Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgan rye

Does any know which seating sections are on the judges or opposite the judges? I have my tickets but can't find a seating chart that actually shows where the judges are stationed. Just curious.

jusdes are always on the same side of the rink. to the left of the skaters entrance.

concorde

montreal is not the problem..it is an arena with 12,000 plus people from everywhere.
Personally I would rather sit with 12k in an arena than ride on a crowded subway car. Worst subway car that I have ever been on was on the Orange line in DC on the way to work. On that ride, I could feel the man behind me breathing on my neck - for some strange reason I felt dirty the rest of the way.

I still believe that I caught the Swine flu from my commute on the DC orange metro line. That was horrible - hurt to talk, roll over in bed, and the junk I coughed up was horrible.

ChiquitaBanana

Personally I would rather sit with 12k in an arena than ride on a crowded subway car. Worst subway car that I have ever been on was on the Orange line in DC on the way to work. On that ride, I could feel the man behind me breathing on my neck - for some strange reason I felt dirty the rest of the way.

I still believe that I caught the Swine flu from my commute on the DC orange metro line. That was horrible - hurt to talk, roll over in bed, and the junk I coughed up was horrible.

I got the H1N1 in 2009 too. Big fatigue, fever. Survived. Yes!

danibellerika

I take the orange line everyday! Just took it home. I've been riding for over 20 years so I think it may have helped my immune system actually (hopefully). My coworkers know I'm going to Montreal and they are concerned. One was like "Is this worth dying over?" And I was like, "This s*** was too expense. So if I die, I lived well!" But seriously, I live in a metropolis. I take the train everyday and then come to work in a building with 4,000 people in an open floor plan. Not a lot of opportunity to do the most on the containment front...

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
montreal is not the problem..it is an arena with 12,000 plus people from everywhere.

Speaking for myself, I guess having anxiety about coronavirus is to be expected, but at the same time I can't let fear run my life.

I'll be washing my hands often, try and avoid contact with my hands to my face, and will be taking antibacterial lotion with me. Additionally whenever I travel, I practice what an ER nurse friend taught me, which is to swab the inside of your nose with antibiotic ointment daily.

If you have an underlying health condition where your immune or general health may be depressed (cancer, heart disease, asthma, lupus, HIV, etc.) then you have more reason for caution. The severe cases of COVID-19 have hit the elderly and those with compromised health issues hardest.

Obviously you have to decide what is best for you, but if you decide not to attend, I promise to be there cheering on the skaters in your stead.

Lacey

Speaking for myself, I guess having anxiety about coronavirus is to be expected, but at the same time I can't let fear run my life.

I'll be washing my hands often, try and avoid contact with my hands to my face, and will be taking antibacterial lotion with me. Additionally whenever I travel, I practice what an ER nurse friend taught me, which is to swab the inside of your nose with antibiotic ointment daily.

Never heard that about antibiotic ointment in nose, think I like that, thanks.

peibeck

Simply looking
I don’t understand how that would work. Antibiotics don’t kill viruses.

I think it is more about using something considered "healthy" to protect the nasal membranes from exposure. The ointment blocks germs/viruses from contact with them.

All I know is that it is apparently a fairly common practice in every ER he worked in. 🤷‍♂️

We have plenty of health care workers on this site, I'm sure they can weigh in on the subject as to its efficacy (or lack thereof).

concorde

I took that comment as the zinc(??) Spray that you are to use at the first sign of getting sick. I have some of that in my bathroom and add it to my stuff going to Montreal.

I am excited about Worlds - I leave for it in a little over a week! But before that there is adult Sectionals. Good luck to all that are skating there! If you are skating at Easterns and plan to do practice ice very early Sat or Sun morning, I am you ice monitor.

npavel

I'm excited going to America the first time in my life and I don't care about what if ... I'll looking forward to have a great time in Montreal and will enjoy every minute.
If that implies me to stay in quarantine afterwords, or if I get the flue or if ... I'll take the next problem when it comes around and not before

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
I'm excited going to America the first time in my life and I don't care about what if ... I'll looking forward to have a great time in Montreal and will enjoy every minute.
If that implies me to stay in quarantine afterwords, or if I get the flue or if ... I'll take the next problem when it comes around and not before
Are you visiting the US as well cause if you talk about coming to America while in Montreal people will look at you strange. :)

shine

^I believe that's not just in Canada, but universal to most English speakers too. People usually say "North America" if they are referring to the continent, or even more generally, "the Americas", not "America", which is really only used to refer to the USA.

