Jr. Worlds wasn't interrupted, it was hard to imagine that the ISU would pull World Championships without government intervention.

*In King County, WA, this is to advise that people 60 and over (among other conditions) avoid large gatherings. Which means if the subscriber base follows this advice, they'll be lucky to get a minyon's worth of people to the ballet this coming weekend :shuffle:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Big arts organizations in the San Francisco and Seattle area are following government directives* and are continuing to perform until/unless the government shuts down their own, government-owned facilities. (Smaller organizations have been cancelling performances and are taking a huge beating.) After Jr. Worlds wasn't interrupted, it was hard to imagine that the ISU would pull World Championships without government intervention.

*In King County, WA, this is to advise that people 60 and over (among other conditions) avoid large gatherings. Which means if the subscriber base follows this advice, they'll be lucky to get a minyon's worth of people to the ballet this coming weekend :shuffle:

My daughter works in development for a big, artsy theater in DC and if they can’t sell tickets to the rest of the season they’re in trouble. So is Kennedy Center and other places I go where the demographic skews quite old.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
But then another article from this morning that says cancellation it’s not out of the question. The Health Minister of Quebec saying they know they need to make a decision quickly and are evaluating the situation.

We’ll see I guess.
Just a note that the Minister of Health is an elected person in the Quebec provincial government, not the head of/representative of the public health agency of the province (or the city of Montreal). She should be/would be taking advice from those involved in the latter agency/agencies.

Debbie S

So far, no performances/shows have been canceled in my area. My mom and I have tix to see Dear Evan Hansen in early May, I hope it won't be canceled and that the situation will be better by then.

Back to Worlds, I would hope if they did have to cancel it for spectators (and I hope they don't) that they at least have it for the skaters. It's too important an event to cancel and there's no guarantee that things would be better in a month (i.e. postponing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information