SandraMGfan

Lol. There was a time when I would get really annoyed at North Americans saying “we’re going to Europe”. Where? There’s 27 countries in a Europe!
I got over it but I still find it very strange!
(Works for Africa too! )

npavel

Are you visiting the US as well cause if you talk about coming to America while in Montreal people will look at you strange. :)
No, only Canada: Montreal and Quebec, but I never was in America. Last year I was for the first time in Asia: Japan. I'm really looking forward to both the trip and the WC.
I never was in Africa or Oceania, I'm European. 5 continents, last year one, this year one.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I just printed out my ticket(s) and I'm confused by the complimentary ticket page.

Since I'm one person in a group of 6, it's important for each of us to know which tickets to print for ourselves. We went with alphabetical by first name order, which was fine until I ran into the complimentary page. None of its numbers were the same as the numbers on my ticket.

Does anyone know what that complimentary ticket is?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just printed out my ticket(s) and I'm confused by the complimentary ticket page.

Since I'm one person in a group of 6, it's important for each of us to know which tickets to print for ourselves. We went with alphabetical by first name order, which was fine until I ran into the complimentary page. None of its numbers were the same as the numbers on my ticket.

Does anyone know what that complimentary ticket is?
That’s for your lanyard/holder. We did ours with person 1 getting the first ticket and first of the freebie tic, 2nd getting 2nd ticket/freebie, and so on. As the buyer, I sent people an email with the numbers.

skatingguy

decently
Why? Montreal is in North America.
Yes, but no one in Canada refers to it as America, and we don't consider ourselves American like they do in Latin America. America is one way to refer to the United States of America - other common ways being 'The US' or 'The States'.
No, only Canada: Montreal and Quebec, but I never was in America. Last year I was for the first time in Asia: Japan. I'm really looking forward to both the trip and the WC.
I never was in Africa or Oceania, I'm European. 5 continents, last year one, this year one.
And you still won't have visited America by visiting Canada, but welcome to the New World. :)
@npavel you better start saying North America if you don’t want to upset the Canadians. ;)
All that means it that when we say 'Sorry' we really won't mean it. :p

ChiquitaBanana

FYI when French people « go in America », they might end up in Montreal too. America is truly that one big continent once you’ve crossed the Atlantic ocean.

Japanfan

FYI when French people « go in America », they might end up in Montreal too. America is truly that one big continent once you’ve crossed the Atlantic ocean.

As has been pointed out, that is not the view of Canadians, for whom:

'America' refers to the United States of America and 'North America/'The Americas' refers to the continent.

FWIW, I have never heard of Canada referred to as America (not that I have much of a sample).

I think most Canadians would consider calling Canada 'America' insulting. The 'United States of America' is our neighbour. We are a different country with a different name.

Last edited:

kalamalka

I have a different point of view than several of the other Canadians in this thread. I have never referred to the US as "America", and get very annoyed that they have appropriated the whole of the Western hemisphere to themselves just because they're the US of America. Most of the residents I know of other countries in the Americas agree. I didn't know so many other Canadians accepted what I thought was a mainly US usage. I don't really have a problem with people from other continents using the term more inclusively.

Japanfan

No offence intended to anyone South of the Boarder but we are two very different countries!!

As they sometimes have to be reminded. Many Americans don't even know we exist. I was chatting with an American woman once and she asked me 'What's the sport in Canada?' and of course I said hockey. I had thought that would be general knowledge, just as I know that the sport in Europe would be soccer.

And I remember sitting in an American bar one summer of an election year. I chatted with an American guy who had had a few too many and kept asking me who I was going to vote for. He knew I was Canadian but I kept having to remind him.

Last edited:

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I hold two passeports. 1 American, 1 French. To me America is strictly the US. Not even the US of A as I know no other US anywhere. Canada is Canada. Both countries happen to be geographically in America. But France happens to be in Europe and still it's France, not France of Europe (or metropolitan France if I'm talking to French islanders in other parts of the globe) as there is no other France. For me Canada is Canada. So, can I come now ? 😇

million$momma

I can tell that someone is from overseas when they say 'AMERICA'. It is a term you dont hear here (I am Canadian). We call Canada, 'Canada', and the USA is referred to as, 'The States' or 'The US'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